New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Matter scyfy series

It's not like it had to be two-way, either. This wasn't between two characters, it was a character and her hallucination.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    There was a tiny bit of sexual tension.
    I guess it either went over my head or I forgot it. I'll be doing a rewatch of the second season soon, so I'll keep an eye out for it then.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I guess it either went over my head or I forgot it. I'll be doing a rewatch of the second season soon, so I'll keep an eye out for it then.
    It was mostly at the start, when they were sharing adjacent solitary cells.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S3E3 - Welcome to the Revolution
    Show
    Wait, did David Hewlett and Roger Cross both leave the show? Why is this show hemorrhaging actors? Neither of their characters were killed off, so...at least that suggests they might return again at some point. But still, it feels so weird, especially the way Six's storyline (with the General) was just so easily wrapped up like that.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose they couldn't deal with the memory loss forever, but it looks to me the show has changed its premise, a trope I hate. Now they're anti-heroes in a dystopian sci-fi universe which is nothing we haven't seen again, again, again, and again. It's a genre I also don't care for, which is parcel to why I don't watch Killjoys and Expanse. Dark Matter grandfathered me in, so I'm sticking around, but my enthusiasm has wavered.

Still a big fan of Three.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Show
    Wait, did David Hewlett and Roger Cross both leave the show? Why is this show hemorrhaging actors? Neither of their characters were killed off, so...at least that suggests they might return again at some point. But still, it feels so weird, especially the way Six's storyline (with the General) was just so easily wrapped up like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think we're completely done with Six, any more than we're done with Four. I don't think this colony situation is going to last. Those people are in a pretty precarious position; they're at the mercy of Truffault and all the other corporations now.

Mostly, I think they wanted a way for Six to hook up with that pretty lady on the planet.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I suppose they couldn't deal with the memory loss forever, but it looks to me the show has changed its premise, a trope I hate. Now they're anti-heroes in a dystopian sci-fi universe which is nothing we haven't seen again, again, again, and again. It's a genre I also don't care for, which is parcel to why I don't watch Killjoys and Expanse. Dark Matter grandfathered me in, so I'm sticking around, but my enthusiasm has wavered.

Still a big fan of Three.
    The Expanse is bigger than the standard anti-heroes on a small ship in a dystopian world. The story usually has 2-3 concurrently running stories and jumps from one track to another track all in the same episode. The first season was more of a mystery/noir show and the second is more political drama. I actually enjoy the parts outside the small crew of a small ship more.

And true, Dark Matter has morphed into a different show than it was in the very beginning, but that's usually the case with any show with a long running mystery. Eventually the mystery is solved and the show needs to find something else to do.

Show
    Spoiler: Hypotheses
    Show
    I have a feeling that Six will be back; probably in an encounter with the Boba Fett rejects. I hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Book in Serenity though...
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-06-20 at 12:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone who likes Groundhog Day is going to love this episode. (although, once again, I have zero clue what the tech level of Dark Matter is and it often feels like they're just making up stuff as they go along).

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Dark Matter is kind of a hodge podge of sci-fi concepts. We have androids, FTL travel, alternate dimensions, fast cloning (for travel, no less), genetic manipulation, nanotechnology, low-level psychics, teleportation and now phasing and time travel (kinda).

On the flip side, every colony feels like a rustic s***hole and people still use regular guns and swords.

I confess, up until Three mentioned it, I'd totally forgot about that ... thing ... from Dwarfstar that possessed him.

Spoiler
    Show
    This was a lighter episode, though obviously that sequence at the end suggested that dark days lie ahead.

Not sure if I totally bought Five in the old lady get-up or that super-goth outfit the Android was wearing, though that vivisection scene was neat.

It also confirmed my suspicions: the House of Ishida will fall and an android uprising will occur.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-24 at 12:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Dark Matter is kind of a hodge podge of sci-fi concepts. We have androids, FTL travel, alternate dimensions, fast cloning (for travel, no less), genetic manipulation, nanotechnology, low-level psychics, teleportation and now phasing and time travel (kinda).
    You forgot zombies!

Spoiler: S3E4 - All the Time in the World
    Show
    First thing I did when the episode started was check the opening credits. Interesting to note, Roger Cross is still among them. Take that to mean what you will.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I think I spotted a few light references to 'Window of Opportunity,' the timeloop episode of Stargate SG-1. (Or maybe I'm just reading into things too much.) In any case, not sure what to make of those future glimpses. Despite Elder Five's assurances that things will work out for the best, they sure seemed bleak.

At least Three got some good character development...and learned to speak French. I actually thought it was funny that he could not memorize the specific problem with the FTL in English, but he could in French. I wonder if it was because he had no idea what he was saying? Like, he was psyching himself out because he has a perception of himself as not being good at science?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

You forgot zombies!

Spoiler: S3E4 - All the Time in the World
    Show
    First thing I did when the episode started was check the opening credits. Interesting to note, Roger Cross is still among them. Take that to mean what you will.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I think I spotted a few light references to 'Window of Opportunity,' the timeloop episode of Stargate SG-1. (Or maybe I'm just reading into things too much.) In any case, not sure what to make of those future glimpses. Despite Elder Five's assurances that things will work out for the best, they sure seemed bleak.

At least Three got some good character development...and learned to speak French. I actually thought it was funny that he could not memorize the specific problem with the FTL in English, but he could in French. I wonder if it was because he had no idea what he was saying? Like, he was psyching himself out because he has a perception of himself as not being good at science?
    Regarding opening credits: they don't mean much other than Roger Cross had a good agent. On the Expanse, there's one actor who appears in about 3 episodes and she's credited in every single opening credits.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I try to forget about the zombies. Not the best episode.

I suppose Roger could be credited if he appeared in the "Previously on Dark Matter" montage at the beginning. I guess we'll have to see. I'm not convinced Six is done with the show, though.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-24 at 11:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

New episode!

Well, I guess that answers the question of whether Six is done with the show.

Spoiler
    Show
    But is he this Agent Zero or was the Ferrous general referring to someone else? It's somewhat ambiguous.

I like Four's slide towards tyranny. And those missing ships ... remember when Future Five mentioned "the black ships"?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

Is the new season worth watching? I watched the second season but it kind of bored me toward the end so I'm hesitant to waste time watching the new episodes.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by White_Hood View Post
    Is the new season worth watching? I watched the second season but it kind of bored me toward the end so I'm hesitant to waste time watching the new episodes.
    Well, if you didn't care for Season 2, I don't know how Season 3 would be different.

The new season has mostly pitted Four - Ryo Ishida - against the rest of the crew as he tries to hold together his crumbling empire. And there's a huge Corporate War going on.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-07-03 at 02:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I seem to be the only one still on the Dark Matter train, so I'll let this be my last post unless someone replies.

I read an interesting blog yesterday by show creator Joseph Mallozzi where he laid out that there's a five-season plan for Dark Matter. His blog was basically a call to arms for fans to help spread word of mouth. If you DO like the show, maybe tell your friends about it.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/tag/dark-matter/
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-07-08 at 02:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

I seem to be the only one still on the Dark Matter train, so I'll let this be my last post unless someone replies.

I read an interesting blog yesterday by show creator Joseph Mallozzi where he laid out that there's a five-season plan for Dark Matter. His blog was basically a call to arms for fans to help spread word of mouth. If you DO like the show, maybe tell your friends about it.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/tag/dark-matter/
    I'm still watching it; my wife and I watch all 3 SyFy shows on Friday (Dark Matter, Killjoys, Wynonna Earp).

Spoiler: last episode
    Show

I'm not a big fan of the mirror universe people/plotline. It for some reason feels like a gimmick or grasping at straws.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

So, any ideas on when it's going to hit Netflicks?
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    So, any ideas on when it's going to hit Netflicks?
    If it's the same as last year, it'll hit Netflix about a month after the last episode airs. So, you're looking somewhere around September/October of this year.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still watching, I just haven't really had anything to say lately on it. I'm still curious to see what will happen to Six and Four.

Spoiler: S3E6 - One Last Card to Play
    Show
    And now Adrian and Solara have left the ship, so at this point we're kind of running out of cast members!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I think Six will rejoin the crew.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-07-17 at 11:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S3E7 - I Wish I Could Believe You
    Show
    It looks like Giggling Ghast was right. Six has rejoined the main crew. We also learn he used to have a wife and kid, but they have moved on. Also, Sarah apparently seems to hold some kind of resentment toward Three that is starting to manifest in Android. I suspect that whatever secret Ryo knows about Three, Sarah knows it, too.

As for the episode itself, I guessed that Six was in a simulation early on; it was Five's overemotional reaction that really gave it away for me. She should have been way more concerned with Six's well being than the location of the secret meeting. I also immediately guessed that when he escaped the simulation, he was still in the simulation.

I did like the twist that Six fooled his own captors and trapped one of them in his own hellish simulation. I admit to not seeing that coming.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Dat vus a pretteh goot episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess we'll never know truly who'd win in a fistfight between Two and Four. I'd still give the edge to him in a swordfight, though.

OK, with what happened this episode, I speculate that Android's stroll around the ship and leveling a gun at Three was the result of the Hacker basically testing out her body and seeing how far he could push her.

As for the dead colonist ... I have a funny feeling that Sarah is responsible. She's shown a surprising capacity for darkness; it was her idea, after all, to trap the Hacker in his own mind. Maybe she did it to help out Six and keep the colonies from capitulating, or maybe it has something to do with her current non-corporeal state.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-07-22 at 03:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

She's Agent Zero and their original predicament was the after effect of an attempt to seize control of their minds?!

Pleas note NOT a spoiler just a speculative theory that's very unlikely!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2017-07-23 at 03:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I think Agent Zero was the chemical weapon used in the last episode.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-07-23 at 02:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    She's Agent Zero and their original predicament was the after effect of an attempt to seize control of their minds?!

Pleas note NOT a spoiler just a speculative theory that's very unlikely!
    I don't see how Ferrous Corp could even have known about Sarah, unless she was already working for them before she died and reached out to them after her death. Given the circumstances she was living in when Three first met her, she did not seem to be a likely covert agent for a major, intergalactic corporation.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's assume they needed someone to infiltrate the crew, who would have modified the sleep tubes to cause the amnesia conveniently activating a beacon summoning a ship that immediately tries to blow them up once they realise the crew is awake?
    If it was Sarah she would need someone to release her which would explain the Android's predicament.
    My point is that it may not have been Ferrous Corp, but they're clearly been researching the Raza and her crew!
    So maybe Agent Zero may not be a chemical attack?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2017-07-24 at 03:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Thing is, I think it's been conclusively resolved that Five wiped the crew's memories, Hopeless. She was trying to save Six, as the rest of the crew had discovered he was with the Galaxtic Authority. She probably intended to wipe out a portion of their memories; because it was a rush job, however, she accidentally erased everyone's entire memories, including her own.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-07-24 at 09:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S3E9 - Isn’t That a Paradox?
    Show
    So, now we know when Dark Matter takes place. About 600 years in the future, so sometime in the 2600s.

And now the Raza has a blink drive again. But only for emergencies. Should be interesting to see how they use it.

Looks like their mirror counterparts are up to no good again, too.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I suppose they couldn't deal with the memory loss forever, but it looks to me the show has changed its premise, a trope I hate. Now they're anti-heroes in a dystopian sci-fi universe which is nothing we haven't seen again, again, again, and again.
    I don't know how much I'd consider that a change in premise. There were maybe a few Season 1 episodes you could arguably describe as "isolated group of amnesiacs alone on a ship," but IIRC their first planetary visit made it pretty clear that their forgotten past was pretty villainous, and it didn't take much longer to make it clear just how flawed their universe was. If you're going to call it "anti-heroes in a dystopian sci-fi universe," then nothing's really changed. It started with amnesiacs trying to figure out who they are, who became amnesiacs who found out who they are and tried to figure out their new place in the universe, then amnesiacs just trying to survive.

Since then, the changes have generally felt pretty organic, as different individuals started wanting to do more to do good for its own sake, or tried to rationalize doing good as a survival mechanism, or took a step back into cynicism. The blink drive had the potential to seriously upset the plot, but they've done a reasonably good job preventing it from undermining any sense of danger without getting rid of it completely and preventing it never existed.

As for originality, I won't disagree with you, but if you want to be simplistic, almost everything has been done before. Adventures of ship with casual FTL through space? Done countless times. Love in the time of swords and sandals? Done. Coming of age under an oppressive authoritarian regime? Done quite recently, and repeatedly. Once in a while, someone comes up with something substantially new, and does it well enough that people start copying its premise as well, but for the most part, the best we can hope for is that someone takes an old template, adds their own twist, and does it extraordinarily well.

I wouldn't call Dark Matter extraordinary, but it manages to take an old premise and make it pretty entertaining. Plus, the whole Ryo plot from last season was an interesting way to bring the amnesia story back to the forefront.