New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default An Unconventional request

To those whom play in the "Fata Fabulae 3.5 Campaign: Please read no further...

Spoiler
    Show
    That being said, my players are closing in on hitting the tenth level in my campaign and , storywise, this will intiate a MAJOR twist in the story! My players are very much into visual and musical selections being present in game and (virtually) everything that the players have been fighting for and almost every person that has rescued them or been rescued by them is going to die, the villians are going to defeat them, and they will all be scattered to far reaches of the world from one another to allow for the players to evaluate their chars and then rebuild if they wish to continue on with them at level 10.

So, then... what I'd like to ask is if anyone knows any song (Instrumental or vocal tracks) that they would suggest for this most tragic of events. I will add that they are all going to be betrayed by a leader and the Party's traveling NPC's Brother whom has been playing everyone from the begining, especially his brother. No suggestions are wrong ones! I plan to look at them all!

Thanks!

~Lynx D.
    Last edited by lynxd80; 2015-06-16 at 04:14 PM.
    Dungeon Master of

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: An Unconventional request

Maybe something like this?

So much passion.

So much sorrow.

Those poor boys really were lost.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2015-06-16 at 04:29 PM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

And to end on an upbeat note:

Spoiler
    Show
    Xenogears-Flight for when they decide, okay, let's go beat the bad guy down into paste. Or Two Steps From Hell-Heart of Courage

That said... give them a chance at some sort of victory. If you know your group can roll with it, that's okay but if not...
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    They'll be going into the "Game Changer" from a Victory. Still, they will have a minor win as they will escape certain death to be scattered and then reassembled.

~Lynx D.
    Dungeon Master of

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

On a classical bent, Dance of the Knights (Prokofiev)
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

Unluckily, I am at work, so most of my soundtracks are not available here. However, I will try to suggest some, and you can look then up, okay?

Just a reminder: My taste varies wildly between classical music and movies/games soundtracks. Just hope it will be useful.

For tragic/sad moments:

Spoiler
    Show

Music Name Source Composer
    Ashes Halo Reach Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori
    Kyrie For The Madaglene The Da Vinci Code Hans Zimmer
    Wounded How To Train Your Dragon John Powell
    Loss of A Leader Gears of War 3 Steve Jabonskly
    Tsung Horn Avatar: The Last Airbender Jeremy Zuckerman

For unpleasant surprises/thriller moments:

Spoiler
    Show

Immanence Death Note Yoshihisa Hirano and Hideki Taniuchi
    Approaching Tsunami Shadows and Nightmares Album Two Steps From Hell
    Taboo Full Metal Alchemist Michiru Oshima
    Spider Riders LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth II Jamie Christopher
    Awakening the Beast Shadows and Nightmares Album Two Steps From Hell
    Landing of The French Robin Hood Marc Streitenfeld

For the betrayal per se:

Spoiler
    Show

A Fine Mess Gears of War 3 Steve Jablonsky
    Akatsuki Naruto Shippuden Toshiro Masuda
    It Is A Trap The Man In The Iron Mask Hans Zimmer
    Web of Lies Dynasty Album Two Steps From Hell
    Moving Mountains Nemesis Album Two Steps From Hell
    Betrayed Shadows and Nightmares Album Two Steps From Hell
    Epic Music Of Epic Proportions - Denny Schneidemesser

If you don't like these or need some more, I can get them when I get home and make a proper list. Let me know if you want.
    Last edited by Senshi Akai; 2015-06-17 at 08:27 AM.
    My mother language is latin-based. Please, be patient with me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Your group may be okay with this sort of thing, but I want to warn you to be very careful with it if you're not absolutely certain they are. Having literally everything they've worked towards (except their level) destroyed, ruined, and taken away can feel like a huge betrayal OOC as much as IC. "The DM doesn't want to let us actually achieve anything" is a mentality that could set in.

The key to doing this kind of thing and "getting away with it" is hope. Give them reason to believe not merely that they can get revenge or recover, personally, but that there might be something left to save. That they might be merely separated from something they could reclaim. That they could recover that which is important to them, not merely build anew.

Building anew is something good, but in the context of a game, little can feel more disempowering than to have it pointed out that the DM giveth and the DM taketh away and there's nothing the PCs can do about it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Always like to suggest "Icarus" from Deus Ex.
    What can change the nature of a man?

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your group may be okay with this sort of thing, but I want to warn you to be very careful with it if you're not absolutely certain they are. Having literally everything they've worked towards (except their level) destroyed, ruined, and taken away can feel like a huge betrayal OOC as much as IC. "The DM doesn't want to let us actually achieve anything" is a mentality that could set in.

The key to doing this kind of thing and "getting away with it" is hope. Give them reason to believe not merely that they can get revenge or recover, personally, but that there might be something left to save. That they might be merely separated from something they could reclaim. That they could recover that which is important to them, not merely build anew.

Building anew is something good, but in the context of a game, little can feel more disempowering than to have it pointed out that the DM giveth and the DM taketh away and there's nothing the PCs can do about it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No worries! The basic rundown will be that the group will drive off their foe, but the damage will be done. The betrayer will pretend to sacrfice his life in order to allow them to teleport away to supposed safety. They'll arrive, but find they've been lied to and be completely surrounded. The BBEG's will immediately capture them and reveal that their base and leaders have all been defeated and that the remainder whom did escape are being hunted. The betrayer will appear and the plot revealed. The NPC companion will go "Mysticly charged Werewolf Lord" and the party will be able to fight back till another allied npc sacrifices herself to scatter everyone before they can be recaptured. Before her death, she will have them all plan to meet back together once the heat dies down and will set a place for them to reassemble so that they can rebuild and go on to save the world! It's the ol' "They beat us, but we'll grow and come back to win the war" arc twist!

I hardly ever "taketh away" with this group. I try to be a good DM and offer them prizes and little gifts; here and there. But, I understand what you're saying and agree.

~Lynx D.
    Dungeon Master of

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler: Because spoilered OP
    Show
    The song Confrontation with the enemy from Xenoblade Chronicles is very good for dramatic moments
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

I'd like to thank everyone for the great suggestions! I found a number of gems that I may use not only for this particular setting, but forward into the future! I really appreciate you all for posting your thoughts! Take care and have an awesome one!

~Lynx D.
    Dungeon Master of

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Mad World as covered by Gary Jules

https://youtu.be/4N3N1MlvVc4

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

Age of Wonder OST - Battle Macabre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-7rPnZhXo

Planescape Torment OST - Vhailor Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXF9I6OykBc
    Last edited by mig el pig; 2015-06-19 at 07:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

lynxd80, when this happens, would you please update this thread and let us know how it played out? If it wouldn't put you out. I'm a nosy sort of person.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

May not fit, but it is a classic that can be used for any foreboding/evil/powerful event. Especially if you can play it off with the growing intensity, volume, and speed of the 6 minute song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLJllk-0o6c

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll make a completely different suggestion.

Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    The Body.

In the TV show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, music was a constant companion. It announced thrilling scenes. It shaped the emotional impact of dramatic scenes. They even had a musical episode. But in the episode: The Body, there is no music. Anywhere. The starkness of the -lack- of music became it's own unnerving pall hanging over the proceedings. Where life and joy and violence and even rest had been filled with music and sound, nothing remained.

Nothing but the body.

So play the combat music. Play the victory theme as the tide turns. Play up the glorious power of music.

And then, when she dies, leave them in silence. With nothing but the Body to think about.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Rather than suggest one song, I'm going to suggest you listen to the soundtrack from Total Annihilation and pick out a few that suit. They are very good ambient background music, and they mostly vamp (repeat) quite well.

In particular, I'd look at 'Death and Decay,' 'Futile Attempt,' 'Desolation,' and 'Charred Dreams.' You can find the links by clicking show more beneath the video.

Jeremy Soule was a genius.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    lynxd80, when this happens, would you please update this thread and let us know how it played out? If it wouldn't put you out. I'm a nosy sort of person.
    Certainly! The finale should be tonight or the following session. I'll let you all know how it goes ^_~. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

~Lynx D.
    Dungeon Master of

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lynxd80 View Post
    Certainly! The finale should be tonight or the following session. I'll let you all know how it goes ^_~. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

~Lynx D.
    Huh, usually I notice these threads too late for my suggestions to actually be usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...HOLY CRAP, this is the single greatest piece of "Looking back at the burning city as your ship slowly sails away" music I have EVER heard.

On the hand...

Quote Originally Posted by lynxd80 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No worries! The basic rundown will be that the group will drive off their foe, but the damage will be done. The betrayer will pretend to sacrfice his life in order to allow them to teleport away to supposed safety. They'll arrive, but find they've been lied to and be completely surrounded. The BBEG's will immediately capture them and reveal that their base and leaders have all been defeated and that the remainder whom did escape are being hunted. The betrayer will appear and the plot revealed. The NPC companion will go "Mysticly charged Werewolf Lord" and the party will be able to fight back till another allied npc sacrifices herself to scatter everyone before they can be recaptured. Before her death, she will have them all plan to meet back together once the heat dies down and will set a place for them to reassemble so that they can rebuild and go on to save the world! It's the ol' "They beat us, but we'll grow and come back to win the war" arc twist!

I hardly ever "taketh away" with this group. I try to be a good DM and offer them prizes and little gifts; here and there. But, I understand what you're saying and agree.

~Lynx D.
    Spoiler: Go go gadget last minute suggestion!
    Show
    ...This particular scenario demands to be narrated over Sis Puella Magica (on loop). No exceptions.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-07-11 at 03:21 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #20

Devil

It's probably much too strong to serve as background music, but Whisper by Evanescence might be a good for the themes of loss, despair, pain.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Additional songs do not come to late! I ran them through the game, but I had some apartment problems occur that caused me to host the game elsewhere. I tried to have some of the partymembers with Laptops assist, but it was to much trouble. Ultimately, I didn't get o set the mood off right and tired players forced me to rush them through all of my detailed planning XD. However, I ended up stopping just about 30-60 minutes before I could complete the ending, which is where I'm going to focus song choices onto now!

Btw, I want to say that I truely and sincerely appreciate all of the ideas and suggestions given! You all have had some great song choices! I'm half tempted just to download all of these songs and use them throughout the rest of the campaign! Seriously: great choices everyone! Anyways, I'll let you all know about how this next session goes. Hopefully better ^_^;;. Btw, please feel free to add anything else that you think might work appropriately for the campaign! The pc's/npc's exist in a Fantasy-Steampunk world with plenty more twists, turns, goods, bads, and all points in between! Music for Locales would be most welcome (The world has all climates, dungeons, a floating city, Eastern/Tribal based islands, and more)! Elements of comedy, action, suspense, Horror, and romance are common in-game and mostly common with the party, itself XD.

Again, thanks everyone!
    Dungeon Master of

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

My Characters

Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

Games I'm running
    Runelords