New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Idle Jillian speculation (spoilerish)

I wonder if Jillian is the lost heir to the Plaid tribe...
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Idle Jillian speculation (spoilerish)

I don't think so; her last name is Zamussels, she was stated (or implied at least, I can't remember) to be royalty during her torture session/conversation with Wanda and during the issue where Vinnie first talks with Ansom he mentions that one of Stanley's actions was annihilating the tribe of Zamussels. As royalty in Erfword seems to have a habit of including their tribe in either their title or as their last name, it seems to me that it's more likely that Jillian is the queen/last surviving member of the Zamussels tribe Stanley wiped out.
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)
    Homebrew Material Index: Misty Shadow's Stupid-Huge Homebrew List

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_in_the_Mist View Post
    I don't think so; her last name is Zamussels, she was stated (or implied at least, I can't remember) to be royalty during her torture session/conversation with Wanda and during the issue where Vinnie first talks with Ansom he mentions that one of Stanley's actions was annihilating the tribe of Zamussels. As royalty in Erfword seems to have a habit of including their tribe in either their title or as their last name, it seems to me that it's more likely that Jillian is the queen/last surviving member of the Zamussels tribe Stanley wiped out.
    Wanda states that Jillian is royalty; her response ("Shush. Not so's anyone would know.") confirms it (and indicates that she prefers to keep it secret; presumably Wanda found out during interrogation). The only thing Vinnie says about "what [Stanley] did to Zamussels" (which could mean either Jillian as an individual or her tribe) is that he doesn't know.

I don't know what you're referencing about the "habit" of Erfworld royalty; the only example of publicly-known royalty (Ansom) hasn't given us a last name as far as I can recall. (Anyway, if somebody's last name does indicate royal status, Jillian wouldn't be using her real one; as noted above, she's keeping that secret.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why do people keep saying Zamussels is a tribe? I'd like to think the cast page would say that Jillian comes from the Zamussels tribe if that's the case.

Really, if Jillian "claims no tribe", then how the hell would Vinnie know that "Zammussels" is a tribe, anyways? Wouldn't Jillian keep that a secret from him just like how she keeps her royalty a secret? Zammussels" HAS to be just in reference to her last name and nothing else. It makes no sense and contradicts everything we know about Jillian both from the cast page ("Claims no tribe") and Jillian herself (she keeps things like "royalty" a secret so you'd think she'd keep her tribe a secret too especially if she "claims no tribe")!

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfFighterGuy

As others have noted, there seems to be nothing unusual about the name "Zamussels".

What intrigues me is the possiblity that Stanley -- who is not Nobility -- took control of Gobwin Knob and the Plaid tribe from someone else. He presumably usurped the position of someone who was nobility to become leader of the tribe.

If Jillian is the true heir to the Plaid tribe, it would be wise for her to conceal her identity, especially since she keeps getting captured. Wanda obviously knows Jillian's true identity and conceals it from Stanley. Why would Wanda want to conceal that kind of information?

My guess would be that since Wanda is now operating as a "Plaid" unit, her loyalty is to more to the the Plaid tribe than to Stanley personally. She may prefer Jillian as a future Overlady of the Plaid tribe, but in the short term, she has to help Stanley to make sure that Jillian has a Capital to inherit.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, she IS royalty, that much has been said. But I don't think she's of the "zamussels tribe". Either it's the Plaid tribe, or it's (as I believe personally) the Croatan tribe.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runolfr View Post
    My guess would be that since Wanda is now operating as a "Plaid" unit, her loyalty is to more to the the Plaid tribe than to Stanley personally. She may prefer Jillian as a future Overlady of the Plaid tribe, but in the short term, she has to help Stanley to make sure that Jillian has a Capital to inherit.
    That's my read on it -- the setup (Jillian is secretly a royal; Wanda knows the secret) suggests this as a possible agenda (or at least backup plan) on Wanda's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicbunny View Post
    Well, she IS royalty, that much has been said. But I don't think she's of the "zamussels tribe". Either it's the Plaid tribe, or it's (as I believe personally) the Croatan tribe.
    Hmmm... so far, the Croatan tribe hasn't acutally been mentioned in the story proper (just on Wanda's cast page description). It might tie into the current conflict somehow, but I suspect that it's a hook left for possible future stories.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I think that Jillian's last name "Zamussels" means "the muscles". She is an extremely powerful fighter and so far seems to be the hot-headed, aggressive, greatsword-wielding fighter in Ansom's party.

I have no idea what tribe she's from. I thought at first that she was the last of the tribe Stanly wiped out. But then I looked again and read that Stanly wiped out the Milquetoast clan, and vinny didn't know what he did to Jillian.