New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

The Tabletop thread in Other Gaming might be a better place to be asking for advice of that nature, since those nuts are all about the plastics.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Hey, so I just started building a Skitarii army, and I was wondering if anyone in the Houston,Texas area could point out a place where I could possibly get into a show-you-the-ropes kind of game?
    Have a handy-dandy Games Workshop Store Finder app.

Any GW Store should be more than happy to run through an intro game with you, so long as it's not during rush hour and there's dozens of people to serve. If you asked nicely at one of the Independent Stores, someone might be willing to give you a walk-through, too
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #423
    Pixie in the Playground

Has anyone here had experience running or playing the "Rough Night at the Three Feathers" adventure for WHFRP? I'm interested in running it for some friends, basically want to know how difficult it is keeping all the different plotlines on track, and how much it varies between groups, if anyone's ran it for different parties. I hear amazing things about it but sometimes I struggle to keep relatively open ended content on track for my regular players

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Question about Xenos (Marlowe, you know the deal)
    Show
    So the group I'm running DH2e for is coming up to the end of their first mission (had a few weeks delay due to various reasons) and I'm starting to plan out the next one for them.
    I'm thinking about having a distress signal being picked up on an uncharted world that's just recently popped out of a Warp Storm.

The signal is coming from an Imperial Navy supply ship that was lost about 2000 years ago in an attack by Chaos raiders while in the middle of a journey through the Warp.
    Now this is going to be a straight forward mission to confirm that the supply ship is actually the one that was lost, and to report back if it might be worth salvaging.
    The ship itself is a shattered pile of scrap, but some of its cargo will be able to be saved (how useful it'll still be is another matter), but the world it's on has, due to being in the Warp, evolved some... interesting wildlife. The main population being anthropomorphic pig men.

I was considering using the stats for the Kroot for a base, but changing some things around as these creatures will be somewhat similar to neanderthals in the evolutionary track.
    I'm away from my books at the moment, but what are some changes you can suggest for me to make?
    I was thinking of giving them Frenzy, Thunderous Charge, Natural Armour and Unnatural Strength and Toughness.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2018-06-07 at 11:23 PM.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

5. - Top - End - #425

Well, we got mistaken for prostitutes and almost died but we have successfully caused our first completely unnecessary giant smoking crater! Sieg Zeon! There shall be more.

Szofiya needs to get herself a better pistol. It's annoying to get hit after hit on someone just to see someone else get the finishing shot in. But people died and they weren't us so I call that a win.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

For people who have played RT, what do you like or dislike about the ship combat system? I really enjoy the shipbuilding minigame and tactical combat, but I find myself distinctly in the minority and I can see why; combat tends to boil down to the pilot and gunner being the only important characters, while everyone else just piles bonuses onto those two as supports. Have your experiences differed or concurred?

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

I always found it trivially easy for even low-level PCs to stack bonuses so high they're very unlikely to miss/fail, while NPC ships have much more trouble. I also didn't enjoy having to essentially play each NPC ship as a seperate party with several people in order to compete with the PCs at all.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    For people who have played RT, what do you like or dislike about the ship combat system? I really enjoy the shipbuilding minigame and tactical combat, but I find myself distinctly in the minority and I can see why; combat tends to boil down to the pilot and gunner being the only important characters, while everyone else just piles bonuses onto those two as supports. Have your experiences differed or concurred?
    I like the shipbuilding, but I feel like the combat could use some abstraction and needs to include more stuff for other people to do.

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I always found it trivially easy for even low-level PCs to stack bonuses so high they're very unlikely to miss/fail, while NPC ships have much more trouble. I also didn't enjoy having to essentially play each NPC ship as a seperate party with several people in order to compete with the PCs at all.
    There's also this. NPC ships suffer in the action economy. My solution is usually to increase the crew rating a bit, and just give NPC ships a couple actions each.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

9. - Top - End - #429
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just using the core rules, I've found NPC ships are terrible, and even low level PC's can expect to take on ridiculous odds. Either NPC ships get staffed with PC's (which takes ages), or watch as your players take down a battlecruiser with their frigate

With the additional rules in Battlefleet Koronus, NPC ships aren't too bad (NPC ships take 1 order in addition to their movement and shooting, and the effect is determined by crew rating) so as an example Target Lock gives +5 Detection and +5 BS to a crew with a rating of 20, but +15 Detection and +20 BS to a crew with a rating of 60. You can then reserve a PC crew for proper boss fight ships

The BF:K squadron rules are a little janky sometimes (it's ridiculously easy to break formation, particularly with Orks whose ships can all be different speeds), but also very dangerous (a squad of frigates can do a lot more damage than 4 individual frigates). It also speeds things up from a GM perspective, since they take a single shared movement, shooting and additional order (each resolves individually, but you don't have to think as much)

In either case, the RT gives their command bonus to someone (probably the gunner), the pilot flies, the gunner shoots, everyone else prays to the machine god or shouts at the ratings. For this reason, I've house ruled that a character can only shoot one gun, and also given my PC's two ships (thus splitting the bonus potential)

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Does anyone have weapon stats for a single macro canon shell hitting a ground target, like a tank.
    Damage, pen and blast?
    #AskingForAFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone have weapon stats for a single macro canon shell hitting a ground target, like a tank.
    Damage, pen and blast?
    #AskingForAFriend
    Sort of. The 'question of scale' sidebar on pg 221 of the Rogue Trader core book covers this. quote: "if a player or vehicle were ever hit by a starship's main weapons, the results would be as horrifying as they would be fatal." You don't roll damage. Whatever got hit dies, full stop.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Yeah, that makes sense alright. But I was hoping someone had something like stats.
    Or at least a blast radius.

Alternatively, does anyone know something ground based that does not die from a macro canon shell? From the expansive lore perhaps.
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Macrocannon shells are big but not exterminatus weapons. A well-buried bunker could survive one, as could a reasonably defended place a distance from the impact point.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

A titan with it's void shields up should survive, as indeed should most things with such a shield. Going to be an issue if the shot destroys the ground around the shield mind you, titans aren't great at climbing up and down rubble slopes.

I don't think any unshielded vehicle exists that could survive a direct hit, some would maybe be able to survive if on the far edge of the blast radius. Biotitans maybe, not sure how shielded they are in general.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

15. - Top - End - #435

Griffon

Alternatively, does anyone know something ground based that does not die from a macro canon shell? From the expansive lore perhaps.
    We're talking Titans and Tyranid Bio-Titans here.
    There are very few things in the 40k universe that can survive point-blank Titan-grade weaponry, and the smallest kind of starship macrocannon (Called a Deathstrike cannon) can sometimes be mounted upon one of the largest kind of Titans (called Warlords). They're just a whole order of magnitude bigger and more powerful than any kind of conventional weapons, even artillery.

Similarly, you could maybe include Greater Daemons and some of *the* most powerful (known as Alpha-Plus rank) Psykers. By the time you're reaching that kind of power, however, things like physics and thermodynamics are completely off the table so you can do whatever you want and say that they will probably win.

As for blast radius, they're typically measured in terms of kilotonnes; have a browse through YouTube and you can probably find an appropriate image. The video that I opened showed a 1kilotonne explosion having a blast height of 1300 feet and a diameter of about the same; the bomb dropped on Hiroshima was about 15kt and had a diameter of about 2 miles, plus fallout. Make of that what you wish for the weapons in your game, but sufficed to say your characters probably aren't going to outrun them.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-06-22 at 07:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

" We should Macro Cannon the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure. "
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2018-06-22 at 12:20 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

17. - Top - End - #437
    Barbarian in the Playground

Damage, pen and blast?
    #AskingForAFriend
    Once again, Battlefleet Koronus has your back

Quote Originally Posted by RT: BFK p133 Orbital Bombardment sidebar
    (E)ach separate shell or energy blast affects a relatively small area of little more than a few dozen metres across, and anything directly hit is completely destroyed. However, the sheer volume of fire and the ensuing kiloton explosions, raging plasma fires, and hellish blast waves affects everything within ten square kilometres. Damage: ... Individuals and Vehicles 4d10+5; Pen 4 (unless the individual is within the initial impact radius, at which point they die, and must spend a Fate Point)
    I'm not going to go into the physics of an kinetic strike from orbit only insta-killing 'a few dozen metres', but there's the rules on the matter

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Now I'm wondering if personal energy shields would/should protect against such hits in game. It could be quite amusing if nothing else to see a character with an 80% protection chance be left standing on a tiny pinnacle of rock in a crater, or plunge into the crater as the world around them cracks.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Now I'm wondering if personal energy shields would/should protect against such hits in game. It could be quite amusing if nothing else to see a character with an 80% protection chance be left standing on a tiny pinnacle of rock in a crater, or plunge into the crater as the world around them cracks.
    You'd have to play it by ear. Either no as the characher asphyxiates and burns alive from the constant fire (as opposed to a single plasma bolt) or yes and the character is flung free of the blast area by the concussion, but is largely preserved from serious damage (maybe a broken arm for versimiltude).
    Last edited by Sinewmire; 2018-06-29 at 05:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440

Well, Szofiya captured herself a bolt pistol, we killed a whole bunch of cops, blamed it on the Ministorum, and obtained possession of a Haywire mine capable of shutting down an entire Hive. It's a matter of when now, not if.

Currently off to stealthily and subtly rescue someone without caused unnecessary casualties. No. Really. That's the plan. And you know what people say about plans.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    ...obtained possession of a Haywire mine capable of shutting down an entire Hive. It's a matter of when now, not if.
    By the Dark Gods! Such archeotech is rare, but poweful! If you've read Necropolis you'll know the sort of damage those things can wreak.

Edit - Warp take it, those were some heretical typos!
    Last edited by Sinewmire; 2018-07-03 at 02:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442

Griffon

That's how you know that your GM is setting you up for a fall.

"Wow, a Bolt weapon, all of my very own! Only 3 more adventures' worth of pay, and I'll be able to afford to fire a whole clip!"

It's one of the hidden - but irrevocable - rules of Dark Heresy, along with "only Bad Things can be found in books" and "Friendly Navigators exist solely to teach you how to make WP tests".

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Sinewmire;23192607]
    ...obtained possession of a Haywire mine capable of shutting down an entire Hive. It's a matter of when now, not if.
    QUOTE]

By the Dark Gods! Such archeotech is rare, but poweful! If you're read Necropolis you'll know the sort of damage those things can wreak.
    I wouldn't do that *shifty eyes*

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

24. - Top - End - #444

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    This is certainly an issue. Ships tend to be similar enough that your party will find their ship-combat wheelhouse and stick to it, and that wheelhouse is usually shoot a big gun very accurately.

Another issue (for me at least) is that, much like the old D&D "The wizard's spellbook is so vulnerable that the rules of fun actually make it invulnerable" the ship is pretty much the whole game. Certainly, the party could eventually get a new ship, but that's a campaign arc in and of itself. Heck, even severe ship damage technically takes a long and expensive time to repair.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

25. - Top - End - #445

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    That's how you know that your GM is setting you up for a fall.

"Wow, a Bolt weapon, all of my very own! Only 3 more adventures' worth of pay, and I'll be able to afford to fire a whole clip!"

It's one of the hidden - but irrevocable - rules of Dark Heresy, along with "only Bad Things can be found in books" and "Friendly Navigators exist solely to teach you how to make WP tests".
    Don't worry, I scrounged 2 extra clips. By scrounged I mean, "took them off the bubbling pop-eyed ruin of the previous owner."

I wanted a hot-shot laspistol. But our Skitarii scored that. I got gun envy.

By the Dark Gods! Such archeotech is rare, but poweful!
    And I; for one, don't want anything to do with that damned thing. As a Voidborn Szofiya's entirely pragmatic fear of such things trumps even the superstitious fear the other have. On a Hive city such a thing would wreak havoc; on a ship or orbital habitat it's a death sentence for everyone on board.

Still, better we have it than the enemy, right?

It's not as though we would cause destruction for no reason; right?

Only when it's funny.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

This is certainly an issue. Ships tend to be similar enough that your party will find their ship-combat wheelhouse and stick to it, and that wheelhouse is usually shoot a big gun very accurately.

Another issue (for me at least) is that, much like the old D&D "The wizard's spellbook is so vulnerable that the rules of fun actually make it invulnerable" the ship is pretty much the whole game. Certainly, the party could eventually get a new ship, but that's a campaign arc in and of itself. Heck, even severe ship damage technically takes a long and expensive time to repair.
    Yeah. I found that my group were 2-3 times faster than the base speed of their ship, and could annihilate anything in their weight class in a round or two, to the point where they were dispatching squadrons of similar sized vessels with ease. Yet, if I put them against something bigger, if they got within weapons range they'd be popped like a bubble. This was their first ship combat.

It was not really something I could balance - if I was running it again I'd have to seriously overhaul the shipboard stuff to make it harder for the players. It's a fairly faithful representation of the ship battles in Battlefleet Gothic, which is fine for a game where one player controls a dozen ships but simply isn't entertaining for a game where a half-dozen people control *one* ship. I think I'd have to do stuff like have someone working to get the void shields back up, rather than have it happen automatically, and have social characters rallying the crew to reload in order to allow the gunners to fire full salvos, maybe?

Still, better we have it than the enemy, right?
    It's not as though we would cause destruction for no reason; right?
    Only when it's funny.
    Denethor: Not used, I say, unless at the uttermost end of need, but set beyond his grasp, save by a victory so final that what befell would not trouble us...

27. - Top - End - #447

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post

Denethor: Not used, I say, unless at the uttermost end of need, but set beyond his grasp, save by a victory so final that what befell would not trouble us...
    In case you're wondering, we've got it installed into Jenny (our Arvus Lighter) so that Jenny can chose, if she so wishes, he detonate it herself. No, this wasn't my idea. I think our Adept thinks of it as a final revenge-from-beyond-the-grave option should we get TPKed.

Szofiya doesn't really like this. Seems too Federation. And she thinks of Jenny as kind of her kid and doesn't like her being asked to make that sort of decision.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Szofiya doesn't really like this. Seems too Federation. And she thinks of Jenny as kind of her kid and doesn't like her being asked to make that sort of decision.
    Which is funny, because the Machine Spirit of the Arvus Lighter (Jenny) thinks about all of you as her soft, squishy, meat-sack children .

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Which is funny, because the Machine Spirit of the Arvus Lighter (Jenny) thinks about all of you as her soft, squishy, meat-sack children .
    You really should read those Culture books.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Yeah. I found that my group were 2-3 times faster than the base speed of their ship, and could annihilate anything in their weight class in a round or two, to the point where they were dispatching squadrons of similar sized vessels with ease. Yet, if I put them against something bigger, if they got within weapons range they'd be popped like a bubble. This was their first ship combat.

It was not really something I could balance - if I was running it again I'd have to seriously overhaul the shipboard stuff to make it harder for the players. It's a fairly faithful representation of the ship battles in Battlefleet Gothic, which is fine for a game where one player controls a dozen ships but simply isn't entertaining for a game where a half-dozen people control *one* ship. I think I'd have to do stuff like have someone working to get the void shields back up, rather than have it happen automatically, and have social characters rallying the crew to reload in order to allow the gunners to fire full salvos, maybe?
    This is the problem in all games with ships. Either it's really difficult to get a ship able to take on another ship in the same class in a straight fight and fly away without needing to spend months being repaired, or player ships quickly become powerful enough to take out squadrons of military craft.

One thing you can do is to start to rigorously apply limitations on the cargo they can carry. Sure, adding more powerful engines might seem like an obvious choice but you have to remove something to make space for the larger engines and increased fuel/remass requirements. What will most players remove? That's right, cargo space, and that means less potential profit from every trip.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.