New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Having a reasonably skilled Voidmaster pilot makes a far greater difference in terms of combat speed than the small differential between a light cruiser and a frigate. Speed is important for life, but in terms of ship design its impact is smaller than stuff like armor or guns that a good pilot can't make up for.
    And I have a VERY good pilot (incidentally played by the same player who wants to play a flirty Wood Elf in WHFRP)! I think I'll go with light cruiser, then. Thanks, Glyphstone!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer & 40K RPGs Thread III: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Heresies?

Ok, more Rogue Trader/DH 2E questions. I just ran them through Forsaken Bounty (which gives a lot of Profit, which seems...off. If someone could elaborate on that, that'd be swell) and im gonna start them on the "main quest" of the campaign before i finish off the Forsaken Bounty story with Dark Frontier.

The idea im going with is basically a straight rip of Treasure Planet. A planet, almost literally, made of treasure is out in the Koronus expanse, the dumping ground of a millennia of a xenos' pirates treasure trove, and the PCs are going to stumble across part of the map that will point the way. The "map" is broken into multiple parts: The Projection Sphere, the Scarab Coin, the Voidwhale Coin, the Crotalid Coin, the Razorwing Coin, the Hound Coin, and the Ambull Coin. The Sphere is a golden orb with 6 slots on it for the various coins, and when the coins are placed correctly and the Sphere activated it projects a map. Now, the map can be read with only 4 coins, but it requires the user to be sure that the coins are in the correct spots which will be a Hard Logic test, with any less coins there isn't enough info for a guess.

Now, of course the PCs won't be the only ones going after the treasure. Currently two coins have been found, the Crotalid Coin by Captain Diutinus "John" Argenteus (aka Google Latin for Long John Silver) and the Hound Coin by Archon Irehia Baesrith of the Iron Claw Kabal.

Captain Argenteus is an anomaly. Not only is he a fairly well off Rogue Trader who came from, quite literally, the back end of nowhere by inheriting his warrant of trade, but he's also an Orgyn. And not just an Ogryn, an Ogryn cyborg, making his already fearsome physical presence even more so. He inherited the Warrant from the previous Captain Argenteus, who spelled out that his dynasty would go to a young man named John upon the world of Scylix VII. The only problem was, the world was inhabited by Ogryns, and, unluckily for the crew, one of them was named John. Fortunately, Argenteus' Seneschal, David "Black Dog" Pew, had connections with the Mechanicus and was able to get him the B.O.N.E. Head enhancment, which worked beyond all expectations. Now, Captain Diutinus "John" Argenteus, he took the Kroronus Expanse by storm, making a tidy profit for himself smashing enemies and looting ancient worlds. He controls half a dozen Raiders, 3 Frigates and a singular Light Cruiser, the Golden Hind, his flagship. He came into possession of the Coin on a small backwater moon. He found it in a cave among several hieroglyphics explaining what it was, and where it led.

Conversely, while Argenteus is on the up, Archon Irehia Baesrith is very much on the way down. Her Kabal has had a string of catastrophic failures and just over all bad luck. She was down to half a dozen Raiders and her Flagships, the Eternal Torment, when she stumbled across the coin. Now, with the promise of a literal planets worth of treasure she has been able to attract mercenaries and corsairs to her banner and he fleet has swelled to over 20 vessels of various descriptions. She is a cold and calculating opponent, all the more dangerous because o her desperation.

Ok, so theres who my PCs (in their single Frigate) will be facing. The PCs are going to get the Scarab Coin in lieu of traditional payment and so will start our adventure. What i need is:

1: Build ideas for the Big NPCs above (particularly how one goes about making an Ogryn in DH 2)
    2. Ships for the above people. (Argenteus im probably gonna have to build myself, though id like more Deldar ship options if anyone has any recommendations)
    3. Fun set piece ideas. I have several ideas for how to go about doing this adventure, but more is always helpful.
    4. Other random complications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Thank you so much for the help, guys! I had forgotten that there were novels I could look at. Do they assume a certain level of knowledge of the setting (like some of the later Star Wars novels do) or can I just dive in?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AshfireMage View Post
    Thank you so much for the help, guys! I had forgotten that there were novels I could look at. Do they assume a certain level of knowledge of the setting (like some of the later Star Wars novels do) or can I just dive in?
    Eisenhorn is pretty easy to get into, as it tends to explain anything weird.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Ok, so theres who my PCs (in their single Frigate) will be facing. The PCs are going to get the Scarab Coin in lieu of traditional payment and so will start our adventure. What i need is:

1: Build ideas for the Big NPCs above (particularly how one goes about making an Ogryn in DH 2)
    2. Ships for the above people. (Argenteus im probably gonna have to build myself, though id like more Deldar ship options if anyone has any recommendations)
    3. Fun set piece ideas. I have several ideas for how to go about doing this adventure, but more is always helpful.
    4. Other random complications.
    1: See if you can find a copy of the Only War rules. The ruleset is basically the same as DH2, and has Ogryn stuff in it.
    2: Dark Eldar stuff is dealt with heavily in The Soul Reaver. If you have access to that book, you could swipe one of the prebuilts. For your Silver expy, I've always been a fan of the Dictator class.

I'm not the best guy to ask for the other stuff, so I'll let someone else field those.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    1: See if you can find a copy of the Only War rules. The ruleset is basically the same as DH2, and has Ogryn stuff in it.
    2: Dark Eldar stuff is dealt with heavily in The Soul Reaver. If you have access to that book, you could swipe one of the prebuilts. For your Silver expy, I've always been a fan of the Dictator class.

I'm not the best guy to ask for the other stuff, so I'll let someone else field those.
    1: Figured i had to do that.

2: Thats convenient, however im using DH 2 for like 90% of things and using Rogue Trader for Ships and a few unique Talents, though i may loot stuff from Dictator.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

1: Figured i had to do that.

2: Thats convenient, however im using DH 2 for like 90% of things and using Rogue Trader for Ships and a few unique Talents, though i may loot stuff from Dictator.
    Ah, you misunderstood me. The Dictator class is cruiser hull, from Battlefleet Koronus. It's the midpoint between Carrier and Cruiser, comes standard with a couple of launch bays for small craft. I was talking specifically about starships in my answer for 2.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, you misunderstood me. The Dictator class is cruiser hull, from Battlefleet Koronus. It's the midpoint between Carrier and Cruiser, comes standard with a couple of launch bays for small craft. I was talking specifically about starships in my answer for 2.
    *strokes beard* Ooooh, sounds sexy.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

I may have to appropriate one of those in my Rogue Trader game. My character IS a Calixian Privateer, after all!

The saga of the flirty Wood Elf continues. Now I'm trying to convince her that body paint is a SOMETIMES outfit! The GM is close to agreeing with her, though, seeing as she IS his girlfriend.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-21 at 04:14 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I may have to appropriate one of those in my Rogue Trader game. My character IS a Calixian Privateer, after all!

The saga of the flirty Wood Elf continues. Now I'm trying to convince her that body paint is a SOMETIMES outfit! The GM is close to agreeing with her, though, seeing as she IS his girlfriend.
    Well if my GF wanted to use bodypaint as an outfit id find it hard to argue....
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

I just hope the game is set somewhere warm
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I just hope the game is set somewhere warm
    Oh, it is. We'll spending the majority of the campaign in Tilea.

At least she has armor listed on her sheet.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-22 at 08:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a weird question: Among the Electoral votes for Emperor, the Cult of Sigmar has three votes for the Grand Theogenist and the two Arch Lectors. Normally these votes go to the Elector Count of Reikland as a matter of tradition, but in theory, could the Grand Theogenist or one of the Arch Lectors become a candidate for Emperor themselves? In the event that enough Electors voted in favor, would that mean the new Emperor must give up their position in the Cult, or does the Empire effectively become Anglican, with the Emperor-Theogenist now both head of state and head of the church?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-23 at 06:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Here's a weird question: Among the Electoral votes for Emperor, the Cult of Sigmar has three votes for the Grand Theogenist and the two Arch Lectors. Normally these votes go to the Elector Count of Reikland as a matter of tradition, but in theory, could the Grand Theogenist or one of the Arch Lectors become a candidate for Emperor themselves? In the event that enough Electors voted in favor, would that mean the new Emperor must give up their position in the Cult, or does the Empire effectively become Anglican, with the Emperor-Theogenist now both head of state and head of the church?
    I'd imagine that as the Grand Theogonist and the Arch-Lectors aren't Elector Counts they're not candidates, but I could be wrong.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

I always imagined that this was one of those unspoken' gentleman's agreement'. That while nothing was actually written down none of the religious Electors would ever run for Emperor as it 'just wasn't done'.
    Which does of course raise the interesting idea of what happens when you get one power hungry enough to not care about tradition

P.S.
    Ah no. According to the 2nd Ed. main Warhammer rules 'p216', the Electors who aren't actually Counts (the Grand Theogenist, the two Arch-Lectors, the Ar-Ulric and the Elder of the Moot) CAN'T become Emperor. They can only vote in his Election (and gather as much political influence, favours and land as they can for their vote
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, darn. I thought that'd be cool (what'd be HILARIOUS is if the Elder of the Moot ran for Emperor as a joke, and then, much to their own shock and horror, actually wins)!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

So many comments spring to mind but probably all of them break the rules on Real World Politics comments

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Yyyyeah...all I'll say is that at least halflings have some degree of humility.

I'm having trouble deciding what my Celestial Wizard's staff is going to look like. I can't decide what the top of the staff's going to have. Should it be an orb/crystal ball? A sunburst? A crescent moon? And should the crescent moon be pointing upwards or to the side? Maybe a sunburst AND a crescent moon?! Should it be an image of the Twin-Tailed Comet? And should the Comet be pointing up or down? All I know is I'm NOT a fan of the mechanical-looking staves you see in most Celestial Wizard illustrations with the globes and the astrolabes and the mini-orreries on top.

I know I want him to adopt the moniker of "Magister Eclipse" when he reaches the Magister Vigilant career (kind of like the "Magister Bane" character described in its entry in the Career Compendium), using the eclipse as an emblem to represent the light of Sigmar's salvation emerging from the shadows (a concept I am blatantly stealing from the Age of Sigmar Stormcast Eternal book), but should that actually be on the staff or would that be too obvious (since Vigilants are big on hiding their identity like a wizard Batman)?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-01-24 at 04:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Well, it looks as though we have a pair of co-GMs and at least three players for this game, so it's a go.

It has also been more-or-less decided that we're going to be playing an eldar-focused game of rouge trader, so that should be interesting.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

So I have a question about rogue trader, or any of the RPGs, psykers.

HOW DO THEY WORK?

It just doesn't make sense to me, and I need guidance.

EDIT: Specifically, how does the whole using psycjic techniques work becuase any of the books I've read do not make a modicum of sense.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2018-01-24 at 04:25 PM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    So I have a question about rogue trader, or any of the RPGs, psykers.

HOW DO THEY WORK?

It just doesn't make sense to me, and I need guidance.

EDIT: Specifically, how does the whole using psycjic techniques work becuase any of the books I've read do not make a modicum of sense.

Okay, so I can help you with Dark Heresy 1 and 2, less so with the other systems (given you said "any of the RPG's" I'm assuming you mean Dark Heresy as well).

Dark Heresy First Edition
    Every Psychic Power has a power threshold. Let's use Bio-Lightning as our baseline here. Bio Lightning has a Power Threshold of 13.

When you attempt to cast a Psychic Power, you may roll a number of d10's less than or equal to your character's Psy Rating, and then add your Psyker's Willpower Bonus to the roll. If you are equal to or higher than the Power Threshold, you cast the power. If you roll under the Power threshold, the power fails to go off at all.

Example: Bob the Psyker wants to Cast Bio-Lightning. As mentioned, Bio Lightning has a Power Threshold of 13. Bob has a Psy Rating of 3, so he may roll UP to 3d10 to try and cast the power. Bob also has a Willpower Bonus of 4, so he gets to add that. Bob decides to use his full Psy Rating to cast Bio-Lightning. So Bob rolls 3d10+4 and tries to beat 13. If he succeeds, something gets blasted by lightning. If he fails, nothing happens.

Certain psychic powers have bonus effects for scoring a certain amount over the threshold (for example with Bio-Lightning, for every 5 points above the Threshold, you extend its range by 5 meters, and for every 10 above the threshold, you can create an additional bolt of lightning).

The thing to remember with Psychic Powers is that if at any point the roll of a "9" is made on ANY of the dice you used to cast your power (not the total, just any individual dice), you trigger Psychic Phenomena, which can lead to Perils of the Warp. You make a Phenomena roll for each "9" rolled.

Dark Heresy Second Edition

They really simplified powers in Second Edition. Second Edition, Psychic Powers run on the same d100 system as everything else. When casting a Psychic Power, like most tests, you try and roll under your Willpower characteristic to cast the power. Different powers have different difficulties to cast, which depends on the power itself (some powers, for example, give you a +20 bonus to trying to your roll, others a -10, depending on the power in question).

You can further improve your odds of casting the power by "fettering" the power. To fetter a power, you simply cast it at a lower Psy Rating than your normal one, and you gain a +10 bonus for each level you fetter the power. So using Bob again, if Bob has a Psy Rating of 3, he can choose to cast a power at Psy Rating 1, and gain a +20 bonus to his roll to use his Psychic Power, at the cost of the power itself being weaker (as most Psychic Powers in Dark Heresy scale off the Psy Rating used to cast them).

Alternatively, you can try to boost the power of your Psychic Power, by "Pushing", in which case, which basically works the opposite of fettering. When you "push" a power, you take a -10 on the test for each Psy Rating you're pushing for. So if Bob has a Psy Rating of 3, and is trying to cast a power at Psy Rating 5, he's taking a -20 to his test, BUT if he does manage to get the power off, it'll be much stronger.

Psychic Phenomena also works a little differently. Basically when fettering or using powers normally you score Psychic Phenomena on any roll of doubles (so 11, 22, 33, 44, etc.). When pushing a power, you hit Psychic Phenomena on any roll EXCEPT doubles, if I'm remembering right (left my CRB at a friend's house last time we played).

------

Does this clarify anything? If not, feel free to ask for clarification on certain points. I believe MOST of the other systems (Rogue Trader, Only War and Deathwatch) tend to use Dark Heresy 2's system for Psychic powers rather than First Edition's.
    Last edited by Chijinda; 2018-01-24 at 05:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chijinda View Post
    Okay, so I can help you with Dark Heresy 1 and 2, less so with the other systems (given you said "any of the RPG's" I'm assuming you mean Dark Heresy as well).

Dark Heresy First Edition
    Every Psychic Power has a power threshold. Let's use Bio-Lightning as our baseline here. Bio Lightning has a Power Threshold of 13.

When you attempt to cast a Psychic Power, you may roll a number of d10's less than or equal to your character's Psy Rating, and then add your Psyker's Willpower Bonus to the roll. If you are equal to or higher than the Power Threshold, you cast the power. If you roll under the Power threshold, the power fails to go off at all.

Example: Bob the Psyker wants to Cast Bio-Lightning. As mentioned, Bio Lightning has a Power Threshold of 13. Bob has a Psy Rating of 3, so he may roll UP to 3d10 to try and cast the power. Bob also has a Willpower Bonus of 4, so he gets to add that. Bob decides to use his full Psy Rating to cast Bio-Lightning. So Bob rolls 3d10+4 and tries to beat 13. If he succeeds, something gets blasted by lightning. If he fails, nothing happens.

Certain psychic powers have bonus effects for scoring a certain amount over the threshold (for example with Bio-Lightning, for every 5 points above the Threshold, you extend its range by 5 meters, and for every 10 above the threshold, you can create an additional bolt of lightning).

The thing to remember with Psychic Powers is that if at any point the roll of a "9" is made on ANY of the dice you used to cast your power (not the total, just any individual dice), you trigger Psychic Phenomena, which can lead to Perils of the Warp. You make a Phenomena roll for each "9" rolled.

Dark Heresy Second Edition

They really simplified powers in Second Edition. Second Edition, Psychic Powers run on the same d100 system as everything else. When casting a Psychic Power, like most tests, you try and roll under your Willpower characteristic to cast the power. Different powers have different difficulties to cast, which depends on the power itself (some powers, for example, give you a +20 bonus to trying to your roll, others a -10, depending on the power in question).

You can further improve your odds of casting the power by "fettering" the power. To fetter a power, you simply cast it at a lower Psy Rating than your normal one, and you gain a +10 bonus for each level you fetter the power. So using Bob again, if Bob has a Psy Rating of 3, he can choose to cast a power at Psy Rating 1, and gain a +20 bonus to his roll to use his Psychic Power, at the cost of the power itself being weaker (as most Psychic Powers in Dark Heresy scale off the Psy Rating used to cast them).

Alternatively, you can try to boost the power of your Psychic Power, by "Pushing", in which case, which basically works the opposite of fettering. When you "push" a power, you take a -10 on the test for each Psy Rating you're pushing for. So if Bob has a Psy Rating of 3, and is trying to cast a power at Psy Rating 5, he's taking a -20 to his test, BUT if he does manage to get the power off, it'll be much stronger.

Psychic Phenomena also works a little differently. Basically when fettering or using powers normally you score Psychic Phenomena on any roll of doubles (so 11, 22, 33, 44, etc.). When pushing a power, you hit Psychic Phenomena on any roll EXCEPT doubles, if I'm remembering right (left my CRB at a friend's house last time we played).

------

Does this clarify anything? If not, feel free to ask for clarification on certain points. I believe MOST of the other systems (Rogue Trader, Only War and Deathwatch) tend to use Dark Heresy 2's system for Psychic powers rather than First Edition's.
    Okay, I think I'm getting it now. Thanks.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Ok all, I'm in need of advice on this encounter. My players plan on doing a bit of exploring, hoping to find something worth any money, maybe a nice Agri world to own. I plan on giving one to them, with a Forge Moon nonetheless. Here's the catch:

It will be under attack by a Hellbringer and a pair of Iconoclast destroyers. The planet is defended by a pair of Claymore Corvettes and a space station so the PCs will have to get involved with their Sword Frigate.

My question: is this hard enough? I plan on having one of the Destroyers turn on the Cruiser if the odds look good of killing it, thus letting the players get it. Might let them get the other one too, not sure though.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

I'm having trouble deciding what my Celestial Wizard's staff is going to look like. I can't decide what the top of the staff's going to have. Should it be an orb/crystal ball? A sunburst? A crescent moon? And should the crescent moon be pointing upwards or to the side? Maybe a sunburst AND a crescent moon?! Should it be an image of the Twin-Tailed Comet? And should the Comet be pointing up or down? All I know is I'm NOT a fan of the mechanical-looking staves you see in most Celestial Wizard illustrations with the globes and the astrolabes and the mini-orreries on top.

I know I want him to adopt the moniker of "Magister Eclipse" when he reaches the Magister Vigilant career (kind of like the "Magister Bane" character described in its entry in the Career Compendium), using the eclipse as an emblem to represent the light of Sigmar's salvation emerging from the shadows (a concept I am blatantly stealing from the Age of Sigmar Stormcast Eternal book), but should that actually be on the staff or would that be too obvious (since Vigilants are big on hiding their identity like a wizard Batman)?
    I don't know if you'll like this, but something I think would be cool: a crescent moon fixture holding an orb that looks like the night sky. Bonus points if the orb looks like the night sky visible from wherever the staff happens to be at the time.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if you'll like this, but something I think would be cool: a crescent moon fixture holding an orb that looks like the night sky. Bonus points if the orb looks like the night sky visible from wherever the staff happens to be at the time.
    Ooh, that sounds pretty! But I also had an idea in the interim: the top of the staff is a winged skull with the mark of Azyr, the Comet of Power, etched into the skull's brow. Maybe with sapphires in the eye sockets. How's that sound?

But your design is cool too, Destro Yersul! Could I use it for the staff of Johannes' mentor maybe?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, that sounds pretty! But I also had an idea in the interim: the top of the staff is a winged skull with the mark of Azyr, the Comet of Power, etched into the skull's brow. Maybe with sapphires in the eye sockets. How's that sound?

But your design is cool too, Destro Yersul! Could I use it for the staff of Johannes' mentor maybe?
    Sure. I suggested it so you could use it. Skulls are always a solid choice for warhammer stuff.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I can't let the Amethyst Order have ALL the cool imagery, can I? Especially since Morr is also a god of dreams, which are my stock in trade!

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Ok all, I'm in need of advice on this encounter. My players plan on doing a bit of exploring, hoping to find something worth any money, maybe a nice Agri world to own. I plan on giving one to them, with a Forge Moon nonetheless. Here's the catch:

It will be under attack by a Hellbringer and a pair of Iconoclast destroyers. The planet is defended by a pair of Claymore Corvettes and a space station so the PCs will have to get involved with their Sword Frigate.

My question: is this hard enough? I plan on having one of the Destroyers turn on the Cruiser if the odds look good of killing it, thus letting the players get it. Might let them get the other one too, not sure though.
    In my Rogue Trader game, my crew were flying a Sword frigate. They annihilated anything in their weight category (usually even outnumbered 3-1). One time I put them against a cruiser - it threatened to one-shot them, so it let them go as unsatisfying sport. A light cruiser should (touching wood!) be a perfect challenging encounter.

Just remember the enemy ships will be boosting their skills with command crew rolls as well.

Don't be afraid to give the enemy ships extra HP to make the fight last a little longer.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    In my Rogue Trader game, my crew were flying a Sword frigate. They annihilated anything in their weight category (usually even outnumbered 3-1). One time I put them against a cruiser - it threatened to one-shot them, so it let them go as unsatisfying sport. A light cruiser should (touching wood!) be a perfect challenging encounter.

Just remember the enemy ships will be boosting their skills with command crew rolls as well.

Don't be afraid to give the enemy ships extra HP to make the fight last a little longer.
    Good to hear, heres the Destroyer and the Corvette im using

Spoiler: Destroyer
    Show

Speed: 10
    Manoeuvrability: +25
    Detection: +10
    Hull Integrity: 28
    Armour: 14
    Turret Rating: 1
    Space: 32/4
    Power 35/2
    SP: 29
    Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 2

Weapons: 2 Mars Pattern Macrocannons (Str:3 Dam: 1d10+2 Crit: 5 Range 6)

Components: Command Bridge, Jovian Pattern 1 Drive, Strelov Warp Engine,
    Gellar Field, Single Void Shield, M-1r Life Sustainer, Voidsmen Quarters,
    M-100 Auger Array

Spoiler: Corvette
    Show

Speed: 8
    Manoeuvrability: +18
    Detection: +17
    Hull Integrity: 30
    Armour: 17
    Space: 38/14
    SP: 38
    Power: 41/3

Weapons: 2 Sunsear Batteries (Str: 4 Dam: 1d10+2, Crit: 4 Range: 9)

Components: Enhanced Jovian Class 1 Drive, Strelov Warp Engine, Gellar Field
    Single Void Shield, Combat Bridge, M-1r Life Sustainer, Voidsmen QUarters
    m-201b Auger Array

The Forge Moon around the Agri World makes particularly efficient Plasma systems, thus why the Generator has higher than normal Power, and theres a crystal in this system that allows them to create a more powerful beam for less energy, thus why they use Sunsear Laser Batteries. The Station is gonna be armed similarly to the Corvettes, with a Sunsear and a Lance Battery on each facing.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Good to hear, heres the Destroyer and the Corvette im using

Spoiler: Destroyer
    Show

Speed: 10
    Manoeuvrability: +25
    Detection: +10
    Hull Integrity: 28
    Armour: 14
    Space: 32/4
    Power 35/2
    SP: 29

Weapons: 2 Mars Pattern Macrocannons (Str:3 Dam: 1d10+2 Crit: 5 Range 6)

Components: Command Bridge, Jovian Pattern 1 Drive, Strelov Warp Engine,
    Gellar Field, Single Void Shield, M-1r Life Sustainer, Voidsmen Quarters,
    M-100 Auger Array

Spoiler: Corvette
    Show

Speed: 8
    Manoeuvrability: +18
    Detection: +17
    Hull Integrity: 30
    Armour: 17
    Space: 38/14
    SP: 38
    Power: 41/3

Weapons: 2 Sunsear Batteries (Str: 4 Dam: 1d10+2, Crit: 4 Range: 9)

Components: Enhanced Jovian Class 1 Drive, Strelov Warp Engine, Gellar Field
    Single Void Shield, Combat Bridge, M-1r Life Sustainer, Voidsmen QUarters
    m-201b Auger Array

The Forge Moon around the Agri World makes particularly efficient Plasma systems, thus why the Generator has higher than normal Power, and theres a crystal in this system that allows them to create a more powerful beam for less energy, thus why they use Sunsear Laser Batteries. The Station is gonna be armed similarly to the Corvettes, with a Sunsear and a Lance Battery on each facing.
    Sounds good! Let me know how it goes, I'd be interested to hear, as I might be running RT again soonish.

I would definately use the Unnatural (x) rule from Black Crusade this time around - their pilot was able to accelerate/decelerate 200,000 (20 squares) per round pretty much straight away.