New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Help building zerathul

I'm trying to build zerathul from starcraft and I already have a few ideas to start off:
    1. Use a +1 flaming gnome quickrazor to replicate his weapon
    2. Get the dark creature template for flavor and use hide in plain sight to make him "invisible"

I'm looking for a race/template that could simulate a protoss and a class that could replicate the flavor of a dark templar or a templar assassin. Some nice piece of cool and useful technology such as construct grafts for added flavor would also be nice.

UPDATE:
    Perhaps a soulknife "optimized" for iaijutsu focus would be a nice choice?
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-06-22 at 08:41 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Help building zerathul

Maybe a ring of force-shield or of mage armor renamed and reskinned for being more stracraftish.
    Also you could use as a base one shadar kai(a name of this kind) from fiend folio(even if it might not be perfect) and not need shadow creature.
    Also are you the gm?
    Last edited by noob; 2015-06-22 at 08:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Maybe a ring of force-shield or of mage armor renamed and reskinned for being more stracraftish.
    Also you could use as a base one shadar kai(a name of this kind) from fiend folio(even if it might not be perfect) and not need shadow creature.
    Also are you the gm?
    I am a player

Also, aren't shadar kai chaotic? Zerathul NEEDS to be lawful neutral.

Now that I actually looked them up, they actually seem pretty fun to play! But I would still need a template to make him look like a protoss.
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-06-22 at 08:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

...What is a zerathul? Is that the name of one of those hybrid destroyers or something?
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Aegis View Post
    ...What is a zerathul? Is that the name of one of those hybrid destroyers or something?
    http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Zeratul

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The alignment of shadar kai is "generally neutral evil" so it means deviations are not so much uncommon so a lawful neutral shadar kai could be perfectly possible without even needing stories of being outcast.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You might want to check the Shadow Creature template from Lords of Madness, the Shadow Blend is pretty much a better version of HiPS
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The obvious choice is to get persistent greater invisibility at some point, so you can walk around stabbing people while still invisible. The lowest level at which greater invisibility appears on a spell list is 2nd, on the Telflammar Shadowlord list. So you can either find a Teflammar Shadowlord scroll of it and scribe it to your spellbook as a Wizard and cast it at third, or make wands of it as an Artificer and make wands or scrolls of it at first. Unfortunately, persisting it is harder. Off the top of my head, a 7th level Artificer could use metamagic spell trigger, a Wizard 5/Incantatrix 3 could use metamagic effect, or a 5th level Anima Mage could use vestige metamagic. The fastest you can do it is 7th, either as an Artificer or an Anima Mage with double early entry.

So getting greater invisibility by class is probably out. None of those classes really fit Zeratul well, though you can do something with Artificer. However, there is an alternative. A continuous magic item costs Spell Level * Caster Level * 2,000 GP. For a CL 1 item of the Teflammar Shadowlord's 2nd level improved invisibility, that's 4,000 GP - a price which can be handily afforded at 4th level. You can then take whatever class takes your fancy, probably something with precision damage. Rogue is likely to be best, though something can be said for Mystic Ranger (particular in the 4th to 10th range).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
    The obvious choice is to get persistent greater invisibility at some point, so you can walk around stabbing people while still invisible. The lowest level at which greater invisibility appears on a spell list is 2nd, on the Telflammar Shadowlord list. So you can either find a Teflammar Shadowlord scroll of it and scribe it to your spellbook as a Wizard and cast it at third, or make wands of it as an Artificer and make wands or scrolls of it at first. Unfortunately, persisting it is harder. Off the top of my head, a 7th level Artificer could use metamagic spell trigger, a Wizard 5/Incantatrix 3 could use metamagic effect, or a 5th level Anima Mage could use vestige metamagic. The fastest you can do it is 7th, either as an Artificer or an Anima Mage with double early entry.

So getting greater invisibility by class is probably out. None of those classes really fit Zeratul well, though you can do something with Artificer. However, there is an alternative. A continuous magic item costs Spell Level * Caster Level * 2,000 GP. For a CL 1 item of the Teflammar Shadowlord's 2nd level improved invisibility, that's 4,000 GP - a price which can be handily afforded at 4th level. You can then take whatever class takes your fancy, probably something with precision damage. Rogue is likely to be best, though something can be said for Mystic Ranger (particular in the 4th to 10th range).
    A regular invisibility would fit zerathul better, as he leaves invis when attacking.
    I'm also considering getting a psychic rogue, as protoss are psionic.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Notice how the spelling changes the pronunciation of the word. Zer•a•tul is completely different from Ze•rath•ul.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

You could also try sneak attack+ring of blinking+ring of invisibility and basically for all the fight you can go in full sneak attack dealing tons of damage per turn (at lvl 20 you can do 5 sneak attacks) and avoid some attacks if the opponent can not hit ethereal people.
    Last edited by noob; 2015-06-22 at 09:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I've actually considered this myself. My personal favorite used Pathfinder material.

Soulknife, with the War Soul archetype. Use a trait or tradition to access the Mithral Current discipline, which is focused on iiajutsu strikes. You have your mind blade to work as a warp blade, and maneuvers ensure that you are a capable fighter. Grab a ring of invisibility or dip ninja for your invis.

Soulknife is from psionics unleashed, war soul is from path of war, and Mithral Current is from the path of war expanded playtest.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You could also try sneak attack+ring of blinking+ring of invisibility and basically for all the fight you can go in full sneak attack dealing tons of damage per turn (at lvl 20 you can do 5 sneak attacks) and avoid some attacks if the opponent can not hit ethereal people.
    I might just mix sneak attack + iaijutsu focus making a Str + Cha + Dex + Con based character (I rolled 16 16 14 14 11 11 for this character, so I can have 4 good stats), but I really want to focus on hiding. I might get travel devotion instead of ring of blinking as I have absolutely no feats to my build as of yet (although I might get hardened criminal to take 10 in iaijutsu focus)

As for the race, I checked out most of the races I could find in my books and I didn't find a satisfyingly protoss-like one. I might just pick human and ask the DM to have a protoss skin, or just make up my own race called protoss that works exactly like human.
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-06-22 at 09:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Temennigru View Post
    A regular invisibility would fit zerathul better, as he leaves invis when attacking.
    Uh, I don't think that's true. Unless there's a story/gameplay distinction I missed, Zeratul is invisible all the time. All dark templar are.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
    Uh, I don't think that's true. Unless there's a story/gameplay distinction I missed, Zeratul is invisible all the time. All dark templar are.
    When you attack with him in the game he becomes visible.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

In gameplay, he's always invisible all the time, and is only seen via detectors. In cutscenes, of course, this would be boring, so they mostly show him as visible (though I suppose it might be cool to see hydralisks just suddenly falling apart into two pieces with no apparent cause). I think the implication is that when he's interacting with Raynor or Tassadar, he's choosing to make himself visible (which he presumably can do, but which has no value in gameplay), and that when he's interacting with Kerrigan, he's visible to her because she's a detector, and is shown visible to us by convention.

Also in gameplay, he has the ability to teleport short distances, and can put enemies into an incapacitating stasis prison for a few seconds at a time.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Only in SC2 gameplay in SC1 he had only cloaking,high damage and shield.
    Supreme invisibility is not going to give you sneak attacks when you are in invisibility negation zone while blinking does works and if you have protected mind you are immune to divination and so your bonus from blinking can not be removed without dispelling which is an active action your opponent do while the fight.
    So blinking is a correct backup.
    Last edited by noob; 2015-06-22 at 09:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Only in SC2 gameplay in SC1 he had only cloaking,high damage and shield.
    Supreme invisibility is not going to give you sneak attacks when you are in invisibility negation zone while blinking does works and if you have protected mind you are immune to divination and so your bonus from blinking can not be removed without dispelling which is an active action your opponent do while the fight.
    So blinking is a correct backup.
    That's where hiding + Travel Devotion comes in =)
    Move in, strike, hide, move away.

Someone said dark creature template from LoM was superior, but the one I know is LA +1 instead of LA +2 and from what I understand, HiPS is exactly the same as shadow blend.
    Just realized no hide check Oo
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-06-22 at 10:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When you attack with him in the game he becomes visible.
    Youre thinking of Heroes of the Storm, which is not canon nor representative of his actual capabilities. In SC1, BW and Wings of Liberty Zeratul is capable of attacking while cloaked, as are all units with cloak.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

As far as race, I've been toying with the idea.
    +2 dex, +2 wis, -2 cha. Protoss seem to favor speed over strength, and have strong, well trained minds. However, they also generally seem reserved, disinclined from interaction with others.
    Medium
    Humanoid (protoss)
    Naturally psionic
    Telepathy
    Mute

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    As far as race, I've been toying with the idea.
    +2 dex, +2 wis, -2 cha. Protoss seem to favor speed over strength, and have strong, well trained minds. However, they also generally seem reserved, disinclined from interaction with others.
    Medium
    Humanoid (protoss)
    Naturally psionic
    Telepathy
    Mute
    I would replace wis with int, unless youre going for separate subraces for Khalai and Dark Templar protoss. The protoss are highly intelligent, but they are not as a species all that more wise than humans or any other race.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I went with wis over int because I see them having more students and psywars than full psions. also, heavy religious connotations, lending towards cleric. Their intelligence seems to come more from long lives and a society that values education than natural gifts.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

So far and nobody did this yet? Nobody? Come on...

Shadow Creature [Elan or Xeph] Factotum 3/Hit-And-Run Exoticist1/Swordsage15. Iaijutsu, invisibility, short-range teleportation... And delicious Diamond Mind maneuvers...

If you're going 3.5, you certainly don't want to be a Soulknife. Because soulknifes are terrible in 3.5
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2015-06-22 at 11:19 AM.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Is there a reason you are spelling it wrong? Its spelled Zeratul in the game, its pronounced Zeratul, are you trying to be edgy or something?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I went with wis over int because I see them having more students and psywars than full psions. also, heavy religious connotations, lending towards cleric. Their intelligence seems to come more from long lives and a society that values education than natural gifts.
    the age doesn't hurt, but the fact of the matter is that their brains are just better than ours.

Almost every time the protoss lose something its because their leadership is terrible at prioritizing. Even their greatest hero makes a massive error in judgment that nearly results in their extinction. (this is, oddly enough, never brought up again.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"That's where hiding + Travel Devotion comes in =)
    Move in, strike, hide, move away."
    You can not do 5 sneak attacks in one turn this way since you used one movement action one attack and one travel devotion.
    While with blinking you can just stay near the opponent and deal full round sneak attack dealing like 50d6+5*dmg of attack(40d- if you take no class with strong bba)-20% because of miss chance(yes I know it feels powerful but this combo is 100% base manuals).
    Also your travel devotion will not work tons of times.
    So if you think you can kill an opponent with 5 sneak attacks you might economize time if you have a ring of blinking and it costs only 27000 it also makes you avoid some attacks.
    And when you already used your travel devotion your blinking ring can helps you.
    But I see it becomes a so particular case that you will hardly use it so I understand why you do not take the ring so that you can spend more on stats and etc.
    (for the race I think it should have a level adjustment of +1 and that you should specify protoss does not needs to eat or drink)
    Last edited by noob; 2015-06-22 at 11:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"That's where hiding + Travel Devotion comes in =)
    Move in, strike, hide, move away."
    You can not do 5 sneak attacks in one turn this way since you used one movement action one attack and one travel devotion.
    While with blinking you can just stay near the opponent and deal full round sneak attack dealing like 50d6+5*dmg of attack(40d- if you take no class with strong bba)-20% because of miss chance(yes I know it feels powerful but this combo is 100% base manuals).
    Also your travel devotion will not work tons of times.
    So if you think you can kill an opponent with 5 sneak attacks you might economize time if you have a ring of blinking and it costs only 27000 it also makes you avoid some attacks.
    And when you already used your travel devotion your blinking ring can helps you.
    But I see it becomes a so particular case that you will hardly use it so I understand why you do not take the ring so that you can spend more on stats and etc.
    (for the race I think it should have a level adjustment of +1 and that you should specify protoss does not needs to eat or drink)
    That's not how zeratul works and that's where iaijutsu focus helps. It gives me a full round's damage with 1 attack. We are also not lvl 30 for me to get 5 attacks off in a full round. We are lvl 4. I'm also not confortable over-optimizing a top-down build, as flavor is the predominant factor I'm trying to optimize.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretlyaFish View Post
    Is there a reason you are spelling it wrong? Its spelled Zeratul in the game, its pronounced Zeratul, are you trying to be edgy or something?
    I always heard it pronounced with THU instead of TU, so I assumed it had an H.

Protoss are in no way wise. They are self-centered and blinded by their arrogance. I would give them -2 to Wis even though you would see protoss as a psy-warrior type. I've seen races with Wizard as favored class that have -2 Int.

I would make them as such:

• +2 Int, -2 wis, -2 cha. Protoss are self-centered and arrogant, what makes them anti-social and blind to the consequences of their actions, but they have a superior intellect.
    • Medium
    • Humanoid (protoss)
    • Naturally psionic
    • Protoss can create a shield around themselves. Once per day, as a swift action, they can gain 5 temporary hit points per 3 hit dice (minimum 5). At 10 hit dice, they gain one more daily use of this ability.
    • Favored class: Psy Warrior
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-06-22 at 12:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

That's not how zeratul works and that's where iaijutsu focus helps. It gives me a full round's damage with 1 attack.
    No, it gives you slightly higher 1 attack's damage with 1 attack. You're still incentivized to make multiple attacks with it.

Anyway, the race should be some subrace of Elf, since Protoss are Eldar and Eldar are Space Elves. Definitely a psionic class. I think Soulknife should be fine, provided you're allowed to use the Pathfinder version.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    No, it gives you slightly higher 1 attack's damage with 1 attack. You're still incentivized to make multiple attacks with it.

Anyway, the race should be some subrace of Elf, since Protoss are Eldar and Eldar are Space Elves. Definitely a psionic class. I think Soulknife should be fine, provided you're allowed to use the Pathfinder version.
    Not if you optimize iaijutsu focus with +cha items. There is an amulet that gives you +3 to cha checks (competence) for 4.5k. You can make a iaijutsu focus +10 (enhancement) item for 10k. If you pay 640gp, you can add the focus property to your weapon, which gives you +4 (insight). Just with that, you get +2d6 worth of damage. If you take 10, that goes up to +4d6. If you get some ranks in, you can get some mean damage off. If you take a couple levels in iaijutsu master, you add Cha bonus to each damage dice.
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-06-22 at 12:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Not if you optimize iaijutsu focus with +cha items. There is an amulet that gives you +3 to cha checks (competence) for 4.5k. You can make a iaijutsu focus +10 (circumstance) item for 10k. If you pay 640gp, you can add the focus property to your weapon, which gives you +4 (insight). Just with that, you get +2d6 worth of damage. If you take 10, that goes up to +4d6. If you get some ranks in, you can get some mean damage off.
    Yeah, and if you have multiple attacks you can do that on every attack, provided you're using quickrazors or the like. So you still want multiple attacks.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)