New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill [IC]

Lyn Penell

Lyn listened to Morthic's story with mild confusion, laughing along with the others but not really realizing what the big deal was. She felt her heartbeat slowing down to regular levels after Rodrick and his brother excused themselves. It was the most fun she'd had in years but the night was growing late. She listened to Morthics latest story of the shy Oread, laughing at the revelation before turning to leave. Lyn rises from the table after the story is finished "Thanks for this great evening everyone." she says, smiling widely at each of them before starting away. After a few steps she turns around and yells "I hope our paths might cross again" before walking off towards the lower levels.

She had not taken beer or wine in the festivities, and would likely wake up with a clear head.

Spoiler: Lodging
    Show
    Lyn lives at the Sanctum, She has no quarters of her own and usually sleeps in places reserved for those in need of long-term care, which are usually available. With her training complete, I'm not sure if they'll let her stay there indefinetly.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2015-07-01 at 11:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Borg

Felt like he was going to fall over he was stuffed, drunk and wanted nothing more than to sleep on a nice bed. He felt like laughing at Morthics stories but was afraid he'd barf if he so much as chuckled. He heard something about Chams Ramblehouse "I jusst happen to -hic- have a room their mysself, I think Ive got enough -urp- partying for one night Desna tend your dreams gents" Borg begins to stagger towards the inn or at least the direction he thinks its in in his drunken stupor.

Spoiler: Stall
    Show
    Borg usually sleeps behind his stall with a canvas and sleep wear because he doesn't make enough to buy a home and occasionally stays at the inn when he can pay for it.
    Last edited by Rollin20sAtm; 2015-07-01 at 12:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Silas waves a cheery farewell to Lyn and Borg as they set off for the night. Three years and he never said a word? I've met some quiet buggers in my time but that takes the cake! S'pose it's about my turn to tell a story, then. See I've never been part of an interesting group of adventurers like these knights of your, mostly just been a boring city dweller all my life. There was this one time, though, back in my youth..." He pauses and closes his eyes, obviously deep in thought trying to remember the details of a story decades past. "This was before I was anyone in Taldor. Just one of the unbearded masses back in those days, working for my daily bread. I can't recall what I was doing, but I found myself in a popular little store selling tourist knicknacks for people visiting the city. There was quite the line up that day, and just before I left there was an Elf who got to the front of the line after waiting for probably 20 minutes. Walks up to the clerk and pulls out a wicked looking knife, asking for the strongbox with the gold in it. Just as he does this he hears several metallic 'shhhing' sounds from behind him and the clerk starts laughing. Turns out right behind him was an ambassador from Andoran touring the city, accompanied by 10 royal guards! Silas lets out a hearty laugh, remembering the look on the Elf's face. "They'd been there the whole time, the fool never looked behind him before trying to rob the place."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Morthic Valard, the Protector of the Innocent

Morthic's laughter is booming.
    I think I heard about that. One of the mercenaries I worked with once while protecting a nobleman from a crime ring, sweet girl, I think her name was Leah, mentioned it. Her mentor was in the entourage, you see? Scarlet Sentinel, top notch bodyguards for hire!
    He shakes his head.
    That lass was a handful. From what I gathered, the Sentinels adopted her after her family was killed because they were delayed reaching the estate. Firey little thing, proud as any dragon, beautiful, and deadly with that little pig sticker she carried. The noble we were protecting nearly found that out the hard way when he got a little deep in his cups and decided to try to help her continue her family's line.
    He chuckles.
    Let me tell you, he was singing soprano for a solid week!
    He looks around, realizing that everyone has slowly trickled away and gone to be.
    Well, I guess it is about time to retire. One more drink, and then we sleep!
    And so it was!
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Aye, one last drink to new friends. I'm sure our paths will cross again, Morthic." Silas gives Morthic as stately a bow as he can manage in his inebriated state, before turning to leave. While very drunk, he's been partying for many years and is quite capable of finding his way, slowly, to the Ramblehouse to get a good night's sleep.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The morning sun rising over Traunu feels like a betrayal, as it seeps into the windows and forces people to rise. You all wake up where you fell, remarkably considering the drinks going around, and have time to get ready, to prepare yourself for the coming day. Those of you not at the Ramblehouse find people in the streets in a state of dismay and of sadness, a whispering around the streets. The news talked about with heavy heads and sad eyes, leading to the inn.

Those of you in the Ramblehouse, and around it's premises, note this too, however around the inn is a crowd, and the militia quickly come in and usher everyone inside out. The news spreads quickly, nobody is keeping it under wraps;

Patrol Captain Rodrick Grath has been found dead.
    They're calling it a suicide.

The innkeeper, Cham Larringfas, is sitting to the side of her now roped off establishment, a little shaken. Guards stand around, sympathetic, but with a job to do..
    Last edited by Nightclaws; 2015-07-05 at 12:46 PM.
    I love tabletop RPGs because they're the only game where my players have been able to;
    - Surf a Kobold down some stairs.
    - Be a crossdressing angel making out with a witch whilst your ghoul friend eats someone in the woods.
    - Bribe small children, with ponchos, for information.
    - Ride an undead elephant into a mall to chase a changeling.
    Other people might remember the big fights and the epic boss slain, but it's the little things.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Morthic rises, his dwarven heritage protecting him from the hangover, hangs his head as he sets to work at the smithy. He was saddened, of course, but something wasn't adding up. Rodrick had no reason to have done this, and he hadn't been so drunk that it might have pushed him over the edge. Something was missing. It nagged at him, preventing him from properly focusing on his work.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Silas wakes shortly after sunrise, feeling quite well rested and only mildly hungover. He starts his day in a very good mood continuing on from the previous night until he gets downstairs and hears the news."Suicide?!" Silas roars with disbelief. "Horse turds. Damned impossible, I will not believe it. This is the same Rodrick Grath who wrote 'The Battle of Bloodmarch' and was practically crowing about it last night? Same Rodrick who was drinking and partying and flirting with a pretty girl? Like hell he killed himself. I have to see this for myself, who's in charge here?" He puffs himself up and walks determinedly towards the nearest guardsman, hoping to find a better explanation than the rumours circling the building. "You, soldier, where is Kurst, or Jagrin in all this mess?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lyn Penell

Lyn headed up to the higher Trunau to properly sign up for the militia as she had said the day before. The palpable feeling of sorrow quickly threw off her initial good mood. She paused to ask a passerby what the matter was, to see if she could help. Upon hearing the rumour, she took off towards Ramblehouse at full run, shaken.
    That can't be true. It just can't. I need to see it with my own eyes, I need to help... [And what are you going to do to help?] she questioned herself Shut up.
    It just didn't seem right. The man had been quite joyous and full of life only some hours ago. Alright, more than some hours, but what could have changed so much? She arrives to the scene out of breath, her skin sheened with sweat. She walks the last hundred feet, taking in the scene, guards, crowds and all as well as catching her breath. Her eyes are drawn to Cham Larringfas, the innkeeper of Ramblehouse. Lyn approaches the shaken halfling, a hundred questions about what happened running through her mind. She pushes them aside and brings herself down to her level, places a comforting hand on her shoulder and asks "Are you alright?" She waits for her reply before asking if she knows anything about what happened.
    She spots Lord Silas from yesterday marching through the crowd pressing the guards for some answers and their superiors. She stays with the innkeeper for now but keeps half an eye on Silas to see if he finds something out.

Spoiler: Diplomacy roll, in case it's needed
    Show
    Diplomacy
    (1d20+8)[13]
    Kinda low
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2015-07-06 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Okay changed to alright.

10. - Top - End - #70

Goblin

Borg

His head felt like a dozen hammers were pounding down on him, but it was from anger more than the drinks he had last night. Dozens of people crowded the hallway leading to Rodricks room. "OK think, you came in then fell asleep than nothing, Roderick was a few doors down from you, you moron". Borg usually isn't this hateful of himself although Roderick was one of the people who accepted him when he came here he even offered you a ticket to the real job to support yourself. Borg suddenly felt a little guilt squeeze into his head "Well isnt that grand here you are worried about a job while a friend "supposedly" committed suicide? No Roderick was made of sterner stuff than that" out in the inn he can hear a familiar voice shouting with anger. Good at least someone moving this along, come to think of it so should he Borg than decides to bull his way down the steps to find Silus yelling at the guards and Lyn looking distressed.
    Last edited by Rollin20sAtm; 2015-07-06 at 12:14 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Morthic - People fall into their lives again around you, albeit it slowly. There is a distinct lack of effort from anyone you can see. This disaster has obviously demoralised the town and they're left with the same nagging feeling you are. Phrases are thrown out around you;
    "He was always so happy," "Well it's always the ones you don't suspect.."

Silas - The guardsman Silas in the eyes, and the fox can see water in the guards eyes.
    "Sir, I know.. I know it's a distressing time, but you must c-calm down. Kurst is inside with Jagrin.."
    As if on cue, the two step out, having a loud discussion, Kurst obviously distressed and looking like he's almost pleading than anything else. Words escape from his mouth quickly, leaving a lot of what he says quick and hard to hear, but key parts can be made out. It's obvious he doesn't think this is a suicide. Jagrin looks pained and saddened, and can be seen as she puts her hands on his shoulders, speaking softly to calm the man.

Borg - Borg is quickly ushered out by guards, they must have missed him in the initial knocking on doors. He also hears the discussion between Jagrin and Kurst. Closer, you can make out some more words.
    "We need to look into it, we can't leave it like this!" he exclaims, but seemingly for naught. Jagrin assures him she'll try, but the militia's jobs are spread thin as it is.

Lyn - Cham looks up at you quickly, as if she hadn't noticed you approach. Her face softens when she realises it's you, and stammers out a reply.
    "Lyn, I-... Yes, yes I'm as okay as I can be..." she lifts a tankard filled from next to her, previously unseen, and takes a sip, "I found him... this morning... his wrists were slit and... he was holding his hopeknife..." She visibly shudders, closing her eyes and taking another sip.
    I love tabletop RPGs because they're the only game where my players have been able to;
    - Be a crossdressing angel making out with a witch whilst your ghoul friend eats someone in the woods.
    Other people might remember the big fights and the epic boss slain, but it's the little things.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Kurst, man, by the gods what happened?" Silas's original anger quickly gives way to sorrow and empathy. He liked Rodrick, to be sure, but these two had lost a big part of their family rather than just a friendly acquaintance. "I... I'm sorry. I understand how difficult this must be for you two, is there any possible way I can be of assistance in this difficult time? Seems impossible to me that he could do this to himself, he was so happy. Are you sure it was suicide? I have some talent with magic, though I don't use it particularly often. I could see if anything seems abnormal in that regard."
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2015-07-06 at 11:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lyn Penell

Lyn nods and holds Cham close for a moment before getting up. Now she knew something. The set of her face hardens as she says "That doesn't sound like suicide to me." she says, her tone carefully level. She considered the facts for a moment. Slit wrists didn't sound fatal, or at least not like a swift death like she'd expect of a suicide. Who would choose a prolonged passing. The use of hopeknife was also a curious bit of information.
    She approaches Silas and Borg, the half-orc having just left the building. "I'd like to offer any help I can give as well" she says after the elderly gentleman offers his assistance. Lyn looks crestfallen as she realizes that she has fairly little to offer for any investigation in terms of her persomal skills. "Um.. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do, but an extra pair of eyes and hands can't hurt, surely?"
    This wasn't the kind of help she'd imagined giving the militia when she rose that morning, but it was something.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Morthic continues working for several minutes, until suddenly he hears a snap.The horseshoe he had been working on for one of the travelling traders had just been hammered through under his vicious blows. Swearing under his breath, he hangs up his hammer.
    Sara, I don't think I'll be able to work today. I'll be on the practice yard if you need me. I feel the need to hit something.
    That said, he begins to strap on his armor, then picks up Valaim and heads for the common grounds. As he passes the Rumblehouse, he stops for a moment to watch Silas' antics

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

15. - Top - End - #75

Goblin

Borg

"I wanna help too, Roderick wouldn't hurt himself and now way he would let someone do this without a fight I know a lot of about certain drugs and plants that could lull someone to a sense of vulnerability".
    Last edited by Rollin20sAtm; 2015-07-09 at 01:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kurst nods solemnly at everyone's words, a brief forced smile coming to his face before the grief comes back to wipe it away.
    "I'll appreciate your assistance indeed, thank you, all of you, I’ve had my hands full since..... Right now, the official cause of death is suicide, but I just can’t believe that. Something else has to be going on. Unfortunately, Rodrik was the best investigator in Trunau; if he were on the case, solving the mystery of his death wouldn’t take long, but with just me left, we might never know what really happened.” Kurst sighs heavily. “I simply can’t handle the investigation and tend to my family duties at the same time. I may be a patrol captain, but right now, I feel my responsibilities as a brother outweigh my other duties. Still, I can’t just let this lie. I’m afraid I’ve exhausted all my other options—the members of Trunau’s militia are competent defenders during siege times, but they’re not sleuths by any means. I need your help. Will you investigate my brother’s death?”

17. - Top - End - #77

Goblin

Borg

Wearing a grim visage Borg thumps his fist to his chest."Yes, Ill do everything I can to bring whoever did this what they deserve".

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Silas steps forward and lays a comforting hand on Kurst's shoulder. "Fear not, good man. We'll take care of this. If this team is good enough to win a tug of war against your men, there's nothing we can't do." He smiles at his own joke, before composing himself and adopting a more somber expression. "I give my word as a Lord of Taldor that I will do everything in my power to make this right."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lyn Penell

Lyn smiled at the affirmations of Silas and Borg. "Of course we will help." Lyn says. "I won't fail you." She was already trying to think of ways to start off the investigation. One would search the site for clues and talk to witnesses and... That was pretty much all she could think of. Hopefully something would come out of that, or someone had better ideas.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I have a few leads, ones I cannot follow up with at the moment," Kurst continues, looking to each of you with a little smile that beams gratefulness, "Talking to Cham would be a good idea, she found the body, as well as Omast Frum, a patrol sergeant in the militia, long-time friend of the Graths and one of Rodrik’s frequent patrol partners, he might be able to shine some light on suspicions.."
    He paused for a moment and then spoke slowly,
    "There is also one other person, Brinya Kelver, a half-orc weaver whom I... recently learned... had been conducting a.." He blushes a tad, "clandestine love affair with Rodrik."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lyn Penell

She hadn't heard about Rodrick having a lover. That wasn't really relevant now, and she wasn't quite sure why that caught her notice out of the three. "I just spoke with Cham, she's right over there." Lyn says, gesturing to the direction of the halfling. "We could start with her" she continues, adding "but we should probably be sensitive about this. She seemed pretty upset" she adds as an afterthought.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Silas nods at Lyn. "You're absolutely right, Lyn. Kurst, return to your duties, I know you have much to do. We'll take care of this for you. " He pats Kurst on the shoulder once again before heading over towards Cham. "Cham! I'm so sorry about this whole mess, that must have been quite a fright for you to wake up to. Is there anything I can get for you, a drink perhaps?" He grins when he notices her already present tankard. "Ah, you've already got a drink. Atta girl, it'll help for sure." He pulls up a chair and sits next to her, looking at her with a concerned expression "Now I promised that lad Kurst over there I'd take a quick look into this, do you think you could explain what you saw for me? I know it's probably difficult, and you don't want to think about it, but the more detail you can offer the better."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Morthic steps up as Kurst makes his request.
    Of course we'll help, Kurst. I don't think I'll be able to focus on my work until the matter is resolved.
    Seeing that Silas has already made his way to Cham, Morthic glances at the others.
    I don't think we want to crowd her. I'll go and talk to Omast, see what he thinks of this.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

24. - Top - End - #84

Goblin

Borg

Borg works his way upstairs past the guards to start looking over the scene hopefully Silas can get what he could from Cham. He makes his way into the crime scene to start working.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kurst thanks you all one by one before making his way back to his other duties, the weariness and grief almost exudes from his face as he turns to go, but he feels this is in decent hands.

Lyn and Silas - Cham is still somewhat shaken but looks up to Silas as if wanting to say something,
    "I..urm.." she stammers out, the fox still somewhat new to her but had seemed nice for the while he was here, "I screamed and fainted when I saw it, like I said to the guards, ain't nothin' out of ordinary that I saw.."

Spoiler: For the both of you.
    Show
    Roll Sense Motive.

Morthic - You head off to locate Omast. The crowds of people have parted, and everyone has gone back to their usual duties. This of course makes Omast harder to locate, being a patrol man he could be literally anywhere in the town, which, despite small, is still a like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Meandering about the streets, it dawns on you that Sara didn't quite seem herself when you left.

Spoiler: Morthic
    Show
    Roll Diplomacy, or another way you might try and learn information for Omast's whereabouts.

Borg - You manage to get back upstairs with ease, the guards that are around assuming you're heading back to your own room It's only when you open the door to the room Rodrick spent his last night that anyone pipes up;
    This sparse room contains only a single cot and a writing desk. The cot is a cheap affair with a straw-stuffed mattress, now stained red with blood and stripped of its linens, while the desk is a slightly nicer piece of furniture that has nonetheless been chipped and worn by time. A cracked window in the southern wall is the only exit other than the room’s door. A guard behind you puts a hand to your shoulder, "Can't let you roam around the other rooms without Cham's sayin' so." he says, but with a little understanding in his voice,
    Last edited by Nightclaws; 2015-07-10 at 02:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Goblin

Borg

Why do people make things difficult, he doesn't wanna get rough with the guard but he cant do anything from the outside. "Im helping with Roderick's death, me and a few others are investigating what REALLY happened here" Borg tries to be civil but he hopes his size and appearance make the guard back down.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20-2)[17]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Silas nods at Cham's words. Poor woman must have had such a fright, no way she would be able to be much help. Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, he gives a gentle squeeze and says "Thanks, Cham. You've been a great help. Just stay here and relax, we'll figure this mess out. Lyn, what do you say we go look into that Brinya lass as caught Rodrick's eye? Love causes tragedies such as this with alarming regularity."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Morthic sighs. Tracking the man down would be a long and arduous task, and likely one accomplished much faster with the others. Recalling Sara's distraction, he decides to head back to the smithy and make sure nothing MORE was amiss. That was the last thing this town needed.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lyn Penell

"It's unfortunate that this happened, but we'll leave you to recover." Lyn says. "I'm sure we'll be able to find the culprit soon. If you come to remember anything else about the crime or related to it, feel free to inform us."
    She smiles at the halfling reassuringly and nods to Silas. "That seems like a good idea" she says, "But maybe I should go and check out the scene itself. I don't know much about investigation, but I might be able to get an idea for the cause of death if I see the body before it deteriorates." She winces imperceptibly at this and stops her hand from reaching for her shoulder. It had been a long time since she'd seen a body that died out of violence. She hoped it wouldn't be that bad. Cham said she'd fainted upon seeing the scene. At least this wasn't done by orcs Lyn reassures herself and starts for the inn.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Silas - You recall, despite your brief time in Truanu, that Brinya lives in a boarding house northwest of the Commons. The boarding house is a decent sized thing, housing rooms for several residents who do not own a property in town. Villagers seem to meander about it and listening closely, you can hear a profuse and loud wailing.

Morthic - You find the man with little trouble, people offering directions to where they're pretty sure he was five minutes ago. He is at the South Tower, dangling from the battlements via a rope tied to his belt. As you watch, he is muttering to himself as he cleans graffiti from the walls. There's a container to his belt, and as he moves drops come out of it which he doesn't seem to notice. The small puddle below him reeks of alcohol.

Lyn - You head inside without issue, and looking around to where Rodrick's room would be, you spot Borg fairly easily as he is accosted by a guard.

Borg - The guard looks you square in the eyes and for a moment you feel his grip on your shoulder tighten, but he lets go, nodding.
    "I suppose there's no harm in letting you look around..."