Thread: We Made a Comic

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default We Made a Comic

A while back, a friend and I decided to band our talents together and try our hand at making a webcomic. After months of scrambling for a name, we decided we'd be straight to the point and call our webcomic We Made a Comic. At the moment it's currently being freely hosted on The Duck Webcomics, listed here.

We're still perfecting our craft, so please feel to comment, constructively criticize, etc. and I'll do my best to post here when we've made an update.

If you happen to enjoy reading our comic, let us know by following us on Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter!

https://twitter.com/ShonenHero
    https://www.facebook.com/WeMadeAComic
    http://allenthepotato.tumblr.com/

Speaking of updates, here's the latest one:
    Last edited by Shonen Hero; 2015-07-02 at 01:39 PM. Reason: adding links to our social media

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: We Made a Comic

Hello, I read them. There is a lot of text, and the message is often convoluted, while the fonts and their size don't give a good readability. Spell check would also likely be good. The last comic has a problem with how light is handled in the last panel. But font size is the real priority here. Nowadays broadband is easy to find and screens have a good definition, so larger images wouldn't be a problem.
    Some, however, are very good, I really liked the bikers discussing technology. If you'll post more, I'll read them.
    BEAUTIFUL COLOURS!!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: We Made a Comic

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Hello, I read them. There is a lot of text, and the message is often convoluted, while the fonts and their size don't give a good readability. Spell check would also likely be good. The last comic has a problem with how light is handled in the last panel. But font size is the real priority here. Nowadays broadband is easy to find and screens have a good definition, so larger images wouldn't be a problem.
    Some, however, are very good, I really liked the bikers discussing technology. If you'll post more, I'll read them.
    Thank you for the criticism! I agree, the comic at times gets a bit too wordy which is on me as the script writer. Admittedly, my prose isn't great but I'll try to be a bit more brief. As for obvious grammatical errors, I'll do my best to give the script a second or third pass to make sure it's readable. Honestly, sometimes we throw whole scripts out if we don't like them.

I did notice the lighting issue, but with most of our art errors by the time we feel a comic is done we try not hold up uploading it to fix any that we notice and just keep those errors in mind for future strips. This is to keep down procrastination, because there have been times we've sat on a strip for a month trying to 'get it right' before eventually abandoning it.

And as for the font size, I'll let Jim know that it should be blown up. I've been having issues reading it as well, though I thought that was because my vision was poor. Glad to see someone else noticed!

And by far the biker comic is one of my personal favorites; the idea came to me like lightning while I was walking to an appointment. Jim really did that one justice (and if you notice, there's a QR stamp on Allen's head that if you scan will lead to our website) Thank you again for your comments, and I hope we can hold your interest as a reader! :)

EDIT: Here's some comments from Jim, the artist.

[12:41:18 PM] Jim Ticka: Yeah the text size is a thing I'm aware of, its down to me planning out the panels well
    [12:41:18 PM] Jim Ticka: sometime we just have too much text to fit an image and text in a panel
    [12:41:31 PM] Jim Ticka: I try and fit them inbetween when I can but its rough
    [12:41:50 PM] Jim Ticka: I switched to an upper and lowercase version because it lets me fit it in a bit better without sacrificing legibility
    [12:42:34 PM] Jim Ticka: another issue is that the comic page actually shrinks our comics which I didn't realize in the beginning so what was legible on some became less so
    [12:50:38 PM] Jim Ticka: I've been thinking about doing it 4koma style
    [12:50:43 PM] Jim Ticka: wider panels going down
    Last edited by Shonen Hero; 2015-06-23 at 02:53 PM.