New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

I'm about to join a shorter high-level (and high-op) DSP game, and since my PC will replace a sorcerer based blaster and the remaining two PCs aren't exactly strong in the IQ and skill departments, it seems like a good opportunity for me to finally take the eldritch archer and the bladecaster PrC for a serious spin. The DM has recommended me to make a PC able to carry his weight even in very tough fights against high CR enemies (APL +7 or more), and judging from what I know about the other PCs and the campaign so far, that recommendation should be taken very seriously.

So besides spells and various tricks to bypass high saves, SR, energy resistance and DR, I'm looking into using firearms for attacks against touch AC. One possibility that struck me would be to go with a half-sahaugin (from Bloodforge; +Dex and Wis, -Cha) with the Four-Armed Freak ART in order to Spell Combat with four guns, but after I happened to read one of the FAQ entries on regular Spell Combat I've become a bit uncertain whether Ranged Spell Combat (RSC) allows for this or not, and would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Since the RSC doesn't require a free hand, I guess "the light or one-handed melee weapon in your other hand" would in the case of RSC be "the ranged weapon in your hands". Which would be prevent RSC with four guns due to the singular definitive "the ... weapon", even if my PC happened to have a million hands wielding a million guns.

But on the other hand (see what I did there?), I also believe it's perfectly reasonable to claim this FAQ entry isn't relevant in this particular case because:
    1. The FAQ is about regular SC, not RSC (and the Paizo dev team have repeatedly stated FAQ entries are always specific).
    2. The question being answered says "such as armor spikes and bites", which are not "weapons associated with a hand" and therefore not usable with SC anyway (see FAQ 1 in spoiler below).
    3. In a game limited to Paizo material, (the devs seem to assume) a PC cannot normally attack with more than two "weapons associated with a hand" during one full attack (even should they have gained additional hands through alchemical discoveries).

This question may also come up in games limited to Paizo material, since any eldritch archer may for example TWF with pistols or hand X-bows, or simply cast alter self and turn into a kashata (or they may be allowed to play one).

Can you use TWF or MWF with Ranged Spell Combat?

For reference, here's the Four-Armed Freak and RSC RAW plus three FAQ entries concerning regular SC (which AFAICT are the only ones which may be relevant):

Spoiler
    Show
    Four-Armed Freak (Ex): Some half-sahuagin have an extra pair of arms. These unfortunate freaks have a more stable physiology, losing the blood in the water and resilient physiology racial traits.

Ranged Spell Combat
    Instead of a light or one-handed melee weapon, an eldritch archer must use a ranged weapon for spell combat. She doesn't need a free hand for ranged spell combat. The eldritch archer cannot accept an attack penalty to gain a bonus on concentration checks to cast a spell defensively.

This ability modifies spell combat.

FAQ 1:
    Magus: When using spell combat, can the weapon in my other hand be an unarmed strike or a natural weapon?

Yes, so long as the weapon is a light or one-handed melee weapon and is associated with that hand. For example, unarmed strikes, claws, and slams are light melee weapons associated with a hand, and therefore are valid for use with spell combat. A tail slap is not associated with a hand, and therefore is not valid for use with spell combat.

FAQ 2:
    Magus, Spell Combat: Does spell combat count as making a full attack action for the purpose of haste and other effects?

Yes.

Edit 9/9/13: This is a revised ruling about how haste interacts with effects that are essentially a full attack, even though the creature isn't specifically using the full attack action (as required by haste). The earlier ruling did not allow the extra attack from haste when using spell combat.

FAQ 3:
    Magus, Spell Combat: If I use spell combat, how many weapon attacks can I make?

You can make as many weapon attacks as you would normally be able to make if you were making a full attack with that weapon. For example, if you are an 8th-level magus (BAB +6/+1), you could make two weapon attacks when using spell combat.

Edit 9/9/13: This is a revised ruling about how haste interacts with effects that are essentially a full attack, even though the creature isn't specifically using the full attack action (as required by haste). The earlier ruling implied that spell combat did not allow the extra attack from haste (because spell combat was not using the full attack action).

Since I'd also like to be able to cast offensive spells (and not only snowball) in combat against high CR monsters, as mentioned I of course have to get through a ton of crap such as high saves, SR, DR, resistances and immunities. Thankfully, I think a combo of items like the seraphic pistol, miserable weapons, metamagic rods (plus a Monkey Belt) and stuff such as the Elemental Focus feat and some nifty boosts from the Elemental Flux and Riven Hourglass disciplines should give me a decent chance to get through most of mentioned crap at least once or twice per encounter, without having to sacrifice more than a swift action. Most crap, but not high saves. Which is particularly annoying since save DCs would probably be the one thing in most need of a boost in order to give me even the slightest chance of success (due to 6/9 progression and being far from Int SAD).

What are the best ways for a magus to boost spell save DC?

Otherwise, I believe I've found decent solutions to problems such as the huge number of needed feats, reloading without free hands, removing misfire risks etc. I'll start at 15th level, but although I could have 14th level spell progression and CL 15 I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in more than 6 levels of magus.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Are any of the Rare Cantrips worth picking up? Jolt seems like it'd be particularly useful for a Magus, giving all-day Spell Strikes.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    One possibility that struck me would be to go with a half-sahaugin (from Bloodforge; +Dex and Wis, -Cha) with the Four-Armed Freak ART in order to Spell Combat with four guns, but after I happened to read one of the FAQ entries on regular Spell Combat I've become a bit uncertain whether Ranged Spell Combat (RSC) allows for this or not, and would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Since the RSC doesn't require a free hand, I guess "the light or one-handed melee weapon in your other hand" would in the case of RSC be "the ranged weapon in your hands". Which would be prevent RSC with four guns due to the singular definitive "the ... weapon", even if my PC happened to have a million hands wielding a million guns.

But on the other hand (see what I did there?), I also believe it's perfectly reasonable to claim this FAQ entry isn't relevant in this particular case because:
    1. The FAQ is about regular SC, not RSC (and the Paizo dev team have repeatedly stated FAQ entries are always specific).
    RSC is a modification of SC, not an unrelated ability, and what isn't modified stays the same. Contrast with the Maneuver Master Monk's Flurry of Maneuvers, which replaces FoB, and was usable with any weapon and any armor until the obvious intent was written in during the Great UC Nerf.

For reference, here's the Four-Armed Freak and RSC RAW plus three FAQ entries concerning regular SC (which AFAICT are the only ones which may be relevant):
    SC is already a special form of TWF. However, the "unarmed atrike or natural weapon?" FAQ makes it clear that one of the properties of SC is that you can only ever attack with your one hand-associated attack. In fact, all the FAQs support that restriction.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

As Casualviking states, this doesn't work. I suggest looking into the Natural Spell Combat arcana to get more attacks with spell combat.

Since I'd also like to be able to cast offensive spells (and not only snowball) in combat against high CR monsters
    Empowered Intensified Snowball is pretty good against high CR, particularly if you dip into sorcerer (as it bypasses saves, SR, and DR). Not many monsters are cold-resistant. The Magus's enchant weapon ability makes him very good at piercing DR in general.

What are the best ways for a magus to boost spell save DC?
    Same as a wizard: Spell Focus and int boosts, basically. The Magus is generally better off maxing his strength (or dex) and not using spells that require a save. At level 15, you're already three points behind a full caster (because he's casting higher level spells than you) and the caster can afford a higher primary stat due to SADness.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Lord View Post
    Are any of the Rare Cantrips worth picking up? Jolt seems like it'd be particularly useful for a Magus, giving all-day Spell Strikes.
    There are several other cantrips that already give him all-day spell strikes, such as Arcane Mark.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #515

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    However, the "unarmed atrike or natural weapon?" FAQ makes it clear that one of the properties of SC is that you can only ever attack with your one hand-associated attack.
    And I kept looking for exactly this - a clarification on SC and attacks unquestionably not related to TWF or hands - while it was right there under my nose and staring back at me practically the whole time! I really do feel my brain really has gotten older sometimes, and not in a good way...

Thanks a lot, and sorry 'bout my obviously hazy old grognard perception causing walls of text!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I suggest looking into the Natural Spell Combat arcana to get more attacks with spell combat.
    Unfortunately the ranged part is a kinda big deal in this case, but thanks for the tip.

Empowered Intensified Snowball is pretty good against high CR, particularly if you dip into sorcerer (as it bypasses saves, SR, and DR). Not many monsters are cold-resistant. The Magus's enchant weapon ability makes him very good at piercing DR in general.
    Yeah, I think I've already found ways to use snowball effectively without really having to worry 'bout cold resistance, immunities or DR (standard WBL really does give you a huge pile of gold to spend on nifty stuff when starting at 15th). Speaking of, especially in comparison to options with similar effects, Urea seems pretty darn fantastic for really cool magi, having a ridiculously low cost and no action loss.

Same as a wizard: Spell Focus and int boosts, basically. The Magus is generally better off maxing his strength (or dex) and not using spells that require a save. At level 15, you're already three points behind a full caster (because he's casting higher level spells than you) and the caster can afford a higher primary stat due to SADness.
    So basically I should be prepared to spam snowball against high CR enemies? I guess that's not the end of the world, since I'll most probably get to mix my snowball fighting and gunning with at least one or two control or buff spells and some interesting maneuvers here and there anyways.

But due to the no-go on RSC and MWF, I think I should check out alternatives to the magus if I'm going to do the whole four-armed machine-gun mage freak thing, since using RSC would result in a net loss of two gun attacks in comparison to a regular full attack. And bladecaster would still allow me to basically spellstrike and RSC as a swift, adding a ranged touch or touch spell to a ranged strike. Otherwise, it seems as if a single pistol and maybe a dip into spellslinger wizard might be a good magus gunner concept, with or without the bladecaster. What's your take on this?

Ideas and tips are most welcome!

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately the ranged part is a kinda big deal in this case, but thanks for the tip.
    At that level, your default ranged option should be Dimension Door

Speaking of, especially in comparison to options with similar effects, Urea seems pretty darn fantastic for really cool magi, having a ridiculously low cost and no action loss.
    Yes, it's been on my to-add list for some time. If you have other nifty stuff in mind, please share.

So basically I should be prepared to spam snowball against high CR enemies?
    Well 10d6 is nothing to sneeze at, pun intended.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Added Jolt cantrip as a nice option; Visualization of the Body / Mind spells (which are ridiculously powerful and prime banning material for PFS); Chaldira’s Luck trait (a nice skill boost for anyone) and Living Bulwark (take one for the team); and salt/urea reagents.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

just out of curiosity is any thing different between regular(with archetypes) magus and sphere magus

9. - Top - End - #519
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Visualization of the Body / Mind spells (which are ridiculously powerful and prime banning material for PFS)
    What's the source for these?

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slithery D View Post
    What's the source for these?
    Divine Anthology. Here's Body and Mind on the PFSRD. The passive +5 on associated checks are pretty solid, but what makes them so great is their active parts. You can get 1d8+level healing, +4 dodge to AC for 3 rounds, +6 to break stuff or enter/leave grapples for 1 minute, ranks equal to your HD in any one skill for 1 minute, a Will save reroll at +4, or +2 luck to all d20 rolls for 1 minute. Those are all (or at least mostly) pretty great, especially since you can trigger them as an immediate action. Cast them up to six times at the start of the day, and the 24-hour duration lets you have any/all of those excellent abilities available immediately when you want to use them. They're also a very nice pick for spontaneous casters, because each of them is sorta three spells in one. Only Visualization of the Body is on the Magus list, though.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Only Visualization of the Body is on the Magus list, though.
    Nothing Spell Blending wouldn't solve.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #522

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Divine Anthology. Here's Body and Mind on the PFSRD. The passive +5 on associated checks are pretty solid, but what makes them so great is their active parts. You can get 1d8+level healing, +4 dodge to AC for 3 rounds, +6 to break stuff or enter/leave grapples for 1 minute, ranks equal to your HD in any one skill for 1 minute, a Will save reroll at +4, or +2 luck to all d20 rolls for 1 minute. Those are all (or at least mostly) pretty great, especially since you can trigger them as an immediate action. Cast them up to six times at the start of the day, and the 24-hour duration lets you have any/all of those excellent abilities available immediately when you want to use them. They're also a very nice pick for spontaneous casters, because each of them is sorta three spells in one. Only Visualization of the Body is on the Magus list, though.
    Three points:
    1. you can only have one meditative spell in effect at once, and can only cast them when prepping spells. (You have to ready it the day before, and then cast it the next day while prepping.)

2. Visualisation of the mind gives a bonus on skill checks, Visualization of the Mind gives you a bonus on ability checks and skill checks. (Which means body doesn't give +5 init, which is....probably reasonable, from a 2nd level spell)

3. Spontaneous casters cannot benefit from meditative spells.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    just out of curiosity is any thing different between regular(with archetypes) magus and sphere magus
    i would be more stingy with Arcana that require pool expenditure, that's for sure.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Hello, on the front page, there is a sample build for Str/Dex/Cha builds. I'm wondering if somewhere in this thread there is an Int build as I'm looking for feat suggestions and guidelines.

Many thanks!
    Great avatar made by Tiffanie Lirle
    If you don't see me... you're already dead...
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    You Are A:
    Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laharal View Post
    Hello, on the front page, there is a sample build for Str/Dex/Cha builds. I'm wondering if somewhere in this thread there is an Int build as I'm looking for feat suggestions and guidelines.
    You use the cha build, except replacing the archetype by something else, and swapping its int and cha scores. Principle's the same.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

And you'd keep the same feats for the Int build as the Cha build?

Thanks for your help with this!
    Great avatar made by Tiffanie Lirle
    If you don't see me... you're already dead...
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    You Are A:
    Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laharal View Post
    And you'd keep the same feats for the Int build as the Cha build?
    Pretty much. You don't need Spont Metafocus and you may want to have fewer Extra Pool feats; decent alternatives include dazing spell, destructive dispel, and extra arcana: disruptive.

18. - Top - End - #528

At that level, your default ranged option should be Dimension Door
    Heh, yes, that would probably be pretty spot on in most cases, I think. But I'd like to stay clear of the frontline this time, mostly because I haven't played a PC focused on ranged combat in years, and never one using guns (in 3e/PF). Since I also rarely get a chance to play anything besides NPCs, I'd like to take the opportunity to try out something I haven't really done before. And also because although the party may be small in terms of the number of members, in combat I've gathered it's typically everything but in terms of "total weight" and "frontline volume occupied".

Meaning the other two PCs are both veritable mountains of metal-clad melee muscle; the battle templar "divine tank" is usually Large and sometimes Huge, and the scary combat maneuver specialist "psionic rager" (whose combat "style" has earned her the acronym "BDFO", ie "Big Dirty [CENSORED] Opportunist") will regularly grow Gargantuan if the environment permits it. Seems like the perfect partners for a small sneaky gun magus to hide behind while plugging enemies full of led and ice, especially since neither of the muscle guys are supposedly very good at dealing damage, while their control shenanigans were largely built to protect a squishier ally and to serve up softened targets for a ranged "striker" to turn into frozen meat colanders...

That said, I guess something like a bladebound magus 6/crimson countess harbinger 2/bladecaster 7 could be even more effective in this party, for example by being more able to take advantage of the many AoOs the two control guys likely generate.

Yes, it's been on my to-add list for some time. If you have other nifty stuff in mind, please share.
    Nothing that you aren't already aware of, I believe. The only thing I think you definitely should add to the guide besides Urea and perhaps a couple of other alchemical power components is the Monkey Belt. Possibly also the miserable magic weapon special ability, but it's maybe too niche to be worth mentioning.

Oh, and for some reason the compsognathus isn't on the list of recommended familiars - I think it's great since it can grasp stuff (wands!) and gives +4 initiative. Was this omission intentional?

Well 10d6 is nothing to sneeze at, pun intended.
    Ha ha! You even managed a cool double-pun, albeit a somewhat far fetched ranged one, since snowball might just have your enemies catch a cold. Intense dude, intense...

Though the damage is nice, an average +35 on a full attack is also decidedly unimpressive at 15th, especially since crit-fishing isn't really an option with "snowball gunning". And my hope was to find a way to be able to drastically increase the DC of other spells (especially dispel magic) a few times per day. But I think I'll manage, since I can use martial boosts to further increase damage if needed.

--------

I've talked to the GM about RSC and MWF not working according to RAW, and since the costs (in terms of accuracy penalties and especially feats and items) would be so significant and therefore limit the power of the combo anyways, he suggested a house rule for allowing it, but with two important restrictions:
    1. No iterative attacks with any off-hand weapons (meaning Improved and Greater TWF would only be useful when making regular full attacks).
    2. One off-hand attack less than available hands (so four attacks at the highest bab when using spellstrike with RSC and MWF, same as when making a regular full attack with all four hands).

We both thought this could be reasonable, but please let me know if we're missing something vital here which makes this problematic.

Provided we don't find any issues with the above house rule, this what my build looks like so far (comments in red):

Spoiler: Gilda "Frosty-Fins" Fengonir - Concept and Objectives
    Show
    Gilda's primary combat role is to be a ranged damage dealer, and I've tried to find the options which makes the basic concept "initiating machine gun magus" shine with that role. In short, I had five mechanical objectives I wanted Gilda to meet:
    1. Able to one-shot an average CR 15 foe in most rounds - including the first - of every combat, without any pre-combat prep (aside from stuff which can be expected to be always active).
    2. Able to one-shot an average CR 17 foe with prep time.
    3. Able to really step up her game and remain effective also against truly dangerous higher CR foes during at least a couple of rounds per day.
    4. Bring more than DPR and a few utility spells to the party, especially some debuffing power and staple arcane buffs, and the ability to act as party scout and general skill monkey and sage.
    5. Have a decent chance of surviving also very challenging high CR combats, which most notably means no weak saves (as powerful spells are likely to pose the most serious threat to a ranged gish).

The two most difficult objectives by far were #2 and #3, since ranged DPR generally has a much lower cap than melee, and the magus' offensive spells are increasingly difficult to boost sufficiently for use against higher level foes. Besides simply trying to get as many decently accurate and damaging gun attacks as possible into a Ranged Spell Combat full-round for good basic DPR, I decided to heavily prioritize options and combos which builds upon and expands the action economy advantage and combat versatility the magus and martial maneuvers can bring. And after quite a bit of head-scratching, searching and puzzling, I think the action economy and debuff shenanigans I've managed to squeeze into the build should mean Gilda is up to the challenge of facing truly epic threats, thankfully without having turned into some crazy tarrasque killer like more optimized melee builds have a tendency to be at this level.

Flavor-wise, since the half-sahuaging race as well as the gun-wielding magus concept are rather odd and exotic while both have such great mechanical impact on the build, I decided to embrace the weirdness and really emphasize the "good-natured and perceptive but socially awkward and ugly fish-woman in stylish clothes" and "water-cold-pirate-ish" elements. Thankfully this also got some great support from the GM, most notably in the form of a homebrew half-sahuagin spellcaster guild which I believe fits perfectly with the race, the campaign and the character concept, both in terms of flavor and in terms of mechanics.

Spoiler: Gilda "Frosty-Fins" Fengonir - Build Summary
    Show
    "Ole Frosty-Fins is wha' crawled ashore afta' "the ancient cold magic o' the silent depths o' the Steaming Sea" got ta share bunk with "the revolutionary booming technology o' the fiery Mana Wastes". Damn freak bred by some unholy 'liance o' cold-blooded shark people witches an' crazy 'hot-'eaded landlubber inventors I tell ya, with contrasts plenty an' stark 'nough ta make Nethys cry with envy... Ugly as sin an' voice like a croc who's 'ad a gallon o' bad rum, but the gal's got a mind sharper than a shark's tooth an' hands quicker than a whore in Absalom - an' she's got four of 'em!

Yep, could've made it big an' ruled the seas hadn't her heart been so bloody soft!"
    - Captain Bordinius "Twelve-Toes" Riddhorne, "Inner Sea Privateer", about his old friend of Gilda Fengonir.

All following values while in Broken Blade Stance, using arcane pool for +2 enhancement to bonded weapon, and under the effects of overland flight, haste and reduce person.

Half-Sahuagin Eldritch Archer Magus 6, Myrmidon Trench Fighter 3, Privateer Warlord 1, Bladecaster 5
    NG Small female humanoid (aquatic, crossblood, human)

Initiative +16; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +29

DEFENSE
    AC 35, touch 23, flat-footed 25 (9 armor, 3 shield, 9 dex, 2 deflection, 1 dodge, 1 size)
    HP 112 (10+6d8+8d10 hit dice, 30 con, 1 favored class)
    Fort +21, Ref +20, Will +18; +2 to Will vs compulsion and fear
    Defensive Abilities arcane steel (casting grants THP = 2 x spell level), constant endure elements (Ex), unbreakable (spend 1 grit as immediate for +4 to one save); Resist cold 5

OFFENSE
    Speed 40 ft., fly 90 ft., swim 60 ft.
    Ranged spellstrike w. Deadly Aim: doomfrost +18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+8 (1d6+23 plus 2d6 vs evil and 1d6 cold), demon-chiller +16/+16 (1d6+21 plus miserable) and trusty +16 (1d6+21) Machine gunning!
    Space 5 ft., Reach 5 ft.
    Attack Abilities and Special Attacks arcane ruin (foe damaged by strike take -2 AC and saves vs spells until maneuver recovery), battlecaster's strike 5/day (cast touch as swift against target of strike), ranged spell combat, ranged spellstrike, sea combat (melee with pistols, pistols treated as light weapons, reload w/o free hand or provoking), Steaming Sea surge 3/day (free action at start of turn, all damage dealt during 1 round changed to cold)

Animus 2 at combat start, +1 per round, +1 per round in which maneuver was used, max 2 per maneuver
    Arcane Pool 9/day
    Grit 6 at start of day and max, +1 per crit or kill with firearm
    Deeds deadeye, man of action, ready for trouble, ricochet shot, utility trick These are only the deeds not fully accounted for elsewhere.

Myrmidon/Bladecaster Stances and Readied Maneuvers IL 13, 7 known (Broken Blade, Elemental Flux, Glacial Frost, Riven Hourglass, Tempest Gale)
    Stances Dancing Winds StanceTG5, Sniper’s Eye StanceTG1, Stance of Arcane Steel3
    Boosts Shatter ResistanceEF6
    Counters Beat the ClockRH7, Temporal Body AdjustmentRH4
    Strikes Elemental VortexEF5
    Glacial Frost (from PoW:E) is the cold-based version of Solar Wind.

Warlord Stances and Readied Maneuvers IL 7, 6 known (Broken Blade, Glacial Frost, Riven Hourglass, Tempest Gale)
    Stances Broken Blade StanceBB3
    Boosts Iron KnuckleBB4, Searing BreakGF4
    Counters Deflecting ShotTG2
    Strikes Dazzling Solar FlareGF3

Maneuver Recovery
    Myrmidon full-round: recover 5, each attack vs Gilda grant AoO and 5-foot step Used if out of maneuvers and no foe can be attacked, so hopefully not in combat.
    Privateer full-round: recover 2, check to demoralize all opponents within 30 ft. No, don't think so. Listed only for completeness sake.
    Daring Gambit swift: perform pinhole gambit, allies within 30 ft. recover 1 on success Go-to method: swift, class independent and allows everyone to recover.
    Heroic Recovery swift: spend 1 grit to recover 1 maneuver Secondary method, used if pinhole gambit isn't an option or seems likely to fail.
    Arcane Recovery free: expend prepared spell to recover maneuver of up to same level and gain +2 CL to next spell cast within 1 min. Rarely worth the cost, but a free action recover (even of a maneuver used in same turn) and CL boost can be exactly what the doctor ordered vs truly bad-ass BBEGs (or would that be "BTBAEGs"? ).

Magus Spells Prepared CL 15 (spells/day as 14th level magus), concentration +21
    5thcorrosive consumption, overland flight, wall of force
    4thdimension door, named bullet (2), pyrotechnic eruption, ward shield
    3rddispel magic, displacement, irradiate, sleet storm, vampiric touch
    2nddefending bone, glitterdust, frigid touch (2), invisibility (2)
    1stabundant ammunition (2), snowball (4), true skill
    0th (at will)detect magic, light, mage hand, prestidigitation, ray of frost

STATISTICS

Ability Scores 20 point-buy
    Str 7 7 base, 2 enhancement, -2 size
    Dex 28 16 base, 2 race, 2 level, 6 enhancement, 2 size
    Con 14 12 base, 2 enhancement
    Int 20 15 base, 1 level, 4 enhancement
    Wis 18 14 base, 2 race, 2 enhancement Primary initiation modifier. Seems there are no good ways to combine Int-based initiating with firearms.
    Cha 8 10 base, -2 race
    Yeah, she's about as MAD as Alfred E. Neuman. Especially her Con suffers for it, but thanks to her good Fort progression, not being on the frontline and having several good defensive abilities I think she'll manage. And at least her relatively high Wis also improves her otherwise rather mediocre Will.

Class and Feat Progression The order of the feats should be reasonable and not require retraining, but doesn't otherwise matter.
    1 Fighter 1: Combat ReflexesB, Deadly AimB, Precise Point-Blank Shot Precise Shot and Point-Blank Shot is house ruled into one feat.
    2 Magus 1: -
    3 Magus 2: Combat Casting This is unfortunately a requirement for bladecaster.
    4 Magus 3: -
    5 Magus 4: Improved Counterspell This is unfortunately a requirement for bladecaster.
    6 Magus 5: Tap AnimusB
    7 Fighter 2: Elemental Focus (water)
    8 Fighter 3: - Dex to damage with guns, and it's compatible with the myrmidon archetype. Thank you DSP!
    9 Bladecaster 1: Rapid Shot Bladecaster is weak compared to the Battle Templar and Awakened Blade, but the only PrC for arcane and initiating progression.
    10 Bladecaster 2: -
    11 Bladecaster 3: Weapon Group Adaptation (firearms) Broken Blade Stance with multiple guns? Hell yeah!
    12 Bladecaster 4: -
    13 Warlord 1: Amateur GunslingerB, Rapid Reload (pistol), GunsmithingB, Ricochet Shot DeedB
    14 Bladecaster 5: -
    15 Magus 6: Multiweapon Fighting This final level of Magus is taken late in order to increase choices for Spell Blending.
    Familiar: Alertness
    Incandescent Blue Sphere in wayfinder: Blind-Fight
    Lord of the Wheel: Lurker in Darkness
    The reason for going warlord privateer rather than stalker privateer, despite a good Wis and a bad Cha, is the huge pile of gun related stuff which can be gained with a mere 1-level dip. Besides the bonus gun feats listed here, the warlord version also grants Gilda the very useful Sea Combat ploy and her main maneuver recovery method. As a comparison, no less than seven levels of stalker privateer would've been needed to gain the three ploys Gilda now gets through her one-level dip. I don't think a single level of any other class grants even remotely as much to a gun wielder.

Miscellaneous
    Skills Acrobatics +13, Disable Device +29, Fly +30, Knowledge (arcane, planes) +23, Knowledge (dungeoneering, history) +9, Perception +29, Sense Motive +26, Sleight of Hand +34, Spellcraft +23, Stealth +33, Swim +21, Use Magic Device +17 The boosted SoH is primarily because Tempest Gale maneuvers make heavy use of it. A few skill points still remain to be placed.
    Languages Abyssal, Aklo, Aquan, Common, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Undercommon

Magus Arcana Familiar (Bertus, compsognathus), Spell Blending (abundant ammunition, named bullet); SQ Amphibious
    Alternate Racial Traits Four-Armed Freak; Traits Magic Knack, Practiced Initiator
    Martial Traditions Acolytes of the Arrow, Lords of the Wheel; Spellcaster Guild Cold Cave Laboratories Guild designed by the GM, prestige points grants the cold resistance and the Steaming Sea surge ability.

Gear doomfrost (+1 greater reliable holy frost pistol, bonded item), demon-chiller (+1 greater reliable miserable (evil outsiders) pistol), trusty (+1 greater reliable pistol), mithral celestial armor of +2 deflection and +5 resistance, +2 buckler, beneficial monkey belt (+6 dex, +2 str, con), buffering cap of the cool mind (+4 int, +2 wis), eyes of the eagle, deft gloves (+5 sleight of hand), scarf of manipulation (+7 use magic device, worn by Bertus), steelwalker's boots, familiar satchel, muleback cords, power charm of the empowered on bracelet of charms, cracked incandescent blue sphere in wayfinder, mwk thieves' tools, gunsmith's kit, pearls of power (two 1st level, two 2nd level, one 3rd level), lesser intensified metamagic rod (2), lesser rime metamagic rod, wands of contingent action (10 charges, carried by Bertus), haste (carried by Bertus), mirror image and reduce person (carried by Bertus), dweomer's essence (2), oil of silence (6), myrrh (25 castings), urea (100 castings), alchemical cartridges (200), 1,350 gp The game uses the Steelforge item rules, i.e. tax-free stacking of big six and skill competence bonuses onto any slotted item. The GM gave me an extra 60 grand (25% of WBL due to bonded item and crafting feats of allies) on the condition that the market price of my bonded gun would be at least equal to this amount.

Spoiler: Basic Combos and Tricks
    Show
    The damage values in parenthesis below isn't DPR, just the average damage if all attacks hit, none crit, and the target is evil and has no DR or cold resistance.

Familiar Wand Wielding
    Bertus can use wands with 100% success chance, effectively almost doubling up on buff actions.

Spell Combat Turn (507.5 damage)
    1. Swift - Iron Knuckle (+14 average damage to all attacks for 1 round)
    2. Full-round - spell combat with spellstrike:
    2a. may move total distance of up to 45 ft. before, after or between attacks (steelwalker's boots)
    2b. casts intensified snowball (using rod)
    2c. spellstrike to deliver snowball via attack (+18) with doomfrost (86 damage)
    2d. attack granted by haste (+18) with doomfrost (51 damage on hit)
    2e. attack granted by Rapid Shot (+18) with doomfrost (51 damage on hit)
    2f. main hand attack granted by Broken Blade Stance (+18) with doomfrost (51 damage)
    2g. regular attack (+18) with doomfrost (51 damage vs evil opponent)
    2h. off-hand attack granted by Broken Blade Stance (+16) with demon-chiller (38.5 damage)
    2i. regular off-hand attack (+16) with demon-chiller (38.5 damage)
    2j. regular off-hand attack (+16) with trusty (38.5 damage)
    2k. first regular iterative attack (+13) with doomfrost (51 damage)
    2l. second regular iterative attack (+8) with doomfrost (51 damage)
    3. Turn ends - gains 2 points of animus

Machine Gun Action Round (658.5 damage, target may also be entangled and/or dazed or dazzled)
    1. Bertus casts contingent action (using wand) on Gilda during his turn or before combat
    2. Swift - Iron Knuckle (+14 damage to all attacks for 1 round)
    3. Free - contingent action triggered: Elemental Vortex (+18) with doomfrost augment 2 (86 damage, Fort DC 21 or entangled 4 rounds)
    4. Full-round - spell combat with spellstrike, as above
    5. Turn ends - gains 2 points of animus
    6. Immediate - Beat the Clock directly after turn: Dazzling Solar Flare (+18) with doomfrost (65 damage, Fort DC 18 dazzled 1 round or dazed 2.5 rounds)

Auto-Cannon (up to +822 additional damage with Spell Combat Turn as above)
    This is only for when prep is possible and the enemy type and/or name is known.
    1. Casts Abundant Ammunition on Beneficial Bandolier
    2. Casts Named Bullet on one alchemical cartridge in Beneficial Bandolier
    3. Fires free auto-threatening bullets and adding 15 damage to crits against chosen enemy type within 30 ft. during next 15 minutes (x4 crit weapons have their uses...)

Deep Freeze Turn (enemy takes additional damage and -10 SR for 1 round)
    If a particularly annoying enemy seems to be suffering from a bad case of SR and/or cold resistance/immunity
    1. Free - uses Steaming Sea surge (all damage is cold damage for 1 round)
    2. Swift - Shatter Resistance augment 2 (attacks gain +14 damage, ignore energy resistance, SR of creature damaged is lowered by 10 for 1 round)
    4. Full-round - spell combat with spellstrike, as above but with rime corrosive consumption/pyrotechnic eruption/irradiate (using rod) instead of snowball (plus Urea or Dweomer's Essence if deemed necessary)
    5. Turn ends - gains 2 points of animus

Improvement suggestions most welcome!
    Last edited by upho; 2016-10-26 at 06:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529

A few other things I forgot to mention which you might wanna add to the guide:
    1. Pyrotechnic eruption is an OK (orange?) single-target 4th level blasting spell, a sorta more front-loaded fire-based corrosive consumption but with Dex for half.
    2. Polearm Dancer (from PoW:E) if your Dex magus cannot stop drooling over reach weapons. Counts as Finesse and is combos nicely with Deadly Agility, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Trick: Polearm and maybe Seize the Opportunity (see below). Dip Warder for free Combat Reflexes and add bladecaster levels for extra melee control and AoO damage fun (swap in say Elemental Flux, Riven Hourglass and/or Shattered Mirror via trait/tradition).
    3. Seize the Opportunity (from PoW:E) might not play to the strengths of a magus in particular, but it's still a simply amazing feat. It's hard to overestimate the amount of shenanigans this allows you to pull off.
    4. Elemental Flux discipline and the associated Elemental Focus and Tap Animus can be worth mentioning. These have some potentially great synergy with especially a magus focusing on a specific type of energy damage, and may help substantially with not only piercing energy resistance but eventually also SR (see for example Shatter Resistance and Gilda's "Deep Freeze" combo in my previous post).
    5. Finally, the excellent Riven Hourglass discipline, since it has a number of action-saving stances, boosts and counters which jam well with the magus' love of full attacks.

Otherwise, your guide seems to be choke full of pure win!
    Last edited by upho; 2016-10-26 at 07:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm aware that it's a totally different system, but what are your thoughts on a Magus in a campaign that includes Spheres of Power? Is it worth using in such an environment? I ask because I GM a SoP game and want to know if including it in the game world is worth it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

How is the Cyclops Helmet NOT on this list? A good strike with a +1 Flaming Burst(with Freezing Burst and Shocking Burst, along with, let's say Keen for the turns where Cyclops Helm isn't guaranteeing instacrit, from the arcane pool) scythe is 9d10+8d4+3d6+quadruple strength to damage+4.

9d10 averages to 49.5, 8d4 to 20, 3d6 averages 10.5, so that makes 74 plus 4 times your strength bonus--which is already 1.5 times your modifier. More if your friends have the feat that lets them give away criticals.

And if you're spellstriking with a different weapon? Well, the Cyclops Helm will let you pick to crit then, too, your Intensified Shocking Grasp hitting for 20d6, or, if you're really stacking on the metamagic(say, a metamagic rod of empower+maximize from spell slots--which typically means a 4th level spell slot given that pretty much every magus reduces Intensified Shocking Grasp to a level 1 spell), 120+10d6 for a average of 155 damage on a desperation attack.

Slap those together, and you can inflict a good 250 damage, easy. AND THAT'S ONLY ON YOUR FIRST ATTACK OF THE TURN. And that's assuming that the scythe is your backup weapon--at a +3, it costs about 20k, so a high level character could easily afford to lug it around.

Edit:This becomes even more vicious with a gun magus build, because then you can invest in AMMO EFFECTS, like Thundering and Corrosive Burst, and you're working with your main weapon.... not to mention you can use NAMED BULLET, letting you instead focus on auto-confirming.
    Last edited by hector212121; 2016-10-26 at 08:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532

I'm aware that it's a totally different system, but what are your thoughts on a Magus in a campaign that includes Spheres of Power? Is it worth using in such an environment? I ask because I GM a SoP game and want to know if including it in the game world is worth it or not.
    I haven't yet played with SoP, but from what I've heard and as far as I can tell from reading up on the system, the Paizo Magus should work fine balance-wise, since both SoP casters and the magus are less powerful than Paizo full casters. And I know people said they used SoP with Paizo magus (and some other Paizo 6/9 casters) without issues a year back or so. Also, you might wanna check this homebrew out if you'd prefer to have only one magic system in your setting/game and don't like the SoP magus archetype (black blade?), which IIRC combines only with a rare few worthwhile Paizo magus archetypes.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

The only thing I think you definitely should add to the guide besides Urea and perhaps a couple of other alchemical power components is the Monkey Belt. Possibly also the miserable magic weapon special ability, but it's maybe too niche to be worth mentioning.
    Urea and salt are on the list, I haven't found other useful alchemical components for a Magus. Monkey Belt is good for its prehensile tail, I'll add that. Miserable would be nice if it worked on everything, but as it's limited to one creature type it's really not worth it.

Oh, and for some reason the compsognathus isn't on the list of recommended familiars - I think it's great since it can grasp stuff (wands!) and gives +4 initiative. Was this omission intentional?
    I don't see any mention of hands or grasping in its statblock. (edit) to clarify, I'm not listing all familiars (or all feats or all spells) because that's not what most readers are looking for; there's already database pages for that. So under familiars, there's a list of abilities granted by familiars, with a few examples for each ability; it's not a full list of possible familiars.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll have to check out the POW feats later. Pyro Eruption was on my list, but I considered it not interesting enough to include. That's because for a Magus that wants damage, either a touch spell or an area effect reflex spell is much better than a single-target reflex spell.

Quote Originally Posted by hector212121 View Post
    How is the Cyclops Helmet NOT on this list?
    Because this item is not normally available outside of Emerald Spire. I try to avoid campaign-specific material.

I'm aware that it's a totally different system, but what are your thoughts on a Magus in a campaign that includes Spheres of Power?
    I'm not familiar with SOP, and as far as I can tell it's not widely used (so I don't see much of a reason to add it to the handbook, so far).
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2016-10-27 at 03:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534

Miserable would be nice if it worked on everything, but as it's limited to one creature type it's really not worth it.
    Yeah, you're right. And I'm actually starting to reconsider the choice for my "machine gun magus" as well.

I don't see any mention of hands or grasping in its statblock. (edit) to clarify, I'm not listing all familiars (or all feats or all spells) because that's not what most readers are looking for; there's already database pages for that. So under familiars, there's a list of abilities granted by familiars, with a few examples for each ability; it's not a full list of possible familiars.
    Oh gods no, I don't think you should list everything. Please remain highly selective, it's a major reason why I find your guide to be so user-friendly!

I was mostly just surprised that you mentioned the other +4 initiative familiars but not the compso, since the wand wielding thing (although GM dependent) is kinda big.

The grasp ability hides in the magic item slots for animals table, which says:
    Some creature body types are able to grasp and carry one object at a time in their paws, claws, or hands, including weapons, rods, wands, and staves, though they may not be able to use such items effectively (GM's discretion) and take penalties for nonproficiency as usual.
    (Generally speaking, from my limited experience with other GMs, they tend to be much more likely to allow wand manipulation to animals which actually have grasping "hands" (such as a monkey and most biped dinosaurs with an acceptable number of digits) rather than grasping "feet" (such as a dodo or a raven). But YMMV, of course.)

Pyro Eruption was on my list, but I considered it not interesting enough to include. That's because for a Magus that wants damage, either a touch spell or an area effect reflex spell is much better than a single-target reflex spell.
    True. The reason I noticed and added it was because of the lack of other good 4th level blasting choices. But since most magi have a metamagic feat or two, I guess it's kinda pointless.
    Last edited by upho; 2016-10-27 at 09:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Added Life Bubble spell, Monkey Belt and Page of Spell Knowledge items, Polearm Dancer feat.

Thank you. Seize the Opportunity is not so great because you can already use trip and disarm as an attack of opportunity. Elemental Focus feat doesn't seem to work on spell damage or magic weapon damage, meaning that it remains a good choice to pick a different element. I haven't gotten around to adding specific disciplines yet.

True. The reason I noticed and added it was because of the lack of other good 4th level blasting choices. But since most magi have a metamagic feat or two, I guess it's kinda pointless.
    Dragon's Breath is a decent choice.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

So, I took a look at Inner Sea Temples. For use with spell blending, the spells Free Spirit and Incessant Buzzing may be nice. The item Saliharion is a good deal for anyone who's into knowledge checks (and seems like banhammer material for PFS, really).

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

On the topic of Sphere Magus, Sphere's of Power is actually a surprisingly popular subsystem, especially here on the forums, that said, I wouldn't suggest adding it to your guide. While it plays similarly to the core magus, the change in casting would make it a larger project than you should take up.

If you decide to add it in on your own accord, I suggest linking to Stacks handbook The Orrery and note that most of the information you have is still valid, except for metamagic feats being much less viable for the Magus, due to spontaneous style casting time increases.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

28. - Top - End - #538

Thank you. Seize the Opportunity is not so great because you can already use trip and disarm as an attack of opportunity.
    For magi in general, I guess StO can be interesting primarily because it makes focusing on dirty trick much more worthwhile, giving a potentially highly effective debuff/control tool without opponent size caps and which remains largely unaffected by immunities even in higher levels. Both trip and disarm are, or at least become in later levels, significantly more limited in most games IME.

Especially for a Str-size-reach AoO build, it can also really ramp up damage via Vital Strike (for example combined with trip generated AoOs). Or control/mobility shenanigans with bull rush and/or overrun (and for example a 2-level dip into siegebreaker fighter for extra fun).

Finally, if someone ever makes a grapple focused magus build viable, StO allows you to both initiate and then immediately maintain a grapple (with some supporting options), tying up a foe using only two AoOs. Hilarious and potentially devastatingly effective, although admittedly probably not particularly fitting for magus based builds.

Elemental Focus feat doesn't seem to work on spell damage or magic weapon damage, meaning that it remains a good choice to pick a different element. I haven't gotten around to adding specific disciplines yet.
    Yeah, it's not very interesting before 10th level, although it can have some limited benefits earlier if focusing on Elemental Flux.

Dragon's Breath is a decent choice.
    Yep. I realize my suggestion of Pyrotechnic Eruption was highly colored by the specific context of a bladecaster.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Visualization of the Body / Mind spells (which are ridiculously powerful and prime banning material for PFS)
    The item Saliharion is a good deal for anyone who's into knowledge checks (and seems like banhammer material for PFS, really).
    Called it :)

Also, added the Saliharion and the Free Spirit spell.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2016-11-10 at 06:05 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

So, this month's book is Blood of Beasts. It contains some interesting spells for the Magus including Bit of Luck, Curse of Befouled Fortune, Gullibility, Pouncing Fury. There's also the Naga Shape line of spells, but changing into a form without arms is not a great plan for a melee character.

Also, the kitsune can now be a dex/int race, and vanara can be small-sized (giving bonuses to hit and AC as usual).