New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

That's part of the beauty of learning spells like a wizard. Backup spells only cost you a little gold.

2. - Top - End - #62

Planetar

The Elemental Spell metamagic is also an option, of course, if you are going for Spell Perfection. Spell Penetration, however, can be just as viable, and its damn near required at higher levels.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Snowball fixes all your problems with SR, heck I say it is better than Shocking Graps, same damage potential, no SR and the rider is awesome, also it works with Rime spell without going through hoops.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Snowball requires Close Range Arcana to function with spellstrike. RAW it actually doesn't work with Close Range, though I figure most DM's would overlook that.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Crap I missed that
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Changed myrmidarch to red, card caster to green.
    Added Elemental Spell and Spell Penetration.
    Added multiclass section. In that regard, I haven't found any presclasses that are worth it on a Magus, although suggestions are welcome.
    Finally, added Cantrips and L1 Spells.

Enjoy!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Added multiclass section. In that regard, I haven't found any presclasses that are worth it on a Magus, although suggestions are welcome.
    Some people like to dive into eldritch knight. You lose improvedspell recall and heavy armor, but gain more bab and auto-quicken on crit.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You also get your spell levels a level later and you don't get that (admittedly awesome) crit quicken until level 15 minimum.

It's not a terrible choice, but I wouldn't ever recommend it. Spell Critical Arcana is the same thing once a day for MUCH less investment. Really, how often are you going to crit something worth burning an extra spell on in a round where you haven't already used your swift action as a Magus.
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2015-07-14 at 12:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

DwarfClericGuy

On the subject of the Myrmidarch: Use Spell Blending to pick up Named Bullet, cast it on an arrow. Spellstrike Disintegrate. High level, but funny, perhaps. If you have the metamagic arcana, throw maximise and empower on it as well.

Maybe not an effective use of spells, but a pretty funny one when you announce damage.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    Some people like to dive into eldritch knight. You lose improvedspell recall and heavy armor, but gain more bab and auto-quicken on crit.
    Yes, that's worth mentioning. I don't think it's a particularly good choice though. You also lose several arcana and counterstrike, and you don't gain that much more BAB (the Magus really doesn't have an accuracy problem anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    On the subject of the Myrmidarch: Use Spell Blending to pick up Named Bullet, cast it on an arrow. Spellstrike Disintegrate.
    I'm not sure if I see the point here. Disintegrate is normally a touch attack with a range of 260'. Named Bullet makes it a touch attack with a range of 30' and it now has to roll against spell resistance twice. If you want to crit with Disintegrate, I recommend using Close Range or a Blood Scarab instead.

(edit) Also, L2 spells are up.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2015-07-15 at 09:01 AM.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Third-level spells are up.

I would like some input on the various polymorph spells. The Magus is one of the few classes that gets access to the entire line, from Beast Shape to Elemental Body to Monstrous Physique to Undead Anatomy, and I would like to hear some good forms to take. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am not that familiars with Pathfinder PrCs, but for 3.P games:

The Eldrich Scion archetype may find a dip into Sandshaper worth it. I doubt other archetypes will find the crapton of extra spells known worth it, even with the ones that are a lower level than elsewhere. But for the Scion...

Nar Demonbinder and Sublime Chord offers spell advancement past level 6. That is huge. Sublime Chord is a bit tricky to qualify for, but once in there, pile on a +1 bab/+1 caster level PrC. If you can swing it, Eldrich Knight 1 first, then Sublime Chord, then EK +9. You are not left with a lot of Magus though.

Nar Demonbinder needs spell list expansion work after.

13. - Top - End - #73

Awesome guide! My DM allows back-porting of PF material into his 3.5 games (as do I when I run games) but I've never really explored the Magus. This guide has helped immensely.

14. - Top - End - #74

DwarfClericGuy

I'm not sure if I see the point here. Disintegrate is normally a touch attack with a range of 260'. Named Bullet makes it a touch attack with a range of 30' and it now has to roll against spell resistance twice. If you want to crit with Disintegrate, I recommend using Close Range or a Blood Scarab instead.
    Scarab lets you automatically confirm a critical, not threaten. You might be talking about the Cyclops helmet, but I personally think that's an atrociously poorly thought out item from a game design point of view so I tend to ignore it's existence. Also, SR isn't that common, though I'll cede that it tends to be on more powerful/threatening enemies when it's least convenient for it to be there. And hell, if you really want you can stack a Cyclops hat on top to triple your Cl to damage on that crit from named bullet if you really want to go there.

Mostly I just think it's a moderately amusing interaction, and it's a potentially nice/fresh/amusing thing that the Myrmidarch can get/do that I'm not sure Pathfinder otherwise easily allows for.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

I would like some input on the various polymorph spells. The Magus is one of the few classes that gets access to the entire line, from Beast Shape to Elemental Body to Monstrous Physique to Undead Anatomy, and I would like to hear some good forms to take. Thanks!
    IIRC, their big problem is most don't allow weapon usage, obviating spellstrike, and the innate spellstrike of natural attacks is delayed.
    Monstrous Physique does, as well as undead anatomy. Those are great. The others don't see much combat use other than backups when your scimitar is gone.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

All spells are up.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimator View Post
    Awesome guide! My DM allows back-porting of PF material into his 3.5 games (as do I when I run games) but I've never really explored the Magus. This guide has helped immensely.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
    I am not that familiars with Pathfinder PrCs, but for 3.P games:
    I'll have to check those, but I'm not sure whether I want to include a lot of 3.5 material here. Besides, as you say, a high-level build that is mostly EK and SC levels isn't really much of a Magus build.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Scarab lets you automatically confirm a critical, not threaten.
    Correct. But if you want to crit something, then rolling to hit normally and automatically confirming will give you pretty much the same chance of success as automatically threatening if you hit and rolling to confirm normally.

I'll have to check out that helmet, I hadn't heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    IIRC, their big problem is most don't allow weapon usage, obviating spellstrike, and the innate spellstrike of natural attacks is delayed.
    Monstrous Physique does, as well as undead anatomy. Those are great. The others don't see much combat use other than backups when your scimitar is gone.
    Thanks. Can you give an example of a good form or two? I assume that anything with multiple natural attacks and pounce is the primary goal, but perhaps there are some cool abilities out there.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2015-07-17 at 05:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Its great to see my favorite class getting some love! Walters guide is great, but it was getting a little outdated, with some of the new tricks Magi can get such as Arcane Deed. You may have already seen it, but I use this guide for reference when it comes to the various polymorph spells.

I don't think elemental body lets you keep your gear (though I would like to be proved wrong), so unless you want something specific I dont generally think its worth it. Monstrous Physique is my favourite, particularly for a strength Magus, the stat ups are great, and forms like 4 armed gargoyle can seriously boost your DPR. (though In that form, I prefer to use the spare hands to THF with my main weapon, hold a metamagic rod and still spell combat rather than get a barrel of individually meh attacks usually). You can get pounce, but few Monstrous Humanoids seem to have it, and the only one I can find might get banned by some DMs due to setting constraints (Tikbalang). Beast Shape= no spellcasting which utterly sucks, so I cant see it ever being a good combat spell, but it could see some good utility use. I have used small and tiny forms for stealth/infiltration a few times to good effect, for those levels where see invisibility is a problem but true seeing is not. I have never used the undead one.... might see if i can find anything.

18. - Top - End - #78

DwarfClericGuy

Someone was good enough to actually make a Pathfinder Shapeshifting Guide

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Planetar

What is your opinion on the spell Shining Cord? It is a material component spell, but I think its very useful for a magus.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I really can't think of a situation where that's particularly useful. If you're chasing someone, I guess? But the range is crap and it reduces your mobility just as much as theirs. For 100 gp component, I wouldn't even bother learning it unless there's something I'm missing. Sense Motive and Perception don't happen THAT often in combat, If you miss your attack then you wasted your component as well.

21. - Top - End - #81

Planetar

I like it as a dueling spell (as in, magus vs singled-out target, though in actual duels it might be much more useful), but yes, your criticisms are very valid. Also, being a Force spell, it fully effects incorporeal enemies; and the AC helps as well.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nobody who knows what that spell does is going to leave the tether, though. It's suicide. Hell, first thing I would do if someone cast that on me is check if I had any knockbacks prepped and just use their spell against them. Way too risky of a spell for both a third slot and a 100 gold component.

23. - Top - End - #83

Planetar

The point is that nobody will want to leave. You might consider it a more personal form of battlefield control; when you cast it on somebody, it becomes a 'you and me' fight. I'm not saying its a great spell, but it has its uses.

24. - Top - End - #84

While we are talking about fringe magus spells, I just saw this one, http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...tutor-s-spirit and I wanted peoples opinions. Does this work to remove spell combat penalties? I think this might be a neat trick for mid to high level Magi, particularly with a lesser extend rod.

Edit! Just seen that the guide makes mention of it already! Ignore me !
    Last edited by Katana1515; 2015-07-18 at 04:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

DwarfClericGuy

Looks like it indeed should, by my reading.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Planetar

I don't think it would remove normal spell combat penalties, but the penalties you can take for a concentration bonus are definitely counted for.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Added a few more 1st level spells (glue seal, blade lash, thunderstomp, wave shield, windy escape, reduce person, silent image) and 2nd level spells (euph cloud, pyrotech, def bone, stone shield, raven's flight, river whip).

Quote Originally Posted by Katana1515 View Post
    Its great to see my favorite class getting some love! Walters guide is great, but it was getting a little outdated, with some of the new tricks Magi can get such as Arcane Deed. You may have already seen it, but I use this guide for reference when it comes to the various polymorph spells.
    Thanks, that's a useful source!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    What is your opinion on the spell Shining Cord? It is a material component spell, but I think its very useful for a magus.
    As a Magus-only spell, it should clearly be on the list. +2 AC and those skill bonuses are not so great for a 3rd level spell; its main aim is to prevent an enemy from getting away from you. However, since the cord is 30', he'd still be in range of your allies. I'm having trouble imagining a situation where this is actually useful; I wouldn't generally want to spend a spell slot on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana1515 View Post
    While we are talking about fringe magus spells, I just saw this one, http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...tutor-s-spirit and I wanted peoples opinions. Does this work to remove spell combat penalties?
    By my reading, spell combat is indeed "one or more actions or feats that apply penalties to attack rolls with your melee weapons", so BTS should remove its penalty.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2015-07-18 at 12:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

I'll have to check those, but I'm not sure whether I want to include a lot of 3.5 material here. Besides, as you say, a high-level build that is mostly EK and SC levels isn't really much of a Magus build.
    To a degree.
    At level 7, you've got spell combat, spell recall, knowledge pool and magus arcanas. After that, you mostly get improvements and refinements to already existing abilities. If you go for High-BaB and spellcasting.improving classes from there on, you should still be fundamentally a Magus, albeit with a different focus.

Unlike, if you got for some kind of sneak attack build from there, or get into divine spells and go Mystic Theurge or something. That really takes you out of how a Magus plays, I think.

Anyway, in case you want to add a 3.P section:

2 levels of Wyrm Wizard after level 15 should let you Spell Combat with Harm.

1 level of Mage of the Arcane Order gives you Spellpool access to all wizard spells of level 1-3. 4 levels gives you access to all Wizard Spells of level 1-6. Magus 16, MotAO 4 gives up counterstrike, true magus, and the greater spell access in exchange for all wizard spells of level 1-6 on call. Also good for the Eldrich Scion archetype.

Magus 13/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7 can be pretty solid.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm noticing a distinct deficit in wyroot weapons here. Unlimited Arcane Points if you beat up your allies and they pick up fast healing, say from boots of the earth. It's not fast, but you can start each encounter nova ready.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
    Anyway, in case you want to add a 3.P section:
    Yes, I think I should have one of those. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    I'm noticing a distinct deficit in wyroot weapons here.
    Good point. I've added a section on weapons. Also added intro and class roles.