New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Based on my work in the spells section, I've re-categorized all feats, traits, and arcana in the following set of ten categories, and am working on items. My goal is to make it easier for players to find things; for example, if you find your Magus is too squishy, you can simply check the 'defense' category for feats, spells, and so forth, and take a defensive option of your choice; there's no need to search a long alphabetical list for options you may not need at the moment. Of course, the color ranking system is still in place.

Of course, not all categories apply everywhere; e.g. there are no battlefield control traits that I'm aware of. When an option fits in multiple categories, I use the one that it affects most strongly; e.g. Haste does affect your mobility, but its primary goal is to give the whole party an extra attack, so it goes in Offense.

• Battlefield Control - Creating clouds, walls, pits, and other obstacles that shape the battlefield.
    • Blasting - Direct damage effects, anything that goes boom!
    • Debuff - Hindering enemies by inflicting blindness, stun, and assorted nasty penalties and conditions.
    • Defense - Making yourself hard to hit, adding resistances, and otherwise protecting you or your teammates.
    • Metamagic - Improving spells; I'm including any effect here that e.g. increases your caster level.
    • Mobility - Boosting your speed, adding new movement modes, and generally hop around quickly.
    • Offense - Adding bonuses to hit or to damage, generating extra attacks, and generally make it easier to kill enemies.
    • Restoration - Healing, condition removal, and mitigating of nasty effects placed on your party.
    • Skills - Direct boosts to skills, from bonuses, rerolls, or added effects.
    • Toolbox - Any practical effect that doesn't fit in the above categories.

Please give me your feedback on this system. Thanks!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I like it, definitely helps with the organization. Instead of reading through massive lists, you can find what you're looking for much faster.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

You haven't really talked about armor yet. If I may offer a suggestion or two, there's a tactic I haven't been able to use in long-term play, but I think would work. Low levels, when you only have light armor, get yourself some mithral chain shirt. No ACP, and it's a nice +4. Enchant to a +1 restful mithral chain shirt. The enchantment total is expensive at 5500, but it gets you the two-hour sleep benefit of a ring of sustenance without taking up a ring slot. Then, even if you're going for heavier armor, wear the mithral shirt as an undershirt. Saves you having to upgrade twice for getting the enchantment on new sets of armor, and you always have at least a 15 AC when in compromising situations. If you get it glamered on it, it's even more useful.

Also, I'm rather a fan of the Craft Arms and Armor feat. More limited than, say, the Craft Wondrous Item, but better you taking it than a straight caster, since you will most likely be able to directly benefit from it. If I can, I also like to put ranks into craft (weapons) and/or (armor), for the advantage of being able to get exactly what you want, not relying on the GM to allow you to find or buy something. It's easier with the background skill system presented in Unchained, I'll admit.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2015-07-28 at 10:55 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurald, I was planning on doing a Path of War Battlecaster guide as soon as I ironed the kinks out of the class and managed to set up something viable, but here's the major issue: Battlecaster only works when in a Magus X/Battlecaster Y setup. Since you have better mastery over the magus class in general and are planning to have a 3rd party section, would you like to have me dump all of the stuff I've managed to figure out here as a sort of contribution?
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2015-07-29 at 12:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, I think this is finished now. It now includes:
    • Tactics section
    • Variant multiclassing
    • 4/5/6th level blended spells
    • List of weapon enchantments
    • Skill unlocks
    • Sample builds
    • Finished items and consumables section
    • Several more traits, feats, and spells
    • 3.5 prestige classes; I'd be happy to add 3.5 feats and spells if people have good suggestions
    • And probably more stuff that I forgot to mention.

Of course, I need to look at the new Occult book for added options too.

Please give me feedback on the sample builds. Am I overlooking something obvious? These are meant to be playable at a normal level, not fully optimized and maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Always nice to see an new/updated handbook going up! And since you're incorporating Unchained material (e.g VMC) I'd like to recommend that you also include an appendix or section around the Stamina system, and good options for a magus from that standpoint.
    Unlocks and VMC are there. I've looked over the stamina system and didn't found that none of the feats a Magus is likely to take have a noteworthy effect with stamina, except for Imp Initiative at high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
    I am not that familiars with Pathfinder PrCs, but for 3.P games:
    I'm afraid I found the spells on Sandshaper's list not particularly worth the investment, and Sublime Chord has its own spellcasting rather than advancing the Magus's (meaning you can't use it with spell combat).

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneHawk View Post
    I like it, definitely helps with the organization. Instead of reading through massive lists, you can find what you're looking for much faster.
    Thanks. Feel free to use this system for your Trait guide, if you want

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Enchant to a +1 restful mithral chain shirt. The enchantment total is expensive at 5500, but it gets you the two-hour sleep benefit of a ring of sustenance without taking up a ring slot.
    I've added that, thanks. Craft Armor as well. I don't think you can wear two armors on top of each other, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Kurald, I was planning on doing a Path of War Battlecaster guide as soon as I ironed the kinks out of the class and managed to set up something viable, but here's the major issue: Battlecaster only works when in a Magus X/Battlecaster Y setup. Since you have better mastery over the magus class in general and are planning to have a 3rd party section, would you like to have me dump all of the stuff I've managed to figure out here as a sort of contribution?
    Yes, I'd be happy to look over it. I'm not going to include a lot of third party material, but Path of War is probably the most popular non-paizo book so that's viable. Why doesn't the battlecaster work by itself?
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2015-07-31 at 06:56 AM.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hey Kurald, this a really great job you did with this guide.

Now, do you plan to add the 2 new archetypes from occult adventures ?
    • the Esoteric is an unarmed magus : gain the unarmed strike feat and monk damage progression, and can use spellstrike (at lvl 1 !) only with unarmed.
      It still has light armor and its arcane pool can be used (from lvl4 on) indifferently for ki or arcana. Same with an hypothetical Ki pool ...
    • the Mindblade is a Soulknife. Not the one from Dreamscarred Press though. It is not an arcane caster anymore, but a psychic caster (no Dragon Disciple entry ...).
    sans Ordre, rien ne peut exister. sans Chaos, rien ne peut évoluer.
    Nothing can exist without Order. Nothing can evolve without Chaos.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Nice! An updated magus guide.

I may be mistaken but I think after the advance class guide errata, isn't flamboyant arcana and arcane deed kinda bad now?

Also, would it be possible for you to help me with a build? I'm thinking of making a straight magus 20 build with the following archetypes: Hexcrafter/ Kapenia Dancer/ Spell Dancer.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Note: The PrC's name is Bladecaster, and Battlecaster's Strike is the name of one of the class's features, which caused me to mess up in the previous post.
    Oops, looks like I didn't specify that the Bladecaster was a PrC. Simply put, the class doesn't merge well with the six initiators:
    The main two features of the class are the following:
    Battlecaster's Strike: 4th level Bladecaster, upon initiating a strike on a targer, as a swift action cast a melee touch spell on the same enemy, at 9th can also be a ranged touch spell (This works noticeably well with Spellstrike, as it would be obvious)
    Arcane Assault: 10th level, can deliver a strike through any spell that requires an attack roll.
    (There is a third importat feature in the form of a stance, but it's just a meh placeholder until Battlecaster's Strike)
    To begin with, it's pretty obvious how both features work well with Spell Combat and Spellstrike
    For compatibility issues with the base initiators themselves:
    The Improved Counterspell prereq is bad in of itself, since most initiators have counters for spells and anything that requires a saving throw in general, without needing to expend limited resources.
    The Warlord, which is the most damage oriented class of the six, is already starved in terms of swift actions, and to take the four levels of Sorcerer to qualify would take away important class features, as well as slowing their maneuver progression. They would need to take an 8 level dip in Eldritch Scion Magus to make it worth it, but then it would just be better to run fully on Magus, particularly for reasons to be stated in details later.
    The Warder is a defensive class, and an antimagic focus is already provided for in another one of the PrCs, and it's the same for the Zealot.
    The Mystic runs off Wisdom, and the Stalker too except for a single Archetype
    The Harbinger and the Vigilante Stalker, while keying off Int, are noticeably feat starved, esp considering that there is a second prereq in the form of Combat Casting; and both are more or less starved for slots in feats; as well as the Harbinger having much stronger class features and having a high amount of swift action use.
    (Also because all Charisma casters are spontaneous and can't metamagic the Battlecaster's Strike)
    The magus in the meantime can get basically full initiation for a couple martial disciplines, and through Battlecaster's Strike gets a variant of Spell Combat that still allows him a move action during the same turn.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2015-07-31 at 09:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I'm afraid I found the spells on Sandshaper's list not particularly worth the investment...
    For the general Magus I quite agree. The summoning list is sub-par, and the only things you really get that a Magus can't get of his own is the Cat, Bear and Bull spells a level lower than normal. Oh, and hard to resist desiccation damage. Its not generally worth a level for the general Magus, whose spell learning method makes aquiring such things easy.

It can, however, be worth it for the Eldrich Scion, with its tight spells known. Getting summons, buffs, damage, dispel magic, save-or-suck, battlefield control etc in a package can give a lot of freedom for later spell picks.

... and Sublime Chord has its own spellcasting rather than advancing the Magus's (meaning you can't use it with spell combat).
    You use a feat on Extra Arcana, selecting Broad Study. That lets you spell combat and spellstrike with spells up to level 9.

Once again, this may mesh better with the Eldrich Scion archetype. The Sublime Chord is a Cha-based caster, and so the ES reduceds MAD a bit.

You can also use the Eldrich Heritage feat chain selecting Mongrel Mage to basically add any 1-3 Sorcerer/Wizard spells to your list of spells known as a swift action.

10. - Top - End - #100

Planetar

In addition to the two archetypes (in my opinion the Mindblade requires a LOT of thought since it gets a decent amount of psychic spells), there are seven native magus spells in Occult Adventures:

2- Anticipate Thoughts (get insight bonus to AC, and if the target saves you get attack bonus, and whenever target misses the bonus goes up. An actual dueling spell!), Ghost Whip (summons a whip you are considered proficient in, and can deal damage to incorporeal and undead creatures)
    3- Ectoplasmic Snare (can grapple creatures, including incorporeal creatures)
    4- Ethereal Fists (give unarmed strikes/natural attacks ghost touch), Telekinetic Maneuver (like telekinesis but only for manuevers)
    5- Parchment Swarm (d6/level slashing damage against a creatures, plus can shred a scroll and possibly deal the scroll's effect to target, and also make the spell 20-foot radius)
    6- Explode Head (instantly kill a target below 20 hp, d6/level untyped damage for a save on targets with greater that 20 hp. I love this spell unabashedly, but it fits a similar niche to disintegrate)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talieth View Post
    Hey Kurald, this a really great job you did with this guide.

Now, do you plan to add the 2 new archetypes from occult adventures ?
    Thanks! And yes, I'll add those as soon as I have a chance to read the book. That goes for the spells Ninja mentions as well.

Note: The PrC's name is Bladecaster, and Battlecaster's Strike is the name of one of the class's features, which caused me to mess up in the previous post.
    Thanks, I'll need to do some reading on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
    You use a feat on Extra Arcana, selecting Broad Study. That lets you spell combat and spellstrike with spells up to level 9.
    Fair point, this goes on the list.

You can also use the Eldrich Heritage feat chain selecting Mongrel Mage to basically add any 1-3 Sorcerer/Wizard spells to your list of spells known as a swift action.
    I believe that the EH feat requires a bloodline, and mongrel mage is an archetype instead, so I'm not sure how that would work. But I'll add it for the Arcane bloodline.

Quote Originally Posted by Shouryuu View Post
    I may be mistaken but I think after the advance class guide errata, isn't flamboyant arcana and arcane deed kinda bad now?
    Good point. Well, Flamboyant is still pretty much the only way to get parry & riposte if you're not a swashy, but Precise Strike is down.
    I've also removed Slashing Grace, and replaced Kukri by Terbutje.

Also, would it be possible for you to help me with a build? I'm thinking of making a straight magus 20 build with the following archetypes: Hexcrafter/ Kapenia Dancer/ Spell Dancer.
    Here you go for the Hexcrafter, and you can simply add Spell Dancer to that. I would avoid Bladed Scarf Dancer, as diminished spellcasting hurts, and the arcana it gives you are rather lacklustre.
    Spoiler: Ilyara Bladesong, Maneuver Magus
    Show
    Str 8, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 8. Increase dexterity every 4th level.
    Archetype: Hexcrafter
    Race: Elf
    Racial abilities: +2 vs spell resistance, +2 concentration, +2 perception
    Racial class bonus: Extra hit points.
    Skills: Perform 2, Knowledges / UMD 1, Escape Artist / Fly / Intimidate / Perception / Stealth maxed.
    Traits: Bred for War, Reactionary.

Tactics: The Magus is one of the best classes in the game at using maneuvers. You'll be hitting high CMD values using True Strike, and use your various defensive buffs to avoid the OAs. In addition, this build has several good debuffs available, and can use Unseen Servant to pick up disarmed weapons.
    At level one, use your high initiative to attack flat-footed opponents with dirty trick or steal, or use the Daze cantrip to prevent them from acting, then disarm or trip them. At level three, you get your dexterity to damage for regular attacks, and can start using a wand of True Strike in spell combat so that your maneuvers will almost always connect. Use stealth, Vanish or Mirror Image to stop enemy opportunity attacks, or counter them with the flamboyant Parry and Riposte ability, or even do it from range with Pilfering Hand. At level five, you get consistent flight with the hex, and your debuffs start coming online: cast Frostbite and for one attack per level you get to fatigue, entangle, and shake enemies at the same time; and level seven adds misfortune as a ranged debuff.
    By level nine you can haste yourself at need, and often do maneuvers without taking an OA by using Lunge; next level, you can use Greater Invisibility for this as well. You can use Bladed Dash to quickly reach a disabled or flat-footed enemy to make multiple maneuvers or attacks, and by level eleven gives you can do this at huge range with Dimension Door. The later levels add further bonuses to trip and disarm so you can try it on your iterative attacks, especially when your enemy is already disabled somehow; you also gain major and grand hexes, and a death attack ability.
    All in all, a build that can act fast to strip the enemy of offensive capabilities, then vanish or teleport to reposition and do it all again.

Arcana
    • 3.Wand Wielder
    • 4.Hex: Flight (archetype)
    • 6.Flamboyant Arcana
    • 7.Hex: Misfortune (feat)
    • 9.Hasted Assault
    • 12.Major Hex: Agony
    • 13.Maneuver Mastery: Trip (feat)
    • 15.Maneuver Mastery: Disarm; Reflection (feat)
    • 17.Quickened Magic (feat)
    • 18.Grand Hex: Death Curse
    • 19.Arcane Deed: Deadly Stab (feat)

Feats
    • 1.Weapon Finesse
    • 3.Dervish Dance
    • 5.Enforcer; Rime Spell
    • 7.Extra Arcana
    • 9.Lunge
    • 11.Dimensional Agility; Improved Initiative
    • 13.Extra Arcana
    • 15.Extra Arcana
    • 17.Divine Defiance; Extra Arcana
    • 19.Extra Arcana

Spells Prepared
    • 0.Brand, Daze, Mage Hand
    • 1.Frostbite, Snowball, True Strike, Vanish
    • 2.Bladed Dash, Mirror Image, Pilfering Hand, Rime Spell Frostbite
    • 3.Dispel Magic, Displacement, Greater Magic Weapon, Storm Step
    • 4.Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Shield of Dawn
    • 5.Dimensional Blade, Greater Bladed Dash, Wall of Force
    • 6.Greater Dispel Magic, True Seeing

Equipment
    • Katana +1 of Dueling, Spell Storing, and Keen
    • Celestial Armor of Spell Storing
    • Standard AC gear, Belt of Dexterity, Headband of Int, Pearls of Power
    • Buffering Cap
    • Cracked Opalescent White Pyramid Ioun Stone
    • Feather Step Slippers
    • Gloves of Marking
    • Maiden's Helm
    • Wands of True Strike in spring sheath; Blade Tutor's Spirit, and Unseen Servant
    • Myrrh

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to the two archetypes (in my opinion the Mindblade requires a LOT of thought since it gets a decent amount of psychic spells), there are seven native magus spells in Occult Adventures:
    I'll have to look into those archetypes in further detail.

Regarding the spells:
    • Anticipate Thoughts is a good buff.
    • Ghost Whip is basically the same as River Whip
    • Ecto Snare and TK Maneuver have the problem that they require concentration, which precludes further spellcasting. That makes them impractical for a Magus.
    • Ethereal Fists is situationally rare enough that this isn’t worth memorizing unless you're expecting ghosts.
    • Explode Head is hilarious but Disintegrate is simply better
    • Parchment Swarm depends on your reading. If you read it that a 2nd or higher level scroll only increases the area, then the spell is no good. If you read that a 2nd level scroll gets its effects applied to every target in the larger area, then the spell is brokenly good. We'll probably get errata on that.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

[*]Parchment Swarm depends on your reading. If you read it that a 2nd or higher level scroll only increases the area, then the spell is no good. If you read that a 2nd level scroll gets its effects applied to every target in the larger area, then the spell is brokenly good. We'll probably get errata on that.[/list]
    The inbetween reading, that you either choose area damage or the 2nd level or higher applied to one target, still makes it useful but not broken.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slithery D View Post
    The inbetween reading, that you either choose area damage or the 2nd level or higher applied to one target, still makes it useful but not broken.
    Parchment Swarm states, "If the spell is 1st level, you can choose to apply the effect of that spell to the parchment swarm’s target on a failed Reflex save."

I don't see how this can be interpreted as applying higher level spells to the victim of the swarm. Changing this to red, although I hope this gets errata.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

I concur that this is a good pick for the Magus; added to the list.

Also added Mindblade (green for now, although its two-weapon ability is ambiguously worded) and Esoteric (doesn't really do much since a regular Magus can already spell combat with unarmed strikes). And some items from the new Psychic Adventures book.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2015-08-11 at 07:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

Planetar

I'd rate Esoteric a bit higher. I think it accomplishes what it goes for, an unarmed magus, competently. It gets all it needs with the AC bonus and damage scaling, but I think the cherry is Ki Arcana. That opens up so many new options; the last time I saw something like that, it was a mythic ability. Sure, it's not going to be as optimized as a standard crit-fishing magus, but unarmed builds rarely are. Better someone goes Esoteric then tries to halfass a normal magus into unarmed.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

I'd rate Esoteric a bit higher. I think it accomplishes what it goes for, an unarmed magus, competently. It gets all it needs with the AC bonus and damage scaling, but I think the cherry is Ki Arcana. That opens up so many new options; the last time I saw something like that, it was a mythic ability. Sure, it's not going to be as optimized as a standard crit-fishing magus, but unarmed builds rarely are.
    Could you explain this some more? Maybe I'm overlooking something, but it seems to me that the esoteric doesn't have any native ki abilities. So what options does that open, or did you mean for him to take a few monk levels?

18. - Top - End - #108

Planetar

It opens up stuff like chakras, magic items, and I'm sure other stuff. Also if for some reason you do multiclass, it's really good. As it stands it's okay. I do know there are a lot more ways to recover Ki, though.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also the stamina option for Kirin Style would be perfect for the Esoteric since it gives you all day Int to damage.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Couple of multiclassing comments:

Crossblooded sorcerers get a -2 to Will saves right off the bat. That is something to be aware of.

Inspired Blade Swashbucklers are an intriguing option. They get Weapon Focus and Weapon Finesse with Rapiers at level one, so they can take Fencing Grace immediately. Their panache pool is determined by their Charisma and their Intelligence, so they'll likely get a decent amount.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi Kurald, thanks for the suggestion. I modified it again and again as well as referring to your other sample builds to fit the concept of what I had in mind and this is what I ended up with.

Spoiler
    Show

Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10. Increase intelligence every 4th level.
    Archetype: Hexcrafter, Spell Dancer, Kapenia Dancer
    Race: Elf
    Racial abilities: +2 vs spell resistance, +2 concentration, +2 perception
    Racial class bonus: Extra 1/6 new magus arcana
    Traits: Elven Reflexes, Magical Lineage (Frostbite)

Tactics:
    The idea behind this build is strike first, strike hard and leave chaos amongst the enemy.

Arcana
    3.Familiar
    4.Hex: Flight (archetype)
    6.Natural Spell Combat, Hex: Prehensile Hair (Fcb)
    9.Slumber
    12.Major Hex: Ice Tomb, Retribution (Fcb)
    15.Major Hex: Agony
    18.Grand Hex: Summon Spirit, Death Curse(Fcb)

Feats
    1.Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus: Bladed Scarf (archetype)
    3.Slashing Grace
    5.Rime Spell
    7.Amatuer Investigator
    9.Dimensional Agility
    11.Studied Combatant, Combat Reflexes
    13.Improved Studied Combatant
    15.Improved Familiar
    17.Weapon Specialization
    19.Spell Blending

I'm hoping for some advice for improvement since this build is kinda all over the place.

Also, I have another question regarding the eldritch scion sample build. How do you use spell strike and spell combat together without the use of spontaneous metafocus feat to bypass the full round casting time of a metamagiced spell of a spontaneous caster?
    Last edited by Shouryuu; 2015-08-15 at 04:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Natural alchemist is on the list now (which is surprisingly good), as is blade adept (which is not so much).

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    Also the stamina option for Kirin Style would be perfect for the Esoteric since it gives you all day Int to damage.
    It's not all day though, it takes a swift action per target, after a swift action to activate the stance, after a swift action to (presumably) enchant your weapon. Overall you'd be better off taking Weapon Spec (which already isn't such a great feat for a Magus).

Quote Originally Posted by AZGrowler View Post
    Crossblooded sorcerers get a -2 to Will saves right off the bat. That is something to be aware of.

Inspired Blade Swashbucklers are an intriguing option. They get Weapon Focus and Weapon Finesse with Rapiers at level one, so they can take Fencing Grace immediately. Their panache pool is determined by their Charisma and their Intelligence, so they'll likely get a decent amount.
    Interesting. Added now. The Swashbuckler is good at low levels, less so at high, since it basically gives you three feats (focus,finesse,riposte) and at higher levels you have plenty of those.

Also, I have another question regarding the eldritch scion sample build. How do you use spell strike and spell combat together without the use of spontaneous metafocus feat to bypass the full round casting time of a metamagiced spell of a spontaneous caster?
    Spell Perfection. That said, I should make that clearer.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

I notice there's no mention of Gnome Magi, which confuses me, as they have one of the best Favored Class Bonuses for Magi: They add weapon specials to the list that they can enchant their weapon with. They can add Corrosive, Defending, Menacing, Merciful and Vicious (!!!) to your list, as well as get Ghost Touch way before Ghost Blade becomes available if you care about that thing, all without forcing you into an archetype. Consider the Gnome Magi with a Vicious Keen Merciful weapon and you see the possibilities.

I also find the lack of mention for Falcatas disappointing, particularly in the hands of a Kensai, as when Keened and Perfect Striked it can have a crit range of 17-20/x4, which does disturbing things with a Shocking Grasp or Snow Ball.

Of lesser note would be Aldori Dueling Swords with Kensai for getting to Aldori Dueling Mastery particularly early for a shield and initiative bonus, as well as what should be compatibility with Flamboyant/Arcane Deed.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spells use the crit range of the weapon, but not the multiplier. They always use x2 regardless.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneHawk View Post
    Spells use the crit range of the weapon, but not the multiplier. They always use x2 regardless.
    Perhaps not as valuable but it's one of the only crit multiplier increases in the game currently. The spell may only double but it's still of value to a Strength Magi in making sure someone dies. Still niche, I admit, but worth noting.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Spell Perfection. That said, I should make that clearer.

Okay, correct me if I'm understanding this wrong but we have to wait till character level 15 before being able to spell strike+spell combat with an Intensified Shocking Grasp? Isn't that kinda late in the game for when other magi have been doing that since character level 2?

I'm sorry but could you explain your reasoning for waiting as I don't understand why your build waits till so long for this. Is this due to the focus on maneuvers?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the earlier discussion about unarmed Magus, it strikes me that a Hexcrafter with the Hex Strike feat would be a better pick than the Esoteric archetype. That's interesting since Hex Strike is not particularly good for most witch builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I notice there's no mention of Gnome Magi, which confuses me, as they have one of the best Favored Class Bonuses for Magi: They add weapon specials to the list that they can enchant their weapon with. They can add Corrosive, Defending, Menacing, Merciful and Vicious (!!!) to your list, as well as get Ghost Touch way before Ghost Blade becomes available if you care about that thing, all without forcing you into an archetype. Consider the Gnome Magi with a Vicious Keen Merciful weapon and you see the possibilities.
    Well, the gnome is not a very good fit for the Magus, considering how it's a small race with no bonus to dex or int. More to the point, while I love the flavor of the gnome adding all kinds of weird stuff to his weapon, the extra abilities just aren't very good. Corrosive is basically the same as shocking/freezing. Merciful and Ghost Touch aren't particularly needed on a Magus, because they have spells to deal with that kind of situation. Vicious strikes me as a good way of getting yourself killed (taking up to 24 damage extra damage per round is problematic), and note that the extra damage isn't multiplied on a crit, so it doesn't work well with keen.

I also find the lack of mention for Falcatas disappointing,
    As Hawk points out, spellstrike doesn't use the weapon's crit modifier. Aside from that, note that perfect strike doesn't apply to spell damage.

Of lesser note would be Aldori Dueling Swords with Kensai for getting to Aldori Dueling Mastery particularly early for a shield and initiative bonus, as well as what should be compatibility with Flamboyant/Arcane Deed.
    Unfortunately, Arcane Deed has been errata'ed and no longer works well for the Magus. Given that ADM has Quickdraw as a prereq, I don't think it's really worth the investment any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Perhaps not as valuable but it's one of the only crit multiplier increases in the game currently. The spell may only double but it's still of value to a Strength Magi in making sure someone dies. Still niche, I admit, but worth noting.
    Well, the thing is that a 30% crit range at x2 is better at making sure someone dies than a 20% crit range at x3 for the weapon damage, x2 for the spell.

I'm sorry but could you explain your reasoning for waiting as I don't understand why your build waits till so long for this. Is this due to the focus on maneuvers?
    The Magus is a very versatile class. So whereas one of the three sample builds I've posted relies on doing intensified shocking grasps early on, the other two do not. The point is to show that you can make an entirely viable Magus without using that spell at all.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2015-08-19 at 03:46 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Regarding the earlier discussion about unarmed Magus, it strikes me that a Hexcrafter with the Hex Strike feat would be a better pick than the Esoteric archetype. That's interesting since Hex Strike is not particularly good for most witch builds.
    Doesn't Hex Strike require the hex class feature which only witches and shamans have? As I recall, hexcrafters get hex magus which is different.

The Magus is a very versatile class. So whereas one of the three sample builds I've posted relies on doing intensified shocking grasps early on, the other two do not. The point is to show that you can make an entirely viable Magus without using that spell at all.
    I see. Thank you for the explanation although I was more after the reason for delaying the spell strike + spell combat combo which most magi tend to optimize towards.
    Last edited by Shouryuu; 2015-08-20 at 11:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't Hex Strike require the hex class feature which only witches and shamans have? As I recall, hexcrafters get hex magus which is different.
    According to this post by SKR, yes it counts.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground