New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default An world of intellectual supremecy:Need ideas and advice

My world called Frostsoil, is a huge united continent. Its inhabitants zealous desire is that a tradition of valuing intellectuality, Education and wisdom is preserved.

Wisdom is considered the greatest virtue and the realm is governed by a intellectual elite who in turn a led by three great archmages called The Great Messiahs, considered demi-gods.

What I want is advice on traditions and culture tjat could be present in such a world. Graduation is the most celebrated event or that food is made by magic instead of harvested.

One particular questioned I want answered is what cosmetic could the intellectuals wear to siginfy status. GRRM and ASOIAF has this great system of maesters gettinng chans with links in different metals to siginfy study in a particular field. I would like something similar.

All general thoughts are welcome!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: An world of intellectual supremecy:Need ideas and advice

If it truly favors education and intellect instead of the parroting of what's been taught before, the culture will advance alarmingly rapidly in technology and knowledge of the world. Make sure that you don't throw large temporal scales around off-hand, because (a) those scales are often too big for a "normal" culture anyway and (b) they would be especially inappropriate for this. Discovery causes rapid change.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: An world of intellectual supremecy:Need ideas and advice

While i agree with VoxRationis, if you wanted culture tips each person before graduating would have to come up with an innovation. Something that is new or improves how things work.

This setting could work really well for a secret cult trying to keep their knowledge secret...
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...6&postcount=76

Please see a valid explanation of PF Tier List