New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I(.3)

...You know, it's still not too late. The threads are here, ready and waiting. A game only dies when people allow it to do so: A principle that has kept RailiTP going for around three years (and counting). Whenever it 'dies', that rumour turns out to have been greatly exaggerated. Sooner or later someone comes along and says 'Hey, remember that FFRP with the teenage psychics, evil scientists and ancient magic? Let's do that again'. The threads get posted, and they attract players both old and new. Sometimes it's a swarm of activity; Sometimes a trickle. But either way, the game continues.

Maybe this is the last cycle. Maybe this time, the game won't create enough nostalgia to fuel another revival. If so, then fair enough. It had a good run.

...But you know, it's still not too late.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

alright, so. I need assistance on choosing a power. I'm thinking of magma control, superheating rock and shaping it to form objects. sound good?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    alright, so. I need assistance on choosing a power. I'm thinking of magma control, superheating rock and shaping it to form objects. sound good?
    Are you sure you want to choose such a lethal power? IIRC, magma is hot enough to kill humans through proximity alone. The more of an 'instakill' something is, the less opportunities you'll have to use it. Most players are happy to let their characters take a few hits in combat; But when the choice is between 'your attack totally misses', and 'your attack kills me', then that's no choice at all. It's one of the paradoxes of freeform roleplay: Any attack which is guaranteed to kill (or permanently cripple) a PC will almost always fail.

So if you're just planning to cook random NPCs (or uninhabited areas), then by all means go ahead. But if you're planning on fighting other players, then I'd recommend choosing something with more wiggle room.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Are you sure you want to choose such a lethal power? IIRC, magma is hot enough to kill humans through proximity alone. The more of an 'instakill' something is, the less opportunities you'll have to use it. Most players are happy to let their characters take a few hits in combat; But when the choice is between 'your attack totally misses', and 'your attack kills me', then that's no choice at all. It's one of the paradoxes of freeform roleplay: Any attack which is guaranteed to kill (or permanently cripple) a PC will almost always fail.

So if you're just planning to cook random NPCs (or uninhabited areas), then by all means go ahead. But if you're planning on fighting other players, then I'd recommend choosing something with more wiggle room.
    hmm... that is a problem of course. maybe extend it to earth control? She manipulates it as lava mainly to intimidate and threaten, and to do things such as cutting through stuff.

Think that could work?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

hmm... that is a problem of course. maybe extend it to earth control? She manipulates it as lava mainly to intimidate and threaten, and to do things such as cutting through stuff.

Think that could work?
    Yes, it could. The key is to give your opponents room to manoeuvre. So long as you don't toy with them too much (as in 'fool, I'm only using 2% of my full power!'), people will often be fine with it. It also helps to have a strong underlying reason for your character to hold back: Sacred oath, massive energy cost, dangerous to yourself, etc. That way, you don't need to keep coming up with new excuses to fit each situation.

6. - Top - End - #36

Yes, it could. The key is to give your opponents room to manoeuvre. So long as you don't toy with them too much (as in 'fool, I'm only using 2% of my full power!'), people will often be fine with it. It also helps to have a strong underlying reason for your character to hold back: Sacred oath, massive energy cost, dangerous to yourself, etc. That way, you don't need to keep coming up with new excuses to fit each situation.
    "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!"
    I'm thinking that she doesn't really want to hurt and/or kill people. I mean, come on, she's a teen (and not a child soldier or whatever), she's not exactly battle-hardened and jaded to death, y'know?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh, hey, the Railgun FFRP is back. Watched the anime a while ago, then vaguely remembered having noticed something about it in the FFRP central. Cool to see it's been revived!

Anyway, do we have any gravity manipulators currently? I saw there was one on the wiki, but apparently that's severely outdated. Thinking of making a character with either that or a teleportation power of some sort.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiriah View Post
    Oh, hey, the Railgun FFRP is back. Watched the anime a while ago, then vaguely remembered having noticed something about it in the FFRP central. Cool to see it's been revived!
    Greetings and welcome. It's nice to see some fresh interest.

Anyway, do we have any gravity manipulators currently? I saw there was one on the wiki, but apparently that's severely outdated. Thinking of making a character with either that or a teleportation power of some sort.
    No, we dont. Both powers are there for the taking, if you so desire. And yes, the wiki is just a historical curiosity these days. Nobody really uses it any more.

9. - Top - End - #39

Hey guys, my posting will be rather limited from the 17th to 29th due to vacation. hope that won't be too deadly to the RP, and i'll do my best to post here-
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Good to be back, especially now that I have a laptop again. Which means I can now post frequently and with consistency once more.
    OMGIT'SYOU! It's been SO long since we RPed together! how's life?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Stuck on a PS3 or I'd have Akane up. Meanwhile... Carry on, everyone!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sorry for delaying in posting, but I've got a metric-crapton of things going on as I prepare for vacation. I'll try to get something posted soon, although I can't really promise anything until the weekend at the earliest.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey guys, my posting will be rather limited from the 17th to 29th due to vacation. hope that won't be too deadly to the RP, and i'll do my best to post here-

OMGIT'SYOU! It's been SO long since we RPed together! how's life?
    Heya Ark. Life is pretty ok for me. I'm still getting used to having a laptop again. Sometimes I just forget it's there or what all I have to check up on. But I've updated it to have all my bookmarks so I can access my stuff easier. Also I've started to take up writing fanfiction again. However most of the times I have a near perpetual case of Writers Lazyness. Where I have stuff in my head, I know how I want to implement it, and I know how I want it to follow through...and then I get to the point where I think about how many words I would have to type for it and I'm like, 'Eh, effort.'

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Heya Ark. Life is pretty ok for me. I'm still getting used to having a laptop again. Sometimes I just forget it's there or what all I have to check up on. But I've updated it to have all my bookmarks so I can access my stuff easier. Also I've started to take up writing fanfiction again. However most of the times I have a near perpetual case of Writers Lazyness. Where I have stuff in my head, I know how I want to implement it, and I know how I want it to follow through...and then I get to the point where I think about how many words I would have to type for it and I'm like, 'Eh, effort.'
    heh. if it helps, im an artist who procrastinates at drawing sometimes :P
    hopefully we'll end up RPing together again!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #44

also, ive posted my Character Sheet!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...32&postcount=7
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to give this a little poke to see what's up for people and who's still about, since we had a lot of people who went on vacation and are back now?

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Going to give this a little poke to see what's up for people and who's still about, since we had a lot of people who went on vacation and are back now?
    im up to Rp still, your turn iirc
    also, pm box. you know exactly what i mean
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

im up to Rp still, your turn iirc
    also, pm box. you know exactly what i mean
    It's also your turn.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    It's also your turn.
    really? dang, I swore I replied XD
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Admittedly, I've had a bit of trouble coming up with a response on my end, but I'll try to get something posted in the next day or so.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Great, now I feel terrible. After so many weeks with no activity, I assumed that the game had completely died, and stopped checking the threads. Serves me right for giving up too soon. For what it's worth, I've (finally) posted my reply to Eli. Deepest apologies.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

It's been... A while. But I think there's life left yet. Especially as I've decided to include some plot hooks with my character, now I'm finally making her. On a related note, the WIP in the registry is not her as she is now. That's more some background on her and the Dark Side project she was part of.

Speaking of which! I feel I should officially announce the existence of a character registry in case this gets new people to join. Which I hope it will, as at present, Rail is a bit fragile; even if everyone is still here, we only have six or so people, which means one person having things come up can kill everything.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello, I'm showing slight interest in this game. (Though I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping up with the threads I already have, so I'll have to wait until something ends before I show too much of an interest.)

By which I mean, is this a good time to look around and get involved?
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2015-10-06 at 09:56 PM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Certainly! I'm actually hoping to get more people for it. It's likely to be slow at the moment, though, until things pick up again.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Fresh interest is definitely welcome. The existing players are mostly in hibernation right now. A new character or two will hopefully get things moving again.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Precisely! I know Morcleon is still technically around, which will help, eventually - but at present they're going through midterms. And certainly having things going on that people can jump in on again, whether new or returning, will only help.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

So, a few things have conspired to prevent me from posting Akane yet. Most notably, needing to rework what I had in mind for her abilities. She's still definitely in the works, though, and I do have another person I can use for now; that said, is there anything going on IC that could be jumped in on, or would I need to start something for that?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    ...that said, is there anything going on IC that could be jumped in on, or would I need to start something for that?
    Just a few light conversations. A new scene would be most welcome.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a few light conversations. A new scene would be most welcome.
    Right then. Akane should be finished shortly, and I'll drop her in somewhere. And most likely do some sort of odd plot thing separately as well. I think I'll start a new day when I do; that way, things won't be complicated by everyone being occupied, but existing scenes can wrap up.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

This looks like fun, especially since it's barely started, so I can get in on the ground floor. Throwing my interest into the ring. I haven't got around to watching To Aru yet, though, so I might be a bit sketchy on some details until I do.

Should have a character up either tonight or tomorrow.

Also, hello and nice to meet you! While, I'm new to GitP, I'm certainly not so to freeform or PbP in general - in fact, I've been doing this for years. So don't feel the need to be gentle with me if I mess something up .
    Last edited by Rokoran; 2015-10-31 at 06:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I've somehow ended up running this and I've never watched it. So you should be fine. Welcome aboard!