New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XXXIIII: My god, it's full of refunds!

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    I just hate that Steam doesn't email me if a wishlist game is part of the sale, and I don't know it's happening. I don't check the store very often, so I might miss one.
    I actually got an e-mail this sale for the games on my wishlist.

I ended up buying a good number. Darkest Dungeon, Banished, Civ 5, Kingdom, Half-Life, and One Finger Death Punch.

Kingdom is a neat little game. A sidescroller with only three buttons: left, right, and down (the "interact" button). You have to run around as the king or queen and order everything to get done, and you also have to spend gold to do so, so it's got both time and resource management, but it's not very difficult at either. There's only one resource (gold), and while it has elements of RTS, it's hardly a true RTS action-wise. Once you figure out a build order after a couple failed attempts, executing it requires you to pay attention but doesn't require any real skill beyond that. Basically, you have to build stuff and equip archers I almost beat it! I ended up getting too close to a battle and lost the crown! If I want to actually beat it, I'll have to retread the exact same steps up to that point. And that takes hours.

While it's not really more than a flash game mechanically, the pixel art is beautiful (ignore the black bars, that's just my monitor).
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2016-01-01 at 02:43 AM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Heck, a game that was actually ON my wishlist was on sale, and they didn't put it on my recommended games list anywhere!
    I've never had a problem with that, because you can just go to your wishlist and see things there. Valve should put more effort into optimizing their recommendations system though. Luckily, it's no longer an issue for me.

... Then again, it might be for those that are actually nice to others and buy games as gifts, but come on, who's really that generous? Everyone but me? Oh well. I just hate that Steam doesn't email me if a wishlist game is part of the sale, and I don't know it's happening. I don't check the store very often, so I might miss one.
    There are quite a few places on the internet where people gift each other games, especially around Christmastime. GOG's community is especially crazy about it, though they will of course gift games more often from GOG itself (or Steam games from bundles).

If a game on your wishlist is on sale, you should be getting an email. As in, that's how the system works, so there might be something wrong here that you might want to contact Steam's support for.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's http://www.steamgifts.com/ , too.

In non-sale Steam news, because the sale on it ended already - Total Annihilation, the best RTS since 1997, is now available on Steam courtesy of Wargaming.net. I'm told it's essentially the same as the GOG.com release, but I haven't tried that, so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that it works flawlessly on my Windows 8 tablet, everything from 1920x1080 resolution to the music track selector that could only be improved by having fade-in instead of sharp cuts. I've played Supreme Commander, I've played various versions based on the Spring engine, and good old TA somehow still delivers the most fun out of all of them.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Spamalot in the Playground

I just hate that Steam doesn't email me if a wishlist game is part of the sale, and I don't know it's happening.
    It does for me, but often the sale only lasts a few hours. So, if I don't check my messages daily, I can miss them. It's alright though, I pretty much exhausted my gift money now so I can't be buying anything until my birthday. Gives me time to finally finish these other games sitting pretty in my library that haven't been touched.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #125

Huh. Well, I guess I'll have to contact Steam support at some point. I wonder why it works for regular sales, but not the big ones. Doesn't seem like it should do that.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Just give me a damn shorthand list, Steam. I'm far more likely to find a game I want if they're all compressed onto a list that I can quickly peruse it.
    For me, the link to the search-by-tag/category/price/etc. catalog is about 3/4 of the way down a fresh reload of the store page. Sounds like what you're looking for ...
    Spoiler: Store page layout
    Show
    - Links bar and Steam Winter Sale header
    - Tiles for the 9 "Featured Deals"
    - Link to Discovery Queue
    - Tiles for 15 "Highlighted Deals"
    - "10XXX titles on sale," link to the catalog (on the right)
    - Tiles for 4 games from wishlist
    - Tabs for top 16 New/Popular/Upcoming/Under $10/Under $5
    - Ad for Steam Hardware
    - Infinite wall of tiles
    You're right, though, that that link should be easier to find or made an option to be your default front-page view. C'mon, Valve, not everyone likes the "Windows 10 Start Menu" look.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I got a few (3) games off of Steam sales. One was Aperture Tag. It didn't work. This is the second game I've got recently that begins to launch then crashes. I refunded the game successfully, but does anyone know why games that should be working aren't?
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    I got a few (3) games off of Steam sales. One was Aperture Tag. It didn't work. This is the second game I've got recently that begins to launch then crashes. I refunded the game successfully, but does anyone know why games that should be working aren't?
    Who says they should work? Steam doesn't require a product to work before selling it.

Although in this case, you didn't buy a game, but a mod to a game. So there is a thousand and one reasons why it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2016-01-02 at 12:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Who says they should work? Steam doesn't require your product to work in order to sell it.

Although in this case, you didn't buy a game, but a mod to a game. So there is a thousand and one reasons why it doesn't work.
    Steam does, after all, reserve the right to take away any of your games at any time. The mod clearly worked fine for other people judging by good reviews. Also, the same thing happened with magic circle. Same with Cave Story +, which has worked on one out of three computers I have tried it on.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

So I know we just kinda rag on Steam now due to how awful it is, but how 'bout them games, huh? I sure do like 'em.

Anyone else playing Armello? I'm really enjoying it and it scratches that "Board-Game-Itch" quite satisfactorily. It has some win condition balance issues though. There's 4 ways to win and one of them is almost impossible (I've only managed to pull it off once in 40+ plus games).
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Last Steam game I played for the first time was Trials Fusion, so I guess I can talk about that.

Physics games are hard. But this game is still pretty fun. Some problems I have with it though. No bike upgrades. Everything is aesthetic. And a lot of it requires real money to purchase. Which also means the specific challenges in each stage are meaningless if you don't care about what your bike looks like.

Some stages are impossible to complete without a specific bike. I found one I couldn't do until I switched to the ATV.

If there was more incentive to try, outside of getting enough medals to continue, and a way to customize your bike's stats, it would be so much more fun. I haven't tried any user-created tracks yet, but I imagine that adds a lot more gametime.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Picked up Dying Light from the sale. It makes you work for it in the beginning, but it is amazing. Story is pretty generic, but gameplay is smooth, and lets you do some pretty cool things.

One of my favorites is still chucking a knife at an enemy's head, then while they're staggering, dropkicking them to the ground, pulling the knife out, and finishing them. I don't care how many times I do it, it still feels badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Good luck doing that when you've gained a few levels and the regular enemies become that much more powerful...

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Just finished A Story About My Uncle. Pretty game. Sometimes very frustrating. But the grappling puzzle platforming felt very well done and original.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2016-01-03 at 11:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Good luck doing that when you've gained a few levels and the regular enemies become that much more powerful...
    I'm already at that point. Survivor level... 16? 17? It's why I'm so thorough. Been interrupted way too many times picking into police vans.

I mean, my customized machete has a >50% chance of decapitating an average biter, but I want to save it for big enemies. Even with all the various skills to extend weapon life, it's easy to burn through one real quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

STEAM SALE CARD TRADING TIME!

# Card Have? Spare?
    1 Santa's Workshop YES
    2 Zippy's Demise YES YES
    3 Holly YES YES
    4 Twinkle YES
    5 The Black Ice Boys Need
    6 Sending a Message YES YES
    7 Taffy Need
    8 You Better Watch Out YES YES
    9 You Better Not Cry YES YES
    10 Guess Who's Coming to Town YES
    11 Redemption YES

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

17. - Top - End - #137

RedWizardGuy

Picked up Killing Floor 2 with my Christmas gift card after giving it a whirl during their last free weekend. Having a blast, and so far the pubs aren't too bad--although I do hate it when my team keeps running off to the far end of the map while I'm staring at the pod deciding what to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Good day,

I was hoping I could get some help with a prospective purchase I'm considering. I am interested in the XCOM 2 digital package pre-purchase, priced $75. I have enough gift cards for GameStop that I will be able to purchase it for about $10. However, I am having trouble pre-paying for it with the many gift cards (the order goes through, but it seems to only include the credit card I would like to use only for the final $10).

So, my question to people more familiar with Steam/Firaxis is: is it likely the digital package will change prices or go away entirely if I wait until release day? Or is it likely to stay around at the same price point? I am not sure if this is a pre-purchase special price, or just an example of this "season pass" concept I've been hearing about.

Alternatively, should I bite the bullet and go to a physical location? (In my current case, that might involve crossing international boundaries, so I'd rather not)

Thank you,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like it's just the game + all planned DLC for less than those things sold separately (plus the soundtrack which doesn't seem to be offered otherwise). So if you were planning on getting all the DLC, it's definitely a better way to go than buying a la carte.

I don't think "Digital Deluxe Editions" usually go away after launch. It probably also won't change price. But as I do not have an inside line to the Firaxis marketing department, this is all really just conjecture based on past trends. So I'm probably right, but I make no promises.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Good day,

I was hoping I could get some help with a prospective purchase I'm considering. I am interested in the XCOM 2 digital package pre-purchase, priced $75. I have enough gift cards for GameStop that I will be able to purchase it for about $10. However, I am having trouble pre-paying for it with the many gift cards (the order goes through, but it seems to only include the credit card I would like to use only for the final $10).

So, my question to people more familiar with Steam/Firaxis is: is it likely the digital package will change prices or go away entirely if I wait until release day? Or is it likely to stay around at the same price point? I am not sure if this is a pre-purchase special price, or just an example of this "season pass" concept I've been hearing about.

Alternatively, should I bite the bullet and go to a physical location? (In my current case, that might involve crossing international boundaries, so I'd rather not)

Thank you,

Grey Wolf
    The XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe version appears to be a just a collection of a) the base game, b) a season pass like thing (with some rather disappointing looking packs) that they are not calling a season pass (which implies there's likely to be much more DLC not included, maybe a full blown expansion), and c) the soundtrack. The Digital Deluxe version is not likely to go away. What will go away, however, is the pre-order bonus available for the pre-purchase of any edition. It will almost certainly return as a paid option, though.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

21. - Top - End - #141

RogueGuy

So after the winter sale, I found myself with Borderlands 1.5 and its season pass. Would anyone be interested in playing it with me at some point?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    So after the winter sale, I found myself with Borderlands 1.5 and its season pass. Would anyone be interested in playing it with me at some point?
    I'm interested, haven't really played much besides as Nisha and Athena anyway.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know where else I could ask this. I already asked the steam support, but so far they're not really helpful, so I'm wondering if you guys have experience about this.

Consider there are three person, Alice, Bob, and Charlie.

Alice live in South East Asia, Bob lives in Europe, Charlie lives in United States.

Alice cannot gift to Bob in Europe because region restriction, this is clear.

Charlie can gift to both Bob and Alice.

My question is, for example if Charlie gift X game to Alice, can Alice gift that specific X game to Bob?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I don't know where else I could ask this. I already asked the steam support, but so far they're not really helpful, so I'm wondering if you guys have experience about this.

Consider there are three person, Alice, Bob, and Charlie.

Alice live in South East Asia, Bob lives in Europe, Charlie lives in United States.

Alice cannot gift to Bob in Europe because region restriction, this is clear.

Charlie can gift to both Bob and Alice.

My question is, for example if Charlie gift X game to Alice, can Alice gift that specific X game to Bob?
    From experience: Once a game has been bought as an inventory item, that inventory item is locked to the region where it was bought (including no region restrictions, if bought in a region with no restrictions for that particular game). The game can be passed even to someone in a region that cannot activate it (e.g. Germany), as the region restrictions only come into play when they try to activate. It can pass through as many hands as need be, and it keeps the original restrictions (or lack thereof).

However, if activated to your account, you cannot buy a new copy with the original restriction. New gift copies will always be in your region, even if you activated a copy from another region.

So, assuming that nothing has changed and your scenario is correct, Charlie could gift a game to Alice, who doesn't activate it and gives the unactivated gift item to Bob. But, if Alice activates it, she can't buy a new one to give to Bob.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thank you, that's exactly what I need. I guess to make sure, I could buy a 50 cent game and try to pass it through multiple people as this scenario.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm trying to wrangle my Steam Controller, specifically for Dungeon of the Endless, but the problems I'm having are endemic to playing any of my mouse+keyboard games with just the controller (I don't have a mouse handy, just in case you ask). How exactly do I get it so that wonky things like (in DotE's case) left mouse button defaulting to right trigger instead of, oh I don't know, the A button don't happen? Is there a place in the options where I can set up a default config? Any pointers as to what I should do with all the buttons once I'm there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm trying to wrangle my Steam Controller, specifically for Dungeon of the Endless, but the problems I'm having are endemic to playing any of my mouse+keyboard games with just the controller (I don't have a mouse handy, just in case you ask). How exactly do I get it so that wonky things like (in DotE's case) left mouse button defaulting to right trigger instead of, oh I don't know, the A button don't happen? Is there a place in the options where I can set up a default config? Any pointers as to what I should do with all the buttons once I'm there?
    In Big Picture mode with your Steam Controller turned on, navigate to a game and choose Manage Game => Controller Configuration. From that menu you can customize any button on the controller -- including remapping the touchpads and joystick, changing the level of haptic feedback, and enabling the gyroscope.

Choose Browse Configs (X) to check what layouts have already been uploaded to Steam -- the "Gamepad" and "Gamepad with Camera" options in the Templates menu generally mimic the XBox controller's layout. Newer and more popular games generally have a pile of user-made layouts in the Community section as well.

Once you find or tweak a layout to your liking, use Export Config (Y) to save it. Once you've exported a layout, it will appear in the Browse Configs menu under "Your Other Games" when you open Controller Configuration for another game.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    In Big Picture mode with your Steam Controller turned on, navigate to a game and choose Manage Game => Controller Configuration. From that menu you can customize any button on the controller -- including remapping the touchpads and joystick, changing the level of haptic feedback, and enabling the gyroscope.

Choose Browse Configs (X) to check what layouts have already been uploaded to Steam -- the "Gamepad" and "Gamepad with Camera" options in the Templates menu generally mimic the XBox controller's layout. Newer and more popular games generally have a pile of user-made layouts in the Community section as well.

Once you find or tweak a layout to your liking, use Export Config (Y) to save it. Once you've exported a layout, it will appear in the Browse Configs menu under "Your Other Games" when you open Controller Configuration for another game.
    And what should one do with all the buttons? Obviously right pad is camera and left pad is movement (unless you want to use the joystick for that purpose), the A button is equivalent to the left click, and the B button is equivalent to "back", but what does one do with the triggers, bumpers, and clickers? Not to mention, of course, buttons X and Y? I'm just looking for a good way to allocate all those resources in ways that work for the grand majority of games (because the default certainly doesn't work).
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    And what should one do with all the buttons? Obviously right pad is camera and left pad is movement (unless you want to use the joystick for that purpose), the A button is equivalent to the left click, and the B button is equivalent to "back", but what does one do with the triggers, bumpers, and clickers? Not to mention, of course, buttons X and Y? I'm just looking for a good way to allocate all those resources in ways that work for the grand majority of games (because the default certainly doesn't work).
    As I said, for the "grand majority of games" that already support a controller, the "Gamepad" or "Gamepad with Camera" templates will start you off well, since they match the XBox setup for which most games in the last ~5 years were designed (and will most often prompt those games to switch from having keyboard prompts on-screen to having XBox prompts that match your controller).

For games that don't have built-in XBox controller support, you have to consider on a game-by-game basis what buttons you need. For a wholly mouse-driven game like AdVenture Capitalist or Papers, Please, that may mean you only need a touchpad to move the mouse and one button to left-click. On the extreme other end, my XCOM 2 layout uses both touchpads, the joystick, one button for each different key you need to move and select your soldiers, and -- because I ran out of buttons -- holding the left grip pad turns the "mouse" touchpad into a pop-up menu of the hotkeys for psi powers, special attack skills, grenades, and evac. There is no "one best layout" that will work for everything.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    game-by-game basis
    I was afraid of that. I get your point about things that already have controller support (like, say, Bastion), but I get the feeling that for some games (like Dungeon of the Endless) I'd need to double-bind a few things to make them all work correctly. I need to write down the major key shortcuts, which reeks of homework.