New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Darths and Droids V: Thread IV Was Eaten By Dogs

I can honestly say, if you had given me a thousand guesses, I don't think I would have come close to THAT title.

====

Still a bit too early to say how they're going to play this, I think. I'll save a comments until one or two more strips are in.

EDIT:::

Spoilers by Implication:

Spoiler
    Show
    Although the fact that Cory is there... Hmmm... That throws out one possibility (a flashback to a previous session).
    Well, very probably at least.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-01 at 01:44 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I can honestly say, if you had given me a thousand guesses, I don't think I would have come close to THAT title.
    Oh, the title they have listed in the Archive page? Yeah, I would not have guessed that.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ettin in the Playground

Two readers, two Playgrounders. As it should be.

4. - Top - End - #1174

PirateGuy

Let me just say, congrats keybounce and aurilee for your participation. It's really cool to collaborate with something like that - I'd love to be able to do the same, or at least read it spoiler-free, but alas, I'm not the kind of person who's got the discipline to just sit out a popular film in one of their favorite franchises like that
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2017-08-03 at 07:50 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Congratulations Keybounce and aurilee!

BTW, I haven't seen Rogue One yet, either.

Keybounce: "Since Episode IV started with several skipped sessions, I was expecting Rogue One to be set in that zone."

Apparently there were three skipped sessions with one of Jim's characters being killed each time. I think the three killed characters were Bail Organa (who's piloting apparently resulted in a TPK), Kyle Katarn, and Bria Tharen. Would it be possible that the events of Rogue One happened during one long session before Bria Tharen was killed? If so, the players might reminisce about that session and we will see the movie played out that way. The players might have been playing alternate characters for a change of pace. Either that, or they players might decide to go for another (news) game set in that time period and see if Jim can managed to not be killed while they all play alternate characters. IDK.

6. - Top - End - #1176

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Congratulations Keybounce and aurilee!

BTW, I haven't seen Rogue One yet, either.

Keybounce: "Since Episode IV started with several skipped sessions, I was expecting Rogue One to be set in that zone."

Apparently there were three skipped sessions with one of Jim's characters being killed each time. I think the three killed characters were Bail Organa (who's piloting apparently resulted in a TPK), Kyle Katarn, and Bria Tharen. Would it be possible that the events of Rogue One happened during one long session before Bria Tharen was killed? If so, the players might reminisce about that session and we will see the movie played out that way. The players might have been playing alternate characters for a change of pace. Either that, or they players might decide to go for another (news) game set in that time period and see if Jim can managed to not be killed while they all play alternate characters. IDK.
    Eh, I dunno, "reminiscing on a past session" sounds pretty far-fetched to me, and doesn't really allow for the sort of improvisation and player interaction that makes Darths & Droids so fun. I mean, it's alright to make that a bunch of scattered references and maybe a campaign planning sheet or two (like they've done with past "intermission" campaigns), but not a whole in-comic campaign. Plus, it doesn't fit with the references in the beginning of the comic's Episode IV. So I guess we can take the intro here at face value and safely say Rogue 1 is set after Episode VI here. As for stuff already discussed in spoilers in this thread... I'll just say that the folks behind D&D are pretty inventive, I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes, it's true that the irregulars can probably change the in-game plot quite a bit from what was in the movie, so there probably wouldn't be any reason it would have to fit the same time period as the movie.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A teeny bit surprised that neither of our recappers has noted
    Spoiler
    Show
    the lack of an opening crawl for R1.

Caused quite a bit of commentary amongst some of the more.... excitable members of fandom last year.

More generally, still up in the air exactly which way this is all going to go. Should be interesting to see which way it ultimately plays.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A teeny bit surprised that neither of our recappers has noted
    Spoiler
    Show
    the lack of an opening crawl for R1.

Caused quite a bit of commentary amongst some of the more.... excitable members of fandom last year.

More generally, still up in the air exactly which way this is all going to go. Should be interesting to see which way it ultimately plays.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The campaign proper hasn't started yet. Theres still time in comic before that becomes apparent.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The campaign proper hasn't started yet. Theres still time in comic before that becomes apparent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    True enuf.* But it was in the first strip of each of the previous starts.

Real spoiler territory:

Spoiler
    Show
    More interested their reactions to the honest-to-goodness flashback. We've seen flashbacks in D&D more than a few times (sepia style), but never in the movies themselves. Curious to see how they handle the time skip from Young Jyn to Incarcerated-About-To-Be-Busted-Out-Of-Jail Jyn.

* Although it IS starting to unfold in the background shot.

Where none of the players are paying attention of course.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-03 at 03:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

What are those white streaks in the central images? Is that some sort of structure? Is it from the Rogue One movie?

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What are those white streaks in the central images? Is that some sort of structure? Is it from the Rogue One movie?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its been a bit since ive seen the movie, but IIRC those are the rings from a gas giant, Saturn style, from the opening.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    It's the opening shot of R1. Specifically the rings around the planet that is about to be visited.

Edited to put in Spoiler Bars since Keltest did.

EDIT:::

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its been a bit since ive seen the movie, but IIRC those are the rings from a gas giant, Saturn style, from the opening.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's screenshots from the very first moments of the film, in fact. Only thing not shown is the "pan up" from another nearby planet/moon that has nothing to do with the film.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-03 at 04:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1184

Another thing to consider with how this is going to play out is that the party apparently only has a few days before Jim and Annie head out again. Makes retelling more likely in my mind.

15. - Top - End - #1185

BlackDragon

With regard to the lack of opening crawl, I do make mention of that in an upcoming annotation. You'll see that comment from me in about a week.

The rest of those spoilers I did not open.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As far as spoilers go, I am erring on the side of caution. Yeah, I doubt it will hurt their experience to know what those things were in the movie, but since I'm not one of the Comic Irregulars and have no idea where theyre going with it, any random detail could turn out to be important.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks everyone for hiding spoilers, especially given that Keybounce hangs out here. One specific thing that I also requested in my own forums is that names of characters from Rogue One should be treated as spoilers, until such time as they are revealed in-comic.

I know this is tricky but I definitely thank you for your effort!

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks like it's flashback time. I'll admit I'm a bit surprised, I was hoping they would find a way to make RO take place in between episodes VI and VII. But it looks like they are taking the more obvious path by making Rogue One a prequel.

Spoiler: Legends/EU/RO
    Show
    Now the curious part will be how they handle the differences between the Legends EU and RO. The dialogue in episode IV seems to indicate that what happened during the sessions we didn't see lined up more with the EU than with the movie that had not yet been announced when they did episode IV (Jim played Kyle Katarn, who doesn't exist in the new continuity).
    Last edited by 137beth; 2017-08-06 at 09:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1189

PirateGuy

Wow, so we're really going into flashbacks. Curious to see how this turns out!

So we know there were three sessions between Episodes III and IV (the four sessions before Corey joined include one session at the beginning of Ep. IV). Rogue One seemingly spans these three sessions, making it a rather short campaign. That said...

Spoiler
    Show
    Jim apparently had one character die in each of those sessions - Bail Organa, Kyle Katarn and Bria Tharen. Except for Bail Organa,
    who was already shown in-comic (and with the same actor, no less) in the prequel movies, the other two could be just Rogue One characters that got renamed. The problem is... I don't really see it fitting what was said in early Ep. IV. I mean, they said Bail Organa died crashing a ship, but we don't see him piloting anything in Rogue One, nor any really high-profile spaceship crashes in the first third or so of the movie (first session). Suppose that might happen "off-screen". As for Kyle Katarn... my first thought was "Cassian", but that can't be because he dies near the end of the movie, together with Jyn. So he could be a rename of Saw Gerrera. Suppose they rename Jeddah "Danuta". (Besides, in the archive page, the Rogue One campaign is apparently called "Butch Cassian and the Sundance Droid", so I think Cassian will be there with his "original" name.) As for Bria Tharen, that's pretty simple - that's what Jyn Erso is called in the comic's version of R1. She dies near the end of the movie ("third session"), and while trying to transmit the "Peace Moon" plans (I guess Scarif is renamed "Toprawa").
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2017-08-06 at 10:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Spoiler: Legends/EU/RO
    Show
    Now the curious part will be how they handle the differences between the Legends EU and RO. The dialogue in episode IV seems to indicate that what happened during the sessions we didn't see lined up more with the EU than with the movie that had not yet been announced when they did episode IV (Jim played Kyle Katarn, who doesn't exist in the new continuity).
    Spoiler
    Show
    The easiest way to help make things line up, of course, is renaming. Jyn could become Bria... maybe Chirrut could be Kyle? The biggest problem is that there's the mention of 'why Jim's character doesn't get to have a lightsaber' when the protagonists don't get to use one. And that seems like a fairly major thing. Maybe there'll be an offhanded comment or something about "you know, if that was a lightsaber, you would have killed me". Multiple times.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-08-06 at 10:17 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Recappers might want to be a teeny bit careful when it comes to comments, implied or otherwise, about Ep 7. After all, there's a no-watch challenge there as well, and on balance I think those folks have had it rougher.

Not saying it crossed the line here. But, kinda close.

===

There's a reason why I held off on commenting about this being a flashback to the past campaign. Still an outside possibility there is something going on here. But on balance it does appear to be a flashback of some sort.

We'll see if it remains a flashback the whole way through.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-06 at 03:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I have seen neither of the new movies and I am wondering how this will affect my appreciation of Darths and Droids and the films when I finally see them.

Will DandD become canon to me and the films the parodies? I wouldn't think so, but what the CI's did in The Phantasmal Malevolence completely eclipsed the original and watching Episode I now is aggravatingly dull.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

23. - Top - End - #1193

The prequels were dull to begin with. Frankly, I prefer the CI versions to the films anyway, so not bothering with the theater ever isn't going to hurt much.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    I have seen neither of the new movies and I am wondering how this will affect my appreciation of Darths and Droids and the films when I finally see them.

Will DandD become canon to me and the films the parodies? I wouldn't think so, but what the CI's did in The Phantasmal Malevolence completely eclipsed the original and watching Episode I now is aggravatingly dull.
    One thing that this has going for it is the film is visually stunning. Framed beautifully and drop dead gorgeous at times. Which means it's going to be very easy to write whatever the CIers want to put in, as the backgrounds and the way scenes are framed already go a long way in telling a/the story.

Gareth Edwards' background is from the visual end of the arts, and it really shows at times in R1.

MEGA SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING:

(Not kidding here)

Spoiler
    Show
    One scene that shows what I am talking about here is toward the end where Krennic looks up and sees the Death Star. More than one person has compared the Death Star to a baleful eye of a vengeful god, looking disapprovingly down toward the ground, about to smite what is distasteful in its presence.

Another one of the famous shots is the eclipse much earlier in the film. The sense of dread and mythological evil (a demon that is about to eat the sun, hearlding the end times) is thick there.

And, of course, THAT scene at the end. You know, the one which wouldn't be out of place in a horror film with the way it was lit, framed, and set.

Plenty of other scenes as well.

Honestly, it must have been fun going through the film looking for all the scenes to use as screenshots.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    And, of course, THAT scene at the end. You know, the one which wouldn't be out of place in a horror film with the way it was lit, framed, and set.
    Spoiler: Porthos wasn't joking; Death-Star-sized ending spoiler here. Swim at your own risk.
    Show
    OK, I'm gonna bitch about that scene, and really virtually everything dealing with the Tantive IV in that movie.

The setup was great. The lighting, the mood, the breathing suddenly coming out of nowhere, everything was set for epicness. And then the scene just.... fell. There's at least a dozen soldiers, and when they start to fire, they just let loose. Blaster blots filling the air left right and center, tens of blasters all firing rapidly and near-simultaneously. Then cut to Vader, and.... there's maybe three on screen at any given point. It's more like one or two guys shooting wildly, and not a small troop of soldiers. Then Vader uses the Force. He picks a guy up and slings him against a wall. Except it looks sluggish. It's not throwing the guy against the wall so much as he's kinda moving him at a mildly brisk speed.

Now I know that it's a common trick in movies when portraying overwhelming force to actually have the person facing it really only taking them on a little at a time, but movies are all about selling the illusion. When Jackie Chan fights a gang of people, for instance, his style, camera work, and how he has the people react to being hit all contribute into selling the illusion. But Vader in the hallway, it's just very obvious that there are far fewer blaster bolts being fired when the camera is on him than when the camera is on the shooters.

Same for practical effects. I'm a huge fan of when filmmakers still do practical effects, but again, it's about selling the illusion. When a guy looks like he's in a harness on strings, it just kind of wrecks the whole thing for me.

Anyway, off that scene and onto the Tantive IV. Oh, how they handled almost every part of that terribly.

Why was the Tantive IV docked to begin with? Imean, realistically, it was so they could have the Vader scene and be happy, but.... there are other Corellian corvettes in the space battle. Clearly, they were useful enough that some were brought along to help the fleet fight, so why keep one in reserve? Especially when that one is supposed to be going to Tatooine to get a Jedi at the time.

And even if we take it as read that they were docked, why could they not simply receive the plans being transmitted like the Calamarian ship did? Why could no other ship receive them either? There were a few ships that jumped out before the Devastator got there, with no indication that they weren't able to also receive the transmission. Hell, if they knew they didn't have the plans, why did they jump out before the flagship did? If all their eggs are in one basket, you'd think they'd want to make sure the basket doesn't get broken. That's kind of the main role of support ships.

Frankly, the whole thing would have been better if the Tantive IV had been one of (if not the only) ship that jumped out before the Star Destroyer got there. Hell, one of the ships that escaped was a blockade runner, and the first time I was watching it, I flat-out thought that it was Leia's ship that needed to be chased down. That way, Leia's protestations in Ep. IV would have been a bit more sensible - she would have jumped right before Vader got there, so he would have highly circumstantial proof, but no "I saw you with my own eyes, we tracked your exact ship with your exact markings, and we have dead crewmen who match perfectly the ones on your ship, what is this bull**** you're trying to pull on me?" With Rogue One ending as it did, Leia is literally using the Shaggy Defense.

But they had to have their Vader scene. And they couldn't even do it well, dammit.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Um, wow. That's... quite the rant there Peelee.

Not gonna address it much of it except to say that I adore that scene and whatever problems one might have with it border on nitpicks to me* and are pretty easily handwaved away from where I'm standing**.

* I realize they aren't nitpicks to you, just that they are to me, if you see what I mean.
    ** Ditto.

However, the big elephant in the room, I'll address in spoiler bars:

Spoiler: Still Massive Spoilers Here: Stay Away AWAY I SAY
    Show
    It's been commented on by TPTB that the Tantive IV was going to try for a diplomatic immunity gambit if/when they got caught. Was it a great plan? Well... No. But considering the circumstances of improv running around trying to keep a heads up on a massively chaotic, unplanned situation, it works well enough for me.

Plus the scene was absolutely KICK. ASS. so I can forgive potential Movie Logic here.

That and I still well up a tad at "Hope".

So. Yeah. Worked wonders for me. One of my favorite combined scenes in all of the movie franchise. Both in execution and setup. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-07 at 01:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Um, wow. That's... quite the rant there Peelee.

Not gonna address it much of it except to say that I adore that scene and whatever problems one might have with it border on nitpicks to me* and are pretty easily handwaved away from where I'm standing**.

* I realize they aren't nitpicks to you, just that they are to me, if you see what I mean.
    ** Ditto.

However, the big elephant in the room, I'll address in spoiler bars:

Spoiler: Still Massive Spoilers Here: Stay Away AWAY I SAY
    Show
    It's been commented on by TPTB that the Tantive IV was going to try for a diplomatic immunity gambit if/when they got caught. Was it a great plan? Well... No. But considering the circumstances of improv running around trying to keep a heads up on a massively chaotic, unplanned situation, it works well enough for me.

Plus the scene was absolutely KICK. ASS. so I can forgive potential Movie Logic here.

That and I still well up a tad at "Hope".

So. Yeah. Worked wonders for me. One of my favorite combined scenes in all of the movie franchise. Both in execution and setup. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.
    Spoiler: Still spoilery. Here there be dragons
    Show
    Frankly, I'm happy that it doesn't bother you. I wish it didn't bother me, because I agree, it would be absolutely kick ass if it didn't look so badly done to me. It's still a great concept, it was just the execution that broke it for me.

But no, the ship will remain ridiculous. I understand the desire for plausible deniability, but it was present during an attack on an Imperial base. There's no getting out of that. And, again, it turns her gamble into a Shaggy defense, which will always be unacceptable crap that I will not abide.
    Spoiler: I don't mean this as a cheap shot, but it may come off as one, so I'm putting this here so you can ignore it if you want.
    Show
    Also, I thought the "hope" line was pretty cheesy, so that didn't give me any real satisfaction with the ship being there either

And don't even get me started on how I feel about them shoehorning the droids in there back on Yavin IV.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Still spoilery. Here there be dragons
    Show
    But no, the ship will remain ridiculous. I understand the desire for plausible deniability, but it was present during an attack on an Imperial base. There's no getting out of that.
    Spoiler: Yep, Still Don't You Dare Open level spoilers
    Show
    Well, in SW they were knowingly firing upon a ship with a Senator on board. Now we know why they were so pissed.

And it's not like the gambit was completely without merit:

"If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate"

Just mostly without merit. But desperate folks in desperate situations and all that.

----

As I understand it one of the plans*, such as it was a plan, was to expose the Death Star to the Senate and the galaxy at large before the Empire was ready to openly use it. Trying to use Leia as cover was a "It probably won't work, but if it does..." type deal.

Otherwise known as: When all you have is crappy options, you pretty much have crappy plans.

It was only when the Senate was dissolved did the Empire think it could get away with the open existence of the Death Star.

So, like I said, works well enough for me.

* Along with the "Search the Files for a Weakness" plan and "Open Full War is a Comin', Get All Our Allies Out of Cold Storage" plan.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-07 at 02:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1199

Spoiler: Yep, Still Don't You Dare Open level spoilers
    Show
    Well, in SW they were knowingly firing upon a ship with a Senator on board. Now we know why they were so pissed.

And it's not like the gambit was completely without merit:

"If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate"

Just mostly without merit. But desperate folks in desperate situations and all that.
    Spoiler: This is so spoiled it gets a new car every year.
    Show
    Without Rogue One, Vader claims that they had transmissions beamed to that ship by Rebel spies, and Leia tries playing innocent. The Senate could be sympathetic to the rebellion if the Empire is pulling over senators without sufficient proof.

With Rogue One, Leia is provably part of a Rebel fleet that participated in an attack on an Imperial base, where Imperial soldiers died. Even if she gets in front of the senate and screams, "Death Star!" at the top of her lungs, she'd be openly admitting to committing treason.

Senators being arrested with no proof (no Death Star plans found anywhere) generates sympathy in the Senate. Senators confessing to treason does not.

The Shaggy defense is not desperate. It's tone deaf. It's saying, "I'm not going to do a damn thing to help myself and instead will just hope and pray the other side manages to mess up somehow."

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: This is so spoiled it gets a new car every year.
    Show
    Without Rogue One, Vader claims that they had transmissions beamed to that ship by Rebel spies, and Leia tries playing innocent. The Senate could be sympathetic to the rebellion if the Empire is pulling over senators without sufficient proof.

With Rogue One, Leia is provably part of a Rebel fleet that participated in an attack on an Imperial base, where Imperial soldiers died. Even if she gets in front of the senate and screams, "Death Star!" at the top of her lungs, she'd be openly admitting to committing treason.

Senators being arrested with no proof (no Death Star plans found anywhere) generates sympathy in the Senate. Senators confessing to treason does not.

The Shaggy defense is not desperate. It's tone deaf. It's saying, "I'm not going to do a damn thing to help myself and instead will just hope and pray the other side manages to mess up somehow."
    Fair enuf. Not much more I can add so all I can say is that the implications from the scene in question doesn't bother me and at most rises to the classical definition of Fridge Logic (on the way to the fridge you say, "waitaminute").