New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ #56: Prismatic Spray!

merp, that "weak gender identity" thing is hard for me, because on one hand, the labels seem meaningless. on the other hand I think I'm transgender lesbian. so either the labels don't matter that much and my thinking is just some stupid fancy of mine, or it matters more than I think, but don't care enough to actually make it matter to me. its weird. how can I both think this kind of thing is not all that meaningful yet at the same time think of myself as such a thing?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

They are very ethereal, but people are wired for one or the other usually.. which mostly seems to mean that they are wired to recognize people who are one of the two, identify as that one, and mimic it. Some people are more strongly wired that way than others. It links to language and stuff. As long as it is working and pointing at the usual suspect, it can be very weak and it doesn't matter. As soon as it starts pitching error messages or the gender that society disagrees with, it starts to be an issue for people.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    {scrubbed}
    No, it's the way they actually view and treat sexual minorities, not that a given book can be read as having a condemnation of them which they may or may not just completely ignore or not care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    So I wore a dress last sunday for the first time in like a year, ignore the dorky expression:

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice dress. Nice hair stylin'.

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    I would really like to comment on this, but guess it would not be possible without breaking forum rules.

Of another subject, if one wanted to present as agender, do you have ideas how one could go about that?
    It's tough. And it's come up a few times. You're actively working against the basic level of human impulse and categorization when encountering new people, after all, and the odds are against you, since any gender you were mentally assigned by someone else's subconscious would be misgendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Well I realized today I have been forgetting tot take my antidepressants for a few days. Felt pretty low because of that I guess.
    Do you have one of those 1 week pill reminder dividers? Should be able to get one for about 3-5 bucks at any pharmacy if you think it'll help.

Mostly though it's remembering to form a habit.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-07-01 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    merp, that "weak gender identity" thing is hard for me, because on one hand, the labels seem meaningless. on the other hand I think I'm transgender lesbian. so either the labels don't matter that much and my thinking is just some stupid fancy of mine, or it matters more than I think, but don't care enough to actually make it matter to me. its weird. how can I both think this kind of thing is not all that meaningful yet at the same time think of myself as such a thing?
    I really think it's a question of use. The labels are very effective when you're trying to discuss yourself with others or otherwise interact. Want to narrow your dating pool to people who would be interested in getting to know you? Use a couple labels. Want to ask for advice from people? A label or two makes for a good starting point.

But the labels are inherently incomplete. Any kind of rigorous analysis makes them start falling apart very quickly because all they really are is a bundle of sticks that usually go to together. Once you start pulling sticks out of that bundle, the whole thing collapses. How many sticks are even required before you can call it a "bundle" anyway?

What i think that means is that the label is good for shorthand. Anytime you want to say "I am [X]" and you don't have the time for a 20 minute conversation, they do you a favor. But when you want to discuss yourself or go into detail with people you know and care about, the labels are totally useless. All that really matters is what you want to do and how you want people to treat you, and that particular bundle of sticks is unique for everyone.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Spamalot in the Playground

Humans are wired for labels, and they are not inherently bad. It's very easy to use them to be exclusionary though.

To put an older topic to bed:

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Spoiler: Complete Tangent on the Matrix
    Show
    They DON'T need people batteries. The people batteries are wasting power that could keep Machines alive, in order to keep humans alive, because the machines are the good guys and are magnanimous in victory, having gone to the trouble of creating a whole artificial playground to keep humans maximally happy but say "no, you're not allowed to genocide us like you tried to." They even tried to make it basically heaven with everything perfect first, and then had to tone down the happy for later iterations of the matrix because humans refuse to accept that much happy. The fusion provides the power, and the only thing that the pods built up around the humans do is limit some of the wasteage, and there's always wasteage because humans are energy negative. The people batteries capture (say 20% of) the power lost by keeping the humans alive and channel it back in the system for reuse because at the scale of hanging onto a people reserve of this nature that's a huge amount of power, they don't provide power in the first place.

That was my point. Let go of the propaganda that Morpheus feeds you, he was indoctrinated as and indoctrinates child soldiers, he is not a reliable source. The agents may be jerks, but they are working to stop a terrorist faction (those article clippings we see indicate morpheus is not above blowing up an airport to get attention, as do the instructions on dealing with humans before the Lobby Scene) using child soldiers from attempting genocide on their species (again) AND from dumping however many million/billion souls from the lives they've built up with friends and loved ones into a blasted wasteland where many of them will starve to death or will have their heart give out because their ancestors decided to literally go scorched earth (and good luck finding your spouse, or your child in a crowd of millions of refugees without any contact information).

Plus the agents are willing to negotiate with humans who play nice with them, I have no reason to believe that Smith was planning to backstab Cipher, and indeed if Smith had played fair he had a better chance of helping clear out the resistance entirely and get his wish of not having to be in the Matrix anymore, go back to the real world and download into a squiddie or something. I don't know.

And as for fusion vs. geothermal... Well, there are oceans FULL of hydrogen, and it's not like they need to worry about the long term impact on the biosphere, and someday they can probably just load up all their citizens onto a single storage mechanism and commute themselves to Jupiter or something.

*Ahem* On topic now, does anyone else watch Last Week Tonight? The main story (which is posted on youtube) is all about Trans Rights. Trigger warning, frank discussion of transphobia, but he's firmly on the side of "STOP DOING THAT TO THE TRANS FOLKS YOU MONSTERS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    On the Matrix tangent, Golly hit what I wanted to say. It's logical from the perspective of "we have lots of ways to generate energy and there are other things that we care about more than being the most efficient possible at energy generation."
    I'm willing to accept "Morpheus was talking out of his ass" as an explanation, but to bring this all home, you could simply apply that same logic to Lucy - neither she nor Morgan Freeman understand how the drug actually works (and, by the time she achieves the universal consciousness to understand it properly, she has bigger things to worry about than correcting some pop-science junk meme,) So in short, it's poorly-explained in-universe to make the plot go and it shouldn't matter to our enjoyment of the piece, we can set the inconsistency aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I thought that the first post was actually sarcastic. There are lots of times when being a friend means not supporting someone doing something stupid. And plenty of friends disagree about more mundane things. I might disagree with someone about how they keep their finances or why they have an incredibly ugly couch and refuse to replace it. We can still be friends. Even very fundamental issues like LGBT acceptance can still be. Your second comment, unfortunately, makes me think you are not being sarcastic at all, and I think you should reconsider your views.
    Basically this.

So I wore a dress last sunday for the first time in like a year, ignore the dorky expression:

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty!
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm willing to accept "Morpheus was talking out of his ass" as an explanation, but to bring this all home, you could simply apply that same logic to Lucy - neither she nor Morgan Freeman understand how the drug actually works (and, by the time she achieves the universal consciousness to understand it properly, she has bigger things to worry about than correcting some pop-science junk meme,) So in short, it's poorly-explained in-universe to make the plot go and it shouldn't matter to our enjoyment of the piece, we can set the inconsistency aside.
    The difference is in the Matrix we know that Morpheus is an unabashed partisan, and his speech contains all the elements required to make the machines the good guys if you look at it through that lens. From the moment he says "combined with a form of fusion" he's hung himself, because he has perfectly explained away the plot hole, the plot hole only exists if you accept him at face value AND ignore that line.

Lucy we'd still need an actual explanation for something that doesn't make sense to begin with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking nice, (what is the name"Tamsim" I think I have seen it in referring to you several times before), as cute as I remember.

8. - Top - End - #158

Lucy we'd still need an actual explanation for something that doesn't make sense to begin with.
    You don't need an explanation any more than you need to know what exactly he means by "a form of fusion."

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I just overheard a middle aged man (in a cloak...) explain to a little boy what transsexuality is. I missed how it came up, but it seemed like he did a pretty good job in a couple of sentences
    Tolerus Maximus!
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

You don't need an explanation any more than you need to know what exactly he means by "a form of fusion."
    But see, we can hypothesize about types of fusion, a good chunk is known about that. There is no way to "unlock the brains power", unless you mean dump a bunch of neurotransmitters in which case, that would kill you. Dead. VERY DEAD. (I was writing a horror story about a vampire like creature who lives on neurotransmitters and went to my advisor on what exactly would happen). Brain chemistry is a very... tricky... thing to mess with. Most things that aren't extremely small changes kill you. Dead. There is a theme here somewhere.

Not even getting into the "she would literally tear herself apart with some of those stunts" part of the whole thing. Which by the way would kill her. Dead.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

I'm presuming that they're using hydrogen to helium fusion, being the most energy to mass dense form of fuel known to theoretical science short of total matter to energy annihilation: the dream of cold fusion may yet be beyond them, but if they've got hot fusion that's probably good enough. All they need is a source of hydrogen: if they're cracking water with electrolysis to get hydrogen and oxygen (incidentally also a good way to keep their human pets alive in the absence of photosynthetic plants), they would have a source of it that should be more sustainable than solar power (the hydrogen in the ocean if used as a fuel source for a civilization with comparable power needs to earth today would last about 150 billion years, which is well past the life expectancy of the sun (5 billion years) or the earth (incinerated when the sun converts to helium fusion and expands). But I think it's probably foolish to plan more than a couple million years ahead at this juncture, their civilization is maybe 300 years old, you know, and I don't expect a day old infant to have put any thought into their retirement fund so they can hang up their hat at 65...

Whereas Lucy, they give us a plot hole with no explanation that makes sense. And granted, you can have fun with it, but I really like my movies to make sense.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Greetings, assorted queer folk! Just wanted to pop in to give hugs and fist bumps over recent news. One thing down, a lot more (but slightly less than before) to go.

Happy days and much love to you all!
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #162

We're getting off-topic so I'll sum up:

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    But see, we can hypothesize about types of fusion, a good chunk is known about that. There is no way to "unlock the brains power", unless you mean dump a bunch of neurotransmitters in which case, that would kill you. Dead. VERY DEAD. (I was writing a horror story about a vampire like creature who lives on neurotransmitters and went to my advisor on what exactly would happen). Brain chemistry is a very... tricky... thing to mess with. Most things that aren't extremely small changes kill you. Dead. There is a theme here somewhere.

Not even getting into the "she would literally tear herself apart with some of those stunts" part of the whole thing. Which by the way would kill her. Dead.
    There was a time when attempting a heart transplant would kill you Dead. Very Dead. All that means is the science isn't there yet, but the whole point of speculative fiction is to get to a point where the science Is There, so you can ask "what if." Whether or not the magic drug works exactly the way Morgan Freeman thinks it does is besides the point.

First part of this video is basically my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Greetings, assorted queer folk! Just wanted to pop in to give hugs and fist bumps over recent news. One thing down, a lot more (but slightly less than before) to go.

Happy days and much love to you all!
    Fist bumps and hugs from allies are always appreciated
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #163

Spoiler
    Show
    You look fantastic!

On the subject of my friend who's against gay marriage... I ended up ending the friendship. We've been drifting apart a while, and this was just kinda the last straw. I'm more alone than ever now, but I guess I'm better off?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I'm more alone than ever now, but I guess I'm better off?
    Physically and likely geographically true.

Look at the bigger picture, it's the only way to avoid feeling completely alone. As long as you have an internet connection, you'll have access to a pretty decent substitute to offline friendship, and even though you lost a friend, you could always make real friends.

15. - Top - End - #165

*Hugs everyone on the thread*

Thanks for being here for me. And for everyone else.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Just a pro-tip for everyone. Don't make ever meal you eat for the entire day be cherries. They tasted so good....
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

17. - Top - End - #167

Spoiler
    Show
    You look pretty good there.

Well I realized today I have been forgetting tot take my antidepressants for a few days. Felt pretty low because of that I guess.
    That stinks. Any way to make it harder to forget? Personally if I forget I get some nasty withdrawal midafternoon but that's a bad mechanism for remembering. Now I just leave my pills next to the bathroom sink hane and put my contacts case on top of my pill bottle every night.
    Jude P.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, some more good news (gee, that happened quick). In the U.S. trans people just got some major support for their right to use the bathroom matching their gender identity.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I normally remember, and I keep them by the sink normally. But whenever other people spend a lot of time in my personal space (my family has new doors) I put them away with most other small things I keep by the sink. And then I forget to take them back out. Going to get back on schedule though.

Also today I just realized how much anxiety I have around socialization. Every time I send a message to someone after a few days I become afraid that I have said something offensive or boring or annoying and that they won't want to talk to me again. And then a little later when I do get a reply I am afraid they will tell me in the message that they don't really like me.

And then I have a friend who is always really happy to see me. But never really responds to messages on Facebook. Which is annoying because they are generally one of my few friends, and it makes me feel really lonely when I have tried to reach her 7 times since her last response. And then I start worrying about being kind of creepy and kind of weirdly stalking her or something.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

The Winged Mod: Closed for review.

EDIT: Re-opened upon review. Please avoid Religion, guys.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-07-01 at 10:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hi everybody! I'm sorry I've been away. I feel horrible that I haven't been around recently. As always, I'm going to promise that I'll try harder to be here, and as always, this'll probably be the last you hear from me for a while. But I am going to try!

So, a few congratulations are in order!

First, Jor! Congrats on the engagement! I wish you and (all) your partner(s) the best of luck!

Also, Ashleigh! Congrats on finding your name! I don't know how long ago that happened (see above, about me not being here for a while), but congratulations all the same!

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    I probably will do that. I just have to find where the envelopes are these days.

EDIT: Oh, and find the address.
    As a writer who now also professionally employed as a letter writer, let me know if you need any help in writing your letter, and I will help. I...don't think I have much spae in my PM inbox, but if you're interested let me know .

Also Lena...

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Please know that I believe in you, and that I think you're very pretty. I know I'm not on Skype very much, but anytime you see me and you need to talk, please get in touch.

And that dress looks adorable!

----------

So, me. I have my SRS happening in exactly 40 days! I am simultaneously hyper excited, and hyper nervous. Excited to finally be free from, uh...well, you know. Nervous because I'm worried about the recovery period, and also about the results.

And slightly nervous about having to stop my anti-androgens and reduce my estrogens, even though it's only for two weeks, I'm still at a point where masculinization is happening, so it's scary...

Anyway, there are happy times, so I wanted to say hi to all my friends that I haven't talked to in a while !

~Phee~

EDIT: Oh, und Juniper! Wie geht's? I've missed you! Being in drastically different time zones makes it really hard to talk!
    Last edited by Absol197; 2015-07-01 at 10:46 PM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

22. - Top - End - #172

On the subject of my friend who's against gay marriage... I ended up ending the friendship. We've been drifting apart a while, and this was just kinda the last straw. I'm more alone than ever now, but I guess I'm better off?
    It may be time for a change of scenery. See if you can visit a new city, then find some folks who share your interests on Meetup. If you hit it off, take the plunge. (Or if you already have a place in mind that would be a good fit, just move there and then meet people.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #173

I'm only 18. Hard to move out, but I do have college in a few months.

What's Meetup?

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

*hugs JNA*

Congrats, Absol! That must be really exciting :)

25. - Top - End - #175

Perfect, that's all you need then. Stick it out till you get there and you'll have more friends in no time. Join clubs and student groups.

What's Meetup?
    This is Meetup, and you might even be able to use it at college as well (some student groups don't advertise as widely/conventionally.) Though I would go through your college's student organizations first.

I assume being here you at least have a passing interest in tabletop gaming - that site is a great way to meet people.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Perfect, that's all you need then. Stick it out till you get there and you'll have more friends in no time. Join clubs and student groups.
    'S true. I didn't make any lasting friends until college, and then within a month I had three. We still get together every chance we get a decade or so on.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Looking nice, (what is the name"Tamsim" I think I have seen it in referring to you several times before), as cute as I remember.
    I'm Tamsin, that's Lena.

Charing Cross to see the endocrinologist today! Hopefully I'll get at least my anti-androgens increased.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

That's sad. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out and you lost a friend over all of this. It's not a fun experience at all. My PM box is open if you ever want to talk. About anything, really.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Well, some more good news (gee, that happened quick). In the U.S. trans people just got some major support for their right to use the bathroom matching their gender identity.
    I saw that. It's great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    The Winged Mod: Closed for review.

EDIT: Re-opened upon review. Please avoid Religion, guys.
    You, sir, are a speed demon angel, at thread reviewing.

You're young yet, so hang in there. Moving out is a pretty big change. There are lots of people who are alone or lonely and lots of opportunities to get involved in cool stuff. The best piece of advice I can give you is don't look to meet people. Meeting people is super scary and you set up all these dumb expectations that are hard to meet. Instead, look to do fun things. Play music if you're into that. Join a language or ethnic club if that's important to you. Get into sports if you like that. Join the college gym if you like working out. Learn to dance, perhaps. There are tons of activities at any school, so pick what you find fun and go find places to do it. The cool people will be there.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks everyone for the nice words. :)
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Advice coming from a place of ignorance is awful... My boss keeps offering me advice for my relationship with Miraqariftsky, unsolicited and unwanted, and without understanding of our situation... And he keeps stabbing some old sore spots, and twisting the knife unknowingly.

I've tried to explain that there are things I won't explain and his advice is invalid, but he keeps giving it every time we have a meeting. It's... really frustrating.
    Spoiler
    Show