Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default So maybe V is in a same sex marriage?

Was this ever considered when trying to determine if V is a dude or a chick?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: So maybe V is in a same sex marriage?

Shockingly enough, yes. IIRC, the Giant is on record as having said that V's children were adopted specifically so that it remained a possibility.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Surpriser View Post
    The big, glowing letters on every adamantine doors say: "Break me down and sell me!"

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I came here knowing speculation on this would be a thing

I personally believe they're both male but it's still quite up in the air. V of course would tell us all that it doesn't matter.

Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Shockingly enough, yes. IIRC, the Giant is on record as having said that V's children were adopted specifically so that it remained a possibility.
    Also, i see this everywhere, what is IIRC?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grandpheonix View Post
    Also, i see this everywhere, what is IIRC?
    If I Recall Correctly.
    Show
    The big, glowing letters on every adamantine doors say: "Break me down and sell me!"

There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Perhaps Blackwing is, too? Maybe his adoration for Bloodfeast is something more...
    THE SCRYING SENSOR AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

Spoiler: NSFW
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    THE SCRYING SENSOR AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

V is

Spoiler: Blood runs in the family spoilers
    Show
    confirmed genderqueer in the BRitF commentary.

Also, look closely at Kyrie in this drawing. The Giant drew hir with a rounded bottom instead of the square "male" bottom from earlier in the comic!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Also, look closely at Kyrie in this drawing. The Giant drew hir with a rounded bottom instead of the square "male" bottom from earlier in the comic!
    Which pretty much confirms Kyrie as genderqueer, too. Genderqueer can mean a lot of things, but if it means "agender" or "ungendered" as I would think it does for V and Kyrie, then it would be a queer marriage, but not a same-sex marriage.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Huh, that's really interesting. I didn't notice that until just now.

I wonder what was up with the original design, then.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Is this canon? Can we use this to assume the rumors of Bandana and Andi to be false?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Huh, that's really interesting. I didn't notice that until just now.

I wonder what was up with the original design, then.
    I assume Inky was wearing pants that didn't cling so tightly?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Don't be ridiculous. V is divorced.
    Rich Burlew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Obviously it was all a ruse to prevent a repeat of the dragon incident. V actually had Durkon cast Sending to plan it out while they were sailing to the Western Continent.

Or maybe im just grasping at straws. I liked V being married, it added a side to the character we rarely get to see. And im a hopeless romantic.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Obviously it was all a ruse to prevent a repeat of the dragon incident. V actually had Durkon cast Sending to plan it out while they were sailing to the Western Continent.

Or maybe im just grasping at straws. I liked V being married, it added a side to the character we rarely get to see. And im a hopeless romantic.
    Nah, what we saw of V with the family showed us V largely ignored them. They're better off without V.

But then, I'm not a hopeless romantic who's seen people stick with people "they love" that also mistreat them and are generally horrible.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

So, while I love the decision this image represents:

All I can think is that this will most likley be the last time we see V and Mate happy together, and that brings me down a little bit.

Still:

Rock on LGBT Buddies!
    Now, Back to Lurking!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is there a particular reason for this image being made today? Some kind of particular recurrence, or an important event that happened - but that escaped notice to those outside of the usa? or it was just a random fluke of creativity hitting rich's brain?

In-comic, I wonder if V is gonna try fix things with inkirius after being done with the gates. although I see him as a loner, and therefore a person who doesn't need a romantic pairing to be happy, I'm still sad for his marriage. maybe because it's so difficult for a loner to find a partner who fits with him/her. and especially a queer loner, finding someone who fits with him/her AND is also compatible in sexual orientation seems extremely hard.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Is there a particular reason for this image being made today? Some kind of particular recurrence, or an important event that happened - but that escaped notice to those outside of the usa? or it was just a random fluke of creativity hitting rich's brain?

In-comic, I wonder if V is gonna try fix things with inkirius after being done with the gates. although I see him as a loner, and therefore a person who doesn't need a romantic pairing to be happy, I'm still sad for his marriage. maybe because it's so difficult for a loner to find a partner who fits with him/her. and especially a queer loner, finding someone who fits with him/her AND is also compatible in sexual orientation seems extremely hard.
    We're not allowed to talk about politics here, and while I think that rule is idiotic, I'm not gonna break it, today.

But, if you want to know look up American News and homosexuality and you'll probably find the answer.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    The Supreme Court of the United States of America ruled today that same sex marriage is a right guaranteed by the United States Constitution, and thus that all states are required to allow and recognize it.

LGBT people and their supporters are ecstatic over the news.

Congratulations are in order for the people affected by it, but it's an issue rather tightly coupled to politics so be careful discussing anything more about it than that.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Someone take this to the Index of the Giant's Comments.

Seriously, it's probably worth noting that the divorce is complete, not still in progress.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks for the answer. well, it didn't escape notice outside the US, it is in the main page of all onlline newspapers right now, it just hadn't happened the last time I checked.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

V is

Show
    OK, I still don't 100% understand what "genderqueer" means (because I dropped out of every thread where the issue came up, when the threads became arguments). I do support all orientations and personal choices.

But this answer STILL says nothing about whether V is male or female, right?

I always got the impression from dialogue that V considered gender unimportant, so much that when it became a plot point s/he specifically mentioned "Normally I don't pay attention to pronouns." So, how does this attitude fit in with Word of the Giant? (Without making this thread a debate about gender politics, please?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    Trying to stop wild speculation around here is kinda like trying to stop the tide from coming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Guys, we're actually debating over which baseless speculation in the forum is the "correct" baseless speculation.
    Darth Paul avatar courtesy of Zea mays!!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    OK, I still don't 100% understand what "genderqueer" means (because I dropped out of every thread where the issue came up, when the threads became arguments). I do support all orientations and personal choices.

But this answer STILL says nothing about whether V is male or female, right?

I always got the impression from dialogue that V considered gender unimportant, so much that when it became a plot point s/he specifically mentioned "Normally I don't pay attention to pronouns." So, how does this attitude fit in with Word of the Giant? (Without making this thread a debate about gender politics, please?)
    I believe it means that V does not conform to normal genders, and/or does not consider them to be an important facet of their being.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

gen·der·queer
    ˈjendərˌkwi(ə)r/
    noun
    noun: genderqueer; plural noun: genderqueers; noun: gender-queer; plural noun: gender-queers

a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

24. - Top - End - #24

V is

Show

Could I have a quote on this, because that contradicts something he said earlier.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CowardlyPaladin View Post
    Could I have a quote on this, because that contradicts something he said earlier.
    I'm curious, what comment of his does he contradict by that? (Unfortunately I am away from my books at the moment, but I can confirm Rich calls V genderqueer- but I'm sure someone will post the actual quote shortly anyway)

26. - Top - End - #26

Thank you, Keltest and Kish, that clears it up.

Now I just have to deal with MY head canon, in which V knows V's gender, but doesn't care. Although that fits in with Keltest's phrase...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    Trying to stop wild speculation around here is kinda like trying to stop the tide from coming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Guys, we're actually debating over which baseless speculation in the forum is the "correct" baseless speculation.
    Darth Paul avatar courtesy of Zea mays!!

27. - Top - End - #27

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Thank you, Keltest and Kish, that clears it up.

Now I just have to deal with MY head canon, in which V knows V's gender, but doesn't care. Although that fits in with Keltest's phrase...
    Essentially, yes. V knows whether xhe is biologically male or female, and xhe doesn't think it's important.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

Don't worry. You'll keep me safe.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Essentially, yes. V knows whether xhe is biologically male or female, and xhe doesn't think it's important.
    Which brings us to the question: why do we think it's important?

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the OOTS forums.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    Which brings us to the question: why do we think it's important?

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the OOTS forums.
    Perhaps because we can consider something to be important contrary to what a fictional character thinks is important?
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously. Both V and Inky are kept sexually ambiguous as part of the joke, and opening the possibility of a same sex marriage by revealing the kids are adopted is just another layer to add on.
    New World: What's it about? Fencing Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lot's of Bad Men. Lot's of Good Men., Two or Three Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles and a Little Sex. In short, it's about Pokemon.here