My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Sane Magic Item Prices

Quote Originally Posted by gzimmer View Post
    I ALSO just registered to thank you for this work! Also, I'm working on a windows program that will automatically randomly generate item shop inventories and was wondering if you wouldn't mind me using your price list for it. I can't post links but it's on github under username garylzimmer and the project is called Magic Shop.
    Go for it, as far as I'm concerned anyone can use these for any reason.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

these almost all seem ether too high for the simpler items or too low for the very rare to legendary to me, except legendary items(excluding the instruments of the bards which seem super high considering only bards can use them).
    the list only seems to take into account what the item could do, and not who can use it, which certainly is better then how the dmg is set up. but an item only usable by one class should probably be a bit cheaper then the equivalent that anyone can use. instruments of the bards are cool and give some good stuff, but only a bard can use it. it gives some useful once per day free spells to a class that is kinda meant to burn threw spell slots like candy. of course this argument is made invalid with the inclusion of min/maxed multiclassing, or thief rouge(which to be honest is there whole thing)

but my experience with this is limited, i don't use it in my games, but i do have a gm who uses this, but dont know how well its actually playing out. we have only bought 1 magic item. he constantly reminds us we can buy them, but the most money iv'e ever had was 1800 gold, and that was from looting a kings corps and selling his stuff... then immediately got robed on my way to buy full plate.... i was level 11.
    but thats more gm's thing, not the lists

6. - Top - End - #66

Beholder

This is absolutely wonderful, thank you.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I think you're overvaluing the Broom of Flying compared to the Wings. The wings leave your hands free, the broom should take at least one of your hands to steady yourself (so no bows, no reloading crossbows) and both of your legs are tied down too. You're not going to "fall off of" the wings, but the broom seems like a flying death trap just waiting for you to get knocked/pulled off the first time you fight with it.

Also the broom seems annoying to carry around.

The broom has longer flight time, but that's it. I'd put them equal price.

Also, I think some flight options for low level players is a must. Casters are going to get into the air by level 5, it's just the melee guys suffering if flight is hard for everyone else. Boots of Fly with a duration of 1m per day or something.
    Last edited by Unahim; 2017-08-09 at 12:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

smile Re: Sane Magic Item Prices

In the DMG Errata, the Bag of tricks is fixed so the creatures summoned disappear. Would you be able to make a price for it? It's one of my favorite items.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

A question about Dragon Scale Mail. It's listed as 4000 gold while having better attributes than Armor of Resistance at 6000 gold (plus maybe the cost of the base armor type). Should it really be like that?
    Last edited by futrtrubl; 2017-10-22 at 03:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thank you for this, it has saved me a lot of work for a game where people can pick their own magic items (starting at 8th+ level).

And to save even more work... has anyone done this work for the magic items in the various adventures?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

is the 2 bead necklace of fireballs supposed to be massively more economical than any other option?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

Bag of Holding is in the 101-500 range, here it's 4000? WTF

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Holy cow, thanks for this. I just read the pricing rules in the DMG for the first time and... whoever wrote them should be embarrassed, honestly.

500gp for a Broom of Flying, 50,000gp for a Potion of Flying, and 500,000gp for Sovereign Glue.

I get that their aim was to avoid putting a price tag on everything so that items feel more "magical" and less like things you buy at Walmart, and I respect that goal. They just went about it in a horrible way that, frankly, makes me question the credentials of whoever wrote that chapter of the DMG. Was it ever even proofread by a designer? Did ANYONE do a 2nd pass on it? I could have done a better job pricing items when I was 6 years old.

Anyway, thanks OP, and thanks to whoever made that PDF. You did a far better job than the professional WotC writers did.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

I noticed the belt of giant strength was not on this list I was wondering why

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Grimn View Post
    I noticed the belt of giant strength was not on this list I was wondering why
    Look at the last page of the pdf, it list the items that wont be price and a brief reason why.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The pricing for the RoTPK +1 is WAY too high it’s three times as much as a +2 weapon why is this? The +1 to save dc and attack rolls of spells isn’t that powerful and as I almost exclusively play Warlock as long as your party takes 2 short rests a long rest and has 2 to 4 battles every short rest one more spell slot a long rest is hardly worth three times that of a +2 weapon. Also the wand of the war mage is priced far below it as well and I think the ability to ignore half or three quarters cover can be very useful almost as much as the one spell slot recovery of the RoTPK. Also you have your last RoTPK still a +2 instead of a +3.
    Last edited by DabDaddy51; 2018-07-31 at 04:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DabDaddy51 View Post
    The pricing for the RoTPK +1 is WAY too high it’s three times as much as a +2 weapon why is this? The +1 to save dc and attack rolls of spells isn’t that powerful and as I almost exclusively play Warlock as long as your party takes 2 short rests a long rest and has 2 to 4 battles every short rest one more spell slot a long rest is hardly worth three times that of a +2 weapon. Also the wand of the war mage is priced far below it as well and I think the ability to ignore half or three quarters cover can be very useful almost as much as the one spell slot recovery of the RoTPK. Also you have your last RoTPK still a +2 instead of a +3.
    +1 DC is more valuable than +1 to-hit.

Attack rolls do, pretty much universally, damage. Saves can be much worse.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    +1 DC is more valuable than +1 to-hit.

Attack rolls do, pretty much universally, damage. Saves can be much worse.
    You seem to be implying that using your action for a spell with a save is always superior to attacking.

A +1 to hit and a +1 to save DC both increase the probability that an action will actually do stuff by 5%. Seems very similar to me.
    Last edited by Merudo; 2018-09-21 at 02:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
    You seem to be implying that using your action for a spell with a save is always superior to attacking.

A +1 to hit and a +1 to save DC both increase the probability that an action will actually do stuff by 5%. Seems very similar to me.
    In general? A save is superior to an attack roll.

Which is worse, getting hit twice (5th level martial class using their turn to attack you) or getting Paralyzed (2nd level spell, Hold Person).

If the only spells were cantrips, I'd agree they'd be equal. But there are a lot more than cantrips.

Edit: In addition, it's much more possible to target weak attributes with saves. Enemies have one AC, but they have six saves. Hit someone who has a -1 to Wisdom saves with a DC 20 Hold Person and they just... Stop functioning for a minute. Which is more than a full combat.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-09-21 at 06:10 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Question Re: Sane Magic Item Prices

Aloha,
    Has anyone already converted these prices into a FantasyGrounds mod? Or has a mod that makes magic shops using this pricing?
    I don't want to do a lot of work on this if it has already been done.

thanks

21. - Top - End - #81

RedWizardGuy

I've given it some thoughts and I came to the conclusion that one relatively inexpensive item stands out in the list: the Dancing Sword.

Dancing Sword is essentially a Spiritual Weapon that scales off str/dex instead of wis, except it is available to every class and doesn't take a spell slot. If said Dancing Sword is a Greatsword, the damage is better than Spiritual Weapon.

At 2000 gold it makes Polearm Mastery, a feat traditionally seen as OP, obsolete. Why spend a feat to do 1d8 for the main attacks & 1d4 damage as a bonus action when you can spend 2000 gold instead and do 2d6 for both the main attack & the bonus action? Plus, contrarily to PAM, you can still use your bonus action to attack even if you use your action for something else.
    Last edited by Merudo; 2019-02-12 at 02:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Is the Sentinel Shield a typo? Why does advantage on perception and initiative, having to attune to a shield which not everyone can use, cost less than resistance to all nonmagical damage?

23. - Top - End - #83

RedWizardGuy

I've noticed that one item, "Shield Guardian", is not priced.

It's a very common magical item though, and can be found in most published WotC adventures.

How valuable do you think the Shield Guardian is?
    Last edited by Merudo; 2019-04-04 at 11:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Has there been an update to include magical items from the newer books?

25. - Top - End - #85

PaladinGuy

I don't mind this necro. Thanks for bringing this to my attention <3

Spoiler
    Show
    This still needs to be put into perspective with assumed gold per player per level, since that tends to vary a lot between campaigns. I think most of us using Treasure Hoards have realized that cutting the coins and just using the gems/arts is the way to go for figuring it out.
    Being able to compare assumed gold and personal goldgives a DM an opportunity to increase/decrease the prices based on the percentage difference between his loot system and the assumed one.

Is there anyone here we trust to continue this work. I feel like although this is an endless project, it is one the community desperately needs :/
    I might have the time and the love for comparing numbers, but my lack of experience with the system rules me out. Is there anyone who qualifies?

I'd personally pay for this being updated and used for a revised Magic Item Tables A-I

26. - Top - End - #86
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

The Fullmetal Mod: Thread necromancy is a forbidden art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature