New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside Out

1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: Inside Out: Oh my god

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    As someone who has struggled with clinical depression my whole life, this movie really spoke to me. And it really helped my girlfriend, too, in giving her a better idea of what depression is like. We had a great discussion afterward about the whole thing, and I think she understands me better as a result.

And I'm glad to know an entire generation of children may walk away with the message that it's okay to be sad and that repressing it is unhealthy.

And it made me cry several times. But then again, to be fair, I cry at movies a lot. But in this instance, I was prepared and brought some pocket tissue with me.
    That's a great outlook on it!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Inside Out

Lava made me wonder if this was really Pixar at work. It was a ditty with some images attached. Think about how many Pixar shorts worked without any dialogue at all, and think about how pointless this one would have been without the song. Meh.

No such worries about the movie proper, though.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I have 2 kids, 4 and 2. Our first family film was Home a few weeks (months?) ago. Kids loved it.

Figured Inside Out would be a hit. It wasn't. *I* really liked it, cried during the Bing Bong scene (I'm a little emotional for a guy maybe, but don't cry often during movies).
    Well, to be frank, given the subject i doubt it would sit all that well with kids under 6-7, as the story is quite heavy and the jokes are quite abstract

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Well, to be frank, given the subject i doubt it would sit all that well with kids under 6-7, as the story is quite heavy and the jokes are quite abstract
    Yup, didn't know what I was getting into.

Hopefully the next animated movie to come out will be more enthralling in the eyes of a toddler.

But really... I was quite surprised they did so well in Home.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Spoiler: Joy as central
    Show
    One thing I noticed is that in other people, Joy wasn't the leader. Can't remember the dad, but for Mom it was Sadness in the captain's chair. I felt that emphasized that, you know, people are different, and find different emotional dynamics.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but be fascinated by the idea that different people have different Firstborn emotions, and that it fundamentally shapes them just like Joy being the primary emotion for so long set up the entire conflict.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    Uh... yeah! Solid film. Probably the first genuinely good thing Pixar has put out since Ratatouille. Yes, I am including those three films. My inbox is open, go nuts.
    I'm not sure which 'three films' you're referring to, but I hope UP is one: their first movie shot in 3D, but with nothing but one-dimensional characters.

Anyway. I felt Inside Out was great. I even liked Bing Bong, but probably only because of the voice actor. Richard Kind could be reading off random fast-food menus and I'd probably still listen.

There have been at least three foster kids pass through my household that I think would really benefit from seeing Inside Out. Towards the end of their placements, they had some strongly conflicting emotions and it was clear that they did not know how to handle them. Plus, holy memory-balls, did Sadness strike a solid chord with me. Some days, that's exactly what it seems like is going on in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    I'm not sure which 'three films' you're referring to, but I hope UP is one: their first movie shot in 3D, but with nothing but one-dimensional characters.
    Almost certainly Up, Toy Story 3, and Wall-E.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Just saw it today with the wife and kids. It was alright, not my favorite Pixar film though, not even close. I struggle to see where some people(both on here, other forums, and a few people in RL) that say it deals with depression and mental illness, I honestly didn't get that vibe at ALL. To me it was just a way of showing how all emotions are important in order to be a healthy, well-rounded individual, how no-one is capable of being "joyous" all the time.

Still, a decent film, if not quite as emotionally touching as I was expecting going in. The only scene that particularly gripped my heart-strings was the Bing-Bong scene. If I'm being honest(I don't know if all theaters did this or not) the little animated short before the movie with the two volcanoes made me much more sad then anything in the entire movie.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Just saw it today with the wife and kids. It was alright, not my favorite Pixar film though, not even close. I struggle to see where some people(both on here, other forums, and a few people in RL) that say it deals with depression and mental illness, I honestly didn't get that vibe at ALL. To me it was just a way of showing how all emotions are important in order to be a healthy, well-rounded individual, how no-one is capable of being "joyous" all the time.
    Locked out of the "control panel" unable to feel. Turning to self-destructive actions in the hope that you'll feel something again.

It's not a fun place to be, mentally.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Locked out of the "control panel" unable to feel. Turning to self-destructive actions in the hope that you'll feel something again.

It's not a fun place to be, mentally.
    Yes, but they got locked out because Joy believed that she was the only necessary emotion and flipped out when Sadness started to step up and take a more active role. Hence my opinion that the film was more about being open to all your emotions and allowing them all to show through, and not bottling stuff up until you explode.

And before anyone jumps on me and says "You just don't understand", I do. I was diagnoed as Bipolar when I was 18(15 years ago), have taken medication since, and have attempted suicide due to severe depression on 3 separate occasions including taking 62 pills(Luckily enough I just ended up vomiting them all back up within an hour). So I know full well how it feels to not be in full control of my emotions, and I still don't think this film particularly represents that idea.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

The two points aren't mutually exclusive. The perspective Inside Out takes might be more particularly described as the importance of emotional congruence to mental health. Sadness (or anger, or fear, or shame, etc.) that is denied expression and catharsis can lead to depression, because suppression of emotional affect is not selective. To cite a source closer to home, "Emotions are tricky. You can't really sort out the ones you want from the ones you don't."

The movie shows this through a clear series of developments--from the repression of sadness, to the muting of joy, to the loss of identity and, ultimately, the inability to feel emotions at all (the control panel turning black and unresponsive in the run-up to the climax, as huttj pointed out). Insofar as there's misrepresentation of this emotional arc, it's that the resolution is usually nowhere near that clean--but the movie has to reach a conclusion, unlike real-life mental health struggles.

I wouldn't claim that this arc will resonate with everyone who has experienced depression, because of course it won't. But it's a fairly good representation of a known pattern.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-07-08 at 02:00 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

I liked the movie, it's rather good, but there were some bad things and plot holes nonetheless.

- I'm not really fan of the idea that some internal conflict between emotions is driving the person. The concept seems... Inside out! Joy is alone at first, how does Sadness appear 33 seconds later to make Riley sad before Riley being sad? In the same idea, fading memories are sent to the dump, but memories sent to the dump shouldn't be fading because of that.
    - I think that Joy was quite despicable. Kind of a dictator. Ok, the movie may be about her growing and understanding the importance of others, but it's unclear since she's NEVER put down by anyone. She's always the hero.
    - The idea of living 11 years before discovering mixed feelings is a whole concept.
    - So Joy is famous and stuff, but can never ask someone else than Bing Bong for help in a crisis scenario? She even have to be sent to "jail", she can't ask to enter... (how did Bing Bong managed to be captured by the clown before his rest being only five minutes alone?)
    - Joy and Sadness are shown quite early how stored memories are sent to headquarters. Why can't they send the core memories that way to at least try to restore the islands? Joy isn't even afraid of Fear, Anger and Digust to touch them, only afraid of Sadness.
    - Same trick is using twice to prevent Joy to go to HQ. When in the train, the destruction of an island destroy the railroad and kills the day (no more train? Really? Railroad is created when the train is moving, put in back on wheels and go!). And same thing happens when Joy goes in the tube...
    - It's surprising that Sadness can corrupt ANY memory by touching it. In the end we discover what I think is Melancholia as a mix of Joy and Sadness, but other memories become entirely sad?!
    - So the way to go out of depression was... Sadness? Isn't Riley overwhelmed by that already?
    - The mom's emotion are females, the father's emotions are male. Why are Riley's ones mixed? Or why aren't theirs mixed? It's probably a good thing not to qualify an emotion as specifically male or female, but are we giving male traits to Riley here? 'cause Hokey is a boy thing y'know. Maybe I'm reading too much here.

The inside of the father's head during the family dinner was pure gold. Also the bubble gum commercial.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    - I'm not really fan of the idea that some internal conflict between emotions is driving the person. The concept seems... Inside out! Joy is alone at first, how does Sadness appear 33 seconds later to make Riley sad before Riley being sad? In the same idea, fading memories are sent to the dump, but memories sent to the dump shouldn't be fading because of that.
    Is what we see in Riley's head driving her emotions and memories, or a representation of her emotions and memories? Bit of a chicken-egg problem.

- So the way to go out of depression was... Sadness? Isn't Riley overwhelmed by that already?
    Riley is overwhelmed by the experience of repressing her emotions out of a desire to not be sad. The movie solves this by giving Riley the opportunity to experience cathartic sadness. This is not the only way to deal with depression, nor is it a universal solution to all kinds of depression, but it had good reason to work for Riley in this story.

- The mom's emotion are females, the father's emotions are male. Why are Riley's ones mixed? Or why aren't theirs mixed? It's probably a good thing not to qualify an emotion as specifically male or female, but are we giving male traits to Riley here? 'cause Hokey is a boy thing y'know. Maybe I'm reading too much here.
    The reasons for that are largely driven by narrrative/casting expediency, rather than a desire to represent Riley's mixed-gender state as special. Which is not to say that we can't offer reasons why Riley might have mixed-gender emotions while other (mostly older) characters have same-gender emotions:
    • Maybe it represents children being less gender-differentiated before puberty.
    • Maybe it represents children having emotions that are more raw and less colored by their individual personality.
    • Maybe it represents Riley being genderqueer.

Side note: In Minnesota in particular, youth ice hockey is nearly as popular among girls as boys; ~250 high schools in Minnesota have girls' ice hockey teams, compared to 275 for boys. So it's a regional thing more than a gender thing.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-07-08 at 12:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Uh... yeah! Solid film. Probably the first genuinely good thing Pixar has put out since Ratatouille. Yes, I am including those three films. My inbox is open, go nuts.
    I'm not sure to what movies you're exactly referring.
    After Ratatouille, there were: Wall-e, Up, Toy story 3, Cars 2, Brave and Monster University. Before going nuts, we need to know on what we must fight!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Riley is overwhelmed by the experience of repressing her emotions out of a desire to not be sad. The movie solves this by giving Riley the opportunity to experience cathartic sadness. This is not the only way to deal with depression, nor is it a universal solution to all kinds of depression, but it had good reason to work for Riley in this story.
    Not only that, but Sadness is the only way to get her to go back home. Fear, Anger, and Disgust isn't going to keep her from running away -- an act which would tear down the last of her islands and leave her unable to feel anything at all. It's only Sadness making her miss her family rather than the memories she holds of Minnesota that causes her to turn around.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    IMO Lava doesn't deserve anything more than a resounding 'meh'
    This. I enjoyed the overall film, but the short felt like someone realized that lava, sort of kind of sounds like the word love, and phoned it in from there.

Overall film I'd give maybe 7/10. Enjoyable enough, but don't particularly feel a need to rewatch over and over or anything.

As for Hockey being a "boy thing", I'd say that Hockey is more of a Minnesota thing. I'm from there, and frigging everyone plays hockey as a youngster.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Full Concurrence, with the single addendum that it's not so much a desire not to be sad, but a desire to live up to her parent's desire for her to be a trooper. On TVTropes, there is a page called Adult Fear. I won't link to it out of sincere value for other people's time. But one of the biggest adult fears for any parent is the idea that something small and innocuous that you say and do could end up really damaging your child. As damaging statements go, commending your child for keeping on his game face purely because it makes your family's life smoother was a doozy. And yet, it was also clear that her parents were really caring and loving, and that the resulting damage was completely unintentional.

I have to say that while I can't think of an animated feature that doesn't work on two levels for both children and adults, this one may be the most adult-centric "children's" animated feature I've ever seen. The jokes were there for children and parents, but man, did the heavy points really hit adults right where they live.

18. - Top - End - #48

So, yeah, watched it a couple of times since then.

In one of the most dismally awful years for cinema in recent memory it's a needed bright spot.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I'm not sure to what movies you're exactly referring.
    After Ratatouille, there were: Wall-e, Up, Toy story 3, Cars 2, Brave and Monster University. Before going nuts, we need to know on what we must fight!
    Cars 2 and Monster University are givens, since I haven't yet heard anyone say anything nice about them. Personally, I'd add Toy Story 3, since it didn't really do anything not previously covered (mostly by Toy Story 1).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Cars 2 and Monster University are givens, since I haven't yet heard anyone say anything nice about them. Personally, I'd add Toy Story 3, since it didn't really do anything not previously covered (mostly by Toy Story 1).
    Turn it around--Yung Crunk wouldn't be defensive about panning Cars 2 and MU, since everyone agrees they're terrible. Toy Story 3 was one of three animated Best Picture nominees ever, so that's one of them, supposed unoriginality aside. Up was another. For the third, Wall-E is more hyped than Brave, hence more likely to be the object of hype backlash.

Could be wrong, of course.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Turn it around--Yung Crunk wouldn't be defensive about panning Cars 2 and MU, since everyone agrees they're terrible. Toy Story 3 was one of three animated Best Picture nominees ever, so that's one of them, supposed unoriginality aside. Up was another. For the third, Wall-E is more hyped than Brave, hence more likely to be the object of hype backlash.

Of all these movies, the one I save is Up.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    On TVTropes, there is a page called Adult Fear. I won't link to it out of sincere value for other people's time. But one of the biggest adult fears for any parent is the idea that something small and innocuous that you say and do could end up really damaging your child.
    Please, for the sake of sanity, do not get your parenting or psychological advice from TVTropes. That's just horrifying.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Lava was kinda cute but meh.

The movie, though. Wow. It worked on so many levels, down to the visual storytelling--there's tons and tons of little details and concepts bouncing around that all fit together perfectly, and the way they used an anthropomorphized psyche was phenomenal. The concept may not be new, but the execution was spot-on. I loved that they took a really simple story and then made a story out of giving you the subtext behind it.

There were maybe one or two misstep moments where the movie didn't swing fully through on its metaphor (using a tower of not-Biebers to vault off of Family Island into HQ...what even is that supposed to mean?), but the important things? Slam dunk.

And yeah--the core message? So important.

Spoiler: That character
    Show
    I thought the imaginary friend subplot was on-point. It was a great way to talk about moving on from childhood, and I think he was intentionally awkward and out-of-place. You could tell from the get-go that there was no place for him in HQ. Riley's grown up.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

24. - Top - End - #54

I never had imaginary friends and I always wondered if it was a real thing.

@Lethologica: The casting thing is interesting, thanks.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Also, something that amused me
    Show
    When the Train of Thought got lost in the chasm.

I'm pretty sure that was an intentional (but subtle) gag.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

26. - Top - End - #56

Toy Story 3 was one of three animated Best Picture nominees ever, so that's one of them, supposed unoriginality aside. Up was another. For the third, Wall-E is more hyped than Brave, hence more likely to be the object of hype backlash.
    Wall-E got me with their soundtrack. I'm fairly certain that I could just close my eyes and listen to the movie and like it just as well as I did. The backgrounds were also pretty amazing, enough so that I was willing to overlook any other shortcomings.

Up? Wow. I have not one positive thing to say about that one, though. Maybe just the opening tragedy. It seemed deep and emotionally charged. But everything after that? I'm sorry. I found it to be bland, predictable, uninspired... and the 'bad guy' was murdering people and putting their heads onto pikes because his peers dismissed a single discovery? What the...?

Has anyone else noticed that Pixar seems to do their best, anyway, when they don't have any real villains? Incredibles aside, Bad Guys like Sid from Toy Story, Chick Hicks from the first Cars movie, or various threats from Finding Nemo are just minor obstacles to overcome. The real conflicts in their better scripts seem to involve personal growth rather than punching someone in the face.

27. - Top - End - #57

You are not

Spoiler: Just my opinion, yall
    Show
    Wall-E was too noxiously twee and doggedly contrived to offer up a moment of genuine substance or honesty, and its hammy and heavy handed third act was so farcical I'm almost convinced it was a social experiment to test the public's tolerance for ****.

Where Wall-E's forced emotional set pieces were exasperating, Up's were hilarious. The kind of lumbering sentimentality that, from its sticky carapace, births The Care Bears and Friendship is Magic. When your emotional moments are edited in such a way as to evoke "Man, it's been a while since I watched a daytime soap, I wonder if they're still ridiculous" you have a problem.

I liked Toy Story but I'm resentful of any sequel that wants to access my heart via my nostalgia rather than, y'know, being a good story well told. The first one worked because it was just that. A really solid script with strong fundamentals and a lot of heart. Toy Story 3 is what suit & tie wearing robots who run on money think "earnestness" is and their attempts to emulate our emotions range from boring (Lotso's backstory) to the most unintentionally hilarious wash put to celluloid (that ****ing trash compactor bit, holy wow, I've seen episodes of Home Improvement with more dignity and self awareness) since, well, Up

28. - Top - End - #58

Spoiler: Just my opinion, yall
    Show
    When your emotional moments are edited in such a way as to evoke "Man, it's been a while since I watched a daytime soap, I wonder if they're still ridiculous" you have a problem.
    Okay. But what about when ALL of your moments are edited in such a way as to evoke "Man, it's been a while since I watched a Road Runner cartoon. I wonder if they're still as insipid and predictable as I remember from the age of seven.

That, in my opinion, was a much bigger problem. And I still stand by WALL-E's soundtrack. Great music, great sound effects, and no squeaky dogs.
    Last edited by Fragenstein; 2015-07-09 at 11:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Can't say I remember any highlights from that score. Care to link the ones that tickled your coccyx?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

The kind of lumbering sentimentality that, from its sticky carapace, births The Care Bears and Friendship is Magic.
    This line, for whatever reason, had me laughing helplessly for a good 42 seconds straight.

I need to get some sleep...
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark