New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Spheres of Power Kingmaker IC

The road from New Stetven to the Greenbelt is not a long one, but it is long enough for you to get to know those you travel besides quite well. The three of you, each for reasons of your own, spoke to an administrator of the Dragonscale Throne about aiding in the reclamation of the Stolen Lands. Each of you agreed to the terms provided and was issued a copy of the charter under which you would be operating, and each of you was hurried down to the road out of town alongside two other suspicious looking strangers. You are informed that a fourth member will be joining you en route after some screening, given a pack of supplies and set on your way, the bureaucrat responsible for your interviews clearly wanting to be done with you as soon as is possible.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Kingmaker IC

Sigmund looked at the gnome and the female he was supposed to work with, and, out of formality, decided to say: "Greetings. I am Sigmund Gulbrand, a Knight of the Black Thorn. Your names would be?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Professor Ranborg Nimblesong, The Master of Reality

The gnome looks up from a book about half the size of his torso.
    Ranborg Nimblesong, Professor of theoretical magiphysics.
    He bows floridly before returning to his book.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The girl seemed... distracted, at best. And clearly uncomfortable, every bump of the wagon carrying the group leading to a wince or a start. But she was pretty, if so fair-skinned as to be almost translucent. And there was an air of something ethereal about her...

"Uh, Lydia," she said, looking more through Sigmund than at him, "of House Lebeda. Pleasure to meet you."

The wagon hit a particularly deep divot in the road and Lydia gripped the seat for dear life, as if she could be thrown from the vehicle at any moment.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Professor Ranborg Nimblesong, the Master of Reality

Professor Ranborg looks up from his book.
    "You, Lebeda girl! What is all that shifting in the air around you? And if possible, can you please make it stop? It is very distracting."
    He sounds every inch the irritated professor he is. Aside from the piping voice that comes with being the size of a footstool.
    Last edited by Vhaidara; 2015-06-30 at 03:27 PM.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Sigmund looks at the two in confusion, unsure to whether he should ask the professor to defer to Lydia with the courtesy fitting of her birth (although he wouldn't ask the same for himself, given his family's current status), or to chastise the woman for disturbing the teacher. He vaguely recalls physics being about the study of the fundamental laws of the world, and after all, it's a most lawful purpose to find order in nature and to impart said knowledge afterwards.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A pleasantly cool breeze picks up from behind the travelers, a deep voice belting a song terribly off-key with en enthusiasm seldom encountered outside a tavern on the more boisterous holidays.

"Down west sinks the Sun: soon you will be groping.
    When the night-shadows fall, then the door will open,
    Out of the window-panes light will twinkle yellow.
    Fear no alder black! Heed no hoary willow!
    Fear neither root nor bough! Tom goes on before you.
    Hey now! merry dol! We'll be waiting for you!"

A large man atop a weary horse gives a wave, then trots closer. Sunshine and cool breeze follow him. His voice booms out as he nears, "Hello there! Haha! Jon Donner's the name and I think you are my party! Unlikely to be on this road else, eh? Hello hello! Apple anyone?" He produces a deep red apple from one of the many pockets of his faded blue coat. Wide brim hat shades his face, while a bushy beard jutting out does the same for his torso. He wears a friendly smile on a warm is common face. "Early in the season, I know, but I can't bear a long ride without a few apples. So, who are we all then, afraid I missed introductions?!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lydia's startled by the gnome's pointed request, and several wisp-like creatures appear floating around her.

"You can see them? I asked them to hide, I'm sorry they disturbed you. They're my friends."

Then Jon comes trotting up. She takes the offered apple.

"Thank you. I'm Lydia, second daughter of House Lebeda."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The Professor's book snaps shut as the woman replies.
    Fascinating. Friends, you say? What are they? When did they begin to manifest? Are they simply these formless wisps, or do they have proper substance?
    He looks over as Donner approaches.
    Not a bad tune, but you seem to be missing your rhyme scheme. I can see it in places, but on the whole, it was poorly constructed to that end.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"A high-borne lady? Well, here I am without my good coat...I guess it is my good coat since I don't have another, ha! Pleased to meet you Lady Lydia." he gives an exaggerated bow, almost falling from his horse.

"Rhythm? Ha, the birds of the sky don't study their notes and neither do I. I sing to feel the warm sun and the cool breeze, for the taste of an apple and the scent of a flower. Way it ought to be, I figure, no fuss about notes and meter or whatnot."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sigmund Gulbrand, Knight of the Black Thorn, and I must agree with the professor. A good song should have proper rhythm and structure. Birds may be able to do it instinctively, but they don't use words in their songs."
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2015-07-01 at 01:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"O-oh," begins Lydia, clearly surprised at anyone showing an interest. She points at one of the wisps.

"Well that's Thomas, who drowned. He's kind of shy, I think he likes Martha," she indicates another wisp, "but Martha's still pining for her soldier who died at war. Her broken heart killed her, she says. To her left is Bartholomew, who thinks that's all silly, and was kicked in the head by a mule. Leona swears she was poisoned by her spiteful mother-in-law. And the little one there is William, who doesn't believe he's even here and says this is all just a hallucination as he experiences brain death."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well, clearly the newcomer was a hippie and the knight was a fanatic. The Lebeda girl, however, she seemed interesting.
    Spirits of the dead then? Interesting. I never had much time to do any research at the College of Applied Necromancy. What of my other questions? When did they begin to manifest, and o they have a more substantial form?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh they've been here as long as I can remember. Sometimes they leave, I guess when they're ready for the afterlife. But new people always come sooner or later. And no, they don't get any more substantial than this."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Jon gives Lydia a smile. "Hoho, there are indeed many spirits in this world. The spirits of nature hear my songs and words, heeding my call. Just have to know how to ask. They don't seem to mind my singing either." He gives glance at the darksome knight before singing out,

"Hey now, ho now,
    the high sun is shining,
    Blow now, go now,
    Don't wait for coolness pining!"

The air swirls in a circle, just apart from the wagon and riders, temperature dropping ten degrees in a moment. "They like my voice just fine." He smiles as the weather suddenly dissipates.

16. - Top - End - #16

Goblin

After a few day's travel, you come across a small, wooden-walled fort. Those of you who know anything about navigation recognize that you have reached your destination.

The doors are left open, and as you draw close you can smell burning logs and hints of meaty soup when the wind turns towards you.
    Should you enter, you see a middle-aged woman checking a large pot suspended over the fire pit and can hear the sounds of hammering from the roof of one of the buildings(A2). The woman, on hearing you enter looks up and waves amiably at the group.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Sigmund leaves the wagon and waves back at the woman, saying: "Greetings, madame. We are the adventurer group under the orders of the Swordlords."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Hoho, our destination! The traders speak well of Oleg's, though I have not met him myself. The scent is certainly promising." Jon pats his ample belly in anticipation.

19. - Top - End - #19

Goblin

"Oleg, they're here! Yes, we were told to expect you. Come, come, the soup is almost ready."
    After a few moments, you hear some bustling from the roof, and a wiry middle-aged man climbs down off of it. With his feet on the ground he eyes the lot of you appraisingly.
    "So you're the ones who'll be taking care of the bandits?."
    "Oleg, be polite."
    "I'm not going to kiss their feat for doing their job, Svetlana."
    "Still, no reason to be rude."
    Oleg grumbles something and approaches the fire.
    "Just in time too, might have had to wait another month if you'd been any later."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Rnaborg looks up from the text that has once again engrossed him.
    Why is that? What is a month from now?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #21

Goblin

"Well, the bandits been coming to take our goods each month, they're due again tomorrow."
    "Aye, we've been sending messages back to New Stetven with every trader passing by for weeks now. That is why you're here?."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Sigmund says: "Technically, we've been ordered to explore the Greenbelt in an area of sixty miles south and thirty six miles east and west with this as the reference point, as well as dealing with the banditry there. However, the orders didn't specify whether this post was in our area of jurisdiction. Regardless of that, banditry needs to be eliminated. I will help you deal with them."
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2015-07-03 at 01:54 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Aye, we'll run the blighters off. How many usually come? They all come in the walls, or do some stay outside?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"Um," begins Lydia, "I've never fought bandits before but... me and my friends should be able to help!"

25. - Top - End - #25

Goblin

Oleg's face reddens as Sigmund speaks and he looks like he's about to start shouting when the man suddenly shifts direction and states his intent to help.
    "Hmph. Good. Wouldn't do to lose the only outpost in the area."
    "Thank you so much. There were a dozen of them the first time they came."
    Svetlana brings her hands together in front of her, seeming to be reaching for a ring which you notice is not actually on her hand. Oleg puts an arm around her shoulders.
    "But there were less each time since. Only five last time.."
    "Most of them came in, they only left two outside to watch the horses last time. Two came in and loaded up our goods while that man with the big bow shouted at them."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Ranborg looks around at the layout of the trading post, analyzing it for strategic value.
    Hm. So, going on existing patterns, we will have, at most, two men outside, and two men inside, plus the "man with a big bow". With the three of you, that gives them the probable advantage of numbers, and only Ser Gulbrand seems to have any significant amount of combat experience. My personal recommendation, therefore, would be to attempt to construct and ambush scenario, in which we can accomplish several primary goals at once. First, we want to cut the men outside off from their comrades within, while preventing them from fleeing to retrieve additional forces. Second, we will want to close with this archer so as to neutralize his primary advantage.
    He examines his companions.
    Mr Donner, Ms Lebeda, I suggest that the two of you pose as simple travelers. If those spirits can be convinced to stay hidden, the guise is likely to work well enough. Meanwhile, Ser Gulbrand can conceal himself within that wagon. A signal can be given when the archer is within range of him, and he can reveal himself, springing the trap.
    He glances up at the gates.
    Mr. Oleg, how quickly can you close those gates? And how much effort is involved in the process? I suspect my position would best be atop the walls, far from harm where I can direct events as they proceed. However, if operating the gates requires any great feat of strength, I fear that I will be unable to complete that task, owing to my notable lack of physique.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Knowledge (Engineering) to analyze the trading post: (1d20+9)[19]

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Sigmund nods and, being in a safe location, starts to remove his armor with the intention of cleaning his battle gear with the free time he has.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"Bit of fog could help us stay safe from view when they enter. I could whip up a big enough storm, maybe even get one of them with some lightening too, though I need warning to work it. Anywhere that has plants I can convince them to help out. Tonight I will make sure there are enough plants on either side of the gate to grasp any bandits. Trees work too. Anywhere you fancy a nice apple tree right around the gate? Anyhow, anything I do will require my full attention, so bluffing and posing is likely out before it starts if I have to call up a storm."
    Last edited by stack; 2015-07-06 at 11:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Goblin

"Well, we've mostly just been sticking a shoulder to the gates when we need to move them. So the walls may not work out."

Spoiler: Ranborg
    Show
    You recognize the design of the doors. There really should be a counterweight system hooked up to them to make them easy enough to open or close that you could route the work through a lever, and the mounts needed for that do seem to still be intact. With someone to do the manual labor you should be able to fix that fairly easily.

30. - Top - End - #30

Goblin

You spend the rest of the day making preparations, Ranborg fixing up the gates, Donner growing enough minor plantlife around the edges of the yard to make his abilities useful and Sigmund tending to his armor. You are invited to stay in the guesthouse(A2), and fed well, courtesy of the house. Oleg has some supplies on hand. he has some basic weapons that he's willing to loan out, crossbows and javelins and the like, if anyone requests one, among less militant goods.
    You can see riders approaching out of the nearby woods about an hour after dawn. Four men on six horses approach the outpost, dismounting just outside of its gates. All four wear leather armor and carry bows and swords, though one of them carries a bow which is of noticeably higher quality than the others, being finely recurved and made of good looking wood. The bandit with the fine bow leads the way inside, and two of the other men lead the pack horses inside while the fourth watches the other horses outside of the gates.

"Oleg, have a good month? Lots of furs?"
    Oleg merely glares at the leader of the bandits and unlocks the storage pens(A4) before standing off to the side. The two bandits leading horses begin loading everything from the pens onto their beasts of burden while the lead bandit keeps talking.
    "Now, don't be that way, Oleg. I just wanted to chat."
    "I have nothing to say to you."
    "Well, maybe we'll have something to say about that before we leave, hey?"