New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Sword cane/ Sword staff character idea

Oriental Adventures has the Shikomizue.
    It is quarterstaff, but then you can draw out a blade and use it as a sword.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

The web enhancement swordcane is a crit x2 18-20 threat weapon. Know what that means? Yep. Crit fisher ahoy.

Improved critical, disciple of dispater (BoVD) with a an aptitude swordcane and lightning maces.

It's 3.0 but you might convince your DM.

While it doesn't do it in one shot, with a 9-20 crit range, you're assured quite a few crits, combine this with 3 levels in rogue (penetrating strike for the Sa immune), craven and those bracers that let you crit the crit Immune, and you're al out set. You just need a top hat of +6 charisma. Dapper.
    Last edited by D4rkh0rus; 2015-07-03 at 03:52 PM.
    <Insert funny quote from another poster here>
    I should probably get a better sig... ><

Hellfire Warlock/Eldritch Disciple:
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Feel the infernal power of POSITIVE ENERGY!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I love the top hat idea it made me chuckle. Though I already have him with more or less a hat like vampire hunter D.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    There is probably a 3.5 swordcane in one of the Dragon Magazines as Paizo lifted many of their non-core weapons from their previous work. I couldn't begin to tell you which one though.

If no one can help you find it, I would suggest just porting back the PF one and replacing the Perception check with a Spot check.

An actual cane would be an improvised weapon I'm fairly sure, unless it was shod or something.

(Or maybe a hanbo?)
    To the first, yes, though issue number eludes me. Something to do with hidden weapons, that could be applied to any weapon.

One of my players wanted to disguise his Huge Greataxe as a prostitute to take to a Ball. He showed me the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D4rkh0rus View Post
    The web enhancement swordcane is a crit x2 18-20 threat weapon. Know what that means? Yep. Crit fisher ahoy.

Improved critical, disciple of dispater (BoVD) with a an aptitude swordcane and lightning maces.

It's 3.0 but you might convince your DM.

While it doesn't do it in one shot, with a 9-20 crit range, you're assured quite a few crits, combine this with 3 levels in rogue (penetrating strike for the Sa immune), craven and those bracers that let you crit the crit Immune, and you're al out set. You just need a top hat of +6 charisma. Dapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by RingofThorns View Post
    I love the top hat idea it made me chuckle. Though I already have him with more or less a hat like vampire hunter D.
    So, if you are going elf, go grey elf (for moar int), make him a factotum and basically be this guy...

Bonu spoints it you go into master of masks afterwards
    Last edited by Socratov; 2015-07-04 at 06:45 AM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Huh. I don't really see why a staff is a real weapon but not a cane. A cane would be easy to wield, is a reasonable shape for a weapon, and is meant to be sturdy.
    A staff is thicker and less likely to break.

Canes are meant to help steady you when you walk. That is not on the same level of sturdiness as needed to survive a heavy whack.

I currently own seven canes. Only two of them are sturdy enough to be used as a weapon. One of these I would classify as a shillelagh, and the other I had custom built. It's a hardwood shaft with a 1" steel d20 on the top.

The other five would likely break if I hit somebody over the head with them. (Of course, two of them have sword blades inside, and one has a dagger.)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    A staff is thicker and less likely to break.

Canes are meant to help steady you when you walk. That is not on the same level of sturdiness as needed to survive a heavy whack.

I currently own seven canes. Only two of them are sturdy enough to be used as a weapon. One of these I would classify as a shillelagh, and the other I had custom built. It's a hardwood shaft with a 1" steel d20 on the top.

The other five would likely break if I hit somebody over the head with them. (Of course, two of them have sword blades inside, and one has a dagger.)
    Small question can you use shillelagh one as wand and sword cane?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Small question can you use shillelagh one as wand and sword cane?
    I'm not sure what you mean by using it as a wand.

If I hollowed it out to make room for a sword blade, it would be much less sturdy. It's an excellent shillelagh now. I have no desire to ruin an excellent shillelagh to create a sword cane, since I already have two or those.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure what you mean by using it as a wand.

If I hollowed it out to make room for a sword blade, it would be much less sturdy. It's an excellent shillelagh now. I have no desire to ruin an excellent shillelagh to create a sword cane, since I already have two or those.
    not the real one buddy. what I mean is in 3.5 use it as wand ( the club portion as magic foci) and sword (cane in the handle part) since he creates wizard this makes it more easy to disguise( as his casting implement) and when they get close enough they got a surprise

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    not the real one buddy. what I mean is in 3.5 use it as wand ( the club portion as magic foci) and sword (cane in the handle part) since he creates wizard this makes it more easy to disguise( as his casting implement) and when they get close enough they got a surprise
    Oh. That's up to your DM. I see no inherent reason that a cane/scabbard couldn't be made into a wand, assuming that it was of masterwork quality.

I wouldn't use a shillelagh for it, though. If I'm trying to disguise a weapon, I wouldn't make it look like a weapon.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

well I dont know what a factotem is, what book is it in? I was figuring on a wood elf because of the dex bonus and go with rogue because of the sneak attack.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

well I dont know what a factotem is, what book is it in? I was figuring on a wood elf because of the dex bonus and go with rogue because of the sneak attack.
    They're rogues, but they're worse at fighting, better at skills, and they get a few spell-like abilities that they can change up each day. A slight upgrade but there are a lot of issues with the class that need to be worked out before it's playable (like a standard-action ability that gives you a standard action). Everyone loves the class on this forum for some reason, but my play experience with it has shown it to be quite unimpressive.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-07-04 at 06:14 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lol so yeah more or less I should just stick with rogue then? any one know any really handy feats for a build like this?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Sword cane = rapier + Disguise skill

IRL, you don't want a sword cane, since it's just a crappy sword in a crappy half-staff. IRL you just use a good solid cane as a weapon. Musashi won half his duels with a wooden sword, after all.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Musashi won a duel with a wooden weapon, that he carved out of a wooden oar.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Musashi won a duel with a wooden weapon, that he carved out of a wooden oar.
    Yes, he did. And people have talked about it, and marveled at it, for years.

We only know about this accomplishment because the deed was so incredible that only the greatest warrior in the world would even attempt it. This is not a model for a new character to emulate.

A cane can be a weapon. It does not equal a sword - as is shown by the fact that no ruler ever armed his army with canes, which are much cheaper than swords.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2015-07-06 at 08:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

A cane can be a weapon. It does not equal a sword - as is shown by the fact that no ruler ever armed his army with canes, which are much cheaper than swords.
    No army except a certain red menace from the north.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Look - isn't this warhammer look kinda like a cane?
    Show

(from the Wikipedia article)
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2015-07-06 at 01:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Look - isn't this warhammer look kinda like a cane?
    Yes, it sort of looks like a cane. But it would fight like a war hammer.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2015-07-06 at 01:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Spoiler: Look - isn't this warhammer look kinda like a cane?
    Show
    Yo, that image is way bigger than the forum rules allow (and spoilered images still load for everyone). If you could switch it to a link to the image, that would be great. If Jay could change his quote to do the same that would be great.

Regardless, yeah. That's a d8 of bludgeoning if I've ever seen one. It'll act like a warhammer regardless of how cane-like it may be shaped.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Yo, that image is way bigger than the forum rules allow (and spoilered images still load for everyone).
    Sorry!
    Now it's 259 × 768.
    Is it OK?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes I agree the whole plan for this is that my character fights with the cane sword as he doesnt fully need the cane. The whole thing with the cane is to make him look more harmless and less threatening.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The Factorum is an Int-based skill monkey/stealthy charactrer from Dungeonscape. The class schtick is that it able to emulate most of the class abilities of every core base class in DnD. They get a number of 'Inspiration Points" every encounter that power the factorum abilities (2@ 1st level, to 10 at 20th) -- powers include Int to Attack, Damage, or Saving throw rolls (1 point), Class level to skill checks (1 point), Int to AC as a dodge bonus for 1 opponent&1 round (1 point -- eventually always on and free), a die of sneak attack damage (1 point, one attack), ability to turn undead or spontaneously heal (1 point, max of 5+wis per day, at 20th), get an extra standard action (3 points, broken as it takes a standard action, RAW, to use), ignore a target's SR and DR for 1 round (2 points), once a day to avoid death/disablement from damage (4 points), and 3 times a day replicate any extraordinary (Ex) class ability (4 points).

They also get up to 8 spells from the wiz/sorc list (none with XP cost) per day (Maximum of 1 7th level and 7 6th level at 20th) as Spell Like Abilities, and their Int to Str and Dex-checks and skills based on those abilities, trapfinding, and all skills are class skills.

Factorums have amazing flexibility. Pick up the right feats to take advantage of them, pick your spells carefully, and pick your battles, and the class is amazing. Usually, the class is the Duct Tape of class choices -- It is never the number one choice for any specific task (even taping Ducts), but in the hands of a master, it is good at almost every task you can throw it at.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

And I proceeded to lose my narrative thread.

Complete Scoundrel has a bunch of hidden/surprise weapons (CSc 109), including hiding blades in musical instruments, boots, elbows, and knees. None are specifically sword canes (which struck me as odd, as it seemed the right place for it), but some options and ideas.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

About the complete scoundrel yeah I looked through it and was surprised as well they had no sword canes. As for factotems the only thing I want from there is the ac bonus but for that I can dip into swashbuckler.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marphod View Post
    And I proceeded to lose my narrative thread.

Complete Scoundrel has a bunch of hidden/surprise weapons (CSc 109), including hiding blades in musical instruments, boots, elbows, and knees. None are specifically sword canes (which struck me as odd, as it seemed the right place for it), but some options and ideas.
    I've never seen a reference to a sword-cane in a society in which people routinely carry weapons openly. Sword-canes exists when most people are unarmed, and an armed person doesn't wish to call attention to his oddity.

Particularly in medieval and Renaissance Europe, in which carrying a sword was a status symbol, sword canes don't seem to have existed.

Since D&D is still (though less than originally) based on Europe of those periods), it's not that surprising that they didn't include one.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Since D&D is still (though less than originally) based on Europe of those periods), it's not that surprising that they didn't include one.
    DnD was based on a middle-age Europe with East-Asian Monks, apparent access Arc Furnaces (with all the high-quality steel products even in low magic areas/games), and "New World" agricultural products as the mainstay of economies.

The setting is an amalgam of so many distinct semi-historical settings, that 'it isn't historical' is a poor argument as to why something is missing.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

DnD was based on a middle-age Europe with East-Asian Monks, apparent access Arc Furnaces (with all the high-quality steel products even in low magic areas/games), and "New World" agricultural products as the mainstay of economies.
    East-Asian Monks weren't introduced until the second supplement, Blackmoor.

I'm not sure what arc furnaces or steel products not available by the 15th century you mean. The highest level steel products appeared to be plate armor and greatswords.

I also don't know what "New World" agricultural products you're referring to. The sum total of agricultural products mentioned at the beginning were

The setting is an amalgam of so many distinct semi-historical settings, that 'it isn't historical' is a poor argument as to why something is missing.
    Nor was it the reason I gave. My specific reasons, which you cut out of my quote, were:

"I've never seen a reference to a sword-cane in a society in which people routinely carry weapons openly."

"Particularly in medieval and Renaissance Europe, in which carrying a sword was a status symbol, sword canes don't seem to have existed."

Your argument only makes sense if you ignore most of what I wrote and take one sentence out of context.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok guys 1) complete scoundrel has blades hidden in boots, gloves, instuments, etc. that is why one hidden in a cane seems odd for not being there.
    2) Getting off topic with the growing debate over irl sword canes and various attached matters.
    3) I am looking for any useful feats to take for this rogue I am making, any thoughts?