New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Trenches

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Trenches

Anyone else read this comic? It's by the Penny Arcade guys (who, obviously, need little introduction), and it actually has a long-running story. Other than that it seems to fly under the radar for most people, which is a shame, since I actually kinda enjoy it.

Basically, it's about an ex-indie developer (think less Notch and more Phil Fish) trying to break back into the industry from the bottom. The very bottom.

Caution: Office Humor

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Trenches

I sort of read the comic, but I'm mostly there for the Tales.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've long since stopped reading it. Too much of a Seinfeldian "all the protags are d**ks" feel to it, and not enough funny.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-07-01 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I used to read it in a "OK, since I'm here for Penny Arcade and Camp Weedonwantcha, might as well read this one" way. And the tales could be entertaining as well. Unfortunately the comic took a nosedive from OK to pretty bad recently in my opinion, so I'm not reading it anymore.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I can see that. I dunno, I guess since I haven't been reading it for so long that I haven't gotten fatigued from it yet, but then again, I'm a sucker for any semblance of running story. Even though the story here more crawling than running. Also, if you looked at it from a technical standpoint, they technically haven't really gone anywhere, have they (Since, y'know, they're right back where they started with just about nothing to show for it)?

But I still enjoy the humor, so, there's that. :P

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pretty bad.

I don't like them, but it fills the Tuesday void so I don't have to resort to reading Menage a 3. I essentially only read Berserk and everything else is filler.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

The Tales are great.

The comic has its moments, but is less interesting than the Tales.

Also Scott Kurtz of PvPonline helped the Penny Arcade guys with the original comic, but I'm honestly not sure how much any of the three actually contribute anymore; the art has been done by various barely-credited Strip Search contestants for quite a while.
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    The Tales are great.

The comic has its moments, but is less interesting than the Tales.
    Tales are excellent. Too bad the comic is sooo below it, it's barely readable. If the comics actually visualized the stories, it might have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    the art has been done by various barely-credited Strip Search contestants for quite a while.
    Wait, so the Trenches, are in a their own way exploitative. Talk about hypocrisy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Wait, so the Trenches, are in a their own way exploitative. Talk about hypocrisy.
    Heh, yeah. Like if you just look at the names on the strip itself, it just lists Mike/Jerry/Scott. But a while back they announced on either the PA or PvP news post (maybe both?) that someone else would be handling the art...

Not able to find that post through archive searching, but apparently Ty and Monica are credited on the Trenches site, just not the main page:

http://trenchescomic.com/about

But still, like I said the strip has its moments. The "devspeak" strip has some NSFW language but has definitely been emailed back and forth a few times at work when similar situations occur IRL And Crunch Time, the "f-world" arc, the Olive Garden code, etc were funny.
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    It's pretty bad.

I don't like them, but it fills the Tuesday void so I don't have to resort to reading Menage a 3. I essentially only read Berserk and everything else is filler.
    I agree that it's terrible. Honestly, all of their stuff is pretty bad when they try to flesh out a world or maintain long term continuity. They're great at one-off gags, and coming up with ideas, and I still enjoy the main comic, but I've yet to enjoy a single one of their "projects".
    Last edited by Anteros; 2015-07-02 at 11:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I liked most of the PA side stories. I don't know what length cutoff we're talking about, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I liked most of the PA side stories. I don't know what length cutoff we're talking about, though.
    I think they're pretty good when they're a concept. Most of the stuff they introduce in the main strip and only carry for 3 or so comics is fairly solid. It's the side comic stuff that continues on that I think is weak. Stuff like Lookouts or Automata are interesting as a concept, but the longer stories about these concepts are usually pretty bad.

This is all just my personal opinion of course.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I think they're pretty good when they're a concept. Most of the stuff they introduce in the main strip and only carry for 3 or so comics is fairly solid. It's the side comic stuff that continues on that I think is weak. Stuff like Lookouts or Automata are interesting as a concept, but the longer stories about these concepts are usually pretty bad.

This is all just my personal opinion of course.
    Huh, I liked them actually, especially Automata. But as far as I know it never told a full story. Only the latest chapter of Automata actually finished its story (somewhat). And possibly Lookouts.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I enjoyed this when it first came out, but the update schedule seemed wonky (breaks between stories, transitions between artists, random 2 week breaks between comics) and eventually I just sort of stopped looking. It doesn't help either that the characters, themes, and writing seem woefully inconsistent between arcs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like Automata enough that I'd like to see a full comic-length story done in that universe.

Lookouts is interesting, but I always get the feeling that to understand it you have to play the P&P RPG, read all the extra material, etc. The comics themselves fail as stories because you don't have any of the background required.

As for the Trenches, it kinda fell into that weird space where the characters aren't evil enough. 8-bit Theatre, Xykon, Belkar, et al. all pull it off by being absolutely cartoonishly evil. The Trenches on the other hand isn't funny because that workplace really is like that. Heck, the stories that they run below the comic are far worse than anything that actually happens in the strip!

They basically tried to pull a Dilbert...except Dilbert's already out there and Scott Adams is a better joke-writer than them.