New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Versatile Weapon Master [FEAT]

VERSATILE WEAPON MASTER
    You have unlocked the utmost potential from your use of versatile weapons, allowing you to fluidly switch between power and utility with the greatest of ease. Reacting to the flow of battle you use your versatile weapons to shape their outcomes in your favor. You gain the following benefits:

• While you wield a Versatile weapon in two hands you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
    • Whenever you use your Reaction to make a melee weapon attack with a Versatile weapon and hit, if you're wielding that weapon in one hand and have nothing in your other hand you may also attempt to Grapple or Shove the struck creature as part of your Reaction.
    • When you take the Attack action and attack with only a single, Versatile weapon, and you hit with at least one of your attacks during that action, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with that weapon. Your bonus action attack must be made with two hands if you hit with a one-handed attack during your Attack action, or with one hand if you hit with a two-handed attack during your attack action (if you hit with both a one-handed and two handed attack during your attack action you may make a bonus action attack using your choice of one hand or two).
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2017-01-09 at 04:51 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Versatile Weapon Master [FEAT]

How does option 3 interact with option 1?

How does option 2 interact with option 3?

Could I take 2 2handed swings and then a bonus one handed swing and then grapple as my reaction since the last attack wielded the weapon in one hand?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    How does option 3 interact with option 1?

How does option 2 interact with option 3?

Could I take 2 2handed swings and then a bonus one handed swing and then grapple as my reaction since the last attack wielded the weapon in one hand?
    Option 2 doesn't interact with option 3, because option 2 is about your reaction and option 3 is about the attack action (and your bonus action). Option 2 is also presumably incompatible with option 1. I would guess that, for the sake of the first two options, you are considered to wield the weapon in whatever state you had it in your last attack. Your last attack was two handed? Then you get +1 AC. Your last attack was one handed? Then you can grapple with your AoO.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Option 2 doesn't interact with option 3, because option 2 is about your reaction and option 3 is about the attack action (and your bonus action). Option 2 is also presumably incompatible with option 1. I would guess that, for the sake of the first two options, you are considered to wield the weapon in whatever state you had it in your last attack. Your last attack was two handed? Then you get +1 AC. Your last attack was one handed? Then you can grapple with your AoO.
    That is more or less how I envisioned it to work, but I wouldn't really have any problems with a player "finishing their combo" one-handed but putting their other hand on their weapon at the end of their turn to get the +1 AC if they wanted it (or vice versa). I don't see any issues with allowing that sort of fluidity with it.

So now the question is: Is this too strong or just right?
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2015-07-01 at 08:24 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure that the second bullet point actually does anything. A grapple attempt is a melee attack like any other and you could theoretically use it any time you could make an AoO.

As for the first point. One-or-two-handing a versatile weapon is a decision you make on the spot I think, so you should reword it, perhaps simply to "wielding a versatile weapon and nothing else".
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing