1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 5e Fighter Ziegander Style (a Work in Progress)

Fighter
    A half-elf in studded leathers struts through the city. Holding her rapier in hand, she smiles confidently as the naked steel shimmers in the light of the noonday sun for any onlookers to see. She heads to a duel, japing with awestruck commonfolk along the way, one she is certain she will win, having insulted a very large, very rude, and very drunk town guardsman the night prior and trapped him in a bet (with the help of his mates) regarding a contest of arms. She laughs to herself as she sees him at last. This should put a jingle in her coinpurse.

A halfling scales the walls of the village clocktower, crossbow in hand as an army of goblins approaches from the south. His allies are in position, and with the best eyes among them, he aims to coordinate them in the middle of the battle. Having fired off one, then two shots from the hand crossbow as he climbed, he vaults over the crenelations and pulls a larger crossbow from his back, securing the end against his shoulder and precisely firing into the oncoming horde all the while shouting positions and numbers to the rest of the village's defenders.

A tall, muscled human clad head to toe in polished steel sizes up his opponent, a twelve-foot tall demon ogre with red skin and a massive curved blade. The man's brow furrows, though the corner of his mouth turns up ever so slightly as he draws his greatsword from its sheath on his back. It's wavy, pale blade shined so brightly a soft glow seemed to surround it, and upon seeing it the red-skinned creature took a half-step back. "Silvance it is called," the man spoke, "Recall the name on your way to Hel." And their fight began.

Level Proficiency Bonus Features
    1st +2 Fighting Style, Remarkable Athlete
    2nd +2 Additional Fighting Style, Battle Ready
    3rd +2 Art of War
    4th +2 Ability Score Improvement
    5th +3 Extra Attack, Battle Tested
    6th +3 Ability Score Improvement
    7th +3 Improved Critical
    8th +3 Ability Score Improvement
    9th +4 Archetype Feature
    10th +4 Peerless Skill
    11th +4 Archetype Feature
    12th +4 Ability Score Improvement
    13th +5 Brutal Critical
    14th +5 Ability Score Improvement
    15th +5 Archetype Feature
    16th +5 Ability Score Improvement
    17th +6 Archetype Feature
    18th +6 Fighting Style Improvements
    19th +6 Ability Score Improvement
    20th +6 Devastating Critical

CLASS FEATURES
    As a fighter, you gain the following class features.

HIT POINTS
    Hit Dice: 1d10 per fighter level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per fighter level after 1st

PROFICIENCIES
    Armor: All armor, shields
    Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
    Tools: None

Saving Throws: Strength and Dexterity or Strength and Constitution (your choice)
    Skills: Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival.

EQUIPMENT
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

• (a) chain mail or (b) leather armor, a light crossbow, and 20 bolts
    • (a) a melee weapon and a shield or (b) any two simple or martial weapons
    • (a) a dungeoneer's pack and a climber's kit or (b) an explorer's pack and a potion of healing

FIGHTING STYLE
    You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty, Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Spoiler: Fighting Styles
    Show
    ARCHERY
    You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

BATTLE VIGOR
    When you roll initiative, if you can see or hear one or more hostile creatures, then you gain temporary hit points equal to your class level. These temporary hit points last until the end of any turn in which you can no longer see or hear any hostile creatures.

CAVALIER
    While mounted, you may use your bonus action to direct your mount to make a single attack.
    Additionally, once per long rest, when you mount a creature or construct with fewer hit points than 6 x your level, you may grant it enough temporary hit points to reach that number.

DEFENSE
    While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC. While you wield a shield, you may use your reaction to impose disadvantage on any attack roll made against another creature within 5 feet of you.

DUELING
    When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon,

GREAT WEAPON FIGHTING
    When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

LONGARM
    You ignore the heavy property of two-handed, reach weapons you wield and may treat them as though they also had the versatile property allowing you to wield them in one hand. If you wield such a weapon in one hand, reduce the damage die by one step (for example, a Glaive wielded in one hand would deal 1d8 damage rather than 1d10).

PUGILIST
    Your unarmed strike deals 1d4 damage rather than 1 and is a light, finesse weapon.

TACTICIAN
    You may take the Help action as a bonus action on your turn or as a reaction, and you gain a +2 bonus to all weapon attack rolls you make as part of a Reaction. You may only choose this fighting style if your Intelligence score is 11 or higher.

THROWN WEAPON EXPERTISE
    You gain a +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls you make with weapons that have the thrown property and your normal and maximum ranges with such weapons doubles. You may make a ranged attack with any melee weapon that is neither two-handed nor heavy (range 15/30) even though these weapons lack the thrown property.

TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING
    When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

VERSATILE COMBATANT
    While wielding a Versatile weapon in one hand and not carrying a shield or weapon in your other hand you may take the Use an Object or Grapple action as a bonus action on your turn. While wielding a Versatile weapon in two hands you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made with that weapon.

REMARKABLE ATHLETE
    You can add half your proficiency bonus (round up) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus. In addition, when you make a running long jump, the distance you can cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Strength modifier.

ADDITIONAL FIGHTING STYLE
    At 2nd level, you can choose a second option from the Fighting Style class feature.

BATTLE READY
    Starting at 2nd level, you have advantage on Initiative checks and you may don or doff a shield in tandem with your movement and action just like you might draw or sheathe your weapon. Furthermore, you may draw or sheathe a weapon, or don or doff a shield, once for every 5ft you move during your turn without using the Use an Object action.

ART OF WAR
    At 3rd level, you choose a martial archetype that you embody as you gain levels and develop new combat styles and techniques. Choose Champion, Eldritch Knight, or Warblade, each detailed at the end of the class description. The archetype you choose grants you features at 3rd level, and again at levels 9, 11 15, and 17.

ABILITY SCORE IMPROVEMENT
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 6th, 8th, 12th, 14th, 16th, and 19th level,you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

EXTRA ATTACK
    Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

BATTLE TESTED
    Beginning at 5th level, you have advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened anytime you can see or hear a creature that is hostile to you.

IMPROVED CRITICAL
    Starting at 7th level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

PEERLESS SKILL
    By 10th level, you have become a warrior of truly incredible skill. Once per round you may declare advantage on any weapon attack roll you make. You cannot use this feature on an attack roll for which you have disadvantage already.

BRUTAL CRITICAL
    Beginning at 13th level, you can roll one additional weapon damage die when determining the extra damage for a critical hit with any weapon attack.

FIGHTING STYLE IMPROVEMENTS
    At 18th level and higher your chosen Fighting Styles grant you additional benefits detailed below.

Spoiler: Fighting Styles
    Show

ARCHERY - ...

BATTLE VIGOR - As long as you possess any temporary hit points you have advantage on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws and your speed increases by 10 feet.

Still working on this.

DEVASTATING CRITICAL
    Starting at 20th level your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 18, 19, or 20, and you can roll two additional weapon damage dice when determining the extra damage for a critical hit with any weapon attack.

Furthermore, when you score a critical hit with a weapon attack the struck foe must succeed on a Constitution saving throw, DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice), or suffer one of the following effects:

• If you rolled an 18 on your attack roll, then the foe is pushed 15ft away and knocked prone on a failed save.
    • If you rolled a 19 on your attack roll, then on a failed save, the foe is stunned for one round, and until your foe finishes a long rest, the damage dealt by your attack lowers its maximum hit points by an equal amount, and its Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores are each reduced by 1d4.
    • If you rolled a 20 of your attack roll, then the foe is slain outright on a failed save, incapacitated and reduced to 0 hit points.

MARTIAL ARCHETYPES
    Different fighters choose different approaches to perfecting their fighting prowess. The martial archetype you choose to embody reflects your approach.

CHAMPION
    The archetypal Champion focuses on the development of both the mind and body to a honed, skillful perfection. Those who model themselves on this archetype combine worldly versatility with physical excellence to strike devastating blows on the battlefield.

Spoiler: Champion Features
    Show
    SKILLFUL
    At 3rd level you gain proficiency with your choice between Deception, Investigation, Medicine, Persuasion, Nature, Stealth, or any one Tool. Choose one of your skill or tool proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the chosen proficiency. At 9th level, you can choose another of your proficiencies to gain this benefit.

SECOND WIND
    You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to endure and shrug off injury. Starting at 3rd level, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

INDOMITABLE
    Beginning at 9th level, you can reroll a saving throw that you fail. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can't use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

EXTRA ATTACK IMPROVEMENT
    Beginning at 11th level, the number of attacks you can make during an Attack action increases from two to three. When you reach 17th level, this number increases to four.

SURVIVOR
    At 15th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2015-08-26 at 08:39 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: 5e Fighter Ziegander Style (a Work in Progress)

Glad someone liked my Cavalier style. I like Vigor, too, it's simple and intuitive yet very creative and unique as well.

You may want to tweak Battle Ready slightly - I'm envisioning a high-level Champion who has a good position on the field that she doesn't want to lose, pacing a tiny line back and forth between two squares so she can keep drawing javelins. I don't think it would break anything to just say "you can draw and sheathe freely without using actions on your turn."

What's the logic behind swapping Indomitable/Second Wind (which scales for crap, if you're keeping it you should probably make it worthwhile - actually Indomitable needs some help too, although the short rest recharge is a good start) and Improved Crit? Will you be giving the other archetypes other defensive abilities? As-is you've made the fighter much more offensively focused and widened the gap between tank fighters and tank barbarians yet further, even with the addition of Battle-Tested (also a nice feature btw).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sindeloke View Post
    Glad someone liked my Cavalier style. I like Vigor, too, it's simple and intuitive yet very creative and unique as well.
    I wanted to poach the best homebrew Fighting Styles I could find. Yours was surely one of the best.

You may want to tweak Battle Ready slightly - I'm envisioning a high-level Champion who has a good position on the field that she doesn't want to lose, pacing a tiny line back and forth between two squares so she can keep drawing javelins. I don't think it would break anything to just say "you can draw and sheathe freely without using actions on your turn."
    I may tweak it yet. I know it is slightly awkward, but I also don't want a Fighter just standing still swapping between sword and board, longbow, and greataxe, and back to versatile weapon, no shield at the end of their turn.

What's the logic behind swapping Indomitable/Second Wind (which scales for crap, if you're keeping it you should probably make it worthwhile - actually Indomitable needs some help too, although the short rest recharge is a good start) and Improved Crit? Will you be giving the other archetypes other defensive abilities? As-is you've made the fighter much more offensively focused and widened the gap between tank fighters and tank barbarians yet further, even with the addition of Battle-Tested (also a nice feature btw).
    It was not my intention to make the Fighter more offensive than it had been defensive, though I see your point. It was only my goal to make the base Fighter class as rooted in martial skill as possible. Swapping Second Wind and Indomitable was actually not my plan initially; that was simply to merge the Champion into the base Fighter without overpowering it. At first Second Wind and Indomitable were simply lost in translation, but then I realized that they would make perfect Champion abilities to lead up to Survivor.

By making the two additional Extra Attacks Champion class features I solidify it's role as the "simple" Fighter archetype while also allowing me to make the Eldritch Knight and Weapon Master more robust.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2015-07-01 at 03:20 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Firstly: Please finish.

Secondly: Has this been playtested for balance?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll give this a look and review either tonight or tomorrow.