New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown - Thread #2 (IC)

Elian winces, for the briefest of moments as he reflexively reaches out an impotent hand to bring Aurora's words back. He closes the fist, hoping that the gesture looks like one of solidarity. As a second thought, he realizes that it is a gesture of solidarity.

Whether the people of Ravengro understand or not, the Whispering Way will pay for their numerous crimes.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the minutes pass, the tension in Gundwolf's frame grows, and it is not until Kristoph gently places a hand on the half-orc's forearm that he realizes that both of his hands are clenched in white-knuckled fists. Meeting the paladin's gently stern gaze with one of embarrassed defiance, he allows his tensed arms to relax, and closes his eyes with an obvious effort of will. Taking several slow, deep breaths, Gundwolf waits for the meeting to start.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    "I understand that there has been a lot of rumors and strange goings on of late! The death of professor Lorrimor. Strangers from afar roaming about the village. Strange supernatural events that disturbed the peace of the Fenlorn home. The walking dead roaming the streets and killing one of our own, Chad - a pious member of Father Grimburrow's flock no less. And just today, a rather startling attempt on Gibs Hephenus' life and the death of a deputy who attempted said murder."
    As the leader of the council begins his speech, Gundwolf watches, brow furrowing in suspicion. His upper lip curls away from his pronounced canines in a silent snarl, and the tension begins to build in his muscular frame...

"I wanted to believe that the strangers from outside our humble town were troublemakers and frauds, as did many of you. That they were the cause of the undead rumors and attacks. I wanted to believe that professor Lorrimor was engaged in the foul practices of necromancy, as did many of you. That his meddling was the catalyst for these unfortunate times. It's easier to live with obscured eyes and blame the things we do not know nor understand on the convenient targets."
    The anger and tension continue to build in Gundwolf's frame, before suddenly dissipating, and the half-orc listens in bemused confusion.

"And until this morning, I would have joined you readily in that blindness and ignorant behavior and belief. But the unfortunate events at the jail and at Lorne's house have served to shed much light on the situation. I do not understand many of the details - such things as ghosts, goblins, ghouls and spectres are beyond my ken. But I do know of some who are more well-versed in such things. I would invite them to the stage to explain the events of late... And I would strongly advise each you to heed their words and explanations! Cast not suspicious eyes on these strangers. Listen. And learn."
    Gundwolf's jaw drops at the councilman's final words. He blinks, brows furrowed in thought as his companions rise to take the stage, until Aurora's proffered hand draws the half-orc out of his frenzied inner thoughts and toward the stage. Listening with full attention to Kristoph's impassioned speech and Aurora's heartfelt (if lacking in the paladin's poised tone and eloquent wording) message, the half-orc finds the gaze of the assembled villagers vacillating between Elian and himself. After a few moments in which the slender man says nothing, the half-orc blinks. "I-" He clears his throat, the low rumbling sound adding to the roar of the winds that pass the building. "I am not like these people." The burly man gives a half-hearted gesture toward the rest of the party. "...and I know I am not like you. But the professor... cared. And I know he cared about Kendra, and his people. The... 'things' in that prison must be destroyed," the contempt for the undead in the prison drips from his words, "or her safety- your safety- can never be sure. By destroying them, I will honor his memory." His speech ends as abruptly as it began, the unspoken challenge to the crowd evident on Gundwolf's proud face.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy Aid Another? (1d20-2)[5]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "We've found evidence that a... a kind of cult has been operating in Ravengro - the Whispering Way! ..."
    His face in a stoic expression of earnestness, only Kristoph's allies can hear the sharp intake of breath as Aurora mentions the vile cult of undead worshipers. "I had intended to speak of those monsters only to the council - we risk empowering them by spreading word of their evil..." he murmurs quietly to the young woman when she is done speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "...By destroying them, I will honor his memory."
    Kristoph's smile and nod at the half-orc's grim commitment are visible to everyone.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Ra'hul'rhim pauses for a moment, he opens his mouth, but it is too dry for words. The clothes stifle him, this city stifles him, he closes his mouth, his hand are flat on the table, he stares at his cleaned and trimmed nails. He fears if he opens his mouth again he will scream. His eyes rove over the crowd in search of something familiar. He takes a deep breath and with his eyes firmly fixed on the point of the table between his hands, he opens his mouth:

"I was not born here. Most of you do not know me. But I know you, through The Professor. The Professor was a friend, more than that, in many ways, a father, a brother. He cared. Not just for me, but for you, and for this town." Ra'hul'rhim looked up with his violet eyes. Looks out at the faces staring back. "The Professor asked something of me exactly once. To come here and finish what he could not. And so I came. So, I am here. To care. To help. I, Ra'hul'rhim, am here for Ravengro."

He looks to his companions. Eager for someone else to speak, his face awash in anxiety, his hands still flat on the table.
    Ra'hulhrim the Dream Strider and his companion Del'dretch for Carrion Crown

Raeziel the Ruby Magus for Curse of Strahd

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

His companion's sociability exhausted, Elian steps forward, a warm smile for both his allies and the townsfolk. "My companions are perhaps not the most eloquent, but I dare say none could deny the veracity of their words, nor the fervor with which they speak them. I have little to add, but encouragement. Though Professor Lorrimor was learned, and prepared for what he faced, the man made one tragic and critical error: he faced this peril alone. He strove, in pride or urgency, to shield you all from the weight he bore. Alas, Ravengro is one soul fewer for his mistake.

The powers we face are numerous and vile. They threaten the very way of life you all hold dear. As Brother Kristoph has suggested, this fight will demand much of us, and much of you, as well. The malevolence of Harrowstone will be vanquished, but only if we stand together.
    "

He gestures to the council, now seated behind him. "You have the leadership, and with the late Professor's numerous journals, we have the knowledge needed to face this foe head-on. I can promise you, from personal experience, that no power is too great to overcome, by the many. It may be this day, or another, but if we stand together, Harrowstone's shadow will fall upon Ravengro, no longer!"

Spoiler: Skill check
    Show
    Using my perform (oratory) bonus instead of diplomacy: (1d20+10)[21]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

The murmuring in the hall increases as Kristoph steps up onto the stage and delivers his impassioned speech. The murmurs grow quieter as his words ring out and they, as well as the council members beside and behind him, listen intently. After Kristoph lays out his plans, the murmurs redouble such that by the end of his speech he has to practically yell above the din. Throughout the crowd, questions of, "Can they really do that?" and "Does he really think they can take down these spirits by themselves?!" and "By the gods, I think he's serious. Will it anger the spirits more?!"

Gharen, the councilman to Kristoph's left holds up his hand and begs the crowd to be calm. "Please, everyone! Hear what he...and they, have to say! I know you're afraid. I've seen odd things in my life, but these things of late are at the top of the pile. I, for one, will not let this village be endangered by ghosts from that prison's past! You should commit to the same!" The crowd is slightly mollified by this and waits for the next speaker.

Aurora delivers her speech and the crowd reacts much the same, though many of the fears they raise include, "Oh, gods! A cult? There's more of them out there?!" and similar cries. More than one suspicious glance and glare passes back and forth in the room as suddenly, everyone considers everyone else as potential cultists.

A loud, deep voice from the back of the room cuts into the growing din. "YES! A cult! But rest assured they are NOT here any longer! What these brave men and women say are true! We must stick together and undo what these...these...immoral, soulless BASTARDS have started - whatever that may be!" Sheriff Caeller's chest heaves from the passion of his speech as he looks around at the assembled crowd.

The crowd is equally animated and taken aback at Gundwolf's and Ra'hulhrim's statements and offers of help. Slowly though, despite not being as gifted with words as the first two speakers, with the assistance and reassurance of the rest of the group and of the council members, the crowd seems to calm and feel more assured. But make no mistake, there is real fear and doubt still marring their features.

Then, it is Elian's turn to give his rousing conclusion. The hall grows increasingly silent as the skilled orator delivers his impassioned plea. At the conclusion, when Elian indicates the Harrowstone's shadow will no longer fall on the village of Ravengro, an actual cheer ripples through the crowd.

But...then the cheer becomes increasingly higher pitched. And despite many of the townsfolk no longer cheering and instead looking around confused and with fear creeping back into their features, the high pitched noise becomes more akin to a series of screams. Unholy, supernatural screeches and caterwauls that completely fill the room and seem to emanate from all around! As the screeches reach a fever pitch, the lanterns hanging on the meeting hall walls suddenly grow bright... and brighter still!

Then they explode in a spray of flame, glass shards and light, mixed with a sinister laugh that echoes throughout the room, "Hee hee hee HEE HEE HEEEE!!" The Splatter Man's laugh is distinctive...and chilling. But the effect of his laugh is soon overshadowed by the screams of the townsfolk. A few of them are on fire and fall to the ground, clutching at their face and chest as the flames overtake them. The rest begin to panic and scream , stumbling over themselves and the pews in a chaotic scramble to escape! Black billowing smoke begins to fill the building before long as the flames creep up the tapestry-laden walls and crawl along the floors igniting people's discarded cloaks and the pews themselves.

Spoiler: OOC All
    Show

OK, this is going to be complex! First, here's the map:

Spoiler: Combat Map
    Show

The townsfolk with a red dot are unconscious and on fire (#7, #11, and #15). The rest will move 3 squares as best they can in their panic towards the entrance, which is located at E10 and F10. All squares in the building are considered difficult terrain.

You can take the following actions:

1. Flee: You can move at half speed through the crowd to get out.

2. Fight Fires: You can spend a standard action to batter the flames with a cloak or shred of tapestry or what-have-you to put the fire out. Doing so is a CMB roll vs DC 12. Success means that the square with the flame is extinguished (but it does not prevent the fire from going back into that square again in the future). Using such things as create water gives you a +4 to that roll.

3. Direct the Crowd: Make a Diplomacy or Intimidate check to direct the panicked crowd toward the exit. This is a full-round action. Success means that the villagers will move six squares instead of three.

4. Save the Townsfolk: As long as you're in an adjacent square, you can pull an unconscious villager from the fire as a standard action. One person may be carried at a time by a PC. Saving the townsfolk in this way automatically stabilizes them and prevents them from dying from the fire.

Additional Effects:
    - At the moment, no penalties will be assigned. But over time, smoke will begin to fill the room and suffocation will become a hazard.
    - When a fire square overlaps a villager, that villager immediately goes unconscious at -1 HP. If they are not rescued before the next round, they die on the subsequent round.
    - At the start of each round, the flames will spread randomly. That spread has already happened at the beginning of this round, which is incorporated onto the map. (Edited for clarity and accuracy)
    - Entering a burning square deals 1d6 fire damage, which is negated by a Reflex save DC 15. Townsfolk automatically fail this Reflex save.
    - Certain NPCs (Bryce, his father, etc) have been assigned NPC #s. If you wish to scan the panicked crowd for someone in specific, it is a move action to do so - Perception DC 10 succeeds.

I think that's everything! And so, begin....Round One!

Initiative Order:
    1. Fire spreads
    2. Players act in any order you wish
    3. Townsfolk move
    ...and repeat ad nauseum
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2016-07-19 at 11:21 AM.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf drops into a defensive crouch, one hand reaching back for his trusty flail as his hooded eyes scan the room for any visible assailant. His lips curling in anger and frustration at the lack thereof, the half-orc sweeps the crowded room, noting the unconscious victims at the edges of the room, where the flames have spread to the wall and floor. He hesitates for a moment, eyes flickering toward Kristoph; without warning, the barbarian surges into motion, leaping off of the stage and toward the other end of the room and toward the furthest victim...

Show
    Double move to C8.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Gundwolf
    M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian 3, Level 3, Init 2, HP 31/38, DR 0, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 2, Will 4, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Trip, Disarm Heavy Flail Melee (1d10+Str*1.5, 19-20, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d4+Str, 19-20, x2)
    Sling (Bullets x 50) Ranged (1d4+Str, x2)
    Hide Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition None

8. - Top - End - #188

NecromancerGuy

The chaos that erupts in the townhall disturbs a hopeful feeling that was developing in Kristoph, leaving him shaken for only a moment before the years of military training take over and he bursts into action. "Sheriff! That man there - save him!" he calls to the back of the room, pointing as he whips off his cloak and begins fighting the fire. "Aurora - help the council fight the fire and get clear! Elian - direct the townsfolk to get out safely!" he continues in a commanding tone as he notes both the other two allies have already flown into the fiery hall to try and save burning people. As he steps towards the nearest flame, cloak now in hand, he sees the knot of townsfolk across the hall from him abandoning one of their own. Singling out one of them he bellows in a voice suddenly booming with divine purpose, "YOU THERE! DON'T JUST RUN AND LEAVE YOUR NEIGHBOR! HELP THAT MAN!"

The council member Shanda looks where Kristoph is gazing and cries, "Johann! There! Help Leonard!"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Kristoph is directing Caeller to help Gundwolf with Villager 7.

5-ft step to H2.

Diplomacy (1d20+9)[18] vs DC 20 to enlist the aid of Villager 12 to save Villager 11. (+2 for a 20 as Shanda uses Aid Another to assist Kristoph in directing the villager to help.)

With a nod Elian begins speaking, his voice calmer and less authoritarian than Kristoph's, but no less insistent. "Friends! To the exit! Help each other avoid the flames, don't trample each other! Quickly now! Those nearest the door, hold them wide! The next ones out - get water to put out the fire..."

Show
    Elian's Diplomacy (1d20+10)[30] vs DC 15 to speed up the crowd

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora stands dumfounded for a few moments, scarcely able to comprehend the sudden turn of events and the licking flames now spreading outwards in their direction. But... it wasn't supposed to be this way! she thinks helplessly to herself...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Aurora - help the council fight the fire and get clear! Elian - direct the townsfolk to get out safely!" he continues in a commanding tone as he notes both the other two allies have already flown into the fiery hall to try and save burning people.
    Kristoph's words snap the young girl out of her shock, and before she properly knows what she's doing she has cloak in hand, batting at the nearest flames alongside the councilmembers. "Come on!" she cries. "Get moving - keep the flames back while the people get out!" Following her own advice, she steps over the two closest benches and around several of the townsfolk to fight the nearest flames to her position.

Show
    Move to C/5, and attempt to put out the flames in B/4 with a CMB roll of (1d20-1)[11] vs DC 12. Aurora will encourage the council members to move as far forward as possible before attempting to put out nearby flames (and one of them assisting her would be appreciated!)
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

10. - Top - End - #190

Chaos erupts around the room as much as the fire does. Panicked villagers scramble and stumble over themselves and each other as they try to escape the flame. However, Elian's voice carries over the din and calms them enough to not blindly stumble and run. Five villagers are able to escape the building in the initial push of this exodus.

Meanwhile, Ra'Hulhrim pulls a singed victim from the fires and pats him down. While the elf doesn't recognize the man, Kristoph - who is nearby - does. It is Isaac Fenlorn, Bryce's father. Bryce and his mother Trudy, however, are lost somewhere in the crowd building near the door. Councilor Gharen rushes up to beat at the flames near Ra'Hulhrim, looking up momentarily at the elf with the unconscious man in his arms. "Go! Get Isaac out of here!" While Gharen beats at the flames, they retreat from where his cloak was beating but simultaneously surge along the floor between the two men. Nearby, Johann barely hears Kristoph and Shanda's cry for succor, but hear them he does. He looks frantically next to him and sees Leonard on the ground. He pats him down quickly and then drags the man out of the worst of the flames before heaving him up and shuffling as best he can in with the rest of the crowd trying to leave the building.

On the other side of the room, Aurora and Head Councilor Hearthmount fight the fires spreading there and do an admirable job of it. However, despite their efforts, the many cloaks and papers and old wood prove too tempting and capable of fuel for the fire as the two separate fires merge into one long line of searing flame. Sheriff Caeller rushes up to assist Gundwolf with rescuing a young woman from the fires before they grow too strong. "Come on, Delora! I got you!" he yells as he hoists her unceremoniously over his shoulder. The sheriff gives Gundwolf a nod and then looks towards the door.

At the exit, the villagers push and crowd and yell, simultaneously trying to avoid the fires burning around them while funneling through the doors. Perhaps it was the supernatural genesis of the fire or perhaps it was just unfortunate fate, but whatever the reason, the fires flanking the doorway surged inward, creating a choke-point. Among the fearful yells and shouts, new shouts of pain and terror emerge as a couple more unfortunate victims catch fire and collapse despite being so close to freedom. Worse yet, the crowd keeps surging forward, threatening to trample them!

And all the while, the black smoke from the flames get thicker and thicker as it begins to sting the remaining occupants' eyes and elicit coughs!

Show

Round 1 summary (see dice rolls thread):

- Five villagers were able to escape, thanks to the extra movement afforded by Elian's Diplomacy check.
    - Villager #15 (Isaac) is rescued by Ra'Hulhrim
    - Villager #7 (Delora) is rescued by Sheriff Caeller
    - Villager #11 (Leonard) is rescued by Villager #12 (Johann)
    - Three squares of fire put out by the councilors and Aurora

Start of Round 2
    The fires spread to new squares this turn. The "southern" fires near the door spread to squares F8 and E11, both of which were already occupied by villagers, who therefore fall unconscious.

New Rules:
    - Smoke is filling the room, imposing a -2 per ten feet penalty to Perception checks
    - NEXT round (Round 3), Fort saves will be needed as smoke inhalation continues

The Google Doc map has the latest statuses.

Players' turn for Round 2!!
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2016-07-19 at 08:42 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

11. - Top - End - #191

NecromancerGuy

"We won't be able to stop the fire - just get everyone out!" trumpets Kristoph as he sees circumstances turn grim. "Someone clear a path through the flames! Everyone else, move, quickly!"

As he hears Kristoph's directions Elian nods and begins moving towards the exit, intent on getting to the mass of people before it becomes deadly.

Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+9)[22] vs DC 15 to elicit faster movement from the villagers.

5-ft step to G15.

Both nearby council members (Shanda and Gharen) and Elian head for the exit.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora lets out a cough and abandons her attempts to combat the closest flames as her eyes begin to water. "Come on, move to the door and keep everyone moving forward!" she urges Mirta and Vashian. Using her shawl, she attempts to bat away several flames that are threatening to block off the escape route altogether.

Show
    Move to D/8 and fight the fire in D/9, using CMB (1d20-1)[6] vs DC 12 (if Gundwolf was already fighting that fire, it will be an Aid Another attempt instead).

Aurora will direct C1 and C2 to squares E/6 and F/6, respectively (unless someone thinks of a way they can be more effective this round - I'm not seeing it).
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193

Beholder

Not hesitating, Ra'hulhrim deftly maneuvers through the crowd, with the slumped villager slug over his shoulder.

Spoiler: ACTIONS
    Show

Moves to F10 (nudging NPC 14 gently forward :} )

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Someone clear a path through the flames! Everyone else, move, quickly!"
    Gundwolf returns the sheriff's nod with one of his own before turning to hear Kristoph's shouted directions. The half-orc looks to the fires encroaching on the exit, and an expression of fear begins to creep into his defiant features. After a heartbeat spent appraising the spreading flames, Gundwolf grabs a discarded cloak and steps over to the entryway, clumsily mimicking the actions of Aurora and the others fighting the blaze...

Show
    Move (if necessary) to fight a fire that threatens the exit. If, due to current NPC positions, there's not really a better target square for Gundwolf to fight than O21, he will fight that fire and, if successful, move into that square in preparation for the next turn.
    CMB check vs DC 12 to fight the fire: (1d20+7)[13]

Show
    Gundwolf
    M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian 3, Level 3, Init 2, HP 31/38, DR 0, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 3, Ref 2, Will 4, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Condition None
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2016-07-20 at 12:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

Kristoph's shouts further motivate and mobilize the mob. Many of the panicked villagers run for their lives through the double doors leading to the main hall and - ultimately - safety. Their terrified screams and yells fade as they make their way out, but two figures still lay on the floor, burned and partially trampled and barely moving. Vashian runs up to one of them and pats them down and then gives a mighty heft to attempt to carry the fallen man. "Marcus, come on my friend - we're leaving!" the head councilor yells to the unconscious man. Gharen likewise advances to save a woman that had fallen victim to the flames. "My dear, I do love sweeping a woman off her feet, but not this way," the thin man says as he lifts her unconscious form in front of him.

Meanwhile, Gundwolf and Aurora combine efforts to douse a large swath of the flame, only to see that the fires around the room have continued to spread. Ra'hulhrim continues to run with the unconscious man bobbing up and down in his arms, heading towards the exit.

Among the shouts and crackle of the flame, the crash of glass comes from the narrow windows along the sides of the building. Two floating heads with cracked and blackened, charred flesh burst through the windows, their jaws moving in silent laughter. Their empty, blackened eye sockets swivel towards Aurora and councilor Vashian and then they open their mouths wide and let out a loud shriek. Large orbs of flame shoot through the air towards those targets. Vashian is missed by a wide margin, but Aurora feels the impact of the heat singe the back of her left shoulder.

Through all of the chaos, the room continues to fill further and further with smoke, burning the occupants' throats and eyes.

Show

Summary of events:
    - Vashian stops to save Villager 16
    - Gharen stops to save Villager 5
    - Most of the rest of the villagers had enough movement to escape, except for Villager 17
    - Councilors Shanda and Mirta have escaped
    - Two floating skulls entered the fray and lobbed ranged touch fire attacks at Vashian and Aurora (randomly determined targets)
    - Vashian missed but Aurora takes 2 points of fire damage

New Rule for Round 3 and forward:
    - Due to the increase in smoke, now need to make Fortitude saves (DC 15) to avoid choking on the smoke. Failure means you take no action other than coughing and gagging. Fail for two consecutive rounds and you start taking 1d6 points of damage each round until you leave the smoke-filled area.

Players' Turn for Round 3!
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2016-07-20 at 09:05 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

16. - Top - End - #196

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 3, Kristoph's Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 2/Oracle 1, Level 3, Init 2, HP 15/31, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 14, Fort 9, Ref 4, Will 9, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Longsword (N/A) +4 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead )
    Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +0 Dex, +1 Natural)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
    Condition Lay on Hands 5/5 Used
    Smite Evil 1/1 Used

Gulping in breath Kristoph yells over the growing din of the fire, "Get out of here - don't wait for me! I am right behind you!" as he begins shuffling in his heavy armor for the doors. Looking at the two undead that have appeared he slows enough to take a potion from his belt and drink it, healing some from the day's battles. "You abominations will not stop me..." he mumbles as he starts to hold his breath...

Show
    Fortitude (1d20+9)[25] vs DC 15 or nauseated for 1 round

If able, Kristoph will take a single move action to F5 and drink a potion of Cure Light Wounds to heal for (1d8+1)[5]

Elian

Elian, meanwhile, is overcome by smoke and begins coughing violently as he staggers towards the exit (F9).

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Come on!!!" Aurora's voice rises higher with a tinge of panic as the new foes arrive. Covering her mouth with a sleeve to ward off the billowing smoke, she skirts around the dancing flames and pushes through into the next room, looking about for water or help.

Show
    Fortitude (rolled in OOC) was 16, so Aurora's OK this round. Double-move to what would be F/13, escaping the burning room. (In subsequent rounds Aurora will try to organize rescuers to fight the flames from the outside and bring water)

Also, even if Elian is nauseated can't he take a move action to Q/21 or thereabouts? Gets him closer to escaping next round.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Aurora
    Human Arcanist 3 NG
    HP 18 / 20 Speed ft Init 8
    AC 12 Fort 3 Ref 3 Will 3
    CMB -1 BAB 1
    Dagger -1 (1d4-2, 19-20/x2)
    Str 7 (-2) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 19 (4) Cha 11 (0)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198

Beholder

Struggling to breathe, he exits the smoke coughing and sputtering. Setting the unconscious villager down safely outside the room.

Show

Getting a whopping 11 in the OOC thread, exits the room standing next to Aurora in G13.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At the shrieks of the disembodied heads, Gundwolf turns his head, fixing a baleful glare on the nearest. He opens his mouth as if to speak, but a sudden billow of smoke obscures his face from view, and instead of a booming war cry, all that can be heard is choking and sputtering amidst the sound of uneven footfalls as the half-orc stumbles in the general direction of the exit.

Show
    Rolled elsewhere, Gundwolf failed the Fort Save. He will delay (being one of the furthest to the rear persons) until everyone else has moved before moving toward the exit. If Kristoph is unable to make it further than P19, Gundwolf will move to end his turn adjacent to Kristoph.

Show
    Gundwolf
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 2, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Condition None

20. - Top - End - #200

Nearly the last of all of the remaining occupants of the fiery meeting hall rush out the doors to the common area of the town hall, where a bucket brigade is just starting to be set up. Aurora and Ra'Hulhrim cough and sputter as they stumble out of the doors to be pulled towards the town hall doors to safety by those there. The man in Ra'Hulhrim's arms is still unconscious, but he is carried off by a couple of villagers. Sheriff Caeller and the escaped councilors are shouting orders, trying to keep a sense of organization amidst the chaos and fear.

Meanwhile, inside the burning room, Vashian is gasping for breath due to his obesity. The gasping and wheezing escalates into a series of coughs and sputters as he staggers forward, nearly running into Elian as he stumbles forward affected by the same coughing and hacking. Meanwhile, the fires continue to spread around them. Some of the flames close in on Vashian as he is doubled over in a paroxysm of coughing, and he croaks out in pain as the fire singes his flesh. The fire is threatening to close off the entrance to the room!

The cackling heads continue spitting fire around the room. One of the globules of flame solidly hits Kristoph but the other sails wide of Elian.

Show

End of Round 3
    Vashian failed his Fort save. He takes one move action forward while coughing.

Skull 1 hits Kristoph for 3 points of damage. Skull 2 misses Elian.

All villagers have exited the meeting hall, and are alive (some are incapacitated, but alive).

Round 4
    Unfortunately, that square that Vashian moved forward into is one that I rolled for it to spread into. He takes fire damage but since he has levels, he doesn't immediately collapse like the villagers.

Two more rounds before the bucket brigade will start feeding water to the town hall.

All players go! If you fail your save two rounds in a row, you start taking smoke inhalation damage of 1d6 points per round.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 4

Pausing only a moment to catch her breath and wipe soot from her eyes, Aurora seizes another cloak from a nearby villager and turns to continue fighting the flames. "Dreamstrider!!" she calls to Ra'Hulhrim, "Help me clear the door!!"

Show
    Retrieve something to fight the flames with and attempt to put out the flames in P/23: CMB (1d20-1)[16] vs DC 12. If Ra'Hulhrim does the same, her roll will be to Aid Another
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 4, Kristoph's Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 2/Oracle 1, Level 3, Init 2, HP 12/31, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 14, Fort 9, Ref 4, Will 9, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Smite Evil 1/1 Used

Silently Kristoph motions to Gundwolf to go ahead of him and moves quickly for the exit, ducking his head against the further attacks of the flaming skulls...

Show
    Double move to E9

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Fatigued as he is from the days excitement, Elian can't hold his breath to avoid taking in a great, black lungful of smoke. Tears well up in the corners of his eyes, as he stumbles, choking, into the clear air beyond the town center. Gasping in pain and and exhaustion, Elian falls to all-fours in the dusty road. For several moments, he focuses on nothing so much as expunging the offending air from his lungs.

Spoiler: Elian, round 4
    Show
    Elian Evenstarr
    M NG Dhampir Blood Bard, Level 3, Init +5, HP 2/18, DR cold res 5, DR 5/- nonlethal, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Light crossbow (18 bolts) +5 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Dagger +1 or +5 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
    ConditionBlood is life: 7/7
    Bard Spells, 4/4 1st level remaining
    Familiar, House Centipede: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=169452

As I understand it, I'm allowed a move action to GTFO, and don't take damage from the fire, as Aurora beats them away before I move. This is a good thing, because I'm at 2 HP (after smoke inhalation- rolled in hangouts).

24. - Top - End - #204

Beholder

ROUND 4

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Round 4 "Dreamstrider!!" she calls to Ra'Hulhrim, "Help me clear the door!!"
    Coughing and sputtering, Heeding Aurora's call, Dreamstrider rushes to helps clear the path for folks still in the room.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Retrieve something to fight the flames with and attempt to put out the flames in Q/22 (seeing as Aurora has P/23 under control) to clear the way for the rest: 11 CMB vs DC 12.
    Rolled Here.
    Last edited by marrok; 2016-07-26 at 09:53 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf barely sees Kristoph's gesture in the smoke and chaos, but all can hear a sudden change in the half-orc's choking- after one final, booming cough, a rising snarl replaces the sputtering sound, and a roar of inhuman anger and frustration explodes within the modest room. The barbarian glares hatred at the floating skulls, but the tongues of flame that spread across the floor catch his eye, even in his frenzied state, and instead of bodily hurling himself at the hated foes, Gundwolf rushes toward the exit, kicking and hurling overturned benches and chairs in his path.

Show
    Free Action: Enter Rage!
    Fort Save vs smoke inhalation, DC 15: (1d20+9)[29] else take (1d6)[1] damage and no standard action.

Gundwolf will move as far toward the exit as possible while remaining adjacent to the rearmost person in the room (presumably Kristoph) in anticipation of the possibility that he may need to be dragged out. Not rolling AoOs because the jerk skull heads aren't coming close enough anyway.

Show
    Gundwolf
    M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian 3, Level 3, Init 2, HP 40/47, DR 0, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 9, Ref 2, Will 4, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition Raging: +4 Str, +6 Con, +2 Will saves, -2 AC (9 additional HP temporarily added)

26. - Top - End - #206

Aurora shrugs off the villagers' attempts to pull her further to safety and instead bravely turns and runs right back into danger. She grabs a cloak and bats at the flames at the threshold of the meeting hall. They recede long enough for Vashian - who is still carrying an unconscious villager - to stumble forward while coughing and panting violently to ultimately escape to safety. Sheriff Caeller and one of his deputies pulls the councilman further into the common hall and ultimately outside.

Many villagers have formed a line that snakes its way out of the door. Ra'Hulhrim can see that the first of the buckets full of sloshing water is halfway up the line, soon to offer much needed succor. He turns to fight the rest of the fire at the entrance but finds it to be much stronger, the flame finding significant purchase on the old, dry wooden walls and floor at this point.

Elian escapes the flames and roiling smoke as well, and collapses near the entrance in a fit of violent coughing. Amidst the remaining coughing, frantic and singed villagers, a voice of calm authority rings out as Father Grimburrow announces from a couple dozen feet away, "Come, my friends! Be not afraid. Pharasma's grace is with you!" He holds aloft his pendant of the Lady of Graves and a pulse of holy energy eminates from him. The rescued, unconscious citizens open their eyes, bewildered, confused and afraid, but alive and well. The priest gestures to Leone for her to follow and then looks over towards the threshold of the meeting room and begins to stride purposefully to the coughing and sooty Elian, his pendant still in hand as is Leone's.

Meanwhile, within the fiery hall, the cackling floating skulls shriek loudly and lob another salvo of flaming globules. This time, both of them collide nearly simultaneously into the raging half-orc's back as he charges forward just barely ahead of Kristoph. But through the smoke and the heat, he and Kristoph can see that Aurora and Ra'Hulhrim have opened safe passage for them to escape the inferno! And beyond that, they can see the priests and villagers assembling to provide aid to those that exit!

Show

End of Round 4
    Vashian escapes with the last villager.
    The skulls both hit with their ranged fiery attacks, dealing 9 points of damage to Gundwolf.
    Father Grimburrow has channeled energy amongst the villagers to heal those that you all rescued, and now is heading towards Elian and the rest of the folks in the meeting hall.

Round 5 Start
    The fire spreads but it doesn't affect anyone directly.

Players go!
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

27. - Top - End - #207

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    Amidst the remaining coughing, frantic and singed villagers, a voice of calm authority rings out as Father Grimburrow announces from a couple dozen feet away, "Come, my friends! Be not afraid. Pharasma's grace is with you!" He holds aloft his pendant of the Lady of Graves and a pulse of holy energy eminates from him.
    Dreamstrider sees Father Grimburrow hold his holy symbol aloft, he quickly closes the distance and puts a gentle hand on the priest's shoulder. Whispering to the priest, "Father, hold but a moment. Your prayers are not for him. I'll take him outside. Fresh air would suit him better."

Offering to help Elian to his feet, "Come, Elian. It's best we stepped outside just now."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Dreamstrider aims to help Elian to his feet and help Elian to the door as swiftly as possible. I'm not sure how the map looks or if we're still in rounds, but the aim is to get him out of range ASAP.

28. - Top - End - #208

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 5, Kristoph's Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 2/Oracle 1, Level 3, Init 2, HP 12/31, Speed 30 ft. Base
    Smite Evil 1/1 Used

Smiling grimly at Gundwolf, Kristoph gently pushes the half-orc through the doorway in front of him, gulps a breath, and then turns to the fires and prays, "Lady of Graves, I do not understand this power, but let your waters flow from me into this place!"

Show
    Move to E11, draw his longsword, and then cast Create Water to begin the process of fighting the fire. Due to the presence of the undead in the burning room he will not leave the doorway until either they are defeated or someone more capable holds the line.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

With Dreamstrider's help, Elian regains his footing. The briefest flicker of apprehension flashes across his eyes at the druid's revelation, almost instantly masked by a confident smile. "Yes, I... I am quite well- just need to get fresh air, outside!" he offers amidst his hurried departure.

Alongside his unlikely companion, the otherworldly bard stumbles into the evening air, breathing heavily. "I did not see him coming..." Elian mumbles. His keen eyes meet the druid's, and despite the dim evening light, it's impossible to miss the sincerity cradled in the gaze. "Thank you."

Spoiler: Elian, round 5
    Show
    Elian Evenstarr
    M NG Dhampir Blood Bard, Level 3, Init +5, HP 2/18, DR cold res 5, DR 5/- nonlethal, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Light crossbow (18 bolts) +5 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Dagger +1 or +5 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
    ConditionBlood is life: 7/7
    Bard Spells, 4/4 1st level remaining
    Familiar, House Centipede: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=169452

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Kristoph, Gundwolf! Get out of there!" Aurora desperately flips through the pages of her spellbook looking for anything that will help, settling on a spell that will help her mend Elian's wounds.

Show
    Spend an arcane point (3/6 remaining) and a full-round action to use Quick Study, swapping out Summon Monster I for Inflict Light Wounds as a prepared spell.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Aurora
    Human Arcanist 3 NG
    HP 18 / 20 Speed ft Init 8
    AC 12 Fort 3 Ref 3 Will 3
    CMB -1 BAB 1
    Dagger -1 (1d4-2, 19-20/x2)
    Str 7 (-2) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 19 (4) Cha 11 (0)
    Show