New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Peril and Fame (IC)

Valamir

Giving his companion her space, Valamir stepped aside with a nod of deference, hiding a sneer of contempt for what he thought was probably a fraud of a fortune teller. Still, he appreciated the man's showmanship.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    Amazing Zograthy's, Washers' Row

Zograthy draws the coins across the table and deposits them in his pocket before continuing. "All right, that's better. There's a smart girl. I don't know the name, but you have engaged my valuable services. Tell me all you know about this man and check back in three days... a week at the most. I have to consult the bones -- eh, by which I mean I have to play Dominoes with the boys this weekend. Don't leave out any details!"

Vai and Alessandra
    Shrine of Sarenrae, Underbridge

Terisha explains that the Night Scales may have as many as 200 members. While the bulk of their numbers are involved in pickpocketing, fencing and information, the more elite among them are rumored to sell their skills on the global scene. Unlike the Sczarni gangs, you won't be able to identify a Night Scale their colors; everyone dresses in plain clothing. By contrast, the Sczarni seem to enjoy the notoriety.

"I wish I had more information, but their leadership is good at what they do. If you want to learn more, or find someone specific to set up, start at Rag's End in Beacon's Point. Their pickpockets always find their way back to Rag's End by the end of the day."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-04 at 01:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously: Squeaky clean & in a hurry.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Shimura
    Capital District

There are several public baths in the Capital District. Not everyone in the city had plumbing in their homes and very few could enjoy a magically heated bath. Entry is only five copper pieces. Eager pages wait inside and offer additional services like shaving and laundry. A busy novice mage is at work using Prestidigitation to clean garments and polish boots.

While in the bath, Shimura inquires about House Derexhi and learns the following from a group of chatty merchants: House Derexhi is one of the oldest noble families in Magnimar (though Magnimar itself is a fairly young city, so that's not terribly impressive). Their patriarch is a man named Randred, a respectable gentleman, but one with a reputation for being a fierce fighter. The family makes its coin from, in the simplest sense, maintaining a well armed and trained group of mercenaries. In the more nuanced sense, they can be described as 'problem solvers'. Among their tools are a number of elite adventuring sorts.

"If you want a job done, and you've got the coin, you talk to Derexhi. They don't ask a bunch of undue questions like the Pathfinders. Very professional. Oh, nothing untoward, Mister Shimura, they just put steel and boots where they need to be!"

"Now, if you want to speak with Lord Derexhi, I wouldn't go tomorrow unless you have a damned good pitch. No one likes to be disturbed at their home on Starday. He sees petitioners Moonday, Wealday, and, oh, well it's Fireday today isn't it? Getting on in the afternoon and I bet he's all scheduled up by now."

Spoiler: Shimura
    Show
    Shave, magically laundered clothes and a bath -- 1 sp.

Shimura
    Capital District

Shimura left the bath in a hurry after learning that. It was run or wait until Moonday, and likely he'd have to wait until Moonday anyways, but it was definitely worth trying. So after a brisk run across town and a casting of prestidigitation to compose himself he was ready to attempt to speak with the Derexhi. He made his way to the gate/door(?) and presented himself as a businessman.

"Good evening. I am Shimura Hachiro, master smith. I was hoping that I could make a meeting with the master of the house if there is still time today. If not I would like to set up a meeting for Moonday."
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    Valamir and Irčne

Zograthy draws the coins across the table and deposits them in his pocket before continuing. "All right, that's better. There's a smart girl. I don't know the name, but you have engaged my valuable services. Tell me all you know about this man and check back in three days... a week at the most. I have to consult the bones -- eh, by which I mean I have to play Dominoes with the boys this weekend. Don't leave out any details!"

Irčne giggled slighlty. "Hey, no need to ruin your mystique further on my account. I've more than taken care of that already." Her face grew more serious as she leaned forward. "Regrettably, I don't know as much about him as I'd like. He's an older man, in his late forties, I believe. Full-blooded Varisian, very angular face, salt-and-pepper hair with a goatee and shortly trimmed mustache last I knew."

Irčne refrained from mentioning that 'last she knew' had been in a vision she'd received eight years ago.

"He was, for a large chunk of his life, a warpriest of Desna who mostly stayed around Magnimar but did make a few longer journeys, including one into Galt about two decades ago. My sources tell me that his activity has dropped considerably since then, so I imagine he probably hasn't gone too far from here."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi

Zuberi left the temple of Pharasma somewhat disheartened. He had not expected Irori to have a strong presence in this foreign land, but the assumption that Iomedae was the next logical step in his quest struck him as somewhat distasteful. It was not that he had anything against the Inheritor, but she was a decidedly Northern deity, young and impetuous despite her noble goals. Perhaps it would be worth consideration in the future, but for now he sought the faiths he was more familiar with.

The rumor of the Sarenite temple in disrepair intrigued him, so he set off toward the imposing ruin of the Irespan, impossible to miss against Magnimar's skyline.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Terisha explains that the Night Scales may have as many as 200 members. While the bulk of their numbers are involved in pickpocketing, fencing and information, the more elite among them are rumored to sell their skills on the global scene. Unlike the Sczarni gangs, you won't be able to identify a Night Scale their colors; everyone dresses in plain clothing. By contrast, the Sczarni seem to enjoy the notoriety.

"I wish I had more information, but their leadership is good at what they do. If you want to learn more, or find someone specific to set up, start at Rag's End in Beacon's Point. Their pickpockets always find their way back to Rag's End by the end of the day."

Vai's eyebrow quirked up at mention of the Night Scales' size. If there were organizations like that of such prominence in the city, her divine task would be all the more difficult. Still, in a way she welcomed the challenge. Reaching to the scarf around her neck, she slowly unwound it and handed it to Terisha.

"Then it seems our best course of action would be to pay a visit to Rag's End. I trust my kapenia to you, cousin - it would not do to have it seen and give away my deception."

Reaching to her hair, Vai's hand brushed against a golden wasp pin holding back her black locks. The metal gleamed, and at once it melted away, metal sheen giving way to a velvet shine, gold transitioning to red. Soon, it was a red ribbon holding a shower of golden curls in a braid, beneath which blue eyes looked out from a pale Chelish face. Meanwhile, her sumptuous armor dulled from gold and black chain into drab grey and brown studded leather, while her curve blade took on the appearance of a bastard sword.

"No one would suspect two foreigners of working for any Sczarni."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-08-06 at 05:18 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne

"About twenty years ago, eh?" Zograthy's thin lips draw into a frown. "So, you're looking for your tată, aren't you? Yeah, I get a lot of that. You seem like a nice kid; I'll look into it. Not for nothing, but it's a big city and people who don't want to get found stay lost. Still, check back in a week at the most."

The fortuneteller takes several short puffs to reignite the dying ember in his cigarillo. Smoke streams out of his nostrils as he maneuvers around the little table and pushes the tent flap open again. He looks gravely at Valamir before saying, "Like I was saying, kid. They got a cream for that. I put it on my elbows, it's fantastic."
    Spoiler: Valamir and Irčne
    Show

Zograthy does have a "miracle" skin cream for sale for 6 silver pieces. It smells like rosewater. He suggests buying four jars.

After leaving, the two make it to The Old Fang without further incident. A single room is 1.5 gp per night. Suites are 2.5. The single rooms have a narrow bed with a straw matress and clean linens, a locked trunk and a dresser. Baths are included, but you have to draw the water yourself and it's unheated and Ol' Mam sternly advices not to take too damned long because there's only the one damned bathroom and she's got four other guests.

It's about 4 PM when you settle in. Valamir realizes he's getting a bit hungry.

Shimura
    Derexhi Villa, Alabaster District

Shimura is made to wait for nearly two hours, though thankfully he does it inside the villa, in a well appointed sitting room. He's offered a glass of water with crystal clear ice and floating pomegranate kernels.

Finally, he's shown in to Lord Derexhi's office. The man behind the immense cherry wood desk is tall and lean with a trim beard that traces his jawline, interrupted by two long scars down the left side. He wears a dark chocolate leather gambeson, held together with mithral clasps in the shape of dragons' claws. His brow raises at the sight of Shimura, but he still can't be bothered to rise in greeting. On the wall behind him, a variety of fine weapons are on display -- a recurve darkwood longbow, a pair of scimitars, a badly notched adamantine greatsword and a fencing set with matching mithral rapier, parrying dagger and buckler.

"I was going to call it a day, but they told me I had a Minkaian swordsmith to see me. That's worth stalling my card game by a few minutes. They'll wait on me. But I like cards, Hachiro-san."

Randred gestures for Shimura to have a seat if he wanted, but to start speaking and say something impressive soon.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Valamir laughs at Zograthy's comment, "I assure you, sir, this is my natural skin color."

When the two reach the Old Fang, Valamir waves to Ol' Mam again, and introduces Irčne, "Hello again, Mam. I liked your place so much I decided to stop back. What's on the menu for supper? By the way, this is my friend, Irčne."

9. - Top - End - #129

Show

"About twenty years ago, eh? So, you're looking for your tată, aren't you? Yeah, I get a lot of that. You seem like a nice kid; I'll look into it. Not for nothing, but it's a big city and people who don't want to get found stay lost. Still, check back in a week at the most."

Irčne chuckled ruefully. "Am I that obvious?" Rising and exiting the tent, she nodded her head in thanks before joining Valamir on the way to The Old Fang.

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    "Hello again, Mam. I liked your place so much I decided to stop back. What's on the menu for supper? By the way, this is my friend, Irčne."
    Irčne extended a hand in greeting. "A pleasure to meet you, ma'am. Supper sounds good to me, as well. And one of your suites, if you would be so kind."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Irčne will hand over the 2.5 gp necessary to procure a suite, then take a look around the room to spot anything interesting - notices, trophies, suspicious characters...
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-08-06 at 02:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Vai's eyebrow quirked up at mention of the Night Scales' size. If there were organizations like that of such prominence in the city, her divine task would be all the more difficult. Still, in a way she welcomed the challenge. Reaching to the scarf around her neck, she slowly unwound it and handed it to Terisha.

"Then it seems our best course of action would be to pay a visit to Rag's End. I trust my kapenia to you, cousin - it would not do to have it seen and give away my deception."

Reaching to her hair, Vai's hand brushed against a golden wasp pin holding back her black locks. The metal gleamed, and at once it melted away, metal sheen giving way to a velvet shine, gold transitioning to red. Soon, it was a red ribbon holding a shower of golden curls in a braid, beneath which blue eyes looked out from a pale Chelish face. Meanwhile, her sumptuous armor dulled from gold and black chain into drab grey and brown studded leather, while her curve blade took on the appearance of a bastard sword.

"No one would suspect two foreigners of working for any Sczarni."

Vai and Alessandra

"No, what kind of foreigner would do something like that?", comments the foreigner willing to work with Szcarni, the humorous tone belying an expression of mild surprise. "You're just full of surprises though, Vai."

She looks around a bit before speaking again.

"This plan could do, I suppose. I was thinking of just spreading some nasty rumors and then 'investigating' them, as adventuring folks are wont to do. Impersonating other people is fine though. I like flash, but I can handle subtle. So, to Rag's End then?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Vai and Alessandra

Vai and Alessandra exit the shrine through a hole in the roof, imperceptible from street level. A moldy pile of discarded rags provides a soft landing at the back of the building. While not impossible to reenter via through, the climb up the mottled stones was a difficult one. If it hadn't before, it dawns on you now how the Tower Girls got their name. Perhaps some climbing lessons would benefit you in the near future.

From there, the two able to go unseen as they take the back avenues out of Underbridge and head to the Dockway.

Zuberi

Zuberi meanwhile arrived at the same location, narrowly missing the site of Alessandra as they pass on opposite ends of an alley.

The shrine is in a pathetic state, just as the cleric said. It had been a beautiful building, perhaps a decade ago. Now the windows and doors have been replaced with wooden slats and the roof sags towards the back. The front of the church has been defaced with red paint. The graffiti is in Varisian, but Zuberi does note the drawing of a dagger through a capital "D". The rooftop statuette of Sarenrae is thankfully untouched.

Before he can investigate further, he hears two men turn down the street to the west, sixty feet away. They're both filthy and dressed in tattered sackcloth clothes over rusted mail shirts. The first exclaims something in Varisian. He sounds angry.

Vai and Alessandra
    Rag's End, Beacon's Point

Scouting out Beacon's Point, the pair first arrive at what they soon learn is Jaijarko's Castle -- an odd name for a precariously built fire hazard of tenements piled atop one another. At a glance, there's no telling how many souls live in and around this shanty town. People leer out of their windows and doorways.

Passing what must be the main entrance to the residential complex they spot four consciously dressed guards or enforcers dressed in short red jackets with bright brass buttons. They're armed with crossbows and rapiers.

One of the four, a skinny Chelish man, calls out, "Hey! I like your curls, love! Want to make some coin? It'll match your pretty hair!"

"Better charge him for the whole hour upfront, girl. It's good money for two minutes work," says the one woman among them with a sigh.

Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Irčne pays for her suite and is given a pair of keys, one for the door and another for the chest at the foot of her bed. Unfortunately, she can't judge the quality of the locks. The suite is sparsely decorated with a bed for two on a pine frame, a dresser, a foot locker and a shabby oil landscape painting signed by an R. Mutt, or possibly a Muth. The one wide window looks out north west to the a rocky stretch of beach and the sea beyond. There's no roof access to her window on the second floor, so if someone wanted to break in, they'd have to either climb up the sheer brick wall, hang from the ledge above or else employ magic.

Valamir, meanwhile downstairs in the common area, finds himself alone apart from Ol' Mam (busy starting dinner for the rush in an hour) and the blond young man with the fancy short sword he saw earlier. The lad has fallen asleep in one of two overstuffed chairs by the hearth. There isn't a fire going because it's the middle of summer.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-06 at 11:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: A quick meeting.
    Show
    Shimura

Shimura is made to wait for nearly two hours, though thankfully he does it inside the villa, in a well appointed sitting room. He's offered a glass of water with crystal clear ice and floating pomegranate kernels.

Finally, he's shown in to Lord Derexhi's office. The man behind the immense cherry wood desk is tall and lean with a trim beard that traces his jawline, interrupted by two long scars down the left side. He wears a dark chocolate leather gambeson, held together with mithral clasps in the shape of dragons' claws. His brow raises at the sight of Shimura, but he still can't be bothered to rise in greeting. On the wall behind him, a variety of fine weapons are on display -- a recurve darkwood longbow, a pair of scimitars, a badly notched adamantine greatsword and a fencing set with matching mithral rapier, parrying dagger and buckler.

"I was going to call it a day, but they told me I had a Minkaian swordsmith to see me. That's worth stalling my card game by a few minutes. They'll wait on me. But I like cards, Hachiro-san."

Randred gestures for Shimura to have a seat if he wanted, but to start speaking and say something impressive soon.

Shimura approached the desk and bowed low. "Thank you for seeing me, Lord Derexhi. Since you are in a hurry, I will get straight to the point. I am looking for an investor to finance a smithy in the Capitol district. Here is an example of my work." Shimura took the cold iron katana from his belt and layed it on the desk still sheathed.

The katana spoke for itself, and hopefully for Shimura as well. The subtle curve, the way the hamon crested from a gentle swell to a crashing wave, even the menuki on the handle, which were each of a small fae sitting on a turtle, were expertly crafted. Shimura waited in silence.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So Shimura is his family name and Hachiro is his personal name. Which means, yes he tend to go only by his family name. Not that anything you've written needs to change. It's just been a bit ambiguous and I wasn't sure if I ever clarified it or not. >.>

Also, this is an odd idea, but would it be appropriate to roll a Craft check as diplomacy in this instance?
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2015-08-07 at 08:53 AM.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi

Sarenrae was one of the most respected deities of northern Garund. The sun shone bright and hot on the sands, but the sun goddess was kind and merciful. To see her temple in such a state of disrepair saddened Zuberi.

His thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the Varisian men. This area of the city was of a decidedly seedier quality; these men did not appear very trustworthy. Nevertheless, Zuberi stood his ground, making no attempt to hide. Considering his height and build, it would be foolish to underestimate him, even without obvious weapons and armor.

He waited for the men to draw nearer.

14. - Top - End - #134

Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Irčne pays for her suite and is given a pair of keys, one for the door and another for the chest at the foot of her bed. Unfortunately, she can't judge the quality of the locks. The suite is sparsely decorated with a bed for two on a pine frame, a dresser, a foot locker and a shabby oil landscape painting signed by an R. Mutt, or possibly a Muth. The one wide window looks out north west to the a rocky stretch of beach and the sea beyond. There's no roof access to her window on the second floor, so if someone wanted to break in, they'd have to either climb up the sheer brick wall, hang from the ledge above or else employ magic.

After taking a moment to admire the view and the security of the room, Irčne stowed her belongings (save her money) in the chest and returned to Valamir at the bar, taking a look around the common room.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    As before, looking for anything of note in the common room - notices, trophies, interesting people...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Still a while until dinner time, the common room of the Old Fang is empty except for Valamir, Irčne and the Chelish teenager napping in the comfy looking chair near the hearth. He has a straight, thin nose and his short blond hair has been lightly greased and carefully combed straight back. He wears a reinforced leather doublet and tall boots in matching black leather. An expensive looking mithral short sword with a circular emerald mounted on the pommel is tucked into his belt. Ol' Mam is busy in the kitchen, making biscuits and preparing for the dinner rush.

The walls of the tavern are decorated with preserved and mounted sea creatures. Apart from an impressive blue marlin and a dog-sized lobster/scorpion, what stands out the most is the head of a barracuda displayed prominently on the wall opposite the entrance. Its gaping mouth is over two feet wide. Close inspection reveals that part of its skull has been pieced back together and some of the missing flesh carefully replaced with clay and paint. Whatever killed the creature quite literally beat its brains out.

Zuberi

As the men draw nearer (20 feet), it's obvious from their stagger that they're drunk, but the smell of liquor and vomit removes any doubt. The first man, still rambling in heavily slurred Varisian appears even worse off than his friend. The second demands, "He asked you a question, gadjo! What, you don't speak Varisian? Vorbiți ****ing Varisă?"

Shimura

Looking over the blade, Randred is visibly impressed, though he makes an attempt not to show it. Shimura's craftsmanship would at least rival the best smiths in the city and the sword spoke for itself.

"It is your work, isn't it? Not something you bought from a trader?" he asks skeptically. "No, most Tian weapons in the city are cheap imitations. This is a fine sword."

He replaces the blade in the scabbard and hands it back. "If I set you up in my workshop for now, will you complete a commission for me? That way we'll have solid proof of your skills. Have you worked with mithral before?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-07 at 11:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Valamir, meanwhile downstairs in the common area, finds himself alone apart from Ol' Mam (busy starting dinner for the rush in an hour) and the blond young man with the fancy short sword he saw earlier. The lad has fallen asleep in one of two overstuffed chairs by the hearth. There isn't a fire going because it's the middle of summer.
    Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Still a while until dinner time, the common room of the Old Fang is empty except for Valamir, Irčne and the Chelish teenager napping in the comfy looking chair near the hearth. He has a straight, thin nose and his short blond hair has been lightly greased and carefully combed straight back. He wears a reinforced leather doublet and tall boots in matching black leather. An expensive looking mithral short sword with a circular emerald mounted on the pommel is tucked into his belt. Ol' Mam is busy in the kitchen, making biscuits and preparing for the dinner rush.

The walls of the tavern are decorated with preserved and mounted sea creatures. Apart from an impressive blue marlin and a dog-sized lobster/scorpion, what stands out the most is the head of a barracuda displayed prominently on the wall opposite the entrance. Its gaping mouth is over two feet wide. Close inspection reveals that part of its skull has been pieced back together and some of the missing flesh carefully replaced with clay and paint. Whatever killed the creature quite literally beat its brains out.

As Irčne joined him at the bar, Valamir stared about the room, examining various items. As his gaze was drawn to the sleeping teenager, Valamir looked more carefully at the lad, gesturing toward him and speaking softly to Irčne, "Young man, expensive clothes and blade. Some minor noble's son, perhaps, out for an evening of adventure and romance?" He grinned and thought to himself that he'd keep an eye on him for a bit, and see if anything interesting happened. "How's your room look? Worth the price, do you think? I've half a mind to visit one or two other taverns, but I suppose this is as good a place as any for tonight."

17. - Top - End - #137

Having been studiously examining the barracuda's head, Irčne turned back to Valamir as he gestured toward the lad. "Perhaps. It's the most likely story, at any rate." At his other question, she responded, "Pretty good, especially for 2.5 gp. And rather difficult to break into from the outside, by the looks of it, if you're worried about that sort of thing. Ocean view, too." She smiled wryly. "I actually wouldn't be adverse to a little tavern-crawling, if only to try and find some work notices." Her shoulders sagged a little. "It makes sense, honestly - we clergy of Desna are usually a pretty itinerant lot, so of course the temple's not really likely to be hiring. But I am likely going to need funds of sort, sooner rather than later. Either through mercenary work or dancing - I'm not overtly picky." She hit Valamir with a questioning gaze. "You haven't seen a billboard of any sort in here, have you? I know taverns usually have one but all I've seen are the trophies. Although, that one with the barracuda is impressive."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi observed the approaching men, his face an expressionless mask. Initially vaguely disgusted by their appearance and behavior, he found himself harboring a certain sense of pity for them. They seemed spoiling for violence, but he attributed most of their behavior to intoxication.

There were times when silence was the best response, and Zuberi deemed his current situation to be one of those instances. He remained standing, gazing motionless and unblinking at the sots, silent. Does the mountain care when the wind howls?

Spoiler
    Show

Zuberi will spare them a Sense Motive if one hasn't been rolled already.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    Having been studiously examining the barracuda's head, Irčne turned back to Valamir as he gestured toward the lad. "Perhaps. It's the most likely story, at any rate." At his other question, she responded, "Pretty good, especially for 2.5 gp. And rather difficult to break into from the outside, by the looks of it, if you're worried about that sort of thing. Ocean view, too." She smiled wryly. "I actually wouldn't be adverse to a little tavern-crawling, if only to try and find some work notices." Her shoulders sagged a little. "It makes sense, honestly - we clergy of Desna are usually a pretty itinerant lot, so of course the temple's not really likely to be hiring. But I am likely going to need funds of sort, sooner rather than later. Either through mercenary work or dancing - I'm not overtly picky." She hit Valamir with a questioning gaze. "You haven't seen a billboard of any sort in here, have you? I know taverns usually have one but all I've seen are the trophies. Although, that one with the barracuda is impressive."

"It is serendipitous that you should say that, for I sat in this very bar earlier and read that very billboard," He noted, pointing at the billboard. "Between you and me, I think the crab is probably worth twenty-to-forty gold more than our esteemed proprietress is offering."

Spoiler: The Billboard
    Show
    On a billboard near the bar, Valamir spots three wanted posters. The first, with a drawing of a goblin wringing a puppy's neck, offers a bounty of ten gold per goblin ear. Which Valamir takes to mean that a dead goblin is worth twenty gold crowns, supposing he'd survived up to this point with both intact. The second, showing an enormous crab being stuffed into a pot, informs him that Ol' Mam herself will pay fifty gold for anyone who catches a giant crab. The third, with a bowman lurking behind a tree, says that the Deadeye's Lodge is looking for volunteers to help them crack down on banditry in the hinterlands around the city and offers a reward of fifty gold for every highwayman you kill, or two-hundred and fifty if you can prove they were part of the leadership, and a thousand gold for taking out whoever is in charge of the whole operation.

20. - Top - End - #140

Irčne gazed over at the billboard, eyeing one notice in particular.
    So Royce really wasn't kidding about the whole monster hunting thing. Well then. This presents as good of an excuse as any to go see him.

A light blush passed over her cheeks as the memory of his immensely broad shoulders passed through her head once more.

"Well. That notice about the bandits definitely looks promising, at the very least. Maybe even the one about the goblins." Irčne rubbed her chin. "As for the crab... maybe wait on that one to see what our hostess can do with her cooking. Depending on how good the food is it might be okay to take a little hit on that."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Ol' Mam sticks her head out of the kitchen and yells, "If you lot are looking for some work, I've got rats in the cellar like you wouldn't believe! Ha! Only joking, only joking. Who do you think it was that brained that barracuda?"

The blond boy snorts, awakened by the sudden noise. He glances annoyed over the chair back, but his expression changes when he sees the two looking at the job board. Still sitting across the room he says, "The goblin problem is worse than they're letting on. They've been breeding out of control in the sewers for a decade or more."

Zuberi

Spoiler: Zuberi
    Show
    You gather that the two men, in addition to being totally sloshed, are more than just spoiling for a fight. They're cutthroats and they have no qualms about taking your possessions with or without your life. However, their brashness (and poor judgement) is almost entirely fueled by alcohol. You may attempt to Intimidate them to avoid the fight.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-09 at 12:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

It dawned on Zuberi that these men meant him harm. Despite being outnumbered, he felt oddly calm. He took a low, wide stance, arms outstretched, palms flat, fingers curled. The snake stance. Like the serpent, he would give them one clear warning before he struck.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll throw in an Intimidate; it's unlikely to work, but whatevs: (1d20-1)[9]

I'll also roll initiative, should it prove relevant: (1d20+2)[13]

23. - Top - End - #143

Show
    Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

Ol' Mam sticks her head out of the kitchen and yells, "If you lot are looking for some work, I've got rats in the cellar like you wouldn't believe! Ha! Only joking, only joking. Who do you think it was that brained that barracuda?"

The blond boy snorts, awakened by the sudden noise. He glances annoyed over the chair back, but his expression changes when he sees the two looking at the job board. Still sitting across the room he says, "The goblin problem is worse than they're letting on. They've been breeding out of control in the sewers for a decade or more."

Irčne turned toward the blond boy. "Really, now? I don't suppose you could tell us more, Mister?.."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously: let's make a deal.
    Show
    Shimura

Looking over the blade, Randred is visibly impressed, though he makes an attempt not to show it. Shimura's craftsmanship would at least rival the best smiths in the city and the sword spoke for itself.

"It is your work, isn't it? Not something you bought from a trader?" he asks skeptically. "No, most Tian weapons in the city are cheap imitations. This is a fine sword."

He replaces the blade in the scabbard and hands it back. "If I set you up in my workshop for now, will you complete a commission for me? That way we'll have solid proof of your skills. Have you worked with mithral before?"

Shimura bowed again as he accepted the weapon back. "I can do that. Am I to understand that the agreement is when I prove myself capable you'll finance my business? I have worked with mithral before, but it has been a while. What kind of piece did you have in mind?"
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2015-08-09 at 08:48 PM. Reason: mixed tenses

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Vai and Alessandra

Vai and Alessandra exit the shrine through a hole in the roof, imperceptible from street level. A moldy pile of discarded rags provides a soft landing at the back of the building. While not impossible to reenter via through, the climb up the mottled stones was a difficult one. If it hadn't before, it dawns on you now how the Tower Girls got their name. Perhaps some climbing lessons would benefit you in the near future.

From there, the two able to go unseen as they take the back avenues out of Underbridge and head to the Dockway.

Vai and Alessandra

Scouting out Beacon's Point, the pair first arrive at what they soon learn is Jaijarko's Castle -- an odd name for a precariously built fire hazard of tenements piled atop one another. At a glance, there's no telling how many souls live in and around this shanty town. People leer out of their windows and doorways.

Passing what must be the main entrance to the residential complex they spot four consciously dressed guards or enforcers dressed in short red jackets with bright brass buttons. They're armed with crossbows and rapiers.

One of the four, a skinny Chelish man, calls out, "Hey! I like your curls, love! Want to make some coin? It'll match your pretty hair!"

"Better charge him for the whole hour upfront, girl. It's good money for two minutes work," says the one woman among them with a sigh.

Vai and Alessandra

Vai paused for a moment before winking at Alessandra and stepping closer to the four guards with a coquettish smile.

"How could I say no to a man in uniform? But I hope you have somewhere private, handsome - I might get a bit tongue-tied if your friends are watching."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nef, I'd like to fade to black and us my Profession skill along with a a Bluff check to discreetly get some details out of this guy regarding the Night Scales.

Profession (Courtesan): (1d20+14)[20]

Bluff: (1d20+14)[30]

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Valamir watched the young man with silent interest, waiting to see how he would answer Irčne.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nothing to say in character just yet.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Zuberi

Perhaps they were not a drunk as Zuberi first thought. A ruse? Without warning they bolt in opposite directions and move to flank with precise timing, producing rusty short swords from behind their backs and lunging.

"Stupid gadjo. You came to the wrong neighborhood!"
    Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Thug 1 Attack (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage (2d6+1)[13]
    Spoiler: If Threat
    Show
    Thug 1 Confirm (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage (1d6+1)[5]

Thug 2 Attack (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage (2d6+1)[12]
    Spoiler: If Threat
    Show
    Thug 2 Confirm (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage (1d6+1)[3]

No matter. Their blows were clumsy and easily dodged.

Valamir and Irčne
    The Old Fang, Dockway

"Asher,"
    he answers, kicking his boots up and lurching out of the chair. "Goblins are intelligent (sort of) but they're like any other beast. Plenty of food and a lack of predators and they'll breed out of control. They've been feeding on the scraps of the city for years and they're fairly safe in the sewer. Down there, they can easily avoid most monsters that would eat them. The watch doesn't want to start a panic, but they've gotten so numerous that they're starting to venture out at night. First pets go missing, then it will be babies."

He swallows hard and unknowingly clenches the pommel of his sword. "I'd like to do something about it, but going down there alone is suicide, no matter how good you are."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-10 at 06:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

In an instant, rusty blades lashed out at Zuberi's unarmored flesh. However, even flat-footed, such was his training that he easily dodged the attacks. Zeberi's limbs moved like lightning, lashing out at his assailants. First, he tried a solid punch to the head in an attempt to leave the target stunned, before performing a low sweep with his leg, attempting to unbalance his foe. Finally, he delivered a punishing kick to the abdomen. Each move flowed into the next as Zuberi's body unwound like a coiled serpent.

Spoiler
    Show

I believe both of these gentlemen are within melee range, so Zuberi will perform a full attack action. He will strike for nonlethal damage.

One guy gets a Stunning Fist attack, DC 16 Fort. save or stunned for 1 round if it hits.
    Attack: (1d20+11)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[12]

If that hits and stuns, he will then attempt to trip the other guy with his second attack (this does not provoke); if the original target is not stunned, he will attempt to trip him instead:
    CMB: (1d20+13)[15]

If he successfully trips, he will use his last attack against him, getting a +4 bonus for attacking a prone target; if no trip attempt was successful, subtract 4 from the attack:
    Attack: (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]

He will also take a 5 foot step to get out of a flank, staying adjacent to any prone target.

Should the prone target attempt to stand, or some other movement provoke, I'll roll an attack of opportunity here:
    Attack: (1d20+11)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[9]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2015-08-10 at 06:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

...And with a twirl, Zuberi delivered a spinning roundhouse kick in a final display of martial prowess.

Spoiler
    Show

For fun, I'll blow 1 ki point and use a swift action to make a ki strike, throwing in an extra attack; either target will do, but I'll avoid attacking a stunned target it it's an option:
    Attack: (1d20+11)[27]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[8]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2015-08-10 at 06:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Zuberi

A spray of blood left the first thug's mouth before he hit the ground. A follow up kick left him insensate, but convulsing. The roundhouse catches the second thug in the shoulder and sends him staggering away. It was hard to tell if he spoke Varisian or if his garbled exclamations were anything other than confounded rage as he withdrew with all possible haste.

Spoiler: That was easy...
    Show
    +800 XP! The first thug is unconscious and hurt, but it doesn't appear to be life threatening. The second is now 60 feet down the road and you have a clear line to charge.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-10 at 09:21 PM.