New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Peril and Fame (IC)

"Easy, Valamir." Irčne reached out with a gloved hand and brought down his arm. "No-one else I've spoken with about monsters mentioned anything about a dragon either, and I get the distinct impression they'd come down like a ton of bricks if they knew. I think we were the first to find out about that." Turning away, she squinted down the corridor. "It looks like the only route going west is south down this tunnel, so our best bet of finding the goblins is going to be there. Do you still want to take point?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-08-23 at 07:06 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Valamir nodded, "Yes, though if you think I may be crazy for saying so, don't be afraid to speak up. I just agreed to kill goblins for a dragon, so I am not entirely certain that I am in the right state of mind. I still would like to know how he got down here though; perhaps some apprentice wizard flushed his dragon hatchling down here when it grew too big?"
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Asher stammered out an apology when Valamir emerged from the tunnel. Of course he had no idea that there was anything so dangerous only this far into the sewers. At the least, he offers to buy Valamir a few glasses of wine.

He says quietly, "Dragons have great hearing, so perhaps we should discuss his origin elsewhere?"

To the south, a T-intersection leads east and west. Back to the north, an unexplored branch leads east. At the southern junction, the party finds the partially eaten corpse of a goblin that looks like it had been set upright against the wall as a warning. A pair of dire rats scatter when the adventurers draw near.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-23 at 05:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

"It was just a joke," he muttered. More loudly then as the group moved away, "See this is where someone who is an expert on dragons comes in. And while that is the first dragon I have ever met (and hopefully the last, I might add), he was awfully polite, don't you think? He did mention the goblins had treasure, but only demanded the one object, which makes me think...this business about "The Eye of Lamashtu" strikes me as odd as well. How would sewer-dwelling goblins come by some great emerald that has a name? Any of you heard of this gem? And once we do kill the goblins and bring the emerald to the dragon (let's call him Ironscale; I'd call that a suitably impressive dragon name, wouldn't you?) what's to stop him from eating me?"

Valamir rambled on for some time like this, perhaps an after effect of a close brush with death, as they drew closer to the goblin corpse. Once there, he checked to see if the remains had anything useful or valuable.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

A safe distance away from the goblin, Asher muses, "He seems pretty shrewd. I mean, he took you hostage instead of fighting all of us. Technically he deescalated the situation. Most humans can't think that far ahead."

The goblin's body holds nothing of value. Whatever killed it was strong enough to rip an arm off and then impale the humerus through its stomach. Likely the dragon had left it here to demonstrate he wouldn't tolerate any goblins passing this junction.

Spoiler: Irčne
    Show
    Irčne knows quite a lot about Lamashtu, but she's never specifically heard of any relic or jewel called her "eye". It's likely the goblins came up with the name of the jewel, rather than stealing some religious artifact. Still, it must be one damned big emerald.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi kept an eye on the group's rear as they proceeded, curious if the dragon might be following them. In this environment, he probably stood little chance of spotting it. The situation was clearly growing more and more strange, and he did not know what to make of it. Valamir seemed to be in great spirits for a man who had just survived a dragon mauling; truly, the man was made of deceptively resilient stuff.

7. - Top - End - #217

Irčne pondered Valamir's question regarding the Eye of Lamashtu as he searched the goblin's corpse.

"Well, as a priestess of Desna, part of my regimen includes studying the various religions of Golarion - and that includes her sworn enemy. As far as I know, there's no notable relic called by that name, but goblins are noted for their worship of Lamashtu. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably came up with it on their own. As for the dragon trying to eat us when we get back with the emerald... worst comes to worst, we can always chuck it in and run for it."

Irčne laid a comforting hand on Valamir's shoulder, clearly mildly concerned for his well-being.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Irene remains ready to continue west whenever everyone else is.

Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-08-23 at 08:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Continuing on down the western passage, the party comes to a turn to the south. Valamir immediately hears chattering around the corner. Scouting just ahead he spies three goblins milling about a square column at the entrance to what must have once been a storeroom for the builders. One picks his nose. One is gleefully tearing into a raw dire rat that's still kicking and biting. The third urinates in a tall arc into the water below the platform. He waggles his hips back and forth and sings to himself in the goblin language while trying to sink a floating piece of excrement.

Using scrap wood and rusted pipes, they've erected a crude 3 feet tall barricade along the path. In the water, a heaping pile of filth has collected against it as it partially obstructs the sewer's flow.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Holding his hand up for the others to stop, Valamir counts off three fingers to show the number of goblins. He creeps back to the others, and whispers as quietly as he can, "Three goblins about fifteen feet behind a barricade. Ideas?"
    Last edited by Othniel; 2015-08-24 at 04:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220

"Maybe see if we can lure them out from behind it. If we can get them to round the corner, we can take them by surprise - and I have a spell that should render them completely helpless."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

"If that's what you want, I can certainly get goblins to chase me," Valamir states with a smirk.

12. - Top - End - #222

"I was thinking more along the lines of luring them around with a noise of some sort."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai and Alessandra
    Shrine of Sarenrae, Underbridge

Returning to the fortified shrine, Vai deposited their heavy sacks on the floor once the Tower Girls allowed them entry. Coins of platinum, gold, silver, and copper spilled across the floor alongside silver and brass relics from ancient Thassilon. She felt a strange twinge of murderous protectiveness as the girls' eyes lit with covetous light, but she pushed it down. After all, the true prize remained safely in her pack.

"Well, girls, it would appear the Crow Piling holds more mystery than a few musty chambers. And more danger, too."

Vai turned to help Alessandra into the shrine.

"I would appreciate it if you'd watch over Alessandra while she recovers from our endeavors, Ayala. For myself, I believe a walk around town to find a mage of sufficient...licentiousness to be of help to us is in order."

She cast her eyes across the assemblage.

"I was hoping cousin Terisha might volunteer to be my guide."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-08-25 at 05:50 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi crouches low, risking a look at the goblins' crude barricade.
    "Such an obstacle poses no impediment to me. I can get behind them. We could attack from both sides. I find it unlikely they would risk leaving their defensive position, but I have also heard goblins are not terribly intelligent."

15. - Top - End - #225

"Sounds good to me. Much less likely that they might get away. We'd probably have to make it quick to compensate for the resulting loudness, though."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Vai
    Six's Tower, Outside Magnimar

After a bit of legwork, Vai learns that two arcanists might be discreet enough to appraise what she'd discovered. First, there's the Pathfinder venture captain and a woman of means, Sheila Heidmarch. While Sheila might even purchase some of the Thassilonian relics and unlikely to literally stab Vai in the back, she was a Pathfinder and an upstanding figure in the city.

The shadier alternative was the mononymous Six, a warlock who lived about a mile out of town along the eastern road. Known to most people in Magnimar as an eccentric (and possible a deviant) the man rarely left the leaning tower he called home. Rumors (not particularly credible ones) said that Six had passed his two hundredth year. His supposed long life had been attributed to the Sun Orchid Elixer, achieving a state of arcane perfection, or making a deal with Asmodeus.

Terisha and Vai find at the base of his tower a garish red door and a bell with a painted sign that reads: For important arcane matters: Ring. Otherwise, sod off!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai

Vai quirked her head at the...directness of the door's message. Clearly this Six was not a man to be trifled with. Shooting a glance at Terisha, she pulled on the bell.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

"All right, let's do it," Valamir confirms, "By the way, do any of you speak Goblin?"

19. - Top - End - #229

Irčne shook her head. "Aklo, Auran, and Celestial, yes, but not Goblin. Ready whenever you are."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-08-26 at 10:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hydrabaiting Competition
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Shimura
    Alabaster District

Taking in the sights of the Alabaster District on his way to the site of his future business, Shimura passes not far from the sprawling hippodrome known as Serpent's Run. In the parkway between the main road and the immense sports facility, fliers have been posted to every lamp post and barkers yell at passersby, enticing them to come tomorrow for an event they call 'Hydra Baiting'. Judging by the several serpentine heads encircling the text of the fliers, they mean that quite literally.

A teenage boy shoves a flier at Shimura's face. "How about it? You look like you can afford good seats, huh? Got a girlfriend? Bring her! When the heads start flying, girls are all like, 'Oh, it's so horrible! Hold me!' And they swoon. Or they're totally into it an that's even better. So, you want two tickets, right?"

Shimura took the flyer to read closer. He'd never seen such a sport. "Just one ticket would be fine."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm assuming the tickets are reasonably priced also, sorry for taking so long
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2015-08-26 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Vai

Shortly after the bell rings, a raven descends from an open tower window and perches on the wooden bracket over the sign. He studies Vai and Terisha, ticking his head from side to side, apparently fascinated by anything shiny on their persons. After a few seconds he asks, "Yes? Well get on wiv it. 'aven't got all day. Wot you wont?" in a thick accent that belonged to the poor side of Westcrown.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Vai

Vai looked up in surprise as the raven addressed them, but recovered her composure quickly.

"Forgive me, I am unaccustomed to discussing business with birds. We have need of someone with magical skill, and were told you were the one to come talk to. Might we discuss the finer details somewhere more comfortable than your front steps?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy:
    (1d20+14)[22]

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Zuberi nods to his companions. He eyes the passage beyond the barricade, next to the goblin nearest the rear. He breathes out, letting the pure ki power flow through his limbs. Seemingly effortlessly, he hurls himself through the acrid air, leaping over the confused goblins as if his body weighed nothing. As he lands, he takes a wide stance, fists ready for battle.

Show

Okay, if we've got a surprise round, Zuberi will spend it making a crazy Crouching-Tiger leap, spending 1 ki point. He always counts as having a running start.

Acrobatics: (1d20+45)[62]

Zuberi will be aiming to land next to the goblin farthest from us, such that any attempts to flee or seek help will provoke attacks of opportunity.

I guess I'll also roll initiative: (1d20+2)[11]

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Vai and Alessandra

Returning to the fortified shrine, Vai deposited their heavy sacks on the floor once the Tower Girls allowed them entry. Coins of platinum, gold, silver, and copper spilled across the floor alongside silver and brass relics from ancient Thassilon. She felt a strange twinge of murderous protectiveness as the girls' eyes lit with covetous light, but she pushed it down. After all, the true prize remained safely in her pack.

"Well, girls, it would appear the Crow Piling holds more mystery than a few musty chambers. And more danger, too."

Vai turned to help Alessandra into the shrine.

"I would appreciate it if you'd watch over Alessandra while she recovers from our endeavors, Ayala. For myself, I believe a walk around town to find a mage of sufficient...licentiousness to be of help to us is in order."

She cast her eyes across the assemblage.

"I was hoping cousin Terisha might volunteer to be my guide."

Vai and Alessandra

"Veeeeery funny, Vai", Alessandra says as she stands up a little straighter and tugs her arm away. She's hurt, but the bleeding's been staunched and she can walk on her own. Her scarf's been used as a makeshift bandage, though luckily prestidigitation is perfect for getting bloodstains out of clothing. "If you want to get that stuff identified, go ahead. I think I'm going to go find a temple, then spend some time in a tavern. I'll meet you back here later."

Show

Since I don't want to make us do a back-and-forth while she pays for healing, I'll just say that Alessandra wants to pay for 30 hp healed, and isn't picky about which temple to do it at. 3 castings of Infernal Healing can do that without having to roll a bunch of dice, which costs 30 gp by the standard metric. After that business is concluded, she'll find a tavern to stay at, pay 2 gp for good accomodations, rest for 8 hours (to get some sleep and heal a little more) and put up 1 more gp for a good meal and a couple of drinks.

I'm not sure how much detail we're supposed to track expenditures with, but in any case I'd guess this uses about 12 hours of time and costs 33 gp in total.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

Valamir creeps carefully up to the barrier and peers over, watching as Zuberi flies through the air. He almost reaches for his curve blade, but thinks better of it, instead choosing his bow. Kneeling down, he peers over the barricade, taking care to remain hidden for just the right moment.

Show
    Move action to stealth up to the barricade and draw his bow. I think that's a double move, so as long as I don't do anything else, I take no penalty.
    Stealth roll: (1d20+15)[20]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Valamir, Irčne, and Zuberi
    Sewers, Dockway

The southernmost goblin stares at Zuberi, mouth agape and finger still plunged deep into his flared nostril. The one just behind is far better prepared. Despite his trousers falling down around his ankles in his surprise, he leaps out of them and sets on Zuberi in a frenzy of claws and fangs. As the monster's jagged black claws raked across unprotected skin, Zbueri would perhaps recall that goblins weren't supposed to have dirty yellow fingernails instead of claws.

Still safe on the other side of the column, the last goblin merely lets out a deranged cackle and sequels, "**** him up, Zog!"

Show
    Zuberi takes 5 damage. The party may now act. Only Goblin 3 (southernmost) has not acted this round and remains flat footed.

Spoiler: Valamir
    Show
    Now close enough to inspect the goblins better, Valamir can see that the goblins are hunched with overlarge shoulders and bulging muscles. Their fingers end in long claws and they don't appear to have any weapons on them. They wear tough boiled leather shirts beneath their rags.

Vai

The raven stares at Vai's possessions for several long seconds before he squawks and ruffles his feathers. Clearly agitated, he flies back to the open window to speak with its master. A minute passes before the red door creeks open. A mess of wavy black hair peers out, attached to a pale thin face with a patchy beard. "Yes, yes, come in then. Don't just hang on my doorstep like you're confused encyclopedia saleswomen. Biscuits? I mean... have you got any because I'm out. Haven't done the shopping since... what day is it?"

Leaving the door open, the man retreats into the tower. The first floor is devoted to a cozy sitting room with mismatched but comfortable looking furniture. Books and assorted papers, fliers and scrolls are strewn about. One leather bound tome has been wedged under the couch cushions; the spine reads: The Lost Art of Reading Troll Entrails. Over the mantle, there's an enormous oil painting of a nude woman sprawling over a bear skin rug. A roaring, heat-less fire is in the hearth.

"You'll have tea, won't you? Course you'll have tea. You're civilized people! Civilized people take afternoon tea. Erm. Morning tea?"

He scrambles for some teacups from the top cupboard. His already too-short silk robe inches up uncomfortably far as he strains to reaches for the good porcelain.

Shimura
    Alabaster District

The boy gawks at Shimura, trying his best to look positively shocked. "You mean to say that a tall, dark and handsome gentleman such as yourself cannot secure a date, even with short notice? You, sir? A fine upstanding member of high society such as yourself who walks little old ladies across the street and pays his taxes on time? Oh, I refuse to believe that sir. You'd best buy a second ticket just in case some beauty throws herself at you on the way to the event!"

He tears off two billetts from his book and offers them over. "Two gold, sir. Best seats in the stadium! You won't regret it."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-08-30 at 01:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir

As Zuberi engages the Goblins in combat, Valamir quickly nocks and looses an arrow at the goblin in front of him.

Show
    Attack roll vs G2: (1d20+8)[13]
    Damage: (1d6)[6]
    Sneak attack damage, if applicable: (3d6)[13]

28. - Top - End - #238

Rushing around the corner at the start of combat, Irčne skidded to a halt behind Valamir and, channeling a burst of energy into her left hand, raised it in the air before bringing it down, fist clenched, against her breast. Her whole body shimmered briefly before disappating, her eyes growing intense with the start of combat.

Show
    As outlined in the OOC, Irene will now move up behind Valamir to K47 and cast Sanctuary on herself. Any goblin trying to attack her must make a DC 17 Will save or it loses the relevant action and thus wastes that part of its turn.

Spoiler: OOC - DM Only
    Show
    While I'm fairly certain that we're still in the dark, now that combat has begun, if there were any sort of light or ability to see color, a Perception check of an appropriate DC (anywhere between 15 to 20 depending on your preference) would now reveal the typical heterochromia characteristic of Changelings.

Also, the Encyclopedia Salesman sketch is one of my favorites. :) You have good taste.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-08-29 at 01:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Tickets, please!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post

Shimura took the flyer to read closer. He'd never seen such a sport. "Just one ticket would be fine."

Show
    I'm assuming the tickets are reasonably priced also, sorry for taking so long

Shimura feels a light touch on his arm, and an amused, accented voice says "I'd listen to the boy and buy the second ticket. I can't promise to swoon, but I can promise to admire the fine craftsmanship of your swords. Plus, the show does look to be very entertaining, if the flyer's anything to go by."

An androgynous-looking girl is standing at Shimura's side. She stands about 5'4" and is slender of build.

"What do you say? If it's terrible, I'll pay you back for the ticket."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Valamir, Irčne, and Zuberi
    Sewers, Dockway

Zuberi's composure was as stone, even as the beast's foul talons scraped across his flesh. Their twisted deformity did not give him pause, and he lashed out at the two goblins crouched nearby.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    Zuberi will initiate a flurry of blows, spending a Ki Point to get an extra attack in. The first two will be against G2, while the second set will be against G3

G2 Attack 1:
    (1d20+11)[23]

Damage:
    (1d8+5)[7]

G2 Attack 2:
    (1d20+11)[25]

Damage:
    (1d8+5)[11]

G3 Attack 1:
    (1d20+11)[27]

Damage:
    (1d8+5)[12]

G3 Attack 2:
    (1d20+6)[18]

Damage:
    (1d8+5)[9]

Vai

Sinking graciously into a chair, Vai flashes a smile at the chaotic mess that was almost certainly the warlock they'd come to see.

"Tea would be lovely, Mr. Six. It is Mr. Six, isn't it? My name is Vai Merejan and this is my cousin Terisha. Apologies, but we didn't think to bring anything for tea. I'm dreadfully embarrassed."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.