New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Migraineur (Flaw)

Weee for headaches!

Migraines
    You suffer from a neurological disease that can cause serious pain and impairment. Each day, you have a (30 - your CON score) percent chance of suffering an attack, which deals d6 INT, WIS, and CHA damage, these effects lasting for 2d10+4 hours (starting from the time you wake up).

Two consecutive days of attacks causes fatigue until you receive a full day of rest with no attack.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-06-14 at 02:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Migraineur (Flaw)

Yay! A potentially crippling flaw to casters, less so for everyone else!

Meh. Could you have less straight ability damage, and maybe some minor pain effects, like nerfed symbol of pain?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I like it. Interesting flaw.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Yay! A potentially crippling flaw to casters, less so for everyone else!
    The ability points can be restored by Lesser Restoration (I'm assuming that the damage is considered temporary and not permanent), which is a 300gp potion. Crippling at low levels, but controllable once you can afford to keep a stock of potions.

Nice, meaningful, flaw, although I would have to insist that it be used only in low-level-starting games. When are the dice rolled for the chance of a migraine, and when does the attack begin?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Damage would be considered temporary.

Determining whether or not you get a migraine would happen at the start of the day.

Attack begins start of the day, unless the DM might want to have it start at another time...

Yeah, migraines can occur at any time, but I found it hard to come up with a mechanic that determined what hour of the day that it'd be.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-06-14 at 02:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You can always just say "at random", and allow the DM to figure out how to randomize it, but: 1d12 for the hour, and 1d2 for am/pm, easy.

Instead of the fatigue, I'd say that while under the effects of the migraine you can't sleep, and that if you don't get enough sleep for two days you're fatigued until you do.

Which brings up the point that DnD needs some rules for lack of sleep, but that's a tangent.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I suppose d12, d2 thing works. I just didn't want to resort to using any silly dice...or perhaps coins.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm... Nice idea. One of the player characters in my campaign has migraine, but we usually just roleplay it.

But isn't d6 int-damage a bit too much? I mean, the average half-orc could potentially become as stupid as a horse because of a migraine-attack. The problem here will be to have it make sense, and at the same time be enough of a penalty to count as a flaw...
    OotSP :D
    Spoiler
    Show

My creations:
    Custom initiative system (shots)
    The Nameless [MitpII]
    D20 "total conversion" (will probably never be finished :P)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've never had the misfortune to have a full-blown migraine, but I do have sinus problems, and having a pain that starts between your eyes and ends in your teeth does make you inattentive, distracted, and generally stupid.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I suffer from migraines - and it often does cause a great amount of mental incapacitation. a full 6 damage may be too much, though (but then, it may not, as sometimes they can really get so severe that you can't really think, or want to think, but instead only have the desire to smash your head into some concrete).

Maybe d4? d4+1?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

How about using my rules for mental fatigue and mental exhaustion?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Howabout Whaa..?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Hang on a few minutes so I can do a search, I'll get you a link.
    [hr]
    Okay, here you go: Linky, and the relevant section:

Mentally Fatigued
    A mentally fatigued character takes a -2 penalty to all mental ability scores. This penalty can cause a character to be unable to cast spells or manifest powers for which he no longer has the prerequisite ability score (10 + spell/power level) and bonus spells gained from a high ability score while the penalty lasts. A mentally fatigued character becomes mentally exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause mental fatigue, or by casting a spell or manifesting a power with a casting/manifesting time of a swift or immediate action, or a spell/power modified by a metamagic/metapsionic feat. After 8 hours of complete rest, mentally fatigued characters are no longer mentally fatigued.

Mentally Exhausted
    A mentally exhausted character cannot cast any spells or manifest any powers with a casting/manifesting time of a swift or immediate action, or with a casting/manifesting time of more than 1 full round action. A mentally exhausted character casts spells and powers with casting/manifesting times of 1 standard action as a full-round action. If a spontaneous caster, the character cannot apply any metamagic feats to spells. A psionic character cannot become psionically focused or apply metapsionic feats to his powers. A mentally exhausted character takes a -6 penalty to all mental ability scores. This penalty can cause a character to be unable to cast spells or manifest powers for which he no longer has the prerequisite ability score (10 + spell/power level) and bonus spells gained from a high ability score while the penalty lasts. After 1 hour of complete rest, a mentally exhausted character becomes mentally fatigued. A mentally fatigued character becomes mentally exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause mental fatigue, or by casting a spell or manifesting a power with a casting/manifesting time of a swift or immediate action, or a spell/power modified by a metamagic/metapsionic feat.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, nice one, Deep Blue.

On the subject of sleep deprevation, I use a modified Fatigue Rule. Basically, Characters accrue Fatigue Points from various sources, which impose culmative -1 Penalties on all Attack and Damage Rolls, as well as Skill Checks. Seems to work well.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)