Display: Visual
    Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One creature within range
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Power Resistance: Yes
    Power Points: 1

You reach out to your target's mind and drain away his mental resources, dulling his thoughts and making them more sluggish.

The target becomes mentally fatigued (see below). The mental fatigue caused by this power lasts only for this power's duration, and this power has no effect when used on someone who is already mentally fatigued.

Augment: You can augment this power in the following ways:
    1. If you spend an additional 2 power points, this power no longer allows a saving throw.
    2. If you spend an additional 2 power points, this power's duration becomes "Instantaneous" and the effects last until removed in the normal manner.
    3. If you spend an additional 4 power points, this power causes the target to become mentally exhausted (see below) instead of mentally fatigued, and the saving throw entry becomes "Will partial", with a successful save meaning the target only becomes mentally fatigued, rather than mentally exhausted. If you augmented this power such that it no longer allows a saving throw in addition to this augmentation, then the portion of this augmentation relating to saving throws is negated.
    4. If you spend an additional 4 power points, this power affects all creatures in a cone-shaped emanation.
    Furthermore, for every 2 power points you spend augmenting this power, the save DC increases by 1.

Mentally Fatigued
    A mentally fatigued character takes a -2 penalty to all mental ability scores. This penalty can cause a character to be unable to cast spells or manifest powers for which he no longer has the prerequisite ability score (10 + spell/power level) and bonus spells gained from a high ability score while the penalty lasts. A mentally fatigued character becomes mentally exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause mental fatigue, or by casting a spell or manifesting a power with a casting/manifesting time of a swift or immediate action, or a spell/power modified by a metamagic/metapsionic feat. After 8 hours of complete rest, mentally fatigued characters are no longer mentally fatigued.

Mentally Exhausted
    A mentally exhausted character cannot cast any spells or manifest any powers with a casting/manifesting time of a swift or immediate action, or with a casting/manifesting time of more than 1 full round action. A mentally exhausted character casts spells and powers with casting/manifesting times of 1 standard action as a full-round action. If a spontaneous caster, the character cannot apply any metamagic feats to spells. A psionic character cannot become psionically focused or apply metapsionic feats to his powers. A mentally exhausted character takes a -6 penalty to all mental ability scores. This penalty can cause a character to be unable to cast spells or manifest powers for which he no longer has the prerequisite ability score (10 + spell/power level) and bonus spells gained from a high ability score while the penalty lasts. After 1 hour of complete rest, a mentally exhausted character becomes mentally fatigued. A mentally fatigued character becomes mentally exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause mental fatigue, or by casting a spell or manifesting a power with a casting/manifesting time of a swift or immediate action, or a spell/power modified by a metamagic/metapsionic feat.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-04-30 at 09:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: I feel as if my mind has been drained of its power... [Powers]

Veni, vidi, offensi.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: I feel as if my mind has been drained of its power... [Power]

haHA, Classic!
    Seriously, I like. Mentally fatigued...That is SO useful to me. I'm planning on GM'ing and could use ailments such as mentally fatigued/exhausted in my game. I also LOVE your psionic manifestation. Especially the little fluff on the end...
    You reach out to your target's mind and drain away his mental resources, dulling his thoughts and making them more sluggish.
    Minimalist in the most Marvelous way. The augmentations are keen-on as well.
    Mind if I make this manifestation available in my game? As well as the nwe ailments? In your credit, of course.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Of course. I'm glad you like it!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

This seems slightly overpowered. Ray of Exhaustion is a third level spell, and it requires a touch attack (admittedly, it does last longer, but the augumentation overcome that.) Actually, if you made this a third level equivalent power...
    {table]Category|Ray of Exhaustion|Psychic Drain|Victor
    DC|13+|11+|Ray of Exhaustion
    Saving Throw|Fortitude for fatiguedness|None|Psychic Drain
    Duration|1 minute per level|8 hours|Psychic Drain
    SR/PR|Yes|Yes|Tie
    Target|One|One|Tie[/table]

This is assuming use of the first two augumentations.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-04-30 at 04:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Ah, but a Ray of Exhaustion exhausts its target and fatigues it even on a successful save, while Psychic Drain, with the first two modifications, only ever mentally fatigues the target. Considering that, in this case, Psychic Drain automatically hits and affects the target, while Ray of Exhaustion sacrifices some of that certainty in exchange for a more debilitating effect, I'd say that they're pretty evenly balanced.

It stacks up pretty evenly against the waves of exhaustion/fatigue powers, as well.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-04-30 at 04:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Ah, but a Ray of Exhaustion exhausts its target and fatigues it even on a successful save, while Psychic Drain, with the first two modifications, only ever mentally fatigues the target. Considering that, in this case, Psychic Drain automatically hits and affects the target, while Ray of Exhaustion sacrifices some of that certainty in exchange for a more debilitating effect, I'd say that they're pretty evenly balanced.

It stacks up pretty evenly against the waves of exhaustion/fatigue powers, as well.
    Point.

Just wondering, but how do the first and third augumentations interact?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

... um. Good point. I'm not sure. I'll have to think about the best way to change that.

Ok, there. That should work now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I like it, particularly considering that I like my telepaths. It's a clear Illithid power too. It does feel a bit overdone though, but I'm not sure how.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Ok... Well, if you can put your finger on it, let me know.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Veni, vidi, offensi.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I came, I saw, I attacked? :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

I came, i saw, i bumped
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

You know, the "Furthermore, for every 2 power points you spend augmenting this power, the save DC increases by 1" part is completely worthless, as you just augment it with the first augmentation and voila, no need to pump up the save DC.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I think he's including that because it's a fact of psionics that for every 2 PP of augmentation, the DC climbs by 1 automatically.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any other circumstances that might cause mental fatigue or exhaustion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    I think he's including that because it's a fact of psionics that for every 2 PP of augmentation, the DC climbs by 1 automatically.
    Where'd you get that idea from? Why would they specifically state it in Mind Thrust if that was so?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    You know, the "Furthermore, for every 2 power points you spend augmenting this power, the save DC increases by 1" part is completely worthless, as you just augment it with the first augmentation and voila, no need to pump up the save DC.
    No, it isn't, since because augmentations are limited by manifester level, a 5th-level manifester might want to make someone mentally exhausted. He couldn't apply both the "no save" and the "mentally exhausting" augments, so the saving throw line would still apply, and the DC would be 2 points higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Are there any other circumstances that might cause mental fatigue or exhaustion?
    Yes, the spell rage of my improved Rage Mage PrC.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    Where'd you get that idea from? Why would they specifically state it in Mind Thrust if that was so?
    Well, I haven't read my XPH in a while, but I was under the impression that that was the case.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Caelestion, can you try to explain what you mean by "overdone"?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

While your descriptions of mental fatigue and exhaustion are useful to know, I think that they detract from what your power is actually doing. PErhaps this is how the main part of your power should read:

The target becomes mentally fatigued and takes a -2 penalty to all mental ability scores. This penalty can cause a character to be unable to cast spells or manifest powers for which he no longer has the prerequisite ability score (10 + spell/power level) and bonus spells gained from a high ability score.

The mental fatigue caused by this power lasts only for this power's duration, and this power has no effect when used on someone who is already mentally fatigued. Any bonus spells or powers the target lost access to whilst mentally fatigued are restored to them without loss.

If you leave out the bit about mental exhaustion (or alter it to be an augmentation), I think that would be better. I don't like the idea (from the target's point of view) that a mere 1st-level power can cause me to become mentally exhausted after doing just one mental action.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

*blinkblink*

But... using the power to make someone mentally exhausted is an augmentation...

And perhaps I should have formatted my OP better. I intended the definitions and descriptions of mental fatigue and mental exhaustion to be a supplement to the power.

I don't like the idea (from the target's point of view) that a mere 1st-level power can cause me to become mentally exhausted after doing just one mental action.
    Are you referring to this section of the description of mental fatigue?

A mentally fatigued character becomes mentally exhausted by ... casting a spell or manifesting a power with a casting/manifesting time of a swift or immediate action, or a spell/power modified by a metamagic/metapsionic feat.
    Note that only certain types of mental actions, which I judged to be more strenuous, can do this.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm. That shows that I really should not stay up to the small hours watching the snooker and then attempt to post intelligently on a forum...

But yes, I'd give my vote for slightly better formatting. Until mental fatigue/exhaustion becomes a part of the core rules, I think the effect should be in the actual power, not as an appendix beneath.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Well, the thing is that I created the conditions to go with my Rage Mage Redux, and I was trying to give them additional use outside that class.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-05-08 at 05:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Veni, vidi, offensi!
    Guess it's more like veni, vidi, wake the deadi.

About 9 posts up Winged One asked "Are there any other circumstances that might cause mental fatigue or exhaustion?"

Mental fatigue and exhaustion are currently being discussed in regard to PC sleep deprivation.

That topic can be found here.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice, if I was still playing 3.5e. Very well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!