New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 53 - The New Fluffy Overlords

The Wedding of Caroline and Steven

Izanami sneaks in with Hikari just the tiniest bit late, and grabs a spot on the groom's side.

Expectation and curiousity build, and everyone turns to look at the easternmost room on the south side. Who could possibly be officiating?

Stepping out from the room with a bright happy smile is a human woman of oriental appearance, black hair, dark eyes. She's slender but it is the build of a well-kept 35 year old. Her hair is done up in an interesting sort of short ponytail with jewel-bedecked golden pins. Her dress is in style one of the standard temple robes, but it is of a very pale white-gold color and the trim is swirled in black, blue, and red.

She walks over to stand beside Steven and Caroline facing the audience, beaming at the guests where there's a lot of unabashed shock going on right now.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Wedding]

Another couple sneak in just barely late. Leah and Alkania have no real reason to be here, no invitation, but why not? It sounds like quite an event.

Arlem smiles at the revelation. About what he expected, just didn't bother to list.
    This Tavlii rolls her eyes. Of course she would come down for this ceremony.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

[The Wedding!]

Of course, Jinkei is wondering what all the fuss is about. Who is this strangely-dressed lady, and why is everyone so shocked right now?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Wedding

Inari might have a pleasant, rare experience as the Linde's give her a very expectful silence but not exactly reverence. They weren't exactly told these sorts of things.
    Steven for his part, who was honestly expecting this with Tamamo setting up decorations (an absolutely mortifying revelation), gives the most respectful nod he can.
    He did look this up. There is absolutely nothing to say if you're supposed to bow when a God shows up for your wedding, or if they give up some stature since it isn't their wedding, or what. It was incredibly frustrating.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #335
    Pixie in the Playground

She smiles

Don't worry about it, Steven: this is your's and Caroline's special day.

Then she looks up and addresses the audience

Children, Family, Friends, Honored Guests: welcome! Today we are gathered to celebrate the union of Caroline Primerra and Steven Linde in the sacred bonds of wedlock.

She looks at the happy couple

Caroline, Steven: it is a rare day that I can take the time out to actually participate in the lives of those who look up to me. The sheer number of people whom I must take care of makes it quite simply impossible on more than very rare occasions. And that truly does make me sad, because I do care about all of you.

You see, I never started out to be a "goddess": I am just a botanist.

I love my creations and I have always taken pains to watch over them. And so when people first started to rely on a particular marsh plant... I wanted to help. I collaborated with a friend of mine to create the first foxes: creatures who would hunt in the mud as well as the dry, eat mice and birds, and otherwise make life better. As time went by, I gradually refined that design until nearly six thousand years ago, when I decided to try my hand at making my very own people.

Your people, the Vulpans. My children in a very literal sense as I myself carried Myobi and Myobu, gave birth to them, and raised them on my own in the town of WinterHearth. But I could not stay... and that was unacceptable to me. I was not willing for my children, my family to stand forlornly in a temple talking to the sky, and only seeing me once in a generation.

So I instituted the Messengers. Not "angels" who come and heartlessly deliver dictates or give commands, but my representatives on the world. People who could be there personally, individually, and give my family the attention they needed. People who could make this entire endeavor more real and more meaningful. Messengers who were chosen from among my children and offered the chance to help their people.

Messengers like you, Caroline and you, Steven will one day be.

And therefore I thought it most fitting that I come in person for this ceremony: the union of light and shadows, a Messenger of my dear friend and assistant Tamamo and one of my own. To show that I do not disdain the company of my followers. I'm very proud of you all!

She pauses to take out a handkerchief and dab at her eyes

Apparently also to show that there is some truth to the accusations that I'm a sentimental old biddy.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground

[The Wedding!]

Jinkei gasps, a bit too loudly. That's Inari? Inari herself? Here?

It takes everything in her to keep from squeeing out loudly. Yes, she's a bit shy, but she'll very much like to speak to her and hold her hand.

Inari, here, in the flesh. This day just got more special!

Spoiler: -scribble scribble-
    Show
    Inari is here, oh my gosh! Must try and talk to her.
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2015-07-31 at 12:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wedding

Well, not quite "you people" since there are a few humans, therianthropes, and dragons here. Close enough.

The Lindes are a bit more reverent as she makes her identity more obvious. Steven blushes fiercely. Nothing like getting pushed into thousand-year history and forever-reaching legacies because you got drunk at a club one night.

Oh, dear oh dear.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Pixie in the Playground

Inari sniffles one more time, then smiles

I do believe that I have rambled on quite long enough.

She waves her hand, and a carved rosewood table appears between Caroline and Steven. On it: six small white cakes, six small white porcelain cups, a highly ornamented porcelain pot with water, and a piece of a pine branch... probably juniper, given the short dense needles.

We do not value words so highly: it is actions that make your feelings known and real. Three cakes, three cups, three stages of lives being joined while over all the blessing water sprinkled from a bough that never fades.

She dips the branch in the water and taps it gently so the pair will not get too wet...

Each eat and drink their own: signifying their lives before, when they were separate.

The cake is chewy and slightly sweet. The cup has sake, and it is both sweet and firey strong - fortunately it is a tiny amount. It makes Caroline cough.

Oh my
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-31 at 01:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wedding

Steven proves his upbringing, as little as he mentions it. A little hard liquor is nothing. As long as he doesn't have to drink the whole bottle. Or have more than three.
    "I've hoped you have learned to hold this stuff better in the last year." he teases quietly.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

[Smithy]

Certain smiles and says, "Thank you both. Um...Should we go now? Or you do want to do something to get ready? I'm ready to go when you are."

11. - Top - End - #341
    Pixie in the Playground

Caroline mock-sneers

Certainly better than last year, yes.

All this while, Inari sprinkles water on them. A drip gets into Caroline's ear and makes it flick.

I keep wishing your blessings on people, but I never realized they were quite so wet!

Inari giggles, then continues

Now the second set, exchanged to symbolize the giving and acceptance of gifts, thoughts, and experiences during your courtship. It's good luck to spill a bit, so don't worry!

Caroline picks up the cake on her side and holds it out for Steven to bite. The sizeable blind-spot at the end of one's muzzle which normally doesn't matter at all now suddenly becomes an item of major significance.

[Smithy]

Susanoo shakes his head

Tomorrow, I think: I can't miss Caroline's and Steven's reception: my wife would never forgive me.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground

[The Wedding]

Oh my, Inari seems nice, too. That little detail fills Jinkei with an inexplicable sense of warmth as she watches the ceremony go on.

With one hand, she pats the nearest kit to her.

13. - Top - End - #343

The Wedding

But...do they see her more than once a generation? Or even that often?

Cleo is...her attention falling on Keiko too much, really. Her perception of Inari as a weird old-fashioned lady has not changed much here.
    Arlem is approving, watching the ceremony. First wedding he's seen her, probably a bit unusual, as they go.
    Tavlii stops having to try to feel happy for Caroline, as she recalls that this all got Steven a job as a messenger. Poor brave Steven.
    The Leahs watch silently and attentively. Look at all these fancy people.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wedding

Steven tentatively bites down, perhaps a rather small bite, but that's certainly better than having to heal Caroline's finger because of his own teeth. They're pointy, you know.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Pixie in the Playground

Caroline's claw is slightly scraped, but her fingers avoid damage. Likewise she manages to not bite Steven. But oh, trying to drink from a cup you can't even see! It's a wonder either of them actually manage to swallow any of the liquor.

Inari herself gets a look of pure mischief as she announces the last step

And now at last: half of each to the other, symbolizing the life you now share as husband and wife!

She dunks the branch fully into the water

While I get to play rain goddess!

Caroline yips softly and scurries to tear her cake in half in the face of the impending deluge.

Down in the audience, Keiko is grinning

Soak 'em good now, Inari!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-31 at 02:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Orc in the Playground

[The Wedding]

Jinkei can't help but giggle at the event about to take place. Her attention is focused totally on Inari and the couple now, watching the events unfold. Her focus is especially on Caroline, seeing the actions and reactions of this normally-reserved lady.

The snow kitsune wonders if she feels shy, right now.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

the Wedding

"You should try cuttin' corn in the rain like Stevie and I have. Of course, we wouldn't know about doing that in a fancy dress." Says Jesse. Steven makes quick work of his cake as he passes his own.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Pixie in the Playground

Inari dispenses her blessings without mercy - fortunately, there's only so much water in that little pot and only so much that juniper branch can actually dispense. Still, that last cup of sake is a little watered down by the end and Caroline's dress is ever so slightly transparent around the shoulders. Her ear-fur is fairly wet, and there are drips of water clinging to her whiskers.

She can't help but giggle at the whole thing.

Inari smiles broadly and brandishes her branch

In the presence of these witnesses, I now pronounce you Vixen and Fox! You may now kiss.

Polite applause makes a desperate bid to hold the day, but there's a Keiko here - so there's no hope. With a whoop, she starts cheering wildly: rapidly infecting the other ninetails with celebratory giddiness that proceeds to spread like fire through the fuzzy members of the crowd (and likely others, too!).

The sound wakes Su's little kits, and they start to yip and squeal, wagging their little tails enthusiastically even though they haven't a clue what's going on.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-31 at 04:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349

[The Wedding]

This is undoubtedly the least dignified wedding most of these guests have seen. For one, it's also the most.

Polite applause? Nah.
    Cleo is on her feet cheering and clapping furiously alongside Keiko, and amplifying the sound of celebration just a bit.
    Tavlii, Leah, and Alkania are all rather carried away by the enthusiasm.

Arlem holds out for polite applause. Let's not overwhelm the happy newlyweds, now.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #350
    Orc in the Playground

[The Wedding]

For Jinkei, it's the most fun wedding she's ever been in! Even she joins in the cheering and the whooping as the couple lock lips (or muzzles).

On the waking of the little kits, Jinkei sits back down and reduces the volume of her cheers, so as not to disturb the kits too much.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

[The Wedding]

Hikari squeezes Izanami's hand, smiling widely as she too breaks into applause, tearing up at the joy of the moment.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Pixie in the Playground

[Wedding Reception / Full Moon Party]

Hey, only two days late to start! And how's that for an event tag?

Caroline and Steven presumably kiss and parade out down the center aisle.

In keeping with an already happy occasion, it is also the Full Moon! Please do stay and enjoy yourselves today in celebration of new life and new hope.

And Inari gives a polite bow to the audience and heads out to the grounds herself.

Party time!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground

Jinkei gets up and leaves with the crowd. After taking a few moments to play with the kits, she scurries off to find Keiko with the intent to get her to meet Inari in person.

squeeeee

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Wedding/Reception

Actually, Steven was going to say something silly and romantic and have a cute aside with his brother, but now the Linde can be found in the reception, trying their best to socialize among all the strange faces.

25. - Top - End - #355

[Wedding/Reception]

"If you're just a botanist who misses their family, why do you do all this goddess stuff? 's a lot of work for...not you."
    Leah walks up to Inari with not a lot of regard for what's going on, mostly just curiosity coloring her voice.

Tavlii waits at the edge for the chance to see the newlyweds.
    "Congratulations! We never expected things to go so well. It's a beautiful surprise."

Arlem tries to tease one of the Lindes with an unexpected familiar face. Someone well known to them, but not tragically gone forever, just one that wouldn't be here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #356
    Pixie in the Playground

Caroline smiles at Tavlii.

Thanks! Time can go by so fast, it's hard to believe it's been over a year already.

Inari chuckles

Things have a habit of growing beyond our intentions, Leah. I quickly realized that I could help people more this way than just sitting in my lab ever did, and then once I started doing that I was faced with the responsibility of using the energy that they gave me. I chose to re-invest it: improving and expanding the services I could offer... which of course attracted more people.

Then one day you look up from some distraction and realize that a million people are calling you all at once and there's no returning to life you once had. I embraced the change, and moved forward... but there are times I miss the simpler days.

Jinkei will find Keiko (and presumably Cleo) with her grandmother, Izanami (and presumably Hikari). This is far less unsettling than it would have been once upon a time, as grandmother has found herself incarnated under the same rules that caught Keiko, and so is a rather beautiful young woman rather than a decaying horror.

Felina is very busy playing hostess, working hard to live up to the silver trim on her robes that she was recently awarded.

Caroline's mother Katrina has wandered over to the Linde family to pay her regards.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Orc in the Playground

"Hi, Keiko! Hi, Miss Izanami."
    Jinkei curtsies, then gently grabs Keiko's hand while at the same time leaning in to speak.

"I... Well, I wanna... well, could I meet Inari?"

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Wedding Reception

The Lindes are quite confused as to why one of their workers is here instead of watching the harvest as instructed, but they were quickly distracted by the nodding of heads and such that begets someone like Katherine.
    Steven's brothers are off at the food table talking with people, so the priestess will instead have the parents and grandparents to talk to.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Bugbear in the Playground

Full Moon Party (Closed)

Blanche has arrived today! Clad in a black sleeveless sweater and her nicest violet skirt, her cherished white military jacket stowed away somewhere and black stockings adorning her heel-clad legs. She wears her white hair long and flowing to her small of her back, eyepatch covering the one socket that appears to lack a violet-irised eye.
    the fair-skinned, black-furred cat faunus stands by the punch bowl, nabbing a cup of the red liquid.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

30. - Top - End - #360

"She's right there. Go talk to her." Cleo is, just as expected, found with Keiko, Izanami, and Hikari. And tries to nudge the kitsune in the goddess's direction.

Leah has to give a knowing laugh. And of course Inari just knows her name. Can she tell that about everyone, or is it because of Message, or did one of the foxes have to mention her?

"Well don't be so humble then. There were a million ways you could have led into that speech, but nobody else gets to be the one who invented foxes. People make you responsible enough for them, right? Once they believe in you, you have to decide whether you live up to that."
    She gives a shrug, half-heartedly.
    "Thanks."
    Of course there's other questions to ask, really, the answer just raised further questions, but that was the important one.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine