New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Saga Edition Thread III: Saga Academy

Hello fellow fans of the SWSE... I haven't posted/read in quite a time in this thread since we put SWSE on ice for the past few months... but I am back and ask for build help/advice.

Since we have some more free time on our hands my wife had the idea of letting us play a Solo Campaign in SWSE.
    The Character Generation will be done via pointbuy for level 2 (maybe level 3 as starting level).
    I have the Core Rulebook, Rebellion Era Campaign Setting and Galaxy at War as source material. The Force Unleashed Campaign Setting is an optional source where my wife has to look into it if she will allow it.

The current background is at the start of the clone wars a female jedi and a clone "deserted" together after falling in love resulting in the character.
    IF I go Jedi I can only use Force powers that don't need too much finesse. (No Force Lightning or other stuff that doesn't come naturally). Surge, Force Push or Move Object are ok but Force Grip is a maybe and so on. I might go Warden in the Sky as I would have no Light sabre.

The concept I want to fulfill with him is Mercenery Bounty Hunter that has some connection to the force but not really trained in it. Or to say it in DnD terms: Skill Monkey that can handle himself well in fights with the skill in "Vibroweapon" or Unarmed Combat.
    Maybe even going for a sorta Megaman arm Cannon.

But I don't even know where to start. My feeling says for the Unarmed Combat route going Scout/Jedi with Warden in the Sky/Soldier/X/Unarmed Prestige Class.

Can you help me get the build for the concept started?

Thanks in advance.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    I have to echo the above-Scout really has nothing for a gearhead in core. All I can find is Mechanics skill and the Jury-Rigger talent, which is really garbage. I've never seen anybody even use Jury-Rigging, and all it does is give you a re-roll, which will quickly become obsolete because it's a static DC 25, with a +5 bonus for using a toolkit. +10 for training and focus, and you're looking at 10s to pass before level and INT.

Hmm. What level and sources are you working with?

The fundamental problem with full attack melee builds is you can't full attack and move. And with Withdraw being a move action, the only people that will stand there and let a four-armed Jedi whale on them with two lightsabers are the Darwin Award candidates and people who have a nastier full attack routine than you do.

There's several ways around it, trading off maturation time for effectiveness.

EDIT: How hung up are you dual-wielding? With four hands, you can mix and match the more exotic lightsaber types, which makes controlling fights so much easier. Like two-hand a great lightsaber for damage, then add either a lightwhip or dual-phase saber for reach and a crossguard saber or guard shoto for defense.
    It's not set in stone, I just happened to really like the idea of it. I usually don't play the melee guy, mostly the tech and skill based guy in the background. And even more so, I never really go Jedi.

For the great lightsaber, if I two-hand it can I use feats/talents with it? Cause the entry says only large (or larger) creatures can.

Sorry, should have mentioned, it's level 10and all books are available.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    Since we have some more free time on our hands my wife had the idea of letting us play a Solo Campaign in SWSE.
    The Character Generation will be done via pointbuy for level 2 (maybe level 3 as starting level).
    I have the Core Rulebook, Rebellion Era Campaign Setting and Galaxy at War as source material. The Force Unleashed Campaign Setting is an optional source where my wife has to look into it if she will allow it.

The current background is at the start of the clone wars a female jedi and a clone "deserted" together after falling in love resulting in the character.
    IF I go Jedi I can only use Force powers that don't need too much finesse. (No Force Lightning or other stuff that doesn't come naturally). Surge, Force Push or Move Object are ok but Force Grip is a maybe and so on. I might go Warden in the Sky as I would have no Light sabre.

The concept I want to fulfill with him is Mercenery Bounty Hunter that has some connection to the force but not really trained in it. Or to say it in DnD terms: Skill Monkey that can handle himself well in fights with the skill in "Vibroweapon" or Unarmed Combat.

But I don't even know where to start. My feeling says for the Unarmed Combat route going Scout/Jedi with Warden in the Sky/Soldier/X/Unarmed Prestige Class.

Thanks in advance.
    If you want to be able to do resonably well in unarmed combat at level 2 (given the circumstances) you will need the conviction force power (from the same book as the warden of the sky, Jedi academy training manual) and martial arts I, you can get both of these by starting in jedi or by starting with soldier 2. The hammerblow talent from the Legacy era campagin guide is a great choice for unarmed combatants, but it isn't required.

If the above make unarmed seem like to much work, pick weapon proficiency(advanced melee weapons) as the bonus feat for getting to second level in scout or soldier, and use a force pike or vibro-axe as your weapon of choice.(you could also use say battle strike to augment your attacks and it can also be used with ranged weapons if you ever need to use one)

Note that both of the above benefit greatly from high strength (14+) and if you want to have a lower strength for any reason, I would instead recommend using a blaster.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waar View Post
    If you want to be able to do resonably well in unarmed combat at level 2 (given the circumstances) you will need the conviction force power (from the same book as the warden of the sky, Jedi academy training manual) and martial arts I, you can get both of these by starting in jedi or by starting with soldier 2. The hammerblow talent from the Legacy era campagin guide is a great choice for unarmed combatants, but it isn't required.

If the above make unarmed seem like to much work, pick weapon proficiency(advanced melee weapons) as the bonus feat for getting to second level in scout or soldier, and use a force pike or vibro-axe as your weapon of choice.(you could also use say battle strike to augment your attacks and it can also be used with ranged weapons if you ever need to use one)

Note that both of the above benefit greatly from high strength (14+) and if you want to have a lower strength for any reason, I would instead recommend using a blaster.
    So basically for unarmed it "needs" some books that are out of my reach and force powers that might not be available.

The aim is for a long running build reaching "higher" levels. But being able to reasonably start out on level 2 with plans to level 3 and for at least (since my wife isn't set on either starting on level 2 or 3).

I tried searching for it but couldn't find a "Megaman/Rockman.exe" build that was posted in some thread here afaik but I don't know if I can pull it off or if it is even viable for what I should need for this campaign.

Is the Jedi talent: Block mandatory for melee characters? And would a Vibro Saber (or Rapier, dunno how it's called) be nearly as good as the Axe/Pick?
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx MacGyver View Post
    It's not set in stone, I just happened to really like the idea of it. I usually don't play the melee guy, mostly the tech and skill based guy in the background. And even more so, I never really go Jedi.

For the great lightsaber, if I two-hand it can I use feats/talents with it? Cause the entry says only large (or larger) creatures can.

Sorry, should have mentioned, it's level 10and all books are available.
    That bit means that only Large (or larger) creatures can use the great lightsaber with anything that only works with "light weapons or lightsabers", like the Flurry or Improved Rapid Strike feats.

So, after some consideration, I have two builds for ya.

Build 1: The Destroyer
    This guy is geared more towards KoTOR era play, when Force-using opponents are commonplace.

Starting stats
    STR 18
    DEX 16
    CON 14
    INT 14
    WIS 12
    CHA 18

Level up points go to STR and CHA.

Jedi 7*/Melee Duelist 1/Jedi Knight 2

Talents: Dual Weapon Mastery I, Dual Weapon Mastery II, Force Sensitivity, Melee Defense, Overwhelming Assault, Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Unstoppable Force, Weapon Focus (Lightsaber), WP (Lightsaber, Simple)

Talents: Block, Deflect, Dual Weapon Flourish I, Multiattack Proficiency (Lightsaber), 2 open Jedi Talents*

Force Technique: Force Point recovery (what else?)

Melee Self-built Lightsaber +17 (2d8+15) or
    Melee Self-built Lightsaber +15 (3d8+15) with Rapid Strike or
    Melee 2x Self-built Lightsaber +17/+17 (2d8+15)

This guy kills Sith. Or Jedi. Or Krath. Whatever. Dual Weapon Flourish lets you hit the guy twice as a standard action. This frees up two swifts to activate overwhelming assault before, which helps the first attack cut through the myriad defenses a force-using opponent can put up. The second won't get this benefit, but hopefully the first one softened him up. And it's not like it costs you attack bonus or anything. And Unstoppable Force gives you a better chance of resisting an enemy Force wizard's tricks.

*-You have a bit of flexibility one the last four levels of base class. You might want to multiclass to solider and pick up some of the brawler or weapon master talents.

Build 2: Crowd Control
    Same stats as above.

This guy is more for a Clone Wars style campaign where force users are rare but crowds of enemies are common. It has a weaker full attack but is a very annoying lockdown build.

Jedi 6/Soldier 1/Melee Duelist 1/Jedi Knight 2

Talents: Combat Reflexes, Dual Weapon Mastery I, Force Sensitivity, Grapple Resistance, Melee Defense, Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Trip, Weapon Focus (Lightsaber), WP (Lightsaber, Simple), any one soldier starting feat

Talents: Advantageous Opening, Block, Counterpunch, Deflect, Guardian Strike, Multiattack Proficiency (Lightsaber)

Force Technique: Force Point recovery (again, what else?)

Melee Self-built Lightwhip +17 (Pin or Trip, Grapple +20) or
    Melee Self-built Lightsaber Pike +17 (2d8+15) or
    Melee Self-built Dual-Phase Lightsaber +17 (2d8+10) or
    Melee Self-built Lightsaber Pike +14/ (2d8+15) and Self-built Dual-Phase Lightsaber +14 (2d8+10)

This build is all about that two-square reach. All three of your weapons have it, and people getting near you are going to suffer for it. They can be handily held at bay by Tripping with whip, and then cut up while on the ground by your more damaging weapons. Training Acrobatics is very recommended for boosting your Reflex when you use Fight Defensively for Counterpunching people.
    Hello fellow fans of the SWSE... I haven't posted/read in quite a time in this thread since we put SWSE on ice for the past few months... but I am back and ask for build help/advice.

Thanks in advance.
    Ouch, I tried making a Warden of the Sky once. I had 10 levels, a bonus feat, and all the splatbooks and it still just barely came out this side of OK. I'd strongly recommend using advanced melee. If not, I'll have to get back to you.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Does force powers/talents that help to hide yourself from the force exist?, i'd like to know because me and some friends are going to partecipate ina campaign between episode 3 and 4.
    It will be force users allowed but with the risk of being discovered, you can have a lightsabe but if the imperials see you with it...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That bit means that only Large (or larger) creatures can use the great lightsaber with anything that only works with "light weapons or lightsabers", like the Flurry or Improved Rapid Strike feats.

So, after some consideration, I have two builds for ya.

Build 1: The Destroyer
    This guy is geared more towards KoTOR era play, when Force-using opponents are commonplace.

Starting stats
    STR 18
    DEX 16
    CON 14
    INT 14
    WIS 12
    CHA 18

Level up points go to STR and CHA.

Jedi 7*/Melee Duelist 1/Jedi Knight 2

Talents: Dual Weapon Mastery I, Dual Weapon Mastery II, Force Sensitivity, Melee Defense, Overwhelming Assault, Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Unstoppable Force, Weapon Focus (Lightsaber), WP (Lightsaber, Simple)

Talents: Block, Deflect, Dual Weapon Flourish I, Multiattack Proficiency (Lightsaber), 2 open Jedi Talents*

Force Technique: Force Point recovery (what else?)

Melee Self-built Lightsaber +17 (2d8+15) or
    Melee Self-built Lightsaber +15 (3d8+15) with Rapid Strike or
    Melee 2x Self-built Lightsaber +17/+17 (2d8+15)

This guy kills Sith. Or Jedi. Or Krath. Whatever. Dual Weapon Flourish lets you hit the guy twice as a standard action. This frees up two swifts to activate overwhelming assault before, which helps the first attack cut through the myriad defenses a force-using opponent can put up. The second won't get this benefit, but hopefully the first one softened him up. And it's not like it costs you attack bonus or anything. And Unstoppable Force gives you a better chance of resisting an enemy Force wizard's tricks.

*-You have a bit of flexibility one the last four levels of base class. You might want to multiclass to solider and pick up some of the brawler or weapon master talents.

Build 2: Crowd Control
    Same stats as above.

This guy is more for a Clone Wars style campaign where force users are rare but crowds of enemies are common. It has a weaker full attack but is a very annoying lockdown build.

Jedi 6/Soldier 1/Melee Duelist 1/Jedi Knight 2

Talents: Combat Reflexes, Dual Weapon Mastery I, Force Sensitivity, Grapple Resistance, Melee Defense, Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Trip, Weapon Focus (Lightsaber), WP (Lightsaber, Simple), any one soldier starting feat

Talents: Advantageous Opening, Block, Counterpunch, Deflect, Guardian Strike, Multiattack Proficiency (Lightsaber)

Force Technique: Force Point recovery (again, what else?)

Melee Self-built Lightwhip +17 (Pin or Trip, Grapple +20) or
    Melee Self-built Lightsaber Pike +17 (2d8+15) or
    Melee Self-built Dual-Phase Lightsaber +17 (2d8+10) or
    Melee Self-built Lightsaber Pike +14/ (2d8+15) and Self-built Dual-Phase Lightsaber +14 (2d8+10)

This build is all about that two-square reach. All three of your weapons have it, and people getting near you are going to suffer for it. They can be handily held at bay by Tripping with whip, and then cut up while on the ground by your more damaging weapons. Training Acrobatics is very recommended for boosting your Reflex when you use Fight Defensively for Counterpunching people.
    Those builds are pretty cool. I think, assuming my GM follows her usual plan, I'll probably be using the first build. Thanks a lot!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Smorgonoffz View Post
    Does force powers/talents that help to hide yourself from the force exist?, i'd like to know because me and some friends are going to partecipate ina campaign between episode 3 and 4.
    It will be force users allowed but with the risk of being discovered, you can have a lightsabe but if the imperials see you with it...
    Check out the Jedi Sentinel talents Clear Mind (for hiding from other Force Users) and Dampen Presence (for making witnesses forget your face). Former in the core book, and a prerequisite for the very nice Force Haze, latter in the Force Unleashed Campaign Guide. The Jensarai and Fallanasi Force Traditions also have interesting talents, but of course both of them are rare and insular.

Also I recommend investing in Pistol or Advanced Melee proficiency just to give yourself options.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a character concept for an Old Republic campaign that is a non force using martial artist who fights well against force users/lightsaber wielders. Let me know what you think and if you suggest any tweaking anywhere. The Teras Kasi Unarmed Parry talent is houseruled to work without having to fight defensively, it basically works the same as Block, also the character would probably get some cortosis bracers around this time to make sense narratively to work against lightsabers (and not get my arm or hand chopped off).

Feats are unbolded, talents are bolded.

1 Human Scout 1: Martial Arts 1, Teras Kasi Training, Shake It Off, Evasion
    2 Soldier 1: Melee Smash
    3 Soldier 2: Rapid Strike, Melee Defense
    4 Soldier 3: Stunning Strike
    5 Soldier 4: Martial Arts 2
    6 Soldier 5: Echani Training, Devastating Attack
    7 Soldier 6: Martial Arts 3
    8 Soldier 7: Penetrating Attack
    9 Martial Arts Master 1: Triple Crit, Teras Kasi Basics
    10 MAM 2:
    11 MAM 3: Unarmed Parry
    12 MAM 4: Overwhelming Attack
    13 MAM 5: Echani Expertise
    14 MAM 6:
    15 MAM 7: Unstoppable Force, Punishing Strike
    16 MAM 8:
    17 MAM 9: Teras Kasi Mastery
    18 MAM 10: Dual Weapon Mastery 1
    19 Soldier 8: Dual Weapon Mastery 2
    20 Soldier 9: Indomitable

The only thing about this character is that he doesnt really come into his own until level 9 when my unarmed damage jumps from 1d10 to 2d12 (or 3d12 with rapid strike), so going through those first 8 levels might be a little slow. Also I didnt know if I would be better served by trying to focus on multiple attacks, Kthri (instead of Echani), and TK Mastery (earlier), also whether I should go Punishing Strike, Unarmed Counterattack, or Ignore Damage Reduction. Anyway, thoughts and critiques are welcome.
    Last edited by Jigawatts; 2015-09-20 at 05:38 PM.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief avatar by Linklele

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

After reading the Rebellion Era Cmapaign Guide I come to the conclusion that there is only equipment in it that could interest me. Maybe the Prestige Class "Improviser"... but I don't know how good it will be.

I am unsure about the whole Axe ordeal though. Could it be possible to go for Teräs Käsi (as the poster above illustrated it). Only thing missing for the Martial Arts Master would be the Threats of the Galaxy book (which we don't have...) to access the Master of Teräs Käsi talent tree.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    I have a character concept for an Old Republic campaign that is a non force using martial artist who fights well against force users/lightsaber wielders. Let me know what you think and if you suggest any tweaking anywhere. The Teras Kasi Unarmed Parry talent is houseruled to work without having to fight defensively, it basically works the same as Block, also the character would probably get some cortosis bracers around this time to make sense narratively to work against lightsabers (and not get my arm or hand chopped off).

Feats are unbolded, talents are bolded.

1 Human Scout 1: Martial Arts 1, Teras Kasi Training, Shake It Off, Evasion
    2 Soldier 1: Melee Smash
    4 Soldier 3: Stunning Strike
    6 Soldier 5: Echani Training, Devastating Attack
    8 Soldier 7: Penetrating Attack
    10 MAM 2:
    14 MAM 6:
    15 MAM 7: Unstoppable Force, Punishing Strike
    16 MAM 8:
    17 MAM 9: Teras Kasi Mastery
    18 MAM 10: Dual Weapon Mastery 1
    19 Soldier 8: Dual Weapon Mastery 2

The only thing about this character is that he doesnt really come into his own until level 9 when my unarmed damage jumps from 1d10 to 2d12 (or 3d12 with rapid strike), so going through those first 8 levels might be a little slow. Also I didnt know if I would be better served by trying to focus on multiple attacks, Kthri (instead of Echani), and TK Mastery (earlier), also whether I should go Punishing Strike, Unarmed Counterattack, or Ignore Damage Reduction. Anyway, thoughts and critiques are welcome.
    Unarmed builds are slow to "mature", as it were, because of all the investment needed to make them work.

I'd suggest shuffling feats and talents a bit to front-load your damage a bit. Swap Teras Kasi and Echani training with each other so you get double STR from the start. You don't have the WF pre-req for Penetrating Attack, so trade Penetrating Attack for Hammerblow, and take that as your first Soldier talent. This boosts your attack very impressively, so you can liberally employ Rapid Strike. This should keep your damage from being total garbage, and you'll probably still have the best attack bonus in the party, so your total DPR should pretty good despite your damage per hit being not so hot. Hammerblow will also combo awesomely with Unarmed Parry once you get it.

I question the need for both Teras Kasi Training and Devastating attack-reducing the target's DT by 10 points seems unnecessary unless you plan on regularly picking fistfights with spaceships. I'd drop one of those.

On a melee-based Jedi killer build, the Staggering Strike feat (The Galaxy at War version, not the Scum & Villainy version) comes highly recommended, since a Force-sensitive's offense and defense are both heavily tied to skills. I'd take that instead of Triple Crit.

I would go for Unarmed Counterstrike before Punishing Strike. It will probably trigger more often, and won't violate Echani Training's one attack per turn clause. Normally I don't advise full attack melee builds, but you are going in so late it probably won't matter.

After reading the Rebellion Era Cmapaign Guide I come to the conclusion that there is only equipment in it that could interest me. Maybe the Prestige Class "Improviser"... but I don't know how good it will be.

I am unsure about the whole Axe ordeal though. Could it be possible to go for Teräs Käsi (as the poster above illustrated it). Only thing missing for the Martial Arts Master would be the Threats of the Galaxy book (which we don't have...) to access the Master of Teräs Käsi talent tree.
    See, my problem is when I make martial arts builds, three books almost always come up: Galaxy at War, Legacy of The Force CG, and Threats of the Galaxy. I could probably work around one of those missing, but I'm finding two to be an insurmountable obstacle. Especially with the added constraint that it has to be effective all the way from level 2.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

reducing the target's DT by 10 points seems unnecessary unless you plan on regularly picking fistfights with spaceships.
    *takes notes*

Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Unarmed builds are slow to "mature", as it were, because of all the investment needed to make them work.

I'd suggest shuffling feats and talents a bit to front-load your damage a bit. Swap Teras Kasi and Echani training with each other so you get double STR from the start. You don't have the WF pre-req for Penetrating Attack, so trade Penetrating Attack for Hammerblow, and take that as your first Soldier talent. This boosts your attack very impressively, so you can liberally employ Rapid Strike. This should keep your damage from being total garbage, and you'll probably still have the best attack bonus in the party, so your total DPR should pretty good despite your damage per hit being not so hot. Hammerblow will also combo awesomely with Unarmed Parry once you get it.

I question the need for both Teras Kasi Training and Devastating attack-reducing the target's DT by 10 points seems unnecessary unless you plan on regularly picking fistfights with spaceships. I'd drop one of those.

On a melee-based Jedi killer build, the Staggering Strike feat (The Galaxy at War version, not the Scum & Villainy version) comes highly recommended, since a Force-sensitive's offense and defense are both heavily tied to skills. I'd take that instead of Triple Crit.

I would go for Unarmed Counterstrike before Punishing Strike. It will probably trigger more often, and won't violate Echani Training's one attack per turn clause. Normally I don't advise full attack melee builds, but you are going in so late it probably won't matter.

See, my problem is when I make martial arts builds, three books almost always come up: Galaxy at War, Legacy of The Force CG, and Threats of the Galaxy. I could probably work around one of those missing, but I'm finding two to be an insurmountable obstacle. Especially with the added constraint that it has to be effective all the way from level 2.
    Ok. Then as I thought giving up on Martial Arts is probably better in the long run.

Also the build doesn't need to be specialised and "super effective" all the way through. It should just be able to play as a "single player". Without a party. Maybe having a way of getting henchmen later on.

EDIT:

After a bit of looking into it.

I came up with this:
    Human Scout / Soldier.
    Feats: Shake it Off, Armor Prof (Light), Weapon Prof: (Simple, Pistol, Rifle), Force Sensitive (1), Weapon Prof (Advanced Weapons) (Human).
    Talents: Evasion/Improved Stealth/Acute Senses (can't decide), Soldier or Force Talent?

OR! If my wife allows Jedi's start feat Lightsaber to be traded for Advanced Weaponry then I will go with Scout/Jedi and have a feat instead of Armor Prof, don't know if you can use Block without a Lightsaber though.
    Last edited by Krazzman; 2015-09-22 at 05:47 PM.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Backgrounds are very nice, when allowed.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Backgrounds are very nice, when allowed.
    According to the book itself: isn't a destiny better?

Also I need help with equipment beyond Vibroaxe/Vibrosword and somesuch.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

EDIT:

After a bit of looking into it.

I came up with this:
    Human Scout / Soldier.
    Feats: Shake it Off, Armor Prof (Light), Weapon Prof: (Simple, Pistol, Rifle), Force Sensitive (1), Weapon Prof (Advanced Weapons) (Human).
    Talents: Evasion/Improved Stealth/Acute Senses (can't decide), Soldier or Force Talent?

OR! If my wife allows Jedi's start feat Lightsaber to be traded for Advanced Weaponry then I will go with Scout/Jedi and have a feat instead of Armor Prof, don't know if you can use Block without a Lightsaber though.
    You could go scout 2 (if you want to start with force training (as the human feat) and pick Weapon Prof (Advanced Weapons) as the bonus feat), but the above also works. And no you can't use block or deflect unless you have a lightsaber (or a rare evil sith alchemical weapon, but I don't think that would be available).

Evasion/Improved Stealth/Acute Senses are all solid choices. However the available options among the soldier talents aren't that usefull unless you have more of them (armored defence and the improved version, melee smash and stunning strike). Force talents, you could go for say Force perception/pilot if you want more skills, or mayby DR 10 if you need more combat survivability (it is a very strong talent, but exercise caution since it might be too strong).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Destinies are better when you fulfill them or cheese out DP use. Backgrounds are better for actually planning builds, since they aren't as subject to the whims of the GM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

They're also great for expanding class skill lists, like getting Use Computer on a Scout (for a do-everything pilot or a breaking and entering stealth specialist) or Acrobatics, Deception or Persuasion on a Soldier (without burning a talent on Commanding Presence in the latter case). It can really simplify multiclassing.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excellent reply, I thank you sir, this was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Here is my updated build

1 Human Scout 1: Martial Arts 1, Echani Training, Shake It Off, Evasion
    2 Soldier 1: Hammerblow
    4 Soldier 3: Melee Smash
    6 Soldier 5: Teras Kasi Training, Stunning Strike
    8 Soldier 7: Indomitable
    10 MAM 2:
    14 MAM 6:
    15 MAM 7: Unstoppable Force, Unarmed Coutnerstrike
    16 MAM 8:
    17 MAM 9: Ignore Damage Reduction
    18 MAM 10:
    19 Soldier 8:

Gonna keep Triple Crit, I just like the thought of rolling 6d12 damage, plus it goes nicely with Echani Expertise. I dropped any multiattacks, but I do have to ask, you said you cant suggest full attack melee builds, but doesnt Teras Kasi Mastery negate any downside to that, or am I not seeing something. Also what do you suggest for level 18 and 19 feats.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

If you take a Full Attack, you lose the benefit of Echani Training, basically. It might be worth it, but you also might have better things to do with your talents.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    They're also great for expanding class skill lists, like getting Use Computer on a Scout (for a do-everything pilot or a breaking and entering stealth specialist) or Acrobatics, Deception or Persuasion on a Soldier (without burning a talent on Commanding Presence in the latter case). It can really simplify multiclassing.
    That's what I meant about being better for planning. Skill Training isn't a bad feat if you're going to use that skill a lot, but it's better still to not spend a feat on the skill at all if you don't have to.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    That's what I meant about being better for planning. Skill Training isn't a bad feat if you're going to use that skill a lot, but it's better still to not spend a feat on the skill at all if you don't have to.
    It might be better but my wife said that she has to look it up.

Currently this:
    Human Scout 2.
    Feats: Force Sensivity, Force Training (Getting Surge and maybe Battle Strike/Force Grip), Shake it off and Advanced Melee Weapon Prof.
    Talents: Acute Senses (Probably, maybe a Force Talent to grab Piloting via UTF or Perception or evasion).

Equipment:
    Vibro Sword, Camo Poncho/Allweather Cloak... dunno what else to get.

Stats:
    Point buy but don't know on what to focus. I need at least 13 Con so I will probably make it a 14 (in DnD/PF it's my goto stat for Con).
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you take a Full Attack, you lose the benefit of Echani Training, basically. It might be worth it, but you also might have better things to do with your talents.
    I was indeed aware of that, if I were to focus on multiple attacks I would probably swap Echani for Kthri.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

The book is wrong in this case. Destiny Points have some (potentially) powerful effects but suffer from a rather narrow range of applications and extremely limited availability; the other bonuses, for advancing toward a character's Destiny or for fulfilling a Destiny, depend entirely on the individual GM's style. I personally have almost never seen any of those come up in actual play. Backgrounds, OTOH, add flexibility rather than power, but they're very helpful especially for patching the holes in the Class Skill lists - and not only are they always on, but chances are good that if you're using a Background to expand your Class Skill list, it's because you're going to be putting one (or more) of those added skills to good use. In general, I prefer Backgrounds.

For equipment, you might look into a Power Hammer (Force Unleashed CG p97); otherwise, the Vibroaxe is about as good as the Advanced Melee Weapons get.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Vibrolances (Galaxy at War) also deal the same amount of damage as a Vibro-axe if you'd rather use a spear than an axe. Your other option is of course as usual double-sided weapons that deal 2d6+2x Str/2d6+2x Str

Of course, if you were a Gamorrean, an Arg'garok is pretty nuts.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-09-25 at 08:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    The book is wrong in this case. Destiny Points have some (potentially) powerful effects but suffer from a rather narrow range of applications and extremely limited availability; the other bonuses, for advancing toward a character's Destiny or for fulfilling a Destiny, depend entirely on the individual GM's style. I personally have almost never seen any of those come up in actual play. Backgrounds, OTOH, add flexibility rather than power, but they're very helpful especially for patching the holes in the Class Skill lists - and not only are they always on, but chances are good that if you're using a Background to expand your Class Skill list, it's because you're going to be putting one (or more) of those added skills to good use. In general, I prefer Backgrounds.

For equipment, you might look into a Power Hammer (Force Unleashed CG p97); otherwise, the Vibroaxe is about as good as the Advanced Melee Weapons get.
    Vibrolances (Galaxy at War) also deal the same amount of damage as a Vibro-axe if you'd rather use a spear than an axe. Your other option is of course as usual double-sided weapons that deal 2d6+2x Str/2d6+2x Str

Of course, if you were a Gamorrean, an Arg'garok is pretty nuts.
    The problem is: I don't know if the backgrounds will be allowed. Also I don't know how to put my stats down.
    I should use the pointbuy method.

About equipment there is another problem. How much credits do I have on level 2 or 3?
    What stuff should I get? Vibro Axe or Vibrosword or Double-Vibro Blade(sword because Licensed instead of restricted)? Which Rifle? What about Jetpack and other items?

The current plan is starting with Scout 2, then going for Scout 3 or Soldier 1.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The problem is: I don't know if the backgrounds will be allowed. Also I don't know how to put my stats down.
    I should use the pointbuy method.

About equipment there is another problem. How much credits do I have on level 2 or 3?
    What stuff should I get? Vibro Axe or Vibrosword or Double-Vibro Blade(sword because Licensed instead of restricted)? Which Rifle? What about Jetpack and other items?

The current plan is starting with Scout 2, then going for Scout 3 or Soldier 1.
    The first two questions are great questions for your GM, especially since there's no official Wealth By Level in Saga like there is in D&D.

Vibro Axe vs. Double Vibroblade depends entirely on whether or not you're going to take Dual Weapon Mastery (and you'll be better off waiting until higher levels for that anyway, so I'd go Axe. Carry a backup weapon in case it gets confiscated, but most jurisdictions outside of wealthy neighborhoods and the Core don't care about Restricted weapons). My preferred Rifle is the Blaster Carbine or a variant on it, just because being able to snap off AoO's is more important than maximum range, usually.

Jetpacks are good if you can afford them, but they're bulky, the fuel cells get expensive, and they require pilot to much more than auto-clear certain jumps. Other than that, I almost always take a Utility Belt to cover the basics and then think of what else the character would have. If you train Mechanics, a Toolkit is great, and a Security Kit is even better. Scouts don't normally get Treat Injury or Use Computer, but if you do, Medpacs, a Medical Kit, and a Datapad are all somewhat necessary to use them.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-09-25 at 10:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

The first two questions are great questions for your GM, especially since there's no official Wealth By Level in Saga like there is in D&D.

Vibro Axe vs. Double Vibroblade depends entirely on whether or not you're going to take Dual Weapon Mastery (and you'll be better off waiting until higher levels for that anyway, so I'd go Axe. Carry a backup weapon in case it gets confiscated, but most jurisdictions outside of wealthy neighborhoods and the Core don't care about Restricted weapons). My preferred Rifle is the Blaster Carbine or a variant on it, just because being able to snap off AoO's is more important than maximum range, usually.

Jetpacks are good if you can afford them, but they're bulky, the fuel cells get expensive, and they require pilot to much more than auto-clear certain jumps. Other than that, I almost always take a Utility Belt to cover the basics and then think of what else the character would have. If you train Mechanics, a Toolkit is great, and a Security Kit is even better. Scouts don't normally get Treat Injury or Use Computer, but if you do, Medpacs, a Medical Kit, and a Datapad are all somewhat necessary to use them.
    My wife said that she has to look into it. IF I can use Backgrounds I think about either the Backgorund that gives me a Prosthetic and Treat Injury or the one that gives me use computer as these two are the most fitting ones.

Then it will most likely be the Axe. DWM needs Dexterity which would probably lead to focus on Str, Dex, Con, Cha and Int (need skillpoints since I will be running solo). I think the MAD ness is just not that good. Also a slight focus on Wis for more force powers...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

29. - Top - End - #119
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

House Rule question for people: for a tradition like Nightsister is it reasonable to allow a player to get talents from the Night Sister tree if they do not take levels in Jedi but instead take levels in scout ? and would it be resonable to let my player that i am letting do that also trade Pistol and Rifle proficiency for another feat ? the Latter point is because i dont see Night Sisters with a lot of blasters.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Duke View Post
    House Rule question for people: for a tradition like Nightsister is it reasonable to allow a player to get talents from the Night Sister tree if they do not take levels in Jedi but instead take levels in scout ? and would it be resonable to let my player that i am letting do that also trade Pistol and Rifle proficiency for another feat ? the Latter point is because i dont see Night Sisters with a lot of blasters.
    You can always take Force talents regardless of your class, so long as you otherwise qualify for them (you'll always need Force Sensitivity, of course, but you'd also need to be either a member of the tradition or trained by such a member to take the talents from a Force Tradition tree), it's how you're expected to qualify for Force Adept. Sith Lord, Jedi Master, and Force Disciple explicitly call out the Force Talent trees as being available so as to remind the player that it's there... the Master PrCs are a little anemic in terms of available talent trees otherwise.

I would be very careful about replacing unused proficiencies with other feats. At best, I'd limit it to swapping out for feats that are on the class's Bonus Feat list, except for Skill Focus (which breaks the early game in half, particularly if it's a Force Mage like a Nightsister would tend to be).
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2015-09-28 at 09:25 PM.