New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Erfworld 50

1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 50

Quote Originally Posted by A Large Bear View Post
    If you move beyond the bounds of your light source, you will be eaten by a grue.
    FROBOZZ MAGIC GRUE REPELLENT - only 1,000 zorkmids a can.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

I refine my theory.

I still think Parson is planning to ambush the land group while Ansom's fliers are elsewhere and I don't think it would be at night. Attacking at night would not be the best use of this exploit.

My refinement comes in with
    a) special abilities
    b) Parson's stats being invisible.

With these two things being the case, Parson can make up whatever "special abilities" he wants and no one can say he's lying because it simply isn't visible. He can exploit this fact to grant himself whatever he thinks he can resonably get away with.

Therefore the continuation if the current comic would go something like...

Parson: "But they can move at night if the commander of the units has the special ability of one free movement turn every night, which I have. "

Lookomancer: Oh, okay then.

*Parson moves the dwagons to an ambush area and during the day the flyers and nonfliers split up again and Parson lays waste to the non fliers*

Heck, it might even be true. Who can say it's not? Especially if it works. Parson's stats are invisible. The beauty of this is that because he claims it as a special ability the other side won't start moving at night themselves, they will just think it has to do with Parson and that they could never do it themselves, so the "free night move" becomes a permanent advantage for whenever Parson commands. If done in this way I would consider what Parson's doing as an exploit, not a cheat.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2007-04-30 at 10:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Teufel View Post
    I have a feeling that they are also charicatures of the author and artist as Elvises...
    I think you nailed it, Teufel. These Elvises are SO Jamie and Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Misvit View Post
    (...) Face it, moving at night is godmode, (...)
    I think you guys are having the wrong idea. I don't know, seems to me that it's more like something with the fact that he sent Bogroll to his quartes, telling him to pretend he is him. That was no joke. It is some serious strategy. I don't know what can be it, maybe he is trying to fool the system, or maybe copying his statuses into Bogroll.
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd View Post
    I think you nailed it, Teufel. These Elvises are SO Jamie and Rob.
    You know, sometimes and Elvis is just an Elvis.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

5. - Top - End - #95

OldWizardGuy

I don't think night is actually the issue.

I think he's realized that if he issues orders now, he can get his troops moving as soon as dawn breaks, and the Dwagons can attack Ansom's defenseless forces before he can issue the commands for the flying units to return.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd View Post
    I think you guys are having the wrong idea. I don't know, seems to me that it's more like something with the fact that he sent Bogroll to his quartes, telling him to pretend he is him.
    He also told Bogroll to go to sleep. The whole point of that exchange was a kind of joke--e.g. "Pretend you're me and get some sleep, maybe that way I won't need to get any myself!" Variants of that have been used in school playgrounds for decades.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

I think the plan is to use up the remaining 'move' at night in order to make a surprise attack like Metool2 said. For Ansom it will look like they suddenly appeared out of nowhere. As we've seen, the Erfworlders don't nescessarily sleep at night, they just wait for the next turn.
    Sound moves faster than light. That's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.

8. - Top - End - #98

OldWizardGuy

The two sides may alternate turns. Which may mean that, since Ansom used up his turn sending reinforcements to Jillian, he can't defend his forces properly.

We'll have to see what transpires.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    What I believe will happen, thanks to remarks in this and other threads, is that Parson will be able to order units that have unused Move to use that Move at night, between Ansom's turn and the dawn reset. That will effectively allow all of those unmoved dwagons to take two days' worth of Move between Ansom's last turn and his next one: one day's worth tonight, then another day's worth during Stanley's turn, after the dawn reset. They wouldn't be able to pull that trick again the next night because they would've already moved that day and wouldn't have any Move left. However, they could do it again two nights from now if they don't move during Stanley's turn two days from now.

To summarize: if I'm right, with Parson giving the orders, Gobwin Knob's units will be able to move once each turn or (from Ansom's perspective) twice every other turn, but not both, because they'll still only be able to move once per day. That's not game-breaking; in fact, I've played TBS games that were deliberately designed to allow exactly that. You could voluntarily order a unit to wait and take its move later in the round (day / week / month / year), after the remaining opponents' turns; the round wouldn't actually end until every unit had either used up its action points, passed or been placed in sentry mode.
    It occurs to me that this tactic, if it works, will tend to favor defenders, since the attacker has to have used Move on the previous turn to have brought the battle to the defender, but the defender's units can be situated in place having used no Move the previous turn. The attacker would have to move up and face a turn of exposure to defenders who can sortie against targets of their choosing and return home. (The sortie force will still take whatever damage their targets inflicted in the battle, but their ability to choose where they hit can help to minimize that, and the attacker won't get a chance to use units of his choice unless he launches an attack into the defender's stronghold.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-05-01 at 09:54 AM.