New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Donjon: the ICing

Politics in Bringol are complicated, so complicated that not even its participants really have any idea what's going on. One thing is clear, however: most of what's going on is going on because House Zagyg wanted it to go on.

Some Houses, such as House Aren'tson, want to have a say in the goings-on of Bringol's politics. House Zagyg owns a particularly lucrative bit of the slums, the Octarine Light District. It's a district consisting mainly of bars which serve pureed rat and other treats, brothels at which you can purchase hugs, and drug dens that aren't specifically for doing drugs (you can do that basically everywhere in Bringol, nobody really cares) as places that simulate a Magic Dire Mushroom trip by making everybody dress up fancy and talk strangely at each other. The whole mess is apparently run by a mysterious figure going by the name of Fatso.

Anyway, House Aren'tson thought if Fatso were gone, the Octarine Light District might change ownership. Perhaps House Aren'tson might gain some political clout in the process. So, they hired you, psychotic murder-hobos, to kill, kidnap, or otherwise **** up Fatso, and maybe sow some mayhem in the process.

First, though, you've got to stock up on gear. There's a nice shop in Bringol, the Murderhobo's Convenience Store. It's heavilly guarded because most of its clients are murderhoboes accustomed to killing and looting people, but the owner seems friendly enough. Susanna, little and round and with a smile to charm even a golem.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does eveybody know how the purchasing mechanic work? It's called a Wealth Roll I believe: Roll (using the [rollv] tags) a number of dice equal to your Sociality+the wealth you're bidding, opposed by 1(the dungeon level)+whatever Value of item you want to buy. State what you want to buy And what are its statistics? Is it a small club, Damage Rating 1, or a map, Find Out Where Precisely You Are In Physical Space 1? Both of these items have a Value of 1, and so you'd be opposing a roll of 1+1=2 dice.

And then you can [rollv] your Soc+Wealth Bidded. Make sense?
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Donjon: the ICing

Igor leans on the counter, smile like one more scar puckering his skin. "Tho we are back here again. Another go-round on the carouthel of life, whether we ride horthieth or thingth with too many armth dredged up from the dark and unfeeling depths of the thea. Another brilliant mind, another thet of thplintered planth, another untimely end. I thwear, thometimeth I think about thtriking out on my own." Igor mulls this over for a moment before noting the other customers standing in line behind him. "Anyway, Thuthanna, if you could get me another lab coat - thith one'th got thtainth of mythteriouth origin on it, and the color'th girly anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending three dice, and going for a Newly Laundered Lab Coat of Armor 2. Wealth test: (4d20)[6][16][7][17](46)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wayfarer isn't a man of combat, but the task ahead would require a little more than a hard stare to deal with unpleasant people. He lumbers up to the counter, some guttural grunt issuing from deep within his beard that sounds like 'crossbow'. He slings his massive backpack in front of him, digging through the countless pockets and pouches to find the necessary coin.

Spoiler: Purchasing
    Show
    Attempting to buy a Heavy Crossbow (3) by spending 3 Wealth.

(6d20)[5][5][16][5][11][18](60)
    Last edited by Dudeons; 2015-07-07 at 02:07 AM.
    Humanized version of my first avatar made linklele.

Declared God of Chance and Creativity as well as Equestria's Master of the d20.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterj View Post
    Love for the d12! Dudeons wins the game!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Susanna stares at Igor, annoyed. "You got anything against girly?" she asks. "No, I haven't got a lab coat. What are you, a nerd?"

And then she looks at the Wayfarer and shakes her head, issuing a gutteral grunt from somewhere deep within her throat that sounds that sounds something like "Sod off mister".

Spoiler: Opposition rolls
    Show
    Igor: value 2+dungeon level 1=(3d20)[15][19][3](37) Failure: my 19 beats your 17. The LoS doesn't apply, so all that happens is that you don't find a DR 2 lab coat. You retain all your wealth, so that isn't wasted either.
    The Wayfarer: value 3 + dungeon level 1=(4d20)[14][3][18][18](53) 18 ties with 18, but my second 18 breaks the tie, beating your 16. So you don't find the crossbow and retain all your wealth.
    Last edited by Eonas; 2015-07-07 at 04:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Evangaline comes in, a spring in her step and a smile on her face.

One rapier, my good madam! Thank you very kindly!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    I'm gonna spend 3 wealth on a Rapier 3. I think that's how it works, right?

(1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[6]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[5]
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Igor sighs, a rattling sound. "No, Thuthanna, I haven't got anything againtht girly, but I tried being a woman onthe and found I didn't much like it, tho you'll excuthe my fathion preferenthes." He thinks for a moment, almost audibly. "Well, maybe I can pay for thome information. You have a litht of thome kind, perhapth? A 'who'th who' of the underworld? A genealogy of nobleth' indithcretionth?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bidding three wealth for an Illustrated Guide of Recognizing People +2, Worth of 2. (4d20)[14][11][6][15](46)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Susanna smiles at Evangeline. "Of course, my good lady!" she says, pulling out a rapier from beneath the table and handing it to her.

And then she scowls at Igor some more. "So you have a problem with women, then?" She reaches under the table and slams a small booklet on the table: "The Sociopathic Socialite's Cheat Sheet". "I hope you choke on it and die, you impudent nerd."

Show
    You can bid more or less Wealth than the Value of the item you're trying to buy. If you bid more Wealth, you're more likely to get the item, but if you do get it, then you cross off that much Wealth from your total. (Which isn't so bad, actually: Wealth can be regained by looting people, and it's far easier to get from 1 to 2 Wealth than from say 3 to 4, just because of how the looting rules work. So if you spend more wealth now, it's easier to get it back later.)

Anyway. Opposition roll on Evangeline: (4d20)[3][11][11][1](26) Your 17 beats my 11, so success! Cross 3 wealth off and give yourself a rapier.

Opposition roll on Igor: (3d20)[13][15][13](41) Your 15 and my 15 tie, and your next-highest 14 breaks the tie by beating my next-highest, 13.
    Last edited by Eonas; 2015-07-07 at 10:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Igor smiles at the shopkeeper, revealing a motley assortment of teeth that appear to have been taken from whatever animals were close at hand. "Thank you, my lady, though I do not intend to eat it." He hands over his meager coin and turns from the counter to wait for his companions.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wayfarer strokes his chin in contemplation, although anyone else just sees him shoving his hand and a few inches of his forearm into the thick grey mop that consumes the lower half of his face. He looks at the glove on his other hand, worn and fingerless and full of holes. An idea strikes him.

"Gloves," The Wayfarer mumbles through his beard, "Sturdy."

Spoiler: Purchasing
    Show
    Going for a pair of gloves (Handle Dangerous Materials 2). Bidding 3 wealth.

(6d20)[17][17][5][12][15][9](75)
    Humanized version of my first avatar made linklele.

Declared God of Chance and Creativity as well as Equestria's Master of the d20.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterj View Post
    Love for the d12! Dudeons wins the game!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Susanna glances at your worn glove with obvious distaste and shakes her head. "None." she mumbles from the back of her throat. "Sorry."

Spoiler: Opposition roll
    Show
    2 wealth+ 1 dungeon level (3d20)[11][19][18](48)

19 beats 17.

Yikes, you folks have been getting awful luck at the store today.
    Last edited by Eonas; 2015-07-09 at 03:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

The clip-clop of hooves precedes Jakob's entrance, never one for timeliness. He greets Susana with a smile. "G'day there, miss! Just here to pick up a thing or two. I'm seeing a tussle in our future, and, well. As you can guess, I'm not exactly Mr. Turns On A Dime." A forehoof paws bashfully at the floor while his ears dip noticeably.

"I don't suppose you might have a little something protective in my size? Preferably something flattering? Maybe a long coat? Emphasis on the long?" Jakob drives home this last bit by reaching back to pat his gray flank. "Mm, though I guess too long might look a little too silly... Eh, I'll trust your judgment."

Spoiler: Wardrobe Upgrade
    Show
    Putting up 3 Wealth for a Dapper Long Coat with Armor 2.

Wealth Test: (5d20)[19][11][14][7][11](62)

I'm pretty sure that sociality-related Abilities aren't an option, here, but hey. Rolling two more here, just in case he's managed to amuse her: (2d20)[17][1](18)
    Last edited by Gaius; 2015-07-13 at 08:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Susanna gives you an elevator glance. "Let me check." she says, and goes into the back rooms. She comes back with a worn-looking long-coat plated with chain links. "Here you go. It's all I have. Now, trousers, I couldn't help you with."

Show
    Opposition roll: (3d20)[9][13][18](40) Your 19 beats my 18.

And no, sociality-related abilities aren't applicable here unless they're specificallly about buying stuff. I believe.
    Last edited by Eonas; 2015-07-15 at 05:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well then." Igor cracks his knuckles, and keeps cracking them for several minutes as he finds new and more interesting joints. "Into the lightleth depth we go. I think we ought to do a bit of rethearch firtht, though. Hard to do thienthe without it. What about thith eluthive Houthe of Arent'thon? Anyone who might benefit from upheaval in thith dithtrict?" He unrolls the Sociopathic Socialite's Cheat Sheet and follows the choose-your-own-misadventure tangle of heredity down to the latest line of uncreatively ambitious aristocrats.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what sort of ability Recognizing People would be, but I'm assuming Cerebrality. If it's some other ability, or if my new loot is inapplicable, use the first dice.

(8d20)[18][17][10][4][6][11][8][19](93)