New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Banned

Default Re: Dragonball Super: So it begins - again

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    or my two lesbian Android characters, y'know, expand the universe, focus on other things. flesh things out.
    I get it!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    I get it!
    .....uuuuuuuh.....that one was not intentional......
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

I haven't read any prose fanfiction but I do read Dragon Ball Multiverse, which is a fan manga. S'good. Lot of really interesting what-ifs, exploration of undeveloped lore and Goku isn't the be-all and end-all. There some prose side stories but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Banned

This latest episode was actually pretty good. It's strange that I actually find Dragonball much more enjoyable during the non fighting bits.

I don't actually expect the plot to go the way they say it will though.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Colossus in the Playground

They Tweeted the next Arc of Super.

It Starts June 12, so there's a bit of Pseudo-Filler before it, but basically
    Spoiler
    Show
    If anybody remembers that "Character from the future" that got teased a bit a while ago? It's confirmed that that is going to be Future Trunks.

He "Barely escaped the future with his life" and the(or at least a) Villain of the Arc is refereed to, in the tweet, as "Black Goku." Not Gark, not Shadow, not Future, "Black Goku."

The Arc is going to involve a conflict that transcends time and space and will involve "The God of Destruction, Kaioshin, and even the Omni-King."

We've also got picture of what Future Trunks is supposed to look like in Super
    Spoiler
    Show

And I have links to translations of the tweet, here and here
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Spamalot in the Playground

It'll probably be Dark Goku once localized. See also "Black Pit" vs. "Dark Pit" from Smash Bros.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #307
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    That's pretty neat. Future Trunks was my favorite character growing up.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Arale arale arale arale arale arale arale.

ARALE

9. - Top - End - #309
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It'll probably be Dark Goku once localized. See also "Black Pit" vs. "Dark Pit" from Smash Bros.
    I can't imagine how leaving it as it would be taken offensively in the U.S.

I wonder what the hair scheme will be, because that's all it ever is, maybe black, white, and purple SSGSSGSSG Green?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    I can't imagine how leaving it as it would be taken offensively in the U.S.

I wonder what the hair scheme will be, because that's all it ever is, maybe black, white, and purple SSGSSGSSG Green?
    I doubt the vast majority of people will even care. It may upset the fringe minority that gets upset about everything, but that's it.

Unless he shows up in actual blackface or something.

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I doubt the vast majority of people will even care. It may upset the fringe minority that gets upset about everything, but that's it.

Unless he shows up in actual blackface or something.
    The total number of people that get upset and their percentage of the anime-viewing population isn't the point though. "Black Goku controversy" makes for a very splashy headline to generate pageviews. You can bet sites like Kotaku would be all over it if they didn't change it, and it would be a distraction if nothing else.

Though speaking personally, I do think there are enough other epithets out there to make an edgy version of your protagonist without resorting to one with overt racial connotations.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #312
    Banned

I typed up a longer response, but I don't want to get this thread closed. Let's just say I disagree with the idea that using the word black as a synonym for evil is inherently racist and leave it at that. People have been using the word in that manner for thousands of years with no racial intent.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

I agree but I also think Mr Popo is an Arabian djinn so I don't think it really matters what we think.

On the recent episodes, can an anime based show have anime filler or is there a special term for what's going on?
    Last edited by Mato; 2016-05-19 at 06:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314

I think the proper term is a "breather arc." Lighthearted, funny, or cutesy episodes that take place in between major arcs.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Banned

I'm actually enjoying these silly episodes the most. Outside of a few moments, the fighting parts have been a bit sub-par so far.

I wonder if this evil Goku will come from Universe 6's Earth that Beerus wished back.

16. - Top - End - #316

I typed up a longer response, but I don't want to get this thread closed. Let's just say I disagree with the idea that using the word black as a synonym for evil is inherently racist and leave it at that. People have been using the word in that manner for thousands of years with no racial intent.
    I'm fine agreeing to disagree, but will also point out that language meaning can change in unexpected ways.

I'm actually enjoying these silly episodes the most. Outside of a few moments, the fighting parts have been a bit sub-par so far.
    Wasn't there a scene where Piccolo proved once and for all what a boss father figure he was to Goku's progeny?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wasn't there a scene where Piccolo proved once and for all what a boss father figure he was to Goku's progeny?
    There is? If so, I need to start watching this, because if Father-Piccolo is canon, its a gem that I need to see and basically confirm the TFS characterization of him all along.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #318
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    There is? If so, I need to start watching this, because if Father-Piccolo is canon, its a gem that I need to see and basically confirm the TFS characterization of him all along.
    Yep, it's in the newest episode.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Banned

So, the new arc actually looks promising if anyone is still watching. The art looks better, and the story looks decent as well.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

I know I often criticize this show for repeating the same plotlines over and over again...but this new plot about Trunks from the future returning to the past to warn them of a great enemy that will destroy the world seems very fresh and new.

21. - Top - End - #321

The thing about Dragon Ball is that, really, all the plots are the same. The only original plot outside of the original series was Battle of Gods.

First arc in Dragonball:Goku and friends gather the dragon balls. Humanoid Nonhuman wants to use the dragon balls for a selfish reason and is willing to use unethical and immoral means to get them.

Then a tounement arc

Second Arc, The Red Ribbon Army is attempting to conquer the world while also gathing the dragon balls. The Leader of the Army is a sociopath who thinks nothing of throwing away the lives of his men just so that he can wish to be taller, which he thinks will make him a "perfect" general. Ends on a tournament arc.

Then another tournament arc

Third Arc, a powerful supernatural being, later revealed to be made from the expelled evil half of of a good guy, attempts to turn the world into a playground for evil for his own amusement, once slain, is reincarnated and his reincarnation becomes a good guy, but not before one last tournament arc

Z

First Arc-Humanoid Aliens come to earth to use the dragon balls for selfish purposes, willing to kill everyone on earth to get them.

Second Arc: Goku's friends try to gather the namekian dragon balls to rez their friends. Humanoid alien and his army want to use Namek's dragon Balls for selfish reasons, willing to kill everyone on the planet to get them.

Skipping Filler, Third Arc, Red Ribbon Army's Mad Scientist, a sociopath, build androids and forcibly converts people into killer cyborgs to get revenge. His magnum opus was to create a "Perfect" life form, and said life form was obsessed with becoming "perfect" and demonstrating such "perfection."

Fourth Arc, powerful Supernatural being gets released, starts breaking the planet for poops and giggles. Later learns the difference between right and wrong, expelling evil half. Evil half destroys the planet, and reincarnates as a good guy when finally defeated. Also, arc starts out as a tournament arc.

GT

Humanoid Non Human wants the new incredibly powerful Dragon Balls as part of his ultimately pointless revenge scheme-also, Goku and friends have to gather them first or the earth will be destroyed again.

Second Arc-All hell breaks lose, redoing a Movie Plot, Plus Red Ribbon Mad Scientist teams up with another mad scientists to create an evil android that'l forcibly combine with another android to create a perfect "Super Android," who then proceeds to be obsessed with being the strongest and showing off that he's the strongest.

Third Arc-Powerful Supernatural being made entirely of evil negative energy decides to screw up the world for his own amusement. Fought and destroyed in exactly the same mane as the last Powerful Supernatural being was.

New Movies/Super

Battle of Gods-first new original plot in a while, Goku becomes god to fight another god who looks like a villain but is actually just doing his very important job, and even though Goku loses the god doen'st kill anyone or destroy the earth because the fight was fun and the food was good.

Resurrection F-Basically a rehash of the "Frieza's Back" miniarc in between Namek(or Garlic junior if you count filler) and the Androids, except Frieza is significantly more powerful instead of just slightly so and is actually a threat instead of being "*scoff* so last season."

Universe 6 Tournament-Another Tournament arc. For Bonus points, the guy backing the other team is a humanoid non human who wants the New and ultra powerful Dragon Balls for his own selfish and petty reasons and broke some rules trying to get them all.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The thing about Dragon Ball is that, really, all the plots are the same. The only original plot outside of the original series was Battle of Gods.
    And this arc will probably be about the bad guy wanting the dragonballs and the one after that will probably be the multiverse tournament.

I believe I've said it before in this thread, Dragonball isn't well written. We still like it through

23. - Top - End - #323
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's a ridiculous lie in every sense of the term. Baba's tournament was vastly different from the first world tournament and that tournament was vastly different from the second which was different from the third.

The multiverse tournament was essentially a lazy amalgamation of all of them though. Hit is essentially just a reflavored Tien Shinhan and the initial battles were basically the bog standard "big guy goes up against a main character, loses by a gimmick" that's been played out long since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

It's not like it's a crime for the sequel to a 30 year old series to have some call-backs to its original work anyway.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

While the tournament could have been better I think it was pretty decent. I'd have liked frost to be an actual good guy and any of them being a challenge for our guys, apart from Hit... but it was okay.

The fillers were fine but maybe the Superhuman water (nice call back to DB btw) arc could have been more fleshed out.

Also, interested in the new arc so far but it seems like it will be over soon (?)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #326
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    While the tournament could have been better I think it was pretty decent. I'd have liked frost to be an actual good guy and any of them being a challenge for our guys, apart from Hit... but it was okay.

The fillers were fine but maybe the Superhuman water (nice call back to DB btw) arc could have been more fleshed out.

Also, interested in the new arc so far but it seems like it will be over soon (?)
    According to Toriyama it will last a while. It's also supposed to be the darkest arc of Dragon Ball ever.

27. - Top - End - #327

According to Toriyama it will last a while. It's also supposed to be the darkest arc of Dragon Ball ever.
    And so far, it's delivered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Within five minutes of seeing future Bulma, she's dead. Horribly so.

Trunks has touching moment with Future Mai...by the end of the episode she's dead.

Next episode, Normal Trunks is freaking the hell out because nobody is telling him who this stranger that looks like an older him is, and they're all calling him by his name.

Then future Trunks wakes up, sees Goku, and triggers and attacks because the villain is literally evil Goku.

Though the fact that Goku was perma-dead as far as Future Trunks new the last time he was present might be a factor. Regardless, even Beerus ad Whis are horrified at this turn of events.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Regardless, even Beerus ad Whis are horrified at this turn of events.
    I didn't watch this week's but...

Spoiler
    Show
    Why should they even care?
    Beerus destroys stuff and Whis gives him direction & guidance on what to destroy.

The Supreme Kais should be concerned, the Kai of Time should be concerned, North Kai should be concerned, Dende should be concerned, etc. Like the rest of the characters from Dragonball, they are forgotten about.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Banned

Well, none of them are there so we have no idea if they're concerned or not.

30. - Top - End - #330

Spoiler
    Show
    They're specifically horrified by Trunks attacking Goku.

Beerus and Whis consider Goku a friend. One of Goku's friends just flipped the frack out and attacked him.

although, considering that Beerus destroys things because it's his job and fulfills an important cosmic purpose. I could understand him getting pissed off when Black Goku shows, since Black Goku seems to be killing and destroying for lulz.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks