New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Random Plots and Places 11: Still more random than you!

[Sandswept Palace => Desert]

Onto the sand-boat they each get and off they go! The psionic speaks with the sorceress, the kobold almost-apprentice asks a bunch of questions of his master, receiving mostly cryptic, laconic answers, as usual. The kid's been assigned three new textbooks to read before they get half-way there.

Now, after the palace has vanished over the horizon, they can stop and disembark.

"A repetition of your first working, to start. Never forget where you began."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Desert

Zen touches a small pendant on his neck, set with one of the sandstones he crafted that day.
    I'll never forget that, Master." he says, scooping down into the sand and coming up with a sandstone the size of a golf ball, a subtle but proud smile on his face.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #153

[Desert]

The other boy almost cheers for Zen, but the sorceress stops him.

"Something from each energy, alone."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Desert

Zen nods. He holds out his right hand, and a pinprick of light forms quickly after a quick half-minute of meditating and getting a feel for his surroundings to channel Activity. The light moves around him for two rotations and then winks out of existence. Then he takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. It takes a much longer period of meditation (glowy!) but he does produce a Hollow effect.
    "Four days from now a rainstorm will happen to the West of the palace on its own, without any magical intervention." he states, in a very accurate measuring. He's not so good on really specific predictions, but weather is something that he's learned to do.

5. - Top - End - #155

[Desert]

His Master is frowning slightly. He was right, and did manifest the light, but they had hoped for better.
    "A joint working next." That is, using both energies.

Which is most things magic can do.
    There's little chance that will fail.
    "Activate all your chakra centers and perform the mudra of Unrestrained Travel to cross the barrier.
    Zen might have picked up on the fact that this part of the test is a trick. It's probably impossible; no one's ever managed to cast the spell he's referring to. But he also might be the first person to manage it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Desert

Zen raises an eyebrow immediately.
    "Master, I know my efforts to conserve energy don't really make for impressive spells, but I think if I were to attempt to be the first to succeed in a previously impossible spell, I'd be doing it with preparations, not on the spot before I perform the otherwise most complicated working of my life." he says, in a respectful tone despite his words being a bit...sarcastic.

7. - Top - End - #157

[Desert]

Disapproval intensifies. The master and the sorceresss exchange dark looks. He gives a slight shake of his head.
    "Perform the spell. If you ask for preparations, think back."
    Perform the spell and 'And nothing else' goes unsaid.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Desert

Zen bows low.
    "Yes, master. My apologies." he says sincerely.
    He can't help it! This is all very stressful! And he only knows like, two people he's ever been able to vent at. Scipio is an amazing teacher and kind of a crap father figure.

Zen breathes, and opens his chakras. Then he simply sinks under the dunes. It will be over a minute or three before anything happens, but the astute might notice the sand begin to darken before a geyser of water erupts from a few feet beside Chata. After a good ten seconds beyond that, Zen appears in the steadily growing oasis pond, coughing a bit.
    "Ooof. Was really hoping that water would go faster." he mutters.

Scipio might not have even noticed that underground reservoir. It was at least half a mile deep. Not only would Zen have had to travel that far incredibly quickly, but he would have had to push open a channel for the water and stimulate its flow, all without drowning.

How'd Zen know it was there? He checked his own future two minutes ahead. He got "deep" and "water" and guess from there.

9. - Top - End - #159

[Desert]

They wait for a minute.
    Chata speaks up "is he dead? I don't hear him thinking anywhere."
    It's remarked by the sorceress that it would make a really great story if he were. Scipio is not amused.

And then they all step back from the rising water and watch his triumphant return.
    "An interesting interpretation, to be sure. You've already brought the water. Gather the wind and the clouds." Is that the beginning of a smile at the corner of the Master's face?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Desert

Zen coughs again but nods in response, sitting down in the pool cross-legged and starting a small incantation, which he has seen his Master do countless times, even if the land stopped needing purifying years ago. It is not an incredibly speedy process, but it should not take very long for clouds to gather and the wind to pick up considerably, though Zen is courteous enough to keep them below gale-force.

11. - Top - End - #161

[Desert]

That's a shame. Some people were hoping to see a dust-devil.
    "Given this, your task is two-fold. Finish this oasis, tie it into the land and make it last. And then, make yourself a suitable self to appear as a Master of the Work."

It'll be difficult. Zen will need to add palm trees, re-route water sources, and arrange the winds and pattern of shade, maybe sculpt more rocks out of the desert, in order to preserve this little place. It will take lots of both energies, have a bunch of complex interactions, and probably take quite some time. All that with the distraction of the water and sand from his tunneling.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Desert

There isn't really much of a response from Zen besides another nod and a look of resolution. He sits there in the pool and sets himself into a trance. The source of the pool should be enough; it simply needs some adjusting to that it continues to flow up. He summons some sprouts from his master's garden that were going to be set in pots and shipped away, ploughing them into the sand already forming into less loose dirt, and shoving enough Activity into them to make them resemble actual young trees. The winds are tied off and set into motion appropriately. Zen's player doesn't really know exactly what they ought to be, but Zen does.

There is a slow, growing rumble after about twenty minutes, and soon a large plate of sandstone rises from the dune, and then a partner, connected to stone underground to prevent moving, and sheltering the trees from 24-hour sun. The water is soothing to him, even if it's soaking him through.

It'll take many hours, but the oasis will be completed. Zen will be just barely conscious as he gaps and finally ties his last magical knot.
    But it will be completed.

13. - Top - End - #163

The observers have moved away as more and more changes happened. It verges on boring at times, and breathtaking at others. As it comes to a stop, there is applause. A proper oasis, with plants growing, winds carrying life in, solid stone holding it

The sorceress slithers up and sets a hand on Zen's head. Activity and Hollowness should flow into him, and fatigue flow out.
    The major-domo, uncharacteristically doing something, offers Zen a bowl of clear water from the oasis.
    "You need to be able to do anything yourself, in time, but we aren't meant to do everything alone."

"Nearly done. You know your last step?"

Chata is lounging under one of the trees, but now flicks his head over to look at Zen. Can he manage it?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Sandswept Oasis

Zen gulps down the bowl of water quickly, savoring the taste after hours of stillness.
    "I do, ma'am. Been memorizing it since I was told I might be ready. I would gladly take any advice, though.
    Does it...hurt?"
    he says, a bit embarrassed and nervous as he eeks out the question.

15. - Top - End - #165

[Desert]

The sorceress shakes her head.
    "No advice now. After you make it."
    She gives him a nod.
    "Not much. Aches later, but it gets better."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #166
    Bugbear in the Playground

Luna Lab

Evan refuses at this point to let go.

Listen to me. I'm just so... Happy that you are alive. I saw you gone. Forget about the rest of it.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

[Luna In Da Lab]

Luna nods and sniffles, looking back at Evan. "I'm... I'm not ready to get married, I see that now, b-but... please, let's not break up. Anytime I'm with you, I'm home."

The Professor smiles and walks over to the happy couple. "I still have that new body of yours, if you want to make a transfer. I ran all the necessary tests, and it's at maximum efficiency. The only thing is, you'll need to get used to it."

Luna nods quickly in response, then looks to Evan to see what he'd think of it. After all, if all things remain equal, they're a couple. Couples do things together.

They don't stick the other without their express permission. That thought makes her cry all the more.

18. - Top - End - #168

Luna Lab

Evan nods to Luna, willing to wait on her being ready. Deaths have a way of making people think that way.

I prefer you how you are but it's up to you.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

[Luna In Da Lab]

"Oh, she'll still be the same, just with a better and more-useful body." The Professor speaks up before Luna can reply. "It's phased out plastic surgery for ages. Just get a clone of your body made to your specifications, and transfer your mind to it. I don't trust the consumer-grade one, though. Want my patients to keep all of their minds..." He mutters as the machines fully release Luna.

Still, all she can do is just lay there in Evan's arms. "I need to go, Evan. It'll only take half an hour."

20. - Top - End - #170

Luna Lab

Eventually Evan lets go of Luna and lets her walk off to get her procedure done with. In the mean time, he realizes he hasn't updated his weapon and sets himself to sitting against a wall and scratching in his new tally marks.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

[Luna In Da Lab]

Luna is taken away and the procedure done. When it's over, The Professor comes out of the room to meet Evan. "T'was a success, as usual. Luna's presently doing some physical exercises - and I assure you, when she's done I'll give you both some alone time - so I think this is the right time to get to know the man who's dating my daughter."

22. - Top - End - #172

Luna Lab

Evan continues carving out his marks, not looking up at first.

What do you want to know?
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2015-07-25 at 12:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

[Luna In Da Lab]

"Oh, nothing you don't feel comfortable sharing, though I'd like to know what's happened to her lately, and to you both."

The Prof leans on a wall near Evan and prepares to listen.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Sandswept Oasis

Zen sighs and gets up, forming a little ritual circle in the sand. Like most magical things, it isn't really necessary, but it helps him out. He picks a shaded spot to stand, and rather noticeably removes his pants and shoes, which Chata might have known he would do but likely looks odd anyway. He stands there, glowing and meditating and casting, and it takes a good while, completely restructuring one's legs. The magic aspect of it actually takes up most of the time. Though the skin darkens and shifts quickly, the legs don't alter themselves until the final stage, and when they do it's all rather fast. Which was intentional; normally it's gradual, but Zen really wanted to get the crazy part over with fast and segmented the steps. After several minutes of magical attunement, there's only one brief one where his legs crumble into a second torso, his already scaled skin stretching over new legs, bones, and tail. Another few minutes to make sure all his new chakras are aligned, and he lets the magic fade, admiring his monochrome form. He looks over at the masters expectantly.

25. - Top - End - #175

Luna Lab

Evan finishes off scratching the tally marks and nods to Luna's father.

I'm an assassin. Over the course of us knowing each other, Luna did things that make me question my trust in her. The last straw being that she drugged me without my consent. I took the ring I gave her and told her that if she wanted it back, she'd earn it. By that meaning, earn my trust back. And that brings us here.

26. - Top - End - #176

[Sandswept Oasis]

There is a yelp of surprise from Chata at the final step of the transformation, then silence.

When the magic finally fades, there is applause. Few people, but quite well-meant.
    "Well done."

Scipio looks back with an honest smile.
    "You are one of us now, Zen, without reservation. You have worked at this with a determination few display, and I have been proud to have you as my student."
    Not huge words, but he likely hasn't heard Scipio compliment anyone before.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Sandswept Oasis

Zen gives a bashful smile, scooping up his now unwearable clothes. Can't be littering in his brand new oasis.
    "Thank you, Master. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do I...do now? It hasn't really been mentioned what an apprentice usually does when he reaches this point." he admits bashfully. It's weird, getting past the point you've been working towards for four years.

28. - Top - End - #178

[Sandswept Oasis]

Everyone else comes up to congratulate him in turn.
    "Way to go, Zen, buddy!"

"Yip! Very impress! That was the best magicful thing!"

"Good work there. You've been aliright. We'll miss you."

"Started slow, but it ended up quite a show, didn't it?"

Scipio nods.
    "You keep learning. It is expected that you now spend three years traveling the worlds, seeing different places, peoples, ways of doing. This oasis is yours now, and you will be welcome back at my palace, but first, you journey. You have spent these years learning how."
    "Now you must learn why."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Sandswept Oasis

Zen nods. He did know that he'd be gone shortly after, just not how shortly after.
    "Very well, master. I'll just go back to my room and get my things?" he asks hesitantly. Not that he has all that much to bring, but a waterskin would be a good place to start, plus a bag to put it in, and what little money Scipio gave him over the years.

30. - Top - End - #180

[Sandswept Oasis]

"Don't be silly; you leave in the morning. What, do you think you just get turned out into the sands with nothing?"

"Besides, you'd miss your party if you just ran off like that."
    Whoops. That was supposed to be a surprise.

At a nod from Scipio, the kobold apprentice runs off back to the sand-boat, followed more slowly by the major-domo, then everyone else.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine