New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Mistwalker (cleric sea domain)

New to 5e but experienced with other editions, I went to roll up a water domain cleric but found there wasn't one. The PH suggests using Tempest for sea gods, but shooting lightning bolts strikes me as more Zues than Poseidon. I wanted to avoid the Aquaman problem of being too good in water campaigns, and too weak on land. I took a lot of stuff from the Elemental Evil spell list since there were very few water spells in the PH. Anyways, since I haven't played 5e yet I'm still not sure on the balancing end of things but here's my idea so far.

Sea Domain Spells
    1st level - Fog cloud, create or destroy water
    3rd level - Water breathing, misty step
    5th level - Gaseous form, tidal wave
    7th level - Control water, watery sphere
    9th level - Conjure elemental (water), maelstrom

Bonus Cantrip
    When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the shape water cantrip if you don’t already know it.

Bonus Proficiencies
    When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons. You ignore the obscuring effects of fog, rain, and water, and have a swimming speed equal to your normal speed.

Mist Form
    Also at 1st level, you gain the ability to use Mist Form. When you are attacked by a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see, you can use your reaction to transform yourself into Mist Form, gaining the same effects as the gaseous form spell, until the beginning of your next turn. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Charm Aquatic Creature
    Starting at 2nd level, you can also use your Channel Divinity to charm aquatic creatures. As an action, you present your holy symbol and invoke the name of your deity. Each aquatic creature that can see you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is charmed by you for 1 minute or until it takes damage. While it is charmed by you, it is friendly to you and other creatures you designate. Aquatic creatures include any creature that can naturally breathe underwater, has a swim speed, or is from the elemental plane of water.

Embrace the Mists
    Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to breathe underwater.
    Also at 6th level, when you enter Mist Form or Gaseous Form, you may Misty Step immediately, teleporting up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see.

Divine Strike
    At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

One with the Deeps
    At 17th level, you gain resistance to cold and Echolocation, granting you blindsight 120 feet but which is disabled while deafened.
    Also at 17th level, you gain the ability to command aquatic creatures. While creatures are charmed by your Charm Aquatic Creature feature, you can take a bonus action on your turn to verbally command what each of those creatures will do on its next turn.
    Last edited by Reatlvl99; 2015-07-08 at 09:25 AM.