New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Chaos In Amber IC

Markus nods and replies. "The one I heard of said Amber will be destroyed. Obviously very similar."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Hector gives a grin and wink. "Oh, you know me so well. Will you need any more assistance from your Prince?" he asks in a mock-serious tone.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Syresia sighs and leans back, "Thats the thing really. I have no idea what to do. I mean, I want to try and fit in, and I've certainly seen my fair share of courts and intrigue over the years, but really, its always been as an outsider, knowing I will go home afterwards. I am more fond of exploring and seeing what is out in the world than in staying in one place and trying to sit on the shiniest chair."

She waves her hand around the room, "Other than finding good food in a terrible part of town, what do you guys do for fun around here?"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

"The impression I got, somehow, was that when it said 'Chaos is coming' that 'Chaos' meant some kind of state, or organization. Amber doesn't have any enemies using that, do they?", Ganelon asks.

OOC - From what I remember in my recent re-reading, that Amberites came from primal Chaos to form Amber wasn't generally known at this point, so Markus wouldn't have heard of that used that way. Syresia, on the other hand, might well have heard Dworkin mention it, as might Marie or Fianella.

Hector

"No, I believe that you should return to your important business at Court, and leave these minor matters to us, my lord", the Warden replies with equal mock seriousness.

OOC - So, now Hector needs to decide what he's going to do now.

Syresia

Your food arrives just then, and both you and Random sample it. For such a dive, the fish is indeed remarkably good.

Random then answers your question, "Travel in Shadow, mostly, or play political games."

He then gets remarkably serious. "See, the thing is ... anything we want, we can find in Shadow. We can find games where we always win easily, games where it's a challenge, places where we can play music and listen to any sort of music that suits our fancy. We can find worlds that party and worlds that are empty. We can find worlds where we're anonymous and worlds where we're gods. No matter what we want, all we have to do is ride out into Shadows a ways and we'll find it, eventually. Amber ... is more real, somehow, but besides that it is ... well, what it is.

"If you really care about ruling Amber, nothing other than Amber will do. But if you just wanted to rule an Amber that's almost identical to this, all you have to do is walk a little ways and you'll find one. Sure, it won't quite be the same, but if you just want to rule somewhere you can find an Amber where you can do that ... or a nice little kingdom where you can do that yourself. And, as Marie points out, if you stay long enough in an area you'll even make it a little more real, because of the Pattern inside us ... once you walk it, of course.

"Personally, I have no idea why anyone would WANT to rule anything. And it seems that for those who want to rule, only the real thing will do. I can't see that myself, but there you have it.

"So what is there to do in Amber? Be part of the only realm that's really, truly real. If you like that sort of thing, of course."
    he finishes with a grin.
    BSG PBF record on BGG: 16 - 17.

"For a nice guy, you're kind of a jerk" - Ayane, P4: The Animation

"Stop saving the world and get a hobby" - Seto Kaiba

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus shakes his head. "No, I don't think so, though what makes you think he doesn't just means chaos as in the opposite of order?"

OOC - Would Markus have any idea that any of those might know something?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Hector gives the Warden a faux-serious salute. "Stay on your toes, and remember--tell me right away if you find anything of import."

With a whistle, Hector signals to Huginn to take to the air. With a burst of flair and speed, Hector runs to a nearby tree and scales it with the easy grace of a master climber. On the final branch, Hector leaps into the air and onto Huginn's back.

"Well, that was good for some stress relief," Hector muses to the roc as it flies through the air. He continues to talk to his mount as he makes his way over the trees once more.

He spends a few dozen minutes more scanning the horizon and treetop. The reassurance that the Warden will relay any new intel to him is enough to mollify him, and so he begins to make his way back to the castle not too long after.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hector will return to the castle. I'm confident you have hooks to sink into him from there.

7. - Top - End - #157

Planetar

Syresia nods approvingly at the food as she replies, "It is still hard to get my head around the idea that this world may be more or less real than any other. I mean I have traveled a few world and they all seemed very real, its hard to not think of the place where I spent for all intents my whole life in as a very real place, if anything this world, and the revelations surrounding it feel surreal."

She pauses to think, and take another bite of the fish before continuing, "Perhaps this will all change if I walk this pattern, and part of me wants to do exactly that, but I am unsure, and if guesses are wrong, well, it would be very bad. So in the meantime, I guess I just need to explore this place and learn its ins and outs."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

Ganelon shrugs, "There's nothing that I can point to, but it really sounded to me like it was saying 'Chaos' the way I say 'Avalon' or you say 'Amber'."

He muses for a bit, and then adds, "I guess the only people who'd really know if there's any kind of Shadow like 'Chaos' would be Dworkin or Oberon ... although it's a bit convenient that we can't ask either of them about that at the moment."

OOC - Markus would know that Hector was a favourite of Oberon, and so might have mentioned that to him (he wouldn't have). He'd also know that Marie and Fianella spent a lot of time with Dworkin, and so might have picked something up from him. He wouldn't know about Syresia's relationship with Dworkin, although it's up to them to decide if Hector knows about that or not.

Hector

You return uneventfully to the castle, and note that it's coming up on time for dinner.

OOC - We should be at the end of the day here, so I won't add anything until we see if the others want to talk to you about anything. There are lots of hooks already for things to investigate or ponder.

Syresia

Random gets surprisingly serious, "You've come at a bad time for that, then, because soon, very soon, you're going to have to decide where your loyalties lie. You're a wild card in this succession thing, and everyone wants to get the wild card in their hand ... and out of their opponents. So you have to suspect the motivations of, well, pretty much everyone.

"Except for me, of course! Because I am completely and totally trustworthy and apolitical!"
    , he finishes with a grin.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's a fairly big assumption based on very little." Markus replies, referring to the first assertion. "You're right that we can't ask either of them, though they might have told someone about it. Not likely people I would want to ask nor likely get a useful answer out of though."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #160

Planetar

With a friendly laugh at the comment, Syresia replies, "Of course you are. I'm almost tempted to believe you, if only because you are so delightfully flippant". Finishing her food she leans back and adds, "So, I guess it is best to not make any airtight loyalties for now, just try to learn everyone elses motives and personalities, it can be fun to be the wild card as long as I dont stress over it.".

With the meal ended, Syresia stands and looks around, "I suspect we are about done here, where do you suggest visiting next to get to know this so very real kingdom?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

Ganelon shrugs, "It's just a gut feeling ... but I've been a soldier long enough to know that you trust your gut feelings. And my gut feelings are telling me that's a name. And my gut feelings are also telling me that it's an important name."

Syresia

Random replies, "The one place you have to see, at the risk of sounding like Marie, is the Pattern. But don't go alone ... and, whatever you do, don't step on it."

OOC - Sorry about the delay. Things have been a WEE bit hectic lately, so I keep forgetting what day it is ...

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

"And I've been a commander for long enough to know not to trust gut feeling." Markus replies. "But it's the only lead we have so it's worth a shot."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #163

Planetar

Syresia looks a little hesitant as she replies, "I'm not sure I want to go near that yet.. I mean it sounds interesting, but dangerous. There may be safer ways to examine my heritage than that, perhaps you can describe to me how it works better, what exactly it is or does. Or better yet, show me how it works, if that isnt asking too much."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

Ganelon seems relieved. "Good! At least someone is taking this seriously ...

"But as I'm sure you've guessed, I've got a personal interest in paying whoever this is back for what they did to my kingdom. So, if you're willing, I want in on this."

Syresia

Random laughs. "What, do I look like Marie? All I know about the Pattern is that it's massively hard to walk it and that after you do you can pretty much go .where ever you want! That's enough for me.

"I've heard that some people can do magic with it, but that's never really been my line. Marie and Fianella, though, seem to be able to do it, so you might want to talk to one of them if you want to know what the Pattern does, or see what it does beyond what Hector would have had to have already showed you just to get you here."

Seeing that you are both finished, he starts to leave the table, leaving money to pay for both.

He says, "Well, I should get back to spreading joy across the realm. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus nods. "Of course. You can join Shepard." He replies. He then looks around a bit confused. "Now where did she go?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OOC - Shepard didn't come with Markus to see Cassandra.

Note that even though my normal way of creating characters might suggest it, I gave Cassandra her name BEFORE I really started playing Dragon Age: Inquisition [grin].

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daimbert View Post
    OOC - Shepard didn't come with Markus to see Cassandra.
    I know, he means where did she go from the training grounds.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #168

Planetar

With a smile to Random, Syresia replies, "you are a true professional, sir" as she too heads out.

After a little more time spent walking the streets of the city, she feels she has a good enough idea of what the place is like, it is, for all the claims of being at the center of the multiverse, a fairly normal capital city.

As the day becomes late, she heads back towards the castle before it grows dark, there is no need to create unneeded risk after all.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

Ganelon replies, ""Shepard? Ah, that's that Special Forces operative, isn't it? She's looking into this, too?

"I'm not sure that my joining up with her is that good an idea. A soldier like that tends to want to choose her own team, and if you push me on her she's likely to take it personally ... or think that I'm a spy for you. And I'm not all that good at taking orders from someone that I technically outrank.

"I might be better suited to working with you directly on this. I ASSUME that you aren't going to leave this all to her, and having someone not of the Royal Family and who isn't that recognizable could be a benefit to you. Besides, I have no problem playing second or even third or fourth to the House of Oberon!"
    he finishes with a grin.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah Shepard is on it, she's the reason I knew anything about any of this in the first place. I am not going to do much digging into this before more shows up, I feel like right now we are just chasing ghosts. But I understand your point about Shepard and I'll let you work on your own."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ganelon seems a bit disappointed, but he replies, "Fair enough. If I learn anything, I'll let you know."

After a brief pause for thought, he continues, "But you might be able to do me a favour, if you wouldn't mind. I'm new here, and it'd be nice to have an in with some of your other siblings. I've already talked to Cassandra and her ilk, and don't see much help there, but the others might have some information and might even be willing to be more active than you are right now. Marie's probably not really approachable, and Random, from what I've heard, is too Random, the new one, Syresia, too inexperienced, but ... you're on decent terms with Hector, aren't you? Any chance of you introducing me to him?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus chuckles lightly. "Syresia would be a better bet than Hector." He replies. "I also think she might know more that I don't know. Not that Hector knows nothing, just that I already know much of what he knows."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ganelon smiles, "Why not both? Syresia's more likely to have information that no one else has, but Hector's in a better position to take action on what we already know and might learn ... and I'm more for action than talking, anyway.

"Here's an idea: why don't you invite the two of them and me to dine together tonight? That shouldn't arouse much more suspicion than, well, you even talking to them would, and in the course of that we can find out what Syresia knows, and what they want to do. If we find out things and if Hector wants to do some active investigation, I'm overjoyed. If not, then I'm still better off than I was before, because they know who I am."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're better off either way, I'm not." Markus replies. "But I guess it is worth a shot." He then adds. "Want to dine with two siblings and some dude you don't know?" He giggles. "Can't see them declining that invitation."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ganelon shrugs. "I'll leave that to your enormous powers of persuasion."

You then agree to let him know where and when (likely through a servant) and then he heads off.

OOC - So, now it's back to the point where all three of you can get involved. Markus needs to decide how he's going to invite, and then based on that we'll see where the next scene or scenes go.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus snickers at the remark. He then go finds two servants and ask them to deliver a message to Syresia and Hector.

"Markus has received new information about something that might be a threat to the realm. It would be in all of our interests to try to think of a solution to this problem. If you value the safety of the realm you will show up for dinner this evening at Markus' chambers."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OOC - I don't have any special servant encounters planned, so everyone else can just write up their reactions and their arrival at his quarters.

28. - Top - End - #178

Planetar

Arriving at her room in the castle later that evening, Syresia tosses her bag down and takes out a pad of paper. Intending to make a few quick sketches of the city while her day was fresh in her mind, she is instead interrupted by a light knock on her door.

Walking to the door, only to find a servant with a simple message to relay, she nods her acceptance and steps back into her room with a sigh, putting away her supplies and prepares for another noble dinner. Markus didn't seem too bad, but it was never good to take chances she thinks, as she visualizes her home and sets her bag carefully on the table there, rather than anywhere in this room, keeping only the essentials she plans to bring with her.

She then gets up, goes over her appearance to make sure she is presentable, and heads off to find Markus' rooms. She arrives in a few minutes after a quick question to one of the passing servants.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Hector has been in his room for a half hour, scribbling idle thoughts, then crossing them out and rewriting more. The servant's arrival is accepted with his normal pomp. He dresses in his typical formalwear, choosing not to over or underdress. Just a dinner between his least-disliked siblings; what could be more innocuous?

He arrives at Markus' chambers just as Syresia arrives, and he gives his sister a pleasant nod. "How do you fare, sister?" he asks with a brotherly smile that could easily seem faked, but was far more genuine than he'd give his other siblings.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus opens the door, wearing nothing too formal. "Greetings, to the both of you." He says and nods them welcome as he opens the door and waves for them to come inside. "Dinner should be ready in a couple minutes." He says and then waves at Ganelon. "This is Ganelon."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature