Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Zodiac Campaign (IC) Thread #3

(We've matched Three Goddesses)
    Dont forget to subscribe
    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light.

Poor planning on your part does not, for me, an emergency make

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodiac Campaign (IC) Thread #3

The party sorts and divides the treasure, while Mika gives an estimate of how much the Amazonian will cost for proper repairs once they get into port. After also cutting the crew in for a partial share of the gold (which minimizes the risk of a mutiny), the group comes way with 20,000 gold pieces each.
    The centaurs that were captured but not killed are freed, and after discussing where they now find themselves, they decide that this island is probably as good a place as any for them to live, and maybe if they pray hard enough, some divine providence will lead more centaurs (including some female centaurs) to come there.
    The repairs are completed without further incident, and with the combined efforts of the crew and the party (and even the centaurs can be convinced to grab a line to pull), the ship is pulled off the beach and into the water. The repairs hold, the ship is once again seaworthy, and the Amazonian can continue its travel to Keltor.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2015-07-08 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Change of GP earned
    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Vanarath goes into his field provisions box and pulls out fresh, red meat, coaxing Akkathal back, "Sorry, my friend, but she will not give her sword easily ... or her body. This will have to do."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Spoiler: Image of the Druid-Witch
    Show

Rise of the Runelords: Celiss Nightrom
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Shattered Star: Lilim

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Worshipping Tishtina as she has before during the trip, Daciana prays for company for the centaurs, and thus a bright, happy future for them. Otherwise, Daciana continues as usual, helping with keeping morale high for the party and the crew.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Araon

Araon gladly helps with whatever task is required in repairing the ship (carrying logs, pushing/pulling things, holding ropes, etc), removing his armor if necessary to have less encumbrance and thus decreasing the repair time. And, althought hunting and gathering is not particularly his speciality, he's concerned about any lost supplies and will help refilling the pantry by working together with Mika and any officer in charge of the food inventory.

Once the ship is ready, Araon dons his armor back and joins the rest. During his free time, he will continue teaching some basic fencing lessons to the volunteers who wish so, and this time, he will focus on instructing his "students" on defense against projectiles (like arrows) and optimizing the cover. It's very important that the crew have any means to defend themselves (and the ship) properly when their captain and the party are away.
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2015-07-09 at 02:20 PM.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika

Mika is very concerned about the status of her ship, and conducts daily inspections of all the temporary repairs while at sea, ensuring that the vessel and her crew and passengers make it safely back to the mainland. It takes time, but her irritation with the centaurs for attempting to set fire to the ship slowly fades once they're at sea.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Slowly but surely the Amazonian begins to make progress on the ocean, but it is slow going. The storm cost the ship a sail as did the fire attacks of the centaurs and while they didnt get them all, the ship cannot put on full sail. As well, Mika probably wouldnt even risk full speed, for fear of the repairs breaking open from the stress. Keltor has fine ship building facilities in the port, the head office of Atlantisstar, the finest ship building and shipping business of Daystor is located there, and the ship will be as good as new once she gets it to them. But she has to get there first.
    After about a week of slow going, Mika begins to worry about running out of rations before they make land. The ship had taken enough rations at the start, but the slow current progress along with the fact that the storm washed some overboard has strained that supply. She scans the horizon for signs of land and while she doesnt spot land, she sees something even better.
    A huge ship is lumbering through the waves, quite clearly heavily loaded by the way she sits so low in the waves. The ship is flying a white flag of neutrality (in the city sense), along with a flag that identifies themselves as belonging to the Corsada Trading Company. Mika has seen these sorts of ships before.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Mika," Eleth'Sarat says to the captain. "While Daciana is likely our best overall diplomat, I recommend sending Vanarath over with your good will and request for aid. Of course, sharing of news abroad is common. If it likens them, then we can come alongside for full greetings and then you (as captain) with Daciana (as counsel) can speak with their captain. It might speak well if, for once, Featherhead's form and speech will aid us."
    Tonight (4/15) is opening night for 1776 at The Media Theatre. This means that my posting will be slower through May 22nd. If you are a player, especially in multi-player games, please continue to post so as to not hold other players up ... you never know when I will post. I know, double-standard for DM, but I am a diva.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"It is true that as a messenger of Michael Bindar," Vanarath, surprised by Eleth'Sarat's commendation, "I am good with first meetings between two or more parties."

"Okay, that was way too helpful,"
    he thinks. "What is she getting out of this?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Show

Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika

Mika shrugs, "If you wish, you may. These are merchant vessels, and are willing to sell to any vessel in need of supplies. So I hardly expect any sort of hostile encounter. BUt if you feel you can negotiate us a better price on their wares, by all means, feel free to make first contact. Leastwise first verbal contact." The captain orders the running up of a signal flag indicating a desire to parley, to get the attention of the other ship.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The parley flag is run up the pole and the other ship immediately acknowledges it by turning towards the Amazonian. The ships draw close together and both crews throw ropes to each other to tether the ships together. A rather rotund man comes forward at this point, with a booming voice.
    Who be yer cap'n? What supplies do ye parley for...food, water, sometin else?
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2015-07-13 at 01:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the ships have already pulled aside .... meaning that Vanarath's part in this is pointless. He defers to Mika and Daciana.
    Current Games
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika

"Food, water, and sailcloth," Mika calls back, her voice projecting as only a sea captain's can. "I'm Captain Anova."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

(Mika know she has approximately 30 people, counting crew and party, and is about 5 days short on supplies, 150 person days, and requires about 450 square yards of sailcloth)

Aye, we bear water and food, and sail in bulk. The price be 13 silver per day for food, 5 silver per day for water, and 3 silver per square yard of cloth

Spoiler: Math
    Show
    food: 13X150=1950silver (195 gold), water: 5X150=750silver (75 gold) and sail: 3X450=1350silver (135 gold) for a grand total of 405 gold

The prices are about double what it would cost in a port, but they aren't in port, and the supply ship is in business to make a profit.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Daciana shows her winning smile as she adresses the merchant. "I am glad you are willing to trade with us. This is a vessel and crew specialized in hunting pirates, the most dangerous kind, among other threats needing the attention of professionals. They do valuable work, making the seas a safer place for those who are of peaceful and successful professions, much as, evidently, your esteemed self. How about 6 per day for food, 3 per day for water and 2 per square yard of cloth? This crew has already faced terrible dangers indeed after all, dangers no longer a threat to you and your colleagues." Daciana doesn't expect him to immediately agree (though he would still profit, if marginally, if he did), giving him a little wiggle room to maintain his pride as a merchant with a bit of haggling.

Diplomacy (1d20+34)[42]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Ye drive a hard bargain missy, how about 10 for food, 4 for water and I meet ye at 2 for the sail cloth

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"With such a big, splendorous ship burdened heavily with success and you, by your own words, having plenty of all we are seeking, how much could giving this brave crew a kind deal really affect your bottom line? 8, 3, 2." Her smile is nigh hypnotic, eyes not letting him withdraw from the situation at hand.

Diplomacy (1d20+34)[40]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The captain thinks about for a minute, but then says Deal, spitting in his hand and then offering it to Mika. Daciana may be the negotiator, but the captain knows only Mika can make a deal.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika

"We have an accord," Mika says, before spitting in her hand and smacking palms with the other captain. "We'll want a week's supplies of food and water and 450 square yards of cloth." While the ship can get by with the bare minimum, Mika figures a couple of extra days supplies is a good idea in the event they run into any additional delays.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

With the amount requested, the price comes out to 3110 silver, or 311 gold. While the amount is counted out, the supplies captain shouts orders to his crew, who start to bring up barrels of water from the hold along with packed cases of trail rations, along with the requested canvas cloth.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Araon

"Excuse me, captain. May I have a word?" Araon asks Mika. Then when he starts speaking low. "In the past the hands of the gods have guided our path to make sure we obtain the weapon we need to defeat the next Zodiac. If it was their command that allowed us to find the javelins needed to defeat Virgo in a pirate ship, then perhaps we should check what else that merchant ship has to offer, before the deal concludes. Something to defeat Capricorn."

"Needless to say, I can help with the expenses of the supplies and cloth; and of course whichever relic is needed for our crusade."
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2015-07-21 at 03:09 PM.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Throughout this all, David had kept himself to the side in contemplation. While he isn't a terrible diplomat, it is clear Daciana has a far greater mastery of words than he.

When Araon makes his comment, he adds his views in a low voice, I agree. If it is on their ship, we cannot afford to let it slip by us, as Sagittarius' bow did at first. If nothing else, we could ask the captain if he has anything related to goats.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The Chiefs' Lounge in the navy is referred to as the "Goat Locker." I don't know if that helps.
    Tonight (4/15) is opening night for 1776 at The Media Theatre. This means that my posting will be slower through May 22nd. If you are a player, especially in multi-player games, please continue to post so as to not hold other players up ... you never know when I will post. I know, double-standard for DM, but I am a diva.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

The loading of supplies is pretty much 90% complete, and I assume you have paid?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika

Mika pays the coin from her own surplus for now-- time later to sort it out with the other members of the party. On the suggestion of Aaron, she asks the other captain, "Might I inquire as to what sorts of weapons you have available for purchase as well? Never know what might come in handy."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Weapons, hmm, no. We dont deal in weapons, by making sure that we have no offensive items, no one can claim we launched an attack on them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Daciana will give Mika the whole 311gp after the merchant is on his way again. She whispers to Mika "I believe we will encounter what we will need against the next Zodiac when we get closer to it. Searching a giant merchant ship likely won't bring something we can use."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

With the business of paying and loading of supplies completed, the two ships disengage their grappling hooks on each other, the Amazonian continuing westward towards Keltor and the supply vessel continuing its search for other customers.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika

Mika nods agreement with Daciana. "Still, it was worth asking."

---

As the ship gets underway again, Mika's focus is on getting the ship to Keltor without further incident or delay. She puts up as much sail as the vessel can manage in its current state, but doesn't push it too hard. She knows her ship is crippled, and isn't going to make it run when it's only capable of walking.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Mika is able to gauge exactly how much the ship is able to take, putting on the right amount of sail (one of the sailors is skilled enough to turn the raw canvas into a serviceable sail) and pushing the ship to its safe limits. The rest of the journey takes about two and a half weeks before the group finally spies land.
    Keltor is built on a peninsula that curls around a bay (think of Italy, if Corsica were actually joined to the country), so the ship has to sail around the tip to set up to enter into the bay. However, the moment the ship comes around the tip, they can see trouble. There are about 3 ships patrolling the actual entrance to the bay, and a fourth ship is cutting across the ocean towards the Amazonian, clearing meaning to cut them off and preventing entrance into the bay. It is flying a flag, that is clearly not of Keltor.