New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 43: Where the sun hurts your eyes and burns your skin

[Pit]

'I suspect you overestimate your transport'
    'but perhaps your people are so skilled'

Why would there be a problem with that? Nick is a meaningless carbon-lifeform.
    'That is not incorrect, though it is a clumsy way of expression. Your mind is locked into its current state by the effect that blinds you and keeps you separate from me.'
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

Nick waves a hand.
    "Well, good. You chose a lovely color for your Listeners but I like having skin. And a mouth. So being a part of you sounds rather terrible if mind control is involved too. If you want me to try finding a transport, let me know now. Otherwise, you won't hear from me or mine again. Thanks for your time, Sunny." he says, turning to walk away.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #213

[Pit]

'mind control? How petty, no. Try to find transport if you can, and you will be recalled as a good neighbor. Disappear, and you will not be remembered unkindly.'

'maybe you can understand this way'
    The song in his head changes, like when it showed its name. Faint, more complicated images.

He sees the sun-symbol, and then, whirling into place below it, the star system diagram. It comes together one round thing at a time. A start, a planet here, a planet there, asteroids in here and so on. They spin, showing the impression of time. Zoom to a planet. Stick figures appear, running hither and thither across the surface (which can hold about ten stick figures in view).
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

Nick slows down to focus on the images.
    "Alright. I am with you so far." he says, perplexed as to what exactly he is being shown.

5. - Top - End - #215

[Pit]

While he slows down, the listener speeds up, standing up from the wall and strolling up towards a little ways past Nick.

All of a sudden, the stick figures are gone. It zooms out, one sees the planet proceed merrily in its orbit. Time goes by. More stick figures appear, just visible at this distance. An asteroid/comet/missile slams into the world, send it reeling. No more little living figures. Time goes by. Moons arrive and leave. Time goes by. Life appears again, on a different world, and spreads to all the little planets being imaged. Little triangle wedges stream across the imagined field, wiping the stick figures away. Time goes by. New living things, coming from elsewhere. Sunny's ray symbol shifts slightly and a world tumbles into the sun, incinerated.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

"Okay, now you have lost me. Are you trying to say that you have lived longer than all of these civilizations? Or did you cause that planet to move?" he asks. What is it saying?

7. - Top - End - #217

Pit

'yes, both of those. To me, your concerns are inscrutable, small, and confusing. Occasionally one of your civilizations does something troubling, or amusing. Both are, generally, meaningless compared to the dance of the stars.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

The Tower- Second Floor

For future reference, the raider is an NPC, but they are my NPC. I don't know how a haemorrhaging diaphragm hinders somebody. Furthermore, Earl can be forgetful, and had forgotten it was a cut-everything-sword. Which, considering the raider's power level, is nearly overkill. They have no supernatural abilities, no super-advanced weaponry and in most cases no armour.

The raider is winded and stumbles to the floor, completely breathless. It'll take him a minute or so to get enough air into his lungs to function again. Hotaru can easily take him out now, or Phil can since his summoned wind has sufficiently dispersed the smoke from the bomb.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

Nick grins.
    "And you are slow, ponderous, and wasteful, because in the time it takes for our world to rise and fall, you will have done nothing. You will probably not have even thought about doing something. Did you even have a reason for destroying that world? For killing millions who likely were not even capable of doing anything to you?" he asks casually.

10. - Top - End - #220

[Pit]

Nick's radio goes quiet.

'Yes'
    The song resumes its ordinary songing. And the listener leaps at him, claws outstretched to catch his arm.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

Nick is caught by surprise during the otherwise civil conversation, and the burning claws tear easily through the plastic suit. Nick nearly lashes out with a foot with a snap kick, but pulls back when he remembers the creature is made of liquid rock.
    So instead he simply clutches at the wound in pain, muttering about how the listener must be the first male offspring of a female dog as he tries to walk away as fast as he can.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2015-07-28 at 05:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222

[Pit]

Nick needs to work on his definition of civil.
    The listener's goal was for the burning to continue in a very particular way. The liquid stone burning into the suit, sealing it as it cools, but burning through the arm and hand underneath, and not stopping terribly soon, replacing them, a bit of neck, with living stone like itself.

Otherwise, it lets him leave.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

"Well you've (huff) got about (huff) five seconds to explain why the [expletive] you (huff) did that or I am going to not have any (huff) nice things to (huff) say about you when all this is over." he chokes out, not able to move very well at all with the searing pain but trying to get up the now steep upwards spiral of the tunnel.

14. - Top - End - #224

[Pit]

'Don't worry. I had my reasons. Consider it a lesson in scale.'

It can be a bit of a climb, but, despite the listener now capering after him and mockingly running circles around him as best it can, he's technically unobstructed.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

"Well I got scale, all right. (Huff). Rot in your hole, starspawn. Maybe listen to your listeners sometimes; you might just learn about what living is.
    But really, thank you for not giving this one a mouth."

Yeah, he got a scale of how big a jerk it is!
    But no really, the Singer's mind-reading thing should probably be able to tell that at this point Nick just needs to vent nasty thoughts due to the searing pain in his left arm. And that third statement was something he legitimately wanted to say earlier and was saving for later in the argument.

Nick pulls the rope to start reeling in, though in an effort to save him from being bumped rather violently, he waits until the straightaway to give the rushed one and give up on moving.
    Oooooowww.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

[Not-North Forest]

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Heck crosses his arms and looks at her disapprovingly. "Nice try, but no sell. Yes, I'm paying you to show me around, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun for you as well. Now tell me how we can make us both happy."

Then he leans back, waiting to hear her answer.
    "Well first, you can pay me the full amount agreed upon. Children don't feed themselves. Then, you can sign this contract, stating the assignment has been fulfilled to your satisfaction." Judy pulls out a piece of paper from behind her back and holds it out for him, complete with pen. "Then," she shrugs. "Then we can spar."

If Heck takes the paper, he'll find that it is thicker than it might otherwise seem, though he'll still have to place it against something to make it easier to sign.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

17. - Top - End - #227

[Pit]

Nick gets reeled in eventually. The listener stops and turns around, heading back to the depths, once they pass the point that it becomes more vertical.

Everyone is listening happily to hear what he saw.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

If they're asking on the comms, they will get a pained groan and "reel faster."
    If/when they're asking in person, the first thing they'll get (besides the obvious burns on the suit, which likely are rather large given what's in one of the sleeves...) "Get me out of this damned suit."

19. - Top - End - #229

[Pit]

They are on the comms!
    Maria will chime in with a worried 'what happened?'

And he is in fact hurried out of the suit, people being slightly intrigued and mostly horrified by his freaky alien arm.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit

"Well, it turns out the alien squatting in your lovely little hole is a few-billion-year-old astral entity that has destroyed at least one planet for reasons not shared with me but that I strongly suspect were 'for laughs' and is currently sitting there slowly affecting your minds so that if you ever wander close enough to it for it to have physical influence over you it can ask you to commit suicide for it, which you will not see a problem with, whereupon you get this all over your body like the friend I described, after being violently burned to death.
    Oh, except I got this because it decided to scratch me, so It might not actually need the willingness since It got at least one guy to do it already. It called everyone on the planet insignificant and meaningless, and I think I may have acute radiation poisoning. So if you excuse me."
    he says, in pained fury that immediately subsides as he pulls out a communicator from his belt.

"Come in Union HQ, this is Sgt. Richards requesting immediate evac after assignment. Be advised Foreign Mental influence in the area and Class-1 Quarantine protocols are suggested, over." he says calmly, before letting out a minor cry of pain as his arm burns his own armpit.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2015-07-28 at 08:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

[Pit Town]

"Yer lying. And I suggest you come out with what really happened right quick."

Other people are shaking their heads.
    "It does fit in. But it can't have destroyed a planet just for fun. It means well, we can all hear that, right?"
    Maria looks around the watching crowd, nods.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit Town

"It probably wasn't actually for fun. That was pain talking. It could have been out of annoyance, too. Or perhaps even anger, though I doubt it. But it did tell me, completely and 100% bluntly, that it caused a populated planet to be sent into the sun. If you want to justify genocide, go ahead.
    Sir, I have an arm made of god-damned liquid rock. Do you really think that I have any reason to make this story and more insane than it already is? I saw the minion that did this to me, and the burnt facemask of a radsuit. You lost one and never recovered it, didn't you? Well, that and it told me that that's how it works.

And it doesn't matter, Maria. If you're saying that, it's already made you agree with it, and like it. I'd tell you all to leave, but I know you won't. So I hope you like blue. And aren't much fans of your individuality."
    he says angrily, and with resignation. The poor saps are doomed. Doomed unless the Union can get their minds scrubbed, but it's unlikely that would go well.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [The Woods]

Lillian raises her eyebrows and gives Mimi a quick glance. "Well it sounds pretty good. What's the catch, though?" It sounds too good to be true even, but she assumes Riss is getting to some point.
    [The Woods]

Riss supposed that she might need to be generous when it came to categorizing what could be a 'catch' in this case. "Well.. I suppose the shallower scarring might fade a little and the larger ones would shrink a bit....If that is something to worry about. This is something that would let you heal better, after all, so even old wounds would be affected..." the muse said. "You'd also need to drink a rather nasty grey sludge that would make you feel pretty ill for a few days too but I get the feeling that isn't really anything you would concern yourself over." she added.

She still suspected the offer to sound too good to be true and that wasn't even touching on the quickened healing that would characterize the long-term benefits of this particular colony. She refrained from suggesting the second colony which would guard against poisons and other harmful infections but held off for now, suspecting that Lillian was perhaps more wary of strange offers like this out of the blue.

24. - Top - End - #234

[Pit Town]

"Oh, like you wouldn't kill a whole planet."
    Maria turns and stalks towards the pit.
    "I'm going to see this for myself."

The dwarf takes a look at his magma hand and admits that's probably valid.
    "Well, yeah we did. 'twas brave of ya going back there then. But don't you be spreading crazy stories."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit Town

"What, are you stupid or something? Without a suit you'll be dead long before you get anywhere near close enough!" he demands of her, worry in her voice.

There is the low rumble of engines as a large black dropship swings into view, descending to low altitude and dropping a landing platform with a few armored soldiers and a stretcher.
    "And that would be my ride. For the record, during previous incidents out staff did gain experience helping people who have been...'influenced' by foreign minds. If you believe me at all and want to get yourselves examined, I guarantee you'll be returned to your families quickly and without harm." he asks, pleadingly as the stretcher is brought. The medical/ evactroopers have laspistols but don't have any out or otherwise threatening the townsfolk.

26. - Top - End - #236

[Pit Town]

"I'm tougher than you are, boy. If it doesn't kill me in a few seconds, I don't need a suit."
    Rope! Grab! Begin rappelling down!

The townspeople scatter as the helicopter comes into view.

Buuuut.

A handful go with, to be treated. Everyone else is pretty sure they'll never be seen again.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Pit Town

"My suit is literally right there! She'll die, somebody stop her!" he screams at her, and the people around but it's too late unless she listens to reason or someone grabs the rope. Either way, the troopers will take their leave, restraining Nick if they have to, as ordered. The villagers will get to sit in the nice seated part of the med bay.

28. - Top - End - #238

[Pit Town]

"Maria, you still got a long time before you get to do stupid life-endangering stunts like this. What if you don't come back?"
    "Think of the kid."
    She stops, just inside the pit, and sighs.
    "Yeah..."
    And slowly she'll climb out and just sit on the lip of the pit, staring down in.

The villagers in the med bay feel nervous. A little bit freaked out. One of them's never flown at all before, which doesn't help. But they're mostly okay.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Well, maybe so, but still, I wanna show you the way I've learned to fight.
    Sophia responds, reentering the titan form and letting out a loud roar, before ripping out of the titanic body and summoning her 3dmg, using it to perch on a tree.
    Loud footsteps sound as a titan slowly approaches through the forests
    [Sie Sind Die Jaeger]

Mimi whirls toward the sound of the approaching titan. "Uh..." How many of those things are around here anyway? The pixie grips her spear and flies higher. Best not be too trusting that Sophia can handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    [The Woods]

Riss supposed that she might need to be generous when it came to categorizing what could be a 'catch' in this case. "Well.. I suppose the shallower scarring might fade a little and the larger ones would shrink a bit....If that is something to worry about. This is something that would let you heal better, after all, so even old wounds would be affected..." the muse said. "You'd also need to drink a rather nasty grey sludge that would make you feel pretty ill for a few days too but I get the feeling that isn't really anything you would concern yourself over." she added.

She still suspected the offer to sound too good to be true and that wasn't even touching on the quickened healing that would characterize the long-term benefits of this particular colony. She refrained from suggesting the second colony which would guard against poisons and other harmful infections but held off for now, suspecting that Lillian was perhaps more wary of strange offers like this out of the blue.
    [The Woods]

"A few days? How ill?" Lillian says, perhaps not focusing on what Riss expected her to.

"I got what Riss was talking about. Drinking that goop was awful, though." Mimi sticks out her tongue in disgust. "I felt terrible for days and could barely do anything."

This causes Lillian to frown. "While it sounds good, I can't afford to be out of commission for so long. I have a responsibility to my tribe."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wir Sind Die Jaeger

The 7-meter tall giant enters the clearing, its Ken Doll Physiology as obvious as its bloated stomach and disproportionately long arms. a large head, tilted to the side as it stares vacantly ahead with glasy blue eyes and a creepy grin, lies upon its form.
    Sophia doesn't seem fazed in the least by the horrors of the uncanny valley, and swiftly moves to action. a grappling hook launches from her gear and she takes a swinging start from the trees about the clearing, moving behind the giant with great celerity. The titan shifts to face the new opponent and runs towards her with arms waving side-to-side a she swings by its flank, and attempts to swing an arm and grab her. She swiftly uses gas jets to boost out out of the way, hooking to the arm and using her blades to unhand the giant. It reels in pain as steam billows from the stump, Sophia firing a hook between the giant's eyes and speeding at its face. She flings her blades into the titan's eyes, ejecting them from the handles and drawing new ones as she changes direction and arcs over the blindly flailing titan to deliver a swift, deep cut vertically downwards the titan's body in a blink-and-you'd-miss spin attack. the titan's nape is cut and it falls over and begins decaying, Sophia landing upon the forest floor with graceful ease as titan blood upon her outfit steams and dissipates
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!