New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Mass Effect General Thread II: The Other Final Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    See, I hate doing that unless I'm playing a biotic class. The furthest I'll go bonus power-wise on a non-biotic is Warp Ammo (this was the choice for my Infiltrator), and even then I just say that I have a stockpile of modded ammo given to me by one of the biotics on the crew. Per Jack, this is a thing that actually happens.
    I can respect that. I just see Shepard as a particularly well-rounded character, with talents touching all three areas of expertise, though not all of them equally. I've got a mod in my ME3 right now that imported several of the MP powers to SP as bonus powers. Playing an infiltrator with Biotic Slash (and a N7 re-retexture of the Slayer armor from Citadel) is something beautiful. This is how a space ninja rolls, Leng. You may want to take notes.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    (and a N7 re-retexture of the Slayer armor from Citadel)
    Why in the name of the Enkindlers did I not think of this???
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I can respect that. I just see Shepard as a particularly well-rounded character, with talents touching all three areas of expertise, though not all of them equally. I've got a mod in my ME3 right now that imported several of the MP powers to SP as bonus powers. Playing an infiltrator with Biotic Slash (and a N7 re-retexture of the Slayer armor from Citadel) is something beautiful. This is how a space ninja rolls, Leng. You may want to take notes.
    My WinShep was an infiltrator... but I gave her biotics in ME2, figuring that part of the "drifting in space" thing could have easily been eezo infection.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Do lift grenades even lift? Or do they just kill anything that could theoretically have been lifted and damage everything else. Because I'm wondering if duration at rank 5 and slam at rank 6 are just trap options.

Has anyone ever seen lift grenades actually lift an enemy. And even if they did, in what situation would slam be better than a 30% radius and damage buff? I'm speaking from my own limited experience though. Things may be different in Gold and Platinum, or in Single Player.

Recently tried to finish the 200 waves for my Asari Vanguard, hence the question.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

... Do you not know how biotics works? That'd just cause radiation poisoning. You need to have Eezo in your system as a featus when human to develop biotics.
    I however think of it as being naturally biotic, or possibly being added surgically by Cerberus.

As for assualt riffles in ME 1, high accuracy ones can make up for not being proficient... Truth be told I just play a biotic in 1 though.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    ... Do you not know how biotics works? That'd just cause radiation poisoning. You need to have Eezo in your system as a featus when human to develop biotics.
    I however think of it as being naturally biotic, or possibly being added surgically by Cerberus.
    That's more or less exactly how biotics works. While exposure to dust-form eezo in utero is the usual way of doing it, there's no indication that such exposure afterwards will result in radiation poisoning... tumors or other anomalies, sure, but not necessarily radiation poisoning. Given the unprecedented amount of attention you were getting in the Cerberus hospital, I'd think they can overcome that... and the explosion of the Normandy would leave plenty of dust-form Eezo around.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post

As for assualt riffles in ME 1, high accuracy ones can make up for not being proficient... Truth be told I just play a biotic in 1 though.
    Theres a rare type of biotic that is exposed to it while in vitro, develops no Biotic talents but upon a secondary exposure can develop those talents later one in life. Shepard whether or not you choose to be Biotic was indeed exposed to Eezo before they were born, this is established in the timeline if I remember right.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Theres a rare type of biotic that is exposed to it while in vitro, develops no Biotic talents but upon a secondary exposure can develop those talents later one in life. Shepard whether or not you choose to be Biotic was indeed exposed to Eezo before they were born, this is established in the timeline if I remember right.
    I didn't know that, and yes she was [To explain how she can be a biotic if you so chose.].

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Do lift grenades even lift? Or do they just kill anything that could theoretically have been lifted and damage everything else. Because I'm wondering if duration at rank 5 and slam at rank 6 are just trap options.
    They lift unshielded/unarmored enemies but the vast majority of those will die before the lift effect matters anyway, even on Insanity/Platinum. Personally I would agree that Slam and Duration are trap options.

Has anyone ever seen lift grenades actually lift an enemy. And even if they did, in what situation would slam be better than a 30% radius and damage buff? I'm speaking from my own limited experience though. Things may be different in Gold and Platinum, or in Single Player.

Recently tried to finish the 200 waves for my Asari Vanguard, hence the question.
    Lift an enemy? Not really - most things hit by them die before the lift effect or slam effects matter, or their shields/armor negated the lift effect in the first place (see above.).

I've seen plenty of corpses go drifting off, but while this looks amusing, obviously it's irrelevant at that point.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-08-09 at 12:45 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree. My very first character in ME1 was Test Shepard, who was deaf and had a mental disorder which caused him to walk around doing nothing but spamming Overload on recharge at random objects.

After 75 Overloads, I wisely chose to retcon him away and make John Shepard, a Vanguard who could actually hear what was being said in cutscenes and happened to have Electronics as a bonus talent. In later games he always insisted on learning Energy Drain as a bonus power.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Decided to try some gold games, and it wasn't as bad as I had thought. I haven't been kicked yet, at least.

Running the geth trooper, and I'm looking for opinions. What weapon(s) would you take with the GT and what would you take for rank 6 of flamer. Armor damage or shield/barrier damage. I normally default to armor damage out of habit, and I started with the geth pulse rifle (because geth, lol). However the geth pulse rifle, even at level IX, is pretty weak in my experience.

I was thinking either the Reegar, which I have at X, or the Acolyte, which I have at V. But other suggestions are welcome.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Decided to try some gold games, and it wasn't as bad as I had thought. I haven't been kicked yet, at least.

Running the geth trooper, and I'm looking for opinions. What weapon(s) would you take with the GT and what would you take for rank 6 of flamer. Armor damage or shield/barrier damage. I normally default to armor damage out of habit, and I started with the geth pulse rifle (because geth, lol). However the geth pulse rifle, even at level IX, is pretty weak in my experience.

I was thinking either the Reegar, which I have at X, or the Acolyte, which I have at V. But other suggestions are welcome.
    The acolyte, and take armour damage. Slap warp or incendiary ammo and a shield booster on and you should be able to solo Gold/Reapers/Giant pretty easily.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Something amusing happened on my most recent Gold run.

Immediately after deployment on Firebase White my three teammates ran down the stairs and into the lower room. Surprised, I followed them, and found two geth and a drell crouching behind the counter.

It took me a while to realize that they were in fact planning to make that place a defensive position, and since I am loathe to stray too far away from my team I ended up hiding behind the counter at some points of the match as well.

I am actually surprised by how well it worked. It was a Gold match against Geth and they (we) held that counter against waves of pyros, primes, and bombers. Based on the powers I saw it was a geth trooper (flamer), geth infiltrator (cloak), drell assassin (recon mine), and me (another geth trooper). Double-flamer was pretty fun.

It worked so well that the group leader thought it would work on Platinum. We tried it, switching the drell and the infiltrator for a geth engineer and a volus adept. Even with all the healing we got wiped on wave 8. Doesn't help that Platinum has random enemies from other factions show up.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Something amusing happened on my most recent Gold run.

Immediately after deployment on Firebase White my three teammates ran down the stairs and into the lower room. Surprised, I followed them, and found two geth and a drell crouching behind the counter.

It took me a while to realize that they were in fact planning to make that place a defensive position, and since I am loathe to stray too far away from my team I ended up hiding behind the counter at some points of the match as well.

I am actually surprised by how well it worked. It was a Gold match against Geth and they (we) held that counter against waves of pyros, primes, and bombers. Based on the powers I saw it was a geth trooper (flamer), geth infiltrator (cloak), drell assassin (recon mine), and me (another geth trooper). Double-flamer was pretty fun.

It worked so well that the group leader thought it would work on Platinum. We tried it, switching the drell and the infiltrator for a geth engineer and a volus adept. Even with all the healing we got wiped on wave 8. Doesn't help that Platinum has random enemies from other factions show up.
    Ah yes, White/Geth/Gold. I recall it fondly from my days of cred-farming. Even after that half of the map was reworked hunkering down like that is still the easiest way to farm it. Even with those stupid Geth Bombers.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-08-11 at 12:40 AM. Reason: swapped out a pronoun for a verb and a few descriptors
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

15. - Top - End - #165

Easiest way to farm creds is Geth/Rio/Platinum in the shipping container, provided you have a tank with you. (Geth Juggernaut is best, or an Asari Justicar or Valkyrie, or better yet the first two.) Have an infiltrator with you in case of a disable quest and rake in the dough.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Easiest way to farm creds is Geth/Rio/Platinum in the shipping container, provided you have a tank with you. (Geth Juggernaut is best, or an Asari Justicar or Valkyrie, or better yet the first two.) Have an infiltrator with you in case of a disable quest and rake in the dough.
    Well, now it is. But in the days between the rework of White and the release of the Earth pack, accept no substitutes. Even after Platinum came out, IIRC.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-08-11 at 12:40 AM.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can someone tell me the weak spots for the Atlas? I looked around and I get conflicting information. Some say the canopy, others the fans on the back, and even the crotch (there's a plate there that comes off if you damage it enough). Which of these is right?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

To my knowledge, the back, you want to shoot it's cylander. The Canopy used to be one, and still is in single player, but no additional damage anymore I believe.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Well, now it is. But in the days between the rework of White and the release of the Earth pack, accept no substitutes. Even after Platinum came out, IIRC.
    Earth Pack was a huge change to MP, yeah.

I did find it hilarious though when White got changed and everyone ran to the farming spot, only to have a bajillion grenades fall on them and everyone began panicking
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Can someone tell me the weak spots for the Atlas? I looked around and I get conflicting information. Some say the canopy, others the fans on the back, and even the crotch (there's a plate there that comes off if you damage it enough). Which of these is right?
    I don't recall offhand if they add extra damage or stagger it or what, but there's plates on the knees, shoulders, and crotch that can be shot off from the front.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Earth Pack was a huge change to MP, yeah.

I did find it hilarious though when White got changed and everyone ran to the farming spot, only to have a bajillion grenades fall on them and everyone began panicking
    *cringes, squeezes legs together* Oooh, Bombers...
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-08-11 at 12:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Had a four juggernaut game one time. It was Silver, so probably overkill. Even though I died in the first wave because my heavy melee suddenly decided not to work. On the positive side I've finally locked down my juggernaut build.

When playing a juggernaut the mindset is really different. When I hear the Banshee scream, I immediately start looking for it. If I'm not playing a juggernaut, it's to keep my distance for fear of sudden hand-through-heart syndrome. If I am a juggernaut that game, it's because I want to run at it. If my team kills the sync-killer before I get there I'm disappointed, as opposed to relieved, which would normally be the case.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Another dumb question...

I have ME1 for steam, and I can't find where my achievements are. They aren't in the steam UI, and I can't find them anywhere in game either. I just want to know when I've hit 75 spells/150 gun kills in case I want to restart the game with another toon.

Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Another dumb question...

I have ME1 for steam, and I can't find where my achievements are. They aren't in the steam UI, and I can't find them anywhere in game either. I just want to know when I've hit 75 spells/150 gun kills in case I want to restart the game with another toon.

Anyone?
    Theyre buried somewhere in the start menu if i remember right. Load up the game and I think if you go into the options you can find them there.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Theyre buried somewhere in the start menu if i remember right. Load up the game and I think if you go into the options you can find them there.
    I believe this is the case as well. I vaguely remember feeling irritated that I had to switch in and out to find those achievements.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Found it! I have Sniper Rifle and Electronics mastery! I should have Sabotage and Damping soon, and maybe Pistols.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

27. - Top - End - #177

So I got to thinking earlier today and I wonder how Andromeda is going to handle heat sinks in the game. I really can't see the natives using heatsinks that are compatible with our weapons. Of course that's if they even use mass effect technology and not some other form since they wouldn't of had the Reapers manipulating their technological growth down that specific path.

TBH I kinda always thought the switch to ammo should've just been a retcon because the in game explanation only partially works. Sure you'd want to switch to heatsink guns because they fire faster and hit harder, but you'd also want to have your troops have an older style gun as a backup weapon at the least. Frontier worlds would also probably favor the older style weapons as well so they wouldn't have to rely on incoming resources for their ammo. It basically neglects the whole logistics side of the equation.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They could go for multiple ammo types. Heat sinks for our guns, and a different type of ammo for local guns. There's precedent for that with ME2's heavy weapon ammo, which was tracked separately from the otherwise universal thermal clips.

It would set up logistical questions. Do you want to use a gun you're familiar with and probably have easy access to mods for, or an alien gun which probably has more ammo lying around the battlefield? Or a recharging gun which is heavier than a thermal clip gun, and has a slower overall firing rate?

Having thermal clip guns, local guns, and recharging guns as options would be cool. ME3 did bring recharging guns back, and they performed reasonably well as far as I can recall.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Native/Self Cooling. Duh.

I mean, who likes running out of ammo? Yes, I could just play an Adept or Engineer, but I like shooting things.

30. - Top - End - #180

So I got to thinking earlier today and I wonder how Andromeda is going to handle heat sinks in the game. I really can't see the natives using heatsinks that are compatible with our weapons.
    Omnitools are capable of mini-facturing in the field so this can be easily handwaved. Whatever the bad guys drop can become "ammo" with just a little engineering and/or chemistry.

Of course that's if they even use mass effect technology and not some other form since they wouldn't of had the Reapers manipulating their technological growth down that specific path.
    Well that's the million-credit question, isn't it? After all, the only race we've known of who has ever left our own galaxy are in fact the Reapers. While making them the Big Bad of this title would be a bit of a stretch, it's possible for them to have some extra-galactic influence.

TBH I kinda always thought the switch to ammo should've just been a retcon because the in game explanation only partially works. Sure you'd want to switch to heatsink guns because they fire faster and hit harder, but you'd also want to have your troops have an older style gun as a backup weapon at the least. Frontier worlds would also probably favor the older style weapons as well so they wouldn't have to rely on incoming resources for their ammo. It basically neglects the whole logistics side of the equation.
    The Particle Rifle and Collector Rifle show that they can make recharging guns if they want to (both in-universe and metagame-wise.) So I expect there to be a couple of guns like that in the new one too. But they'll likely be the exception rather than the rule.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-08-19 at 08:16 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy