New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Help findign a race for a character concept

Hi Folks,

Starting pathfinder tomorrow, and my GM mentioned he hates Catfolk, which was my original plan.
    Due to this I have been working on another character concept for my Mutagen Chemist.

The game is a customer world setting, and one of the Empires is the Gnomish Technocracy.
    My concept is an idea based on a mix of bane, Hulk and Weapon X from the horribly atrocious Wolverine origins movie. The character will have tubes and pipes surgically added to his body. This has increased intelligence, but he relies on them to live (Bane). He can use one of the serums to turn into a raging creature that sprouts mechanical blades from his arms (Hulk+Weapon X).

The Idea is he is an experiment done by a crazed (evil) gnomish Technomage. His laboratory was raided and, the raiders thinking my character a dead experiment, left him there on the bench. Due to the gnome being dead/not there, the control serum ran out, allowing my character to awaken. I plan to have him with metal limb replacements, and be a cyborg-ish character.

I just don't know what race! I have considered are
    Android - he is a robot. I was after a more human character
    Tiefling - His demonic blood allowed him to survive the experiments. Can take claws and tail as mechanical additions to his flesh. Possibly Oni-Kin as a bordering nation has nobility descended from oni/genies

I am very open to suggestions though

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Help findign a race for a character concept

Human, because it's fluff-generic and mechanically powerful.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Human, because it's fluff-generic and mechanically powerful.
    I should add i am trying toa void defalt races as the party is 3 humans and an elf so far

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You can either go for a Kitsune to keep the animal aspect of your initial thought, or if you want more options check with your DM if he will let you play a Skinwalker. Both of them can fulfill your needs.

Also, Humans suck mechanically. They have nothing but an extra feat which most of the times has to be something generic, and 1 extra skill point so if you play fighter you can also have Knowledge (Engineering) with ranks...
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have mentioned Skinwalker, but the GM is also really against that idea as "without saying to much, the skinchanger race is important to the storyline and playing one wont really be compatible"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. So you want to avoid core races? That's fine; we'll rule out the usual suspects. Let me see if I can fluff some of the less-than-common races for you.

• Native Outsider races: This could be just what you're looking for. Let's face it, if I wanted to experiment on someone, I'd go with "almost human, but X," and in this case, X is "infused with the cosmic power of the outer planes." I don't think any of them are particularly ideally suited to the Mutagen Alchemist, although as noted, Tiefling is a solid choice, with Oni-Spawn making him more melee-vicious.
    • Dhampir: These guys are the most "alive" undead you can find. I mean, that's the perfect test subject - if he dies in the experiment, who could even tell the difference? Which could explain why he was left for dead. Bonus point, they have a nice favored class option for Mutagen Alchemists.
    • Drow: Everyone hates them, so nobody would complain if you abducted one right off of the street in broad daylight to perform experiments on him. Same favored class option as Dhampir.
    • Goblin/Hobgoblin/Kobold/Orc: Disliked, like Drow, so that's easy. Note that really only two of them offer advantages to you - Hobgoblin has two physical bonuses and no penalties, which is nice, and Orc gets the same favored class option as Dhampir, which suits you. (And it's not hard to call one a smarter-than-average Orc. Note that the Int penalty still hurts an Alchemist.)
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!