Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Erfworld 51

1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 51

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Get it?
    Most definitely.

I hesitate from rushing fully to that theory because Parson's Klog said that Ansom had grouped his forces into flying and land units....mostly.

That "mostly" seems to be enough to prevent Stanley from launching a flying assault on the land column.

I wonder, though, if a flying unit traveling on the land might appear to be a land unit enough to sucker Ansom into sending the few fliers he has with that column to deal with it only to have them anni anhi anneh wiped out as the Dwagons take to the air.

That's not strictly a 'sploit, but it could work, assuming that Ansom is as reckless as he seems to be.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Parson's klog also stated that BOTH groups were too strong to ambush.

Even if Parson DOES manage to "salvage" "the little battle" with a huge victory, I'm sure it'll just be one little battle in a big big war. He is outnumbered 25 to 1, after all. Then again, it's the little things that make a difference, sometimes.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiamatRoar View Post

Even if Parson DOES manage to "salvage" "the little battle" with a huge victory, I'm sure it'll just be one little battle in a big big war. He is outnumbered 25 to 1, after all. Then again, it's the little things that make a difference, sometimes.
    I'm surmising here that the reason they're both too strong to ambush is because the one with fewer air assets (and I'm making an educated guess that there's one with mostly flying units and one with mostly land units) has just enough air assets to ward off a flying assault with assistance from ground units.

If Parson could split that column by drawing off the air assets, then he'd have two columns, each of which wouldn't be too strong to ambush. I have an idea how that might could be done, but it's by no means the only way.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiamatRoar View Post
    He may have revised his opinion of that after he came up with whatever idea he's currently working on....

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm pretty sure his opinion is the same, but what he meant was that both groups were too strong to attack DIRECTLY. Obviously whatever he's come up with is more fiendish than a simple direct ambush.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

Parson needs to find out how to do 1.5 in 1. Misty is the best help he can possibly get. If it's possible Misty will find the solution.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

They had air superiority before and could have taken Ansom's "air-force" but thats why he ordered the Archeons. With them it's probably too close to call or they really are more powerful now.
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

History: In Middle-Ages, when the King of Saxony (now part of present day Germany) found out that the porcelin dishes made in his kingdom was increadibly valuable and made by 1 man, he imprisoned that man and forced him to make dishes for him from prison. As such the King got all the profits from it.

Theory: I believe this is something similar. The Mancers that run that table are chained to that table to prevent them from leaving, because otherwise they would run away and never return at the first opportunity. And Stanley will leave them there until they die and simply replace them with someone else without caring one bit. They've been dehumanized (or de-erfed) to the point of submission by being called their job title (aka, "this is all you're worth"). Someone like Parson, simply by calling people by their names, can lead a revolution that even Ansom can't fathom.

Props to Parson.
    My Freelance Writing Page
    Check out the Free Planet for Traveller in Signs and Portents 64
    No Hamster Can Stop Me -Prince Ansom
    D McCoy 1693

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy1693 View Post
    History: In Middle-Ages, when the King of Saxony (now part of present day Germany) found out that the porcelin dishes made in his kingdom was increadibly valuable and made by 1 man, he imprisoned that man and forced him to make dishes for him from prison. As such the King got all the profits from it.

Theory: I believe this is something similar. The Mancers that run that table are chained to that table to prevent them from leaving, because otherwise they would run away and never return at the first opportunity. And Stanley will leave them there until they die and simply replace them with someone else without caring one bit. They've been dehumanized (or de-erfed) to the point of submission by being called their job title (aka, "this is all you're worth"). Someone like Parson, simply by calling people by their names, can lead a revolution that even Ansom can't fathom.

Props to Parson.
    It's possible that any action, no matter how small, might eventually lead to something very big. The first page of the entire strip kind of suggests that.

However, I'm trying to hold to the idea that if Parson himself would champion any revolution type thing in Erfworld in any way other than accidentally, that the summon warlord spell would've rejected him in favor of someone almost exactly the same but slightly more evil/selfish/apathetic/not-revolution-inspiring.
    might just play the wall with this mean look on my grill
    act like i'm the hater that hates you from hateville
    -
    Though I may not appear to be an actual hater, I assure you, my quiet hate for the stupid is very real, and I do have both authentic hater cred and a ballpeen hammer."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay so I donno if it's be addressed entirely but here's my view on Misty's Croaked/uncroaked status.

Definatly uncroaked. Now to go over the reasons why I beleive this to be so.
    1. "Was called "Misty"" - if you're uncroaked then you might abandon your name, seems more likely to me than simply not using your name anymore.
    2. White hair and gaunt figure - either she's starving and soon to be uncroaked or she already is.. and white hair is steriotypically undead-ish
    3. Vinnie - That's right, I think he's uncroaked too. See what if there are more than one kind of uncroaked, Vinnie is the vampire kind, Wanda creates the Zombie kind (ie. Misty wasn't raised by Wanda), perhaps she is just another variation.
    4. Umm, because she struck me as such on the first look - I know, not a good argument, but hey they always say "Go with your intuition".

Anyway, that's my thoughts
    My Town Characters
    Spoiler
    Show
    Distress, Priest, and Osnagard Valhoulfnic

(Osnagard (original) and Dranas pictured)

Master of the PC Slaying Arts

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Assuming that Stanley got what he asked for (and all indications are that he did), the spell chose Parson in part because Parson would NOT lead a revolution against him (Stanley requested that the person not be "a morale case")

Quote Originally Posted by Osnagard View Post
    Okay so I donno if it's be addressed entirely but here's my view on Misty's Croaked/uncroaked status.

Definatly uncroaked. Now to go over the reasons why I beleive this to be so.
    1. "Was called "Misty"" - if you're uncroaked then you might abandon your name, seems more likely to me than simply not using your name anymore.
    Manpower, Phat Sing, Leeroy Jenkins, and Ensign Toast kept their names despite being uncroaked.

2. White hair and gaunt figure - either she's starving and soon to be uncroaked or she already is.. and white hair is steriotypically undead-ish
    Manpower, Phat Sing, Leeroy Jenkins, and Ensign Toast don't have either white hair or gaunt figures. In fact, they're all pretty darn plump, all things considered (cept Ensign Toast, but that's because he's a skeleton!). In regards to the hair... well, most of them are bald, actually, but that's still loads different from what Misty's hair is (and Phat Sing's hair kept its color). In fact, if you go back and look at them, the difference between the way they look and the way Misty looks is HUGE.

3. Vinnie - That's right, I think he's uncroaked too. See what if there are more than one kind of uncroaked, Vinnie is the vampire kind, Wanda creates the Zombie kind (ie. Misty wasn't raised by Wanda), perhaps she is just another variation.
    Half vampire. Although not stated, the artwork has emphasized this on several occassions. And he has yet to be referred to as an uncroaked, so this is complete 100% speculation (how the heck do you get half uncroaked, anyways?)

4. Umm, because she struck me as such on the first look - I know, not a good argument, but hey they always say "Go with your intuition".

Anyway, that's my thoughts
    I don't think the authors care much for intuition. They've already stated on the forums that a large part of Erfworld was that things were in shades of ambiguous grey.
    Last edited by TiamatRoar; 2007-05-03 at 10:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by benthehater View Post
    It's possible that any action, no matter how small, might eventually lead to something very big. The first page of the entire strip kind of suggests that.

However, I'm trying to hold to the idea that if Parson himself would champion any revolution type thing in Erfworld in any way other than accidentally, that the summon warlord spell would've rejected him in favor of someone almost exactly the same but slightly more evil/selfish/apathetic/not-revolution-inspiring.
    I don't know. That's a good question. I don't remember Stanley saying 'the perfect warlord for me,' but just 'the perfect Warlord.' Unless Stanley said something like 'perfect to serve under me' then there may eventually be a problem. I'm going to read again.

Being leaderly, inspirational, insightful, considerate of your units, etc, are excellent qualities in both a warlord and in a rebel leader, and successful would only add to that.

The eventual rebel leader idea attracts me for a few reasons, not the least of which is what the pizza stain by Parson's right shoulder looks like, when viewed upside down.

And parsons are minor moral leaders, frequently, historically, ... he comes from a line of parsons [his granddad's name as well]

Hmmmm.
    Last edited by Fineous Orlon; 2007-05-04 at 12:30 AM. Reason: added a few quotes to clarify
    Of course RAW exists. Helpful or exact is not guaranteed.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fineous Orlon View Post
    I don't know. That's a good question. I don't remember Stanley saying the perfect warlord for me, but just the perfect Warlord.
    Actually, that's exactly what he said, though not in so many words. Stanley specified exactly the warlord he wanted in Page 17 and that's what he got.

Here's what Stanley wanted:
    - Someone who's commanded a variety of battles.
    - Someone who is obsessed with fighting battles, who "plans war and kills his foes for fun"
    - Someone who "snacks on Gwiffons and eats Marbits for BREAKFAST".
    - Someone who "wants to be summoned"
    - Someone who speaks the common language, breathes air, and for whom Erfworld is familiar enough not to completely freak him out.

He relents on the physical requirements, stating only that he be "big".

You must admit, Parson fits every one of those requirements exactly.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by JazzManJim View Post
    Actually, that's exactly what he said, though not in so many words. Stanley specified exactly the warlord he wanted in Page 17 and that's what he got.

Here's what Stanley wanted:
    - Someone who's commanded a variety of battles.
    - Someone who is obsessed with fighting battles, who "plans war and kills his foes for fun"
    - Someone who "snacks on Gwiffons and eats Marbits for BREAKFAST".
    - Someone who "wants to be summoned"
    - Someone who speaks the common language, breathes air, and for whom Erfworld is familiar enough not to completely freak him out.

He relents on the physical requirements, stating only that he be "big".

You must admit, Parson fits every one of those requirements exactly.
    I got ya, but I meant 'perfect for Stanley' in that the subject would never undermine him, etc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In fact, a perfect warlord WOULD undermine Stanley if there is free will in Erfworld, practically just by existing on his side. Stanley is a multi-tool just like a Leatherman, just not as useful. Many on his side might be wishing for someone else, or might respond positively to someone else of ability, in a way that is ultimately detrimental to Stanley. Stanley wouldn't actually want THAT, and wouldn't consider that 'perfect.'.

It would be funny if Parson came to inhabit the office he named so sarcastically, and funny/ interesting if Parson was so much more preferable than Stanley, given Parson's view of himself in his native world.
    Last edited by Fineous Orlon; 2007-05-04 at 12:40 AM. Reason: tag
    Of course RAW exists. Helpful or exact is not guaranteed.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Knight View Post
    Yeah, about that..

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone seems to think it's some evil caused by Stanley -- whether he's aware of it or not.. But I thought it was just the rules of ErfWorld.

Think about it -- in just about every strategy game there is, you have random trainable cannon fodder, and then you have 'hero characters'. Hero characters generally being unique in some way, sometimes with higher stats, special abilities, or some other thing that sets them apart from the regular squad. Most importantly, they always have NAMES.
    Then you have the nobodies, the random cannon fodder that you send to fight enemies, mine for resources, scout out areas, and so on, who have no identity beyond 'Guard' or 'Worker' or 'Lookamancer'.

In Parson's Klog, he mentioned how, apparently, created units just 'pop' into place, apparently with memories and backgrounds prewritten about their life before poppage. If this is true, it's not too far out there to imagine those units as having names before they became Lookamancers and Dirtomancers and things. Misty "was" Misty. Now she's just a Lookamancer.

... running along this same line, Wanda is probably a hero character -- a 'noble' if you will. She is, after all, highly unique among Croakamancers, knowing a great many spells and bits of knowledge beyond her chosen field. Likewise, it's pretty obvious that Ansom and Vinnie are hero characters, too -- they lead armies and look very distinctive.

Stanley is an interesting exception, of course. Ansom (well, Vinnie) says that he's not "noble". He's "common infantry". And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at Stanley and figure out that, not only does he look pretty generic and unassuming, but even the name 'Stanley' screams less "Dark Overlord" and more "Worthless Cannon Fodder". Stanley's not a hero character. He's a generic nobody who decided to BE a hero character. And he refused to let go of his name.

At any rate, I find these little wordly nuances rather fascinating. I'm interested to see what else crops up.

... wow, that was quite a bit for one little Spoiler tag, huh?
    For the record, I agree with what Death Knight (Kobold) thinks. I actually came on here to say I feel for Misty the Lookamancer somewhat, even if that's just what Lookamancers looks like.
    --

Meta Knight avatar courtesy of Connor DarkDart.