New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default "Stand back, boy, and let me show you war!" (3.5 class, PEACH)

"You who came here seeking glory and fame,
    Who wish to fly through the air on wings of fire,
    You who seek to hold your blade up high,
    And catch the sun in its morning glow,

Leave this place and ne'er return,
    'Til you set aside that hope,
    For there is glory in might and magic,
    And there is none in the warrior's path,

He is not a warrior who knows not pain,
    Who sets the sky ablaze with moment's thought,
    Or touches the foe with his blade,
    Just to destroy them with his might,

Was your sword broken a thousand times?
    Or did you bury it in a man's skull?
    Did you feel each living thing die?
    Or did you wonder if you were next?

No, your sword sits with you yet,
    And you but touch your foes,
    Use that blade to extend the grasp,
    Of the magic you claim is skill.

There is no glory in war,
    Know that, and pass these gates,
    And though many of you will die,
    You will die the best you can."

- Inscription above the Hall of Heroes.

It is difficult to be a warrior in times of magic. Many therefore turn to so-called "Martial magic", while others simply call upon arcane powers to become a powerful warrior directly. Almost all pick up some form of magical item at some point in their adventuring career.

Others refuse.

Veterans are the ones who eschew magical power in favour of their own martial prowess. It is a thankless task, but the veteran takes it up not with enthusiasm but with grim determination, with the knowledge that they might be the next to die. But one thing's for certain: they're not going out without a fight.

Adventures: Veterans seek neither gold nor glory, only a chance to show those enrobed sissies where the true power lies. That said, they are as likely as anyone else to go on a mission to save the world, or for other ends specific to their alignment.

Characteristics: Veterans are the last word in mundane warriors. They give up their ability not only to use magic, but to accept it from anyone else, and instead use this inner conviction that they attain therefrom to perform feats of supreme badassery. This means that, much like a wizard or cleric, they can perform almost any role; like a fighter, they can fulfill their role without resorting to magic.

Alignment: Any. Lawful veterans tend to have a rigourous conviction, while chaotic veterans instead have an erratic zeal and neutral ones a dispassionate resolve. Either way, the result is much the same.

Religion: Veterans tend to shun divine might much as they shun arcane might. They usually worship no deities, though any deity who resolves to use their magic as little as possible might earn a veteran's respect.

Background: Veterans are usually the result of tragic experiences and grim determination. Despite the name, veterans don't need experience of any long-winded wars.

Races: Veterans tend to be humans - quick learners at the worst of times - elves (who have had an eternity to master the ways of war, or dwarves, who are still convinced that the old-fashioned method of fighting ("Hit it with a hammer") is the best. Raptorans are also fairly common, as they don't know what all this fuss surrounding magical flight is about.

Other Classes: While fiercely competitive with spellcasters and forbidden from accepting their direct aid, veterans haven't really any enmity towards them. Other martial classes tend to respect the veteran's devotion, though wonder if eschewing all magic isn't a little mad.

Role: Everything. Veterans have the versatility of a wizard or cleric.

Adaptation: A veteran in a technologically-advanced setting could be a traditionalist who gives up modern technology instead of, or as well as, magic, refusing to operate anything much more complicated than a musket or a bicycle in design.

The Veteran
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    Overcome Wounds
    1st +1 +2 +2 +2 Veteran Trick, Shrug Off, Resilience, Righteous Desperation, Trained for War
    2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 Veteran Trick
    3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 Veteran Trick
    4th +4 +4 +4 +4 Veteran Trick
    5th +5 +4 +4 +4 Veteran Trick
    6th +6/+1 +5 +5 +5 Veteran Trick
    7th +7/+2 +5 +5 +5 Veteran Trick
    8th +8/+3 +6 +6 +6 Veteran Trick
    9th +9/+4 +6 +6 +6 Veteran Trick
    10th +10/+5 +7 +7 +7 Veteran Trick
    11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +7 +7 Veteran Trick
    12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +8 +8 Veteran Trick
    13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +8 +8 Veteran Trick
    14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +9 +9 Veteran Trick
    15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +9 +9 Veteran Trick
    16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +10 +10 Veteran Trick
    17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +10 Veteran Trick
    18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +11 +11 Veteran Trick
    19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +11 +11 Veteran Trick
    20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +12 +12 Veteran Trick
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills:
    All class skills except for Truespeak (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha) and Use Psionic Device (Cha) are class skills of the veteran. Veterans' power comes from their conviction, and part of that is their vow never to use magic.
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
    Veterans are proficient with every type of weapon, armour or shield ever to come to be.

Veteran Trick (Ex)
    At each level, a veteran gains veteran tricks. The veteran gains 1 veteran trick per level up to and including fourth, two per level for the next four, and so forth. Veteran tricks are detailed in their own section.

Trained for War
    The veteran's veteran levels and fighter levels stack to determine effective fighter level (but not effective veteran level).

Shrug Off
    Veterans can Shrug Off abilities which would hinder, incapacitate or even kill lesser beings. Shrugging Off an ability does not take an action any more than choosing a target to attack does; it is simply a thing that one does, or one does not.

A veteran who Shrugs Off an effect ignores it. It does not affect the veteran at all, even if it affects an area (irrespective of, for example, whether or not the veteran enters, leaves, and then re-enters an area). However, it still affects other people: the effect is still there, unlike with more magical means of removing an effect such as Dispel Magic or Iron Heart Surge. The source of the effect may still be there, even if the effect itself isn't (for example, a windstorm is still there even if the veteran isn't checked by it, and will automatically check the veteran again next round). Similarly, a veteran can't Shrug Off death by hit point damage, as the veteran would simply die again immedately. This makes the many effects on the table below unlikely at best to come up but they are included for completeness.

The veteran may Shrug Off an effect in progress, or even one which hasn't taken effect yet (for example, a veteran could Shrug Off a spell's effect upon being struck by it, ignoring it, even if that veteran wasn't aware of the spell until it dealt its effects). Veterans incapable of experiencing the world, such as those who are Dead, Petrified or Unconscious, can't Shrug Off effects. Those who are merely distracted, incapable of acting, or suffering sensory impairment (such as those who are Fascinated, Stunned or simultaneously Blinded and Deafened) can still Shrug Off further effects.

However, Shrugging Off an effect costs hit points. These hit points are dependent on the severity of the effect being Shrugged Off. Further, if the effect is permanent (except for spell effects and effects which are always or usually permanent), triple the number of hit points needed to remove it. A veteran can't Shrug Off an effect if doing so would kill the veteran. Use the following table to determine the hit point cost:

Effect Cost
    Ability Damaged 5/point
    Ability Drained/Burned 15/point
    Blinded 10
    Blown Away* 20
    Checked 10
    Confused 10
    Dazed 10
    Dazzled 2
    Dead* 50
    Deafened 10
    Disabled 20
    Dying 30
    Energy Drained 10/level
    Entangled 10
    Grappling* 5
    Knocked Down* 15
    Paralysed 20
    Petrified 30
    Pinned* 5
    Prone* 5
    Spell Lv 0** 3
    Spell Lv 1** 6
    Spell Lv 2** 13
    Spell Lv 3** 21
    Spell Lv 4** 30
    Spell Lv 5** 40
    Spell Lv 6** 51
    Spell Lv 7** 63
    Spell Lv 8** 76
    Spell Lv 9** 90
    Spell Level 10th** 100
    Spell Level 11th*** 111
    Spell Level 12th*** 123
    Spell Level 13th*** 136
    Stable 20
    Staggered 20
    Stunned* 20
    Unconscious As stable/dying
    *These effects can only be Shrugged Off before they take effect, due to one of three reasons: One, that they less are conditions and more cause them, two, that once the ability takes hold the veteran won't be able to Shrug them Off, or three, because simply being hard enough to prevent yourself falling down is one thing; being hard enough to go from being on the ground to on your feet in no time at all is another.
    **This also covers (Sp) and (Ps) abilities, powers, and martial maneuvers.
    ***As **, and also these abilities tend not to exist, but a few classes such as the Worldspeaker have them. To find any spell level higher than 13th, add the new spell level to the previous number (for example, the 13th level value is calculated by adding 13 to the 12th level value).

Resilience (Ex)
    Veterans are tougher than tough. They reduce any lethal or nonlethal damage they take by 1 per level. This powerful effect will simply negate damage of any type, even special damage such as vile damage. If the damage dealt by an ability is of multiple types, the veteran can choose which type of damage to ignore, or some of each (for example, a fireball with energy admixture (cold) deals both fire and cold damage. A veteran of 4th level could ignore 3 cold and 1 fire damage, not that it's likely to matter). Even untyped damage can be prevented in this way, but some damage results directly from divine power and can't be prevented by any means. That doesn't stop a veteran from reducing any accompanying damage of other types.

Righteous Desperation (Ex)
    "Watch me draw a line in the sand. Watch me make my final stand. For I know the ways of war, and I will never stop until my last breath; that is the path we tread."

Veterans are masters of improvisation, of getting by, of making do with what they have, and this stems from their conviction, their vow never to use magic. Such is the way of the veteran.

A veteran who looks about for an improvised weapon to use can as a standard action take a search check whose DC is equal to the price of the item in gold pieces. Passing this check means the Veteran finds (and can pick up as part of the check) an improvised weapon of the type for which the veteran is looking. Veterans never take a penalty for wielding an improvised weapon, although the improvised weapons found in this way are usually fragile, and break within a number of uses equal to 10, plus the number by which the search check DC was beaten.

Veterans might easily not be able to find anything they can fashion into a weapon of the correct type, but unless they are in a barren plain they can probably find something vaguely weapon-shaped.

Similarly, a veteran can find objects which function as tools, shields, and so forth in a similar manner. Again, they will break after the same number of uses as the weapon might and the veteran gets no penalty for using them.

Further, a veteran is immune to fear, sickness and tiredness effects (such as shaken, frightened, terrified, cowering, sickened, nauseated, fatigued and exhausted).

However, the veteran's guile and wit, their devotion and their motivation, all stem from the meaningfulness of the vow: the veteran cannot deliberately and knowingly use magic, psionics, martial strikes or stances, supernatural abilities, or magic or psionic items. They cannot accept direct magical or psionic aid to their person (Fireballing their foes doesn't count), and must take any save against that aid that is given to them. They are encouraged to shun those who repeatedly give them unwanted aid of this nature, and preferably all magic, but this is not actually required and veterans don't bear any particular enmity towards spellcasters, psionicists or initiators.

A veteran who breaks this vow feels mentally shattered by the transgression, and loses the conviction that fuels veteran abilities (other than class skills, proficiency, and hit dice). These other abilities are regained at a rate of one level per day by adventuring normally as a glorified warrior ("Normally" is subjective, but no attempt should be made to avoid combat beyond the usual measure). For example, an eighth-level veteran who breaks the vow can use a single veteran trick after one day of adventuring, and seven after six days of adventuring. These days don't need to be consecutive. New veteran tricks can be selected in this way, though it would have been faster to relearn them normally!

A creature who gets the vow from somewhere else other than a class loses all class abilities if they break the vow, and needs to recover them in the same way. Creatures such as factotums who steal the ability are only affected by breaking the vow for the duration of the ability that copies it.

Overcome Wounds (Ex)
    A veteran of at least 6th level is very hard to kill, and no wound inflicted on them hinders them long. They gain fast healing as given on Table: The Veteran.

Learning Veteran Tricks
    "You learn a lot of things. You do a lot of things. Then you forget a lot of things, and learn new ones."

Learning a veteran trick works essentially exactly the same as learning a feat; indeed, they work in nearly the exact same way as feats, they just can't be taken as actual feats. You learn them when you gain the relevant level, and then retain them for use later.

The main difference is that it's a lot easier for a veteran to pick up new tricks. Indeed, once per day a veteran can simply pick up a trick that is useful in the current situation. However, he must choose and discard a previous veteran trick to do this. A veteran can do this once more per day for each four levels after first: at high levels, a veteran can near-constantly be learning on-the-spot to handle almost anything as and when it comes up.

Most veteran tricks can only be taken once.

Veteran tricks are listed here.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-10-24 at 06:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: "Stand back, boy, and let me show you war!" (3.5 class, PEACH)

First off, this is pretty great I think. I am going to see if my gm lets me use this.
    How about a talent that can grant natural armor, flluffed around how they have seen war and bear its scars and their flesh has grown accustomed to the beatings.
    Or Awesome blow, requiring Wallcrash, that would be fun.
    Or spell resistance, they refuse magic so much that it just stops working on them.(edit: and power resist too)

That's all I've got for the moment, but i will try to keep up with it and think of more.
    Last edited by nikkoli; 2015-07-17 at 05:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Notice that Shrug Off + Veteran Trick + skill & gear galore make this class extremely dippy for noncasters.
    In what kind of settings (i.e. which other classes) do you intend to incorporate your Veteran class?

How does a veteran function in situations that require teleportation, flight, restoration, revival, de-petrifaction etc?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

This looks awesome. Suggestion: some Trick that lets them jump, climb, or otherwise maneuver themselves upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    How does a veteran function in situations that require teleportation, flight, restoration, revival, de-petrifaction etc?
    In order: what situation needs you to teleport that can't be accomplished by walking? Or sprinting, as the case may be.
    Depending on the situation, Wingclipping fliers, or jumping.
    Healing Hands for hitpoint damage, poison and disease. Advice to find someone who cares about stupid things like reprogramming reality with their minds, since clearly that's how you got into this mess in other cases.
    Disdainful muttering about what a waste of human/elven/dwarven etc. life.
    Pointing and telling the nerd to do his hand-wavey mumbo-jumbo.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Nikkoli:

Scars of War
    Your skin is tough enough to withstand a beating
    Prerequisites: None.
    Benefit: You gain a natural armour bonus to armour class equal to 1, plus 1 per 3 veteran levels.

Unbound Feat
    Alas, poor epic fighter.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 11th.
    Benefit: You can take any feat, even if you don't qualify for it. You can even take epic feats with this trick.
    Special: You can take this trick more than once.

Magic Resistance
    You have started to resist the magic of your enemies
    Benefit: You gain SR and PR 6+level, or increase your current SR and PR by 5.
    Special: This talent can be taken more than once. Its effects stack.

Nonsi:

I imagine that "You cannot accept magical aid or use magical items or you fall" bit would discourage dipping. Because veteran without magic items is better than fighter without magic items, there's no point taking veteran levels if you aren't going to take nothing but veteran levels.

I figured that veteran could show up in nearly any "Magic is supreme" setting short of the Tippyverse (where they inevitably get their butts handed to them because, uh, it's the Tippyverse). Basically anything where the fighter kinda gives up around 10th level because nothing he can do can actually help the party, and everyone's running around with magic/psionics/martial magic/vestiges/whatever if they actually want to do something useful.

Find Rift
    When mages teleport, they leave behind a small tunnel in space called a "Rift." To enter it accidentally is nigh-impossible, and even doing it deliberately requires much skill.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 9th
    Benefit: A veteran can take a knowledge (The planes) check to see whether or not there are any known rifts between the veteran's location and a specific other location. Beating a DC of 30 finds the best, which is about (3d6-3) miles away (0 to 15) from both the start and end locations. Beating a DC of 25 finds the second best, which is about 5d6 miles away at one end (5 to 30) and 3d6-3 from the other. A DC of 20 finds one which is about 5d6 miles away at each end. Beating a DC of 15 finds some rift or other within 10d6 miles (10 to 60) at one end and 5d6 at the other, and a DC of 10 finds a rift which is about 10d6 miles away at each end.

When a rift is found, a veteran can move through it through bodily contortions specific to that rift. This takes one minute to achieve. A veteran who knows the rift's location at this end knows its location at the other end.

A veteran can instruct another creature on how to pass through the rift, but doing so takes five minutes as the veteran painstakingly instructs the other creature on exactly how to move their body.

Interrupting a creature who is trying to move through a rift disorientates them a little and they must start anew, but has no appreciable negative effects.
    Special: Rifts are nonmagical and can't be detected magically, except perhaps by epic magic. A rift is usually the effect of planar movement, but sometimes due to repeated teleporting. Either way, a veteran doesn't lose conviction for using one unless a wizard or wizards deliberately teleport until they create a rift.

I don't really like that one, though. It's starting to feel too much like an excuse to be magical.

Craft Flying Machine
    You know how to create a simple machine that allows you to fly by body power.
    Prerequisites: Craft 8 ranks.
    Benefit: With a DC 25 craft check, you can create a flying machine. This consists of a large fixed-wing glider combined with a nonfixed-wing propeller connected to pedals that are used to operate the thing. You can direct the glider with one hand to move with clumsy maneuverability, with two to move at poor maneuverability, or with none to move straight forwards. Either way, you can move up to 30 feet per round as a move action. You can't charge, run or dive. Operating a flying machine requires a DC 10 strength check each round, or the machine falls 30 feet (as well as moving in the intended direction) as you lose control of it.

A flying machine can be collapsed or unfolded in 3 rounds, so that it can be carried easily when not in use.
    Special: There's no reason another creature couldn't operate the machine. A flying machine costs 500 GP and weighs 20 lb. Flying machines require a large number of pre-built parts and only actually take 1/5 of the normal time to craft.

Retired veterans tend to become mad inventors.

Not on My Watch
    Veterans are responsible for everyone not dying, and they take that responsibility seriously.
    Prerequisites: Heal 12 ranks, Healing Hands
    Benefit: You are so good at healing that you can heal them after anyone else would pronounce them dead. For 6 hours after someone has obtained the Dead condition, you can use your Healing Hands ability to restore them above -10 hit points, after which they are no longer Dead.

The_Final_Stand: Yeah, sometimes you're not gonna have the answer. But, oh well? Wizards can't resurrect people either. So I basically agree with you. Anyway, have a new flying ability.

Craft Masterwork Flying Machine
    You can make a superior flying machine.
    Prerequisites: Craft Flying Machine, Craft 10 ranks.
    Benefit: You can craft masterwork components for flying machines just as you might for weapons. When you construct a masterwork flying machine, it increases the user's strength check result by 2 just like any other masterwork tool, but also increases the speed to 45 feet and the maneuverability by 1 step. They can be collapsed or unfolded in just 2 rounds.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I like the looks and feel of this class. though are there possible tricks that may be able to be incorporated in a sci-fi meets magic type world?
    Last edited by cavalieredraghi; 2015-07-19 at 11:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    I like the looks and feel of this class. though are there possible tricks that may be able to be incorporated in a sci-fi meets magic type world?
    I've added a fluff section at the beginning.

Also, I need an extra post to fit all these tricks in, which I'll post in a moment.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

List of Veteran Tricks

Last Man Standing by Zac K
    "I know how to lead a hundred men, or to stand on my own when all is lost, or to sneak through an abandoned house or to kill a man half a mile away, or to make or break a trap or to leap from a roof without harm. What do you know? How to wave your hands about and make magic."

The following are the veteran tricks available to a veteran. Note that if the veteran is being used in the Pathfinder roleplaying system, all skill requirements should be reduced by 3.

Always Strike First
    You are lightning fast, and none can match your speed.
    Prerequisites: None
    Benefit: You can't be surprised; if there's a surprise round, you can always act in it. You always go first in the initiative order.
    Special: Two or more veterans with this trick roll normally to determine which acts first, but all act before anyone else in the combat.

Animal Companion
    You acquire an unusually powerful animal who is fiercely loyal to you.
    Benefit: This trick works just like the druid class feature of the same name, except that the veteran can't share spells with it and it only takes 3 hours' searching for a new animal to find such a creature.
    Special: You can take this trick more than once. Its effects do not stack normally. Instead, the veteran's effective level for the animal companion is increased by 3. If the rules in the Epic Level Handbook are not in play, this trick can be taken no more than 6 times (at which point a companion from the level - 15 list treats the veteran as being of whatever level the veteran actually is).

Armour Master
    You are adept at moving about even fully armoured
    Benefit: You take no penalties for wearing armour or using a shield. For example, you don't take an armour check penalty and you can run at full speed.
    Special: This doesn't protect you against curses, or breaking your vow. A shield, of course, still takes up the hand that holds it as normal.

Battlesense
    You have an instinctive awareness of everything about you.
    Benefit: You have blindsight out to 30 feet.
    Special: This trick can be taken multiple times; the range of the blindsight stacks.

Bonus Feats
    Alas, poor fighter.
    Benefit: You choose three feats for which you qualify and gain their benefits, including being able to use them as prerequisites. You must qualify for them normally.
    Special: You can take this trick more than once. You can use multiple instances, or even a single instance, of the trick to take the same feat more than once, if you could do so normally.

Brewmaster
    You can create even more special items.
    Prerequisites: Herbalist, Craft (Alchemy) 8 ranks.
    Benefit: You can create additional powerful items. You also get a +10 bonus on craft (Alchemy) checks.

Envoy Firework: DC 30 to make. An envoy firework can be used as a weapon, dealing just 2d6 fire damage and 2d6 bludgeoning damage on impact if it even hits a creature in the first instance, but that's not really the point. Envoy fireworks are packed with explosive of high enough quality to send them either a steady 4 miles/level, or you can create a more risky explosive that will send the firework up to 2d6 miles/level. Either way, the envoy firework takes 10 minutes to reach its destination, and can send anything that can fit in the small compartment inside it - this usually entails something of the calibre of a small book, or a dagger, some deadly poison, and a note. The envoy firework isn't in condition to send back.

Of course, the decent damage and long range make an envoy firework a possible long-ranged artillery weapon, especially if you put something more dangerous (such as some explosives on a 10 minute and 6 second timer) inside. That's your call.
    Explosives: DC 30 to make each set. Explosives can be linked together and linked to the user by a fuse cord, allowing them to be detonated from a safe location and all at once. Alternatively, they can be put on a timer.

When detonated, explosives deal 1d6 damage per level, half fire and half force, within 60 feet.
    Poison Gas Grenade: DC 30 to make. Fired just like exploding potion. Fort against 1d6 str 1d6 con/1 str 1 con.
    Stun Grenade: DC 25 to make. Fired just like exploding potion, those in 20 feet take 1 sonic/level, fort vs deafened 1 minute/level, reflex vs blinded 1 minute/level, on both failed stunned 1 round/level.

Champion of the Common Man
    You are an inspiration to the people, and they are always ready to fight for you.
    Benefit: You can enlist the service of those commoners with the same number or fewer hit dice than you to fight for your cause. You can enlist a number of commoners whose total hit dice are not double yours. A commoner enlisted in this way retrains all their commoner levels as warrior levels. They also gain the righteous desperation class feature, and breaking their vow removes their newfound warrior abilities and returns them to commonerhood, and they can't be enlisted in this way for one week if they do so. Either way, they regress back to being a commoner at a rate of one level per day if released from your command.

Enlisted creatures are treated as fanatical to you. If this isn't possible, they are treated as helpful and will also obey your commands much as though they were fanatical.

Combat Coup
    You can make coups de grace against opponents you're fighting.
    Benefit: You can Coup de Grace nonhelpless creatures, you can do so from up to 30 feet away, you can make Coups de Grace even against normally-immune foes, and making one doesn't take an attack of opportunity.
    Special: If the target is immune to critical hits, resolve the Coup de Grace anyway; it's just not a critical hit.

Combat Maneuver Master
    You are a legend at performing special attacks.
    Benefit: You gain the benefits of the following feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Improved Overrun, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple. You also get a +5 bonus on your attack roll to perform cleaves, bull rushes, sunders, overruns, disarms, trips, and grapples as well as +5 bonus to any additional rolls needed to perform any of these actions, or a feint, successfully.
    Special: You can use these feats as prerequisites, but you can't retrain them or use spells such as Embrace the Dark Chaos to remove them. An effect that would remove one of these feats, short of removing the veteran trick itself, fails.

Counterattack
    You can defend against enemies' attacks and strike back with your own.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 6th.
    Benefit: The veteran gains the ability to counter attacks. As an immediate action, the veteran prevents one attack that would be made against the veteran, and makes one against the would-be-assailant. This can be done from any range, but can only defend against attacks which must roll to hit.
    Special: A veteran can counter an attack regardless of ability or inability to attack back. If the veteran can't complete the counterattack, this doesn't stop an attack being prevented. Similarly, a veteran is under no obligation to attack even if capable of doing so.

Craft Flying Machine
    You know how to create a simple machine that allows you to fly by body power.
    Prerequisites: Craft 8 ranks.
    Benefit: With a DC 25 craft check, you can create a flying machine. This consists of a large fixed-wing glider combined with a nonfixed-wing propeller connected to pedals that are used to operate the thing. You can direct the glider with one hand to move with clumsy maneuverability, with two to move at poor maneuverability, or with none to move straight forwards. Either way, you can move up to 30 feet per round as a move action. You can't charge, run or dive. Operating a flying machine requires a DC 10 strength check each round, or the machine falls 30 feet (as well as moving in the intended direction) as you lose control of it.

A flying machine can be collapsed or unfolded in 3 rounds, so that it can be carried easily when not in use.
    Special: There's no reason another creature couldn't operate the machine. A flying machine costs 500 GP and weighs 20 lb. Flying machines require a large number of pre-built parts and only actually take 1/5 of the normal time to craft.

Craft Masterwork Flying Machine
    You can make a superior flying machine.
    Prerequisites: Craft Flying Machine, Craft 10 ranks.
    Benefit: You can craft masterwork components for flying machines just as you might for weapons. When you construct a masterwork flying machine, it increases the user's strength check result by 2 just like any other masterwork tool, but also increases the speed to 45 feet and the maneuverability by 1 step. They can be collapsed or unfolded in just 2 rounds.

Death Mark
    Your attacks mark enemies for death.
    Benefit: When you attack an enemy, if you hit, you mark them for death. Their armour class is reduced by 2 for each death mark they have (Death marks stack). A creature with one or more death marks is always a viable target for a sneak attack, but if they couldn't be sneak attacked anyway, the sneak attack is limited to one die per death mark on the creature.
    Special: A creature can remove a death mark with three rounds' rest.

Defender
    You can block attacks headed for your allies.
    Prerequisites: Counterattack, Sudden Movement
    Benefit: You can move suddenly and counter an attack as the same immediate action to block an attack that would have hit an ally. To do this, you must interpose yourself between the attacker and the target. The attack is then countered just as though it was aiming for you.

Disappearance
    You can disappear into thin air by distracting your foes and hiding.
    Prerequisites: Hide 8 ranks.
    Benefit: You can hide even while being observed. You can hide as a swift action. You can move while hidden.

Dominating Shout
    You can rattle a creature so badly that they follow your commands.
    Prerequisites: Intimidate 12 ranks.
    Benefit: You can intimidate creatures normally immune to fear, and creatures don't get morale bonuses against intimidation attempts by you. If you pass an intimidate check of any type by 10 or more, you rattle the creature so much that they live in fear of your wrath for one day per level. Their terrifying experience haunts every waking moment, and they are shaken for the duration, but it also makes them fiercely loyal to you. They will obey any command you give them, even if that command puts them in immediate danger.

A will save with a DC equal to the amount you passed by negates the effect.
    Special: You still can't intimidate mindless creatures, but you can intimidate those immune to mind-affecting abilities.

Escape Death
    You're very hard to kill.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 8th
    Benefit: If you're killed, you turn out not to have been dead and wake up 3d6 minutes later at 1 hit point (although your fast healing will quickly give you more). To all inspection, you are still dead for those minutes. If you die three times in a single 24-hour period, your body finally finally gives in and you don't get up.

Find Planar Rift
    Between any two planes that are connected, there are countless rifts that allow for one simply to walk through, though to do so by accident would be almost an achievement as they require very specific negotiation.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 13th, Find Rift
    Benefit: A veteran can take a knowledge (The planes) check to see whether or not there are any known planar rifts between the veteran's plane and a specific other plane. Beating a DC of 30 finds the closest, which is about (3d6-3) miles away (0 to 15). Beating a DC of 20 finds the second closest, which is about 5d6 miles away (5 to 30). Beating a DC of 10 finds some planar rift or other within 10d6 miles (10 to 60).

When a planar rift is found, a veteran can move through it through bodily contortions specific to that rift. This takes one minute to achieve, and planar rifts lead to a specific location on the other plane; a veteran who knows the rift's location on this plane knows its location on the other plane.

A veteran can instruct another creature on how to pass through the rift, but doing so takes five minutes as the veteran painstakingly instructs the other creature on exactly how to move their body.

Interrupting a creature who is trying to move through a rift disorientates them a little and they must start anew, but has no appreciable negative effects.
    Special: Planar rifts are nonmagical and can't be detected magically, except perhaps by epic magic. Even in demiplanes or dead magic planes, there are planar rifts. A planar rift is usually the effect of planar movement, but sometimes due to repeated plane shifting. Either way, a veteran doesn't lose conviction for using one unless a wizard or wizards deliberately plane shift until they create a planar rift.

Find Rift
    When mages teleport, they leave behind a small tunnel in space called a "Rift." To enter it accidentally is nigh-impossible, and even doing it deliberately requires much skill.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 9th
    Benefit: A veteran can take a knowledge (The planes) check to see whether or not there are any known rifts between the veteran's location and a specific other location. Beating a DC of 30 finds the best, which is about (3d6-3) miles away (0 to 15) from both the start and end locations. Beating a DC of 25 finds the second best, which is about 5d6 miles away at one end (5 to 30) and 3d6-3 from the other. A DC of 20 finds one which is about 5d6 miles away at each end. Beating a DC of 15 finds some rift or other within 10d6 miles (10 to 60) at one end and 5d6 at the other, and a DC of 10 finds a rift which is about 10d6 miles away at each end.

When a rift is found, a veteran can move through it through bodily contortions specific to that rift. This takes one minute to achieve. A veteran who knows the rift's location at this end knows its location at the other end.

Special: Rifts are nonmagical and can't be detected magically, except perhaps by epic magic. A rift is usually the effect of planar movement, but sometimes due to repeated teleporting. Either way, a veteran doesn't lose conviction for using one unless a wizard or wizards deliberately teleport until they create a rift.

Full Attacker
    You can make your full complement of attacks rapidly
    Benefit: You can make a full attack as a standard action, or as part of a charge. You can make a full attack twice as a full action.

Great Reach
    You can reach further than usual.
    Benefit: You can reach 5 feet further in each direction than normal - for example, a medium veteran with a greatsword can attack creatures 10 feet away or in the veteran's own square, while the same veteran with a glaive can attack creatures five to fifteen feet away.

You can also make any number of attacks of opportunity each round.

Headslam
    You are capable of making spellcasters forget some of their spells with a handy knock to the head.
    Benefit: A Headslam attack must be made as a full-round action, and you take a -5 penalty on the attack roll, but it ignores the wielder's armour (shields apply normally, and if the creature is wearing some kind of helmet it gives them a +2 armour bonus to armour class which is not ignored in this way). A Headslam that hits the target successfully is a critical hit. It also causes a spellcaster to lose some of their spells. A spellcaster who is Headslammed successfully loses 1d3 spells of each level they can cast; if they've run out of spells from a level they lose spells from the one below instead. Prepared casters lose random spells.

Any psionic creature who is Headslammed loses psionic focus. They also lose half their current psi points if they weren't focused, and one third if they were.

A creature who uses spell-like, psi-like or supernatural abilities (except supernatural maneuvers; see below instead) with some restriction on their use (including non-specific restrictions such as a Truenamer's Law of Resistance) is treated as having used each one a single time.

Martial Initiators who are Headslammed lose all their readied maneuvers. This doesn't stop them recovering them normally.
    Special: A Headslam works even if it doesn't deal any damage. That said, you can Headslam a creature just to deal normal critical hit damage (though the Combat Coup trick might be better for this). You can Headslam a creature with a ranged weapon, but only if they're within 30 feet.

Creatures immune to critical hits, and creatures who don't actually have heads to speak of, can still be Headslammed: in the former case it's not a critical hit. In the latter, you hit whichever part of their body does the thinking, or equivalent.

Healing Hands
    You are talented at healing creatures' wounds.
    Prerequisites: Heal 4 ranks.
    Benefit: You can, by spending a minute to heal a creature, restore hit points equal to the heal check result. You can also cure the effects of poison or disease by using your heal check in place of the fortitude save against the normal DC.
    Special: If you're interrupted or choose not to take a full minute, you instead heal 1/10 of the normal number of hit points for each round you spent healing. For example, a veteran who would heal 36 hit points but is interrupted after 2 rounds instead restores only 7. Because the instances are counted holistically, not separately, they are rounded down together, not individually.

Veterans can heal themselves like this.

Herbalist
    You can make some all-natural concoctions which aid the drinker... or explode, of course.
    Benefit: You can use Craft (Alchemy) despite not being a spellcaster. The results are always nonmagical. You can also craft some interesting items which others cannot, taking 10 minutes to achieve. The save DC against these effects is 10, plus half the veteran's level, plus the veteran's intelligence modifier.

Deadly Poison: DC 20 to make, injury or ingested, fort. vs death/4d6 con.
    Exploding Potion: DC 20 to make, when thrown (range incr. 10 ft) or used in sling/crossbow/ballista etc. explodes 40 feet, dealing 1d6/lv fire to target and 1/lv fire to others in area, sets everything flammable in area ablaze, fire spreads at 20 ft/round.
    Healing Salve: Restores 1d6 HP and 1 ability score per level. Permanent drain is removed by sacrificing 4 points of damage removal (so at level 8, can remove 3 CON damage 5 INT damage, or 1 STR drain 4 DEX damage, or 1 WIS drain 1 CHA drain, for example).
    Ignition Paste: DC 10 to make, burns for 1 minute/level when lit, on weapon adds 1d6 fire damage. Enough to cover 1 weapon or 50 ammo. Can also be used for anything else you might want 1 minute/level fire for (eg put it in a sling and throw the entire thing, sling and all, through someone's window?).
    Rage Brew: DC 15 to make. Imbiber rages as barbarian of own level; only effective 1/day per person.
    Sticky Paste: DC 10 to make. Very slightly sticky (like a post-it or old tape) until activated as standard action, then becomes very sticky; anyone who touches it is stuck to it. Loses its stick after 1 minute/level. Dealing it 10 points of fire damage destroys it. Can also be used to stick inanimate objects together, though the short duration might not make this the best idea.

Heroic Killing Blow
    You can kill anything you can hit.
    Prerequisites: Killing Blow
    Benefit: Any hit you make is automatically resolved as a successful coup de grace, even though it's not necessarily a critical hit.
    Special: Just like the coups de grace from combat coup, these coups de grace ignore critical immunity: the coup de grace is still resolved, it's just not a critical hit.

Horsemanship
    You are a skilled rider.
    Benefit: You gain the benefits of the following feats: Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge, Trample. In addition, when you charge an opponent while mounted, if you have remaining movement distance you keep going and can run them down with your mount, just as though the mount were trying to overrun them, and had the improved overrun feat, though it doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity and can't be knocked prone even if it fails. Further, the mount gains a special circumstance bonus equal to your strength modifier if you hit with your charge attack.

If your mount runs the foe down, you may then continue to move, and may continue to charge another target if there exists one who you can reach with your remaining move. You can, if you have enough movement, keep charging subsequent targets. You do not get to turn to charge a new target unless you had another way of turning during your charge.

Incorporeal Bane
    Your weapon cuts through even ghosts and spirits.
    Benefit: Your attacks function absolutely normally against incorporeal and even ethereal creatures, the force of your blow carrying through much like a force effect.
    Special: Your attacks are treated as force effects for anything related to incorporeality and etherealness.

Instant Identify
    You know what an item does just by looking at it.
    Benefit: You know what an item does just by looking at it. This includes its functions and how to activate them, its current hit point total, whether or not it is a cursed item, and anything else that is to do with an item's functionality, capabilities, or usage.
    Special: This doesn't just apply to items that you can pick up and use, but also to houses, bridges, castles, and so forth.

Iron Mind
    You are able to resist powerful spells of control.
    Benefit: You are simply immune to divinations, enchantments, illusions and telepathies. You do not show up in scrying spells.

Jump Master
    You are a master of jumping in all situations.
    Benefit: You can Slow Fall any distance just like a monk does. Even if there's nothing for you to grab, you only take half damage from a fall. You can jump while grappling if you take the "Move while grappling" option. You can try to escape the grapple once during your jump as a free action; if you do your opponent falls and you complete the jump rather than moving into an adjacent space.

Killing Blow
    You know how to score a deadly hit on a foe even in normal combat.
    Prerequisites: Combat Coup
    Benefit: Every critical hit you strike is automatically resolved as a successful coup de grace.
    Special: This is useless if your foe is immune to critical hits, even though Combat Coup works normally.

Leopard Sprint
    You can move at lightning speed for a short time
    Prerequisites: Sudden Movement
    Benefit: Once per minute, you can put on a massive burst of speed, moving 10 times your movement speed as a full-round action.
    Special: If you have the Run feat, you move 12 times as far instead. If you're wearing heavy armour (and don't have an ability such as Armour Mastery which negates the penalty for doing so) you move 8 times as fast instead. If both are the case, you just move 10 times as fast.

Loyal Companion
    You can obtain a companion on the field of war.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 6th.
    Benefit: You obtain the service of an unusually strong cohort to aid you on the field of war. This cohort works much like the one from the Leadership feat, with a few exceptions. First, the cohort cannot take levels in any class with the righteous desperation class feature. Second, the cohort acquires the righteous desperation class feature as though they had levels in such a class. Third, the cohort is always of the veteran's own level, and doesn't gain experience separately.

Master at Arms
    You can use any weapon proficiently
    Benefit: Whenever you are wielding two weapons, you can wield them as though you had any feat with the words "Two-weapon fighting" in them as long as you meet the non-feat prerequisites. Whenever you are wielding a non-reach melee weapon in two hands (whether it is two-handed or not) you gain the benefits of the Power Attack feat. Whenever you're wielding a reach weapon, you gain the benefits of the combat reflexes feat. Whenever you're wielding a weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, you gain the benefits of combat expertise (even if you don't meet the prerequisite) and improved shield bash. If you're unarmed, you gain the benefits of improved unarmed strike. If you have a ranged weapon, you gain the benefits of point blank shot. If you're wielding a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other, you gain the benefit of weapon finesse.
    Special: You are treated as having the benefit of the above feats for purposes of prerequisites, but any feat contingent on one of these feats is lost temporarily when you don't meet the correct conditions. For example, if you selected stunning fist using master at arms as the prerequisite, then you could not apply it to an attack with your left hand if you held a sword in your right.

Magic Resistance
    You have started to resist the magic of your enemies
    Benefit: You gain SR and PR 6+level, or increase your current SR and PR by 5.
    Special: This talent can be taken more than once. Its effects stack.

Martial Artist
    You are a powerful martial artist.
    Benefit: You gain the unarmed strike bonus and flurry of blows of the monk. You also get the monk's AC bonus.
    Special: These abilities function in as much armour as you like but not with a shield.

Master of Disguise
    You can change your disguise at a moment's notice.
    Benefit: You can disguise once per round as a free action. You get a +10 bonus on disguise checks.

Mortal Wound
    Your attacks are difficult to heal and impossible to resist.
    Benefit: Your attacks with any kind of weapon always do the full complement of damage, regardless of damage reduction, resistances, or any other clever way your opponent can think of to reduce the damage you deal. You can deal lethal or nonlethal damage entirely at your option, even if an opponent has a special ability such as regeneration which would normally stop you.

Any damage, lethal or nonlethal, that you deal should be tracked separately. This damage is impervious to magical healing and can only heal naturally or through other nonmagical action (including by the giving of long-term care).
    Special: There's nothing to stop you missing due to cover, concealment, or simply failing to beat your foe's AC.

Not on My Watch
    Veterans are responsible for everyone not dying, and they take that responsibility seriously.
    Prerequisites: Heal 12 ranks, Healing Hands
    Benefit: You are so good at healing that you can heal creatures after anyone else would pronounce them dead. For 6 hours after someone has obtained the Dead condition, you can use your Healing Hands ability to restore them above -10 hit points, after which they are no longer Dead.

Paragon
    You have more raw ability in one or more areas.
    Benefit: You gain a +4 perfection bonus divided as you wish between any number of ability scores.
    Special: You can take this trick more than once. Its effects stack.

Perfect Aim
    You can shoot past cover to strike foes you can barely see.
    Benefit: You ignore all cover and concealment with any type of attack you make.
    Special: Your opponent might still be invisible to you.

Resolute Shout
    Your shouts daze enemies who hear them.
    Benefit: As a standard action, you can unleash a Resolute Shout. An enemy who hears the Resolute Shout is stunned for 2 rounds. A fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + strength modifier) negates this effect.

Roy's Gambit
    You can bring an entire building crashing down on someone with sufficient application of force.
    Prerequisites: Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) 4 ranks.
    Benefit: When in a building, cave, or other structure (natural or artificial) with some covering analogous to a ceiling, you can take a Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (DC 15) check to identify d6+2 points in the structure which together support the ceiling. If you can cause an impact against each one of these points, you can cause the ceiling to collapse, resolved exactly as a cave-in. You must choose an area of the ceiling to collapse before rolling for where the structure points are. If you're in the area, you can rush to the edge of it as an immediate action, but if you do, you can't take actions at all next round (you may still use more efficient ways to escape if you have them.
    Special: That's how you use your intelligence score in combat, dumbass!

Scars of War
    Your skin is tough enough to withstand a beating
    Benefit: You gain a natural armour bonus to armour class equal to 1, plus 1 per 3 veteran levels.

Skilled
    You are simply more skilful than others of your kind
    Benefit: You retroactively and forevermore increase the veteran's skill points per level by 4 (16 at first level). You spend these extra skill points immediately, even though you couldn't normally spend them at this time. Further, you get a +1 bonus on all skill checks and treat all skills as trained.
    Special: You must remember which skill points are a result of this veteran trick in case it is lost or swapped out. You can take this trick more than once; its effects, where relevant, stack.

Snap Out of it!
    You can allow people to regain control over themselves.
    Benefit: You can negate the effect of an enchantment, illusion or telepathy by shouting at someone to snap out of it. This takes a swift action, as it's a little more strenuous than actually talking.
    Special: Obviously, you can't end instantaneous effects like Phantasmal Killer.

Snap Shooter
    You can shoot enemies who are distracted
    Benefit: You gain the benefits of the Quick Draw feat, and you can make attacks of opportunity with a ranged weapon, and don't provoke them for using one. Your threatened area is increased to the range of your weapon (or a weapon such as a throwing weapon that you can draw as a free action) but only for actions other than moving through a threatened space that provoke attacks of opportunity, such as casting a spell.

Sneak Attacker
    You can use sneak attacks, and better still, you can use them on anything.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 2nd.
    Benefit: The veteran can use the sneak attack and impromptu sneak attack abilities of an arcane trickster of a level equal to the veteran's level. Further, the veteran's sneak attacks do full damage even to targets who'd normally be immune.

Sudden Movement
    You are faster than most
    Benefit: You move twice as fast as normal. You can move up to half your new speed as an immediate action. You don't provoke attacks of opportunity for moving.
    Special: You can move out of the effect of an ability, or out of a creature's attack. This might waste someone's action.

Swimmer
    You swim masterfully, and move through water as though it were air even when you hit the bottom.
    Prerequisites: Swim 4 ranks.
    Benefit: You can hold your breath 10 times as long as normal. You get a +10 bonus on swim checks. When you're moving on ground that's under a body of water, the water doesn't slow or impede you.

Terrain Master
    You can move through any kind of terrain without issue.
    Benefit: You don't take any penalties for moving through any type of terrain.

Terrifying Presence
    You demoralise your opponents into submission just by your presence.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 4th
    Benefit: Your enemies within 120 feet get a -1 penalty on all D20 rolls per 4 levels, and a -1 penalty on damage rolls per 2 levels.
    Special: This is not a morale penalty and stacks with morale penalties normally.

Trap Mastery
    You know everything there is to know about traps.
    Prerequisites: Disable Device 4 ranks.
    Benefit: You can find and disable traps in the same manner that a rogue does. You get a +10 bonus to disable device checks, and spot checks taken to notice traps, as well as search and open lock checks to use a bypass method. If you successfully disable a mechanical (non-spell) trap that can reasonably be picked up and moved, you can take it around with you safely, and also re-set it as a full-round action.

You are automatically entitled to a search check to find a trap even if you're not actively searching for it.

The Speed of Light
    You can move insanely fast.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 16th, The Speed of Sound.
    Benefit: Each turn you can take an extra standard action.
    Special: Due to the fact that you invariably have an extra move action, this allows you to take an extra full-round action.

The Speed of Sound
    You move faster than eye can see.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 11th
    Benefit: You can take an extra swift action and an extra move action each round.
    Special: This allows you to take extra immediate actions, and with a source of an extra standard action might entail allowing you another full-round action.

Unbound Feat
    Alas, poor epic fighter.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 11th.
    Benefit: You can take any feat, even if you don't qualify for it. You can even take epic feats with this trick.
    Special: You can take this trick more than once.

Untouchable
    You are near-impossible to hit.
    Benefit: You roll any saves twice and take the better result. Creatures attacking you roll the attack roll twice and take the worse result.

Volley of Arrows
    You load a ranged weapon with a fistful of ammunition and fire the lot of it at your enemies.
    Benefit: As a full action, you can make a volley of arrows attack with a ranged weapon. You choose a location within the weapon's maximum range. Everyone within 20 feet of that location takes the weapon's base damage per level. For example, if you're 8th level, wielding a composite longbow (+3 strength bonus) then you'll deal 8d8+24 damage to each creature in the area.
    Special: There's no reason you have to use a bow or even a crossbow: slings or even throwing weapons would work. Most firearms aren't suitable for this kind of attack, though.

Wallcrash
    You are much better at breaking objects.
    Prerequisites: Strength 16+
    Benefit: Your strength check result (including the D20 result) for any strength check to break any object (including, for example, walls) is multiplied by 5.

This allows you to pull off some exceptional feats. If you can pass a DC 60 strength check, you can break a Wall of Force, an item made of Riverrine, or a similar force effect. A DC 100 strength check will break pretty much anything.

Wingclip
    Despite the name, this allows you to bring even magical flyers to the ground.
    Benefit: Whenever you strike an opponent with an attack, you may injure them such as to prevent them flying for 1 round/2 levels (minimum 1). If they're actually flying, they fall (though spells such as Fly usually have special riders to prevent the user being damaged in this way).
    Special: This doesn't prevent the use of spells like Feather Fall. For the purposes of this trick, any means of becoming airborne for longer than the duration of the actions taken to do so (such as levitation but not jumping) is treated as flight.

You have no power over me!
    Enemy wizards find that their abilities aren't quite as good as they think they are.
    Prerequisites: Veteran level 10th
    Benefit: When the veteran's attack would be blocked, prevented, impeded or interrupted by a spell effect, it isn't.
    Special: As normal, this includes powers, spell-like or psi-like abilities, as well as martial maneuvers.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-08-15 at 09:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Should the Veteran find a way to get an extrodinary version of an enchantment bonus to aid in their greatness and protecting them selves a bit more?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoli View Post
    Should the Veteran find a way to get an extrodinary version of an enchantment bonus to aid in their greatness and protecting them selves a bit more?
    What do you mean by that? You mean like +X weapons and armour? You could always take Paragon to increase your ability scores directly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, +x to weapon or armor or shield. I may have missed something about beating dr/magic or epic somewhere there, I'm good at missing things like that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Yeah, +x to weapon or armor or shield. I may have missed something about beating dr/magic or epic somewhere there, I'm good at missing things like that.
    Mortal Wound allows you to ignore DR, as well as making your attacks really hard to heal.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I feel like such a "genius" some days, I missed the ignore DR part of that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

This is really excellent, I'd definitely like to play a class like this. I'd put it at ~Tier 1 level though, but if it's meant to combat T0 classes is that really a bad thing?

You should consider an animal companion Veteran Trick (or perhaps just straight up give them an animal companion). I really like the idea of a grizzled veteran charging into the fight alongside his faithful hound.
    Last edited by Business Scrub; 2015-07-22 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    It is the ultimate in pseudo-pubescent manly bonding experiences. If you are good at pins 'n' rims, you are good at life.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Fun fact I am infact playing a veteran now. His name is Alfred Hancock and he is a modern character who was warped into my friends setting b/c that's how every line gets there l. Anyway, Mortal Wounds trivializes anything that looks at you wrong, like GG terrasque kind of trivialized. Currently he is level 3 and I shall update you on how this class plays out in a high magic seting.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Business Scrub View Post
    This is really excellent, I'd definitely like to play a class like this. I'd put it at ~Tier 1 level though, but if it's meant to combat T0 classes is that really a bad thing?

You should consider an animal companion Veteran Trick (or perhaps just straight up give them an animal companion). I really like the idea of a grizzled veteran charging into the fight alongside his faithful hound.
    It's not a bad thing, because it's designed to be tier 1!

Mm, animal companion or special mount is a possibility. I'll add it in.

Fun fact I am infact playing a veteran now. His name is Alfred Hancock and he is a modern character who was warped into my friends setting b/c that's how every line gets there l. Anyway, Mortal Wounds trivializes anything that looks at you wrong, like GG terrasque kind of trivialized. Currently he is level 3 and I shall update you on how this class plays out in a high magic seting.
    Sweet, that'd be nice of you to do that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

It's a good class all around, though I have one question: in a mainly magic setting, does the Veteran fall by using technologically based items, and vice versa?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    It's a good class all around, though I have one question: in a mainly magic setting, does the Veteran fall by using technologically based items, and vice versa?
    No. In general, whichever one of magic and technology is dominant is banned by the veteran. If magitech is dominant, the veteran still probably bans magic. In fact, it's difficult to look at the Craft Flying Machine and Craft Masterwork Flying Machine tricks as being anything but technology.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Alfred, my veteran, is a modern mercenary (he is from 2015), he is armed with a .44 revolver an m4 carbine and a shotgun of a variety I cant remember off the top of my head. He is currently employed by necromancer A to get rid of necromancer B because necromancer B is drawing too much attention to necromancy in their general area, and necromancer A doesn't like the competition.
    We are gestalt.
    The party consists of a Halfdragon ninja//samurai (both pathfinder) (deceased, as of the giant goul in the parking lot), Cleric // inquisitor (both pathfinder) of ugothoya goul (also deceased b/c of the bigger goul in the parking lot), a merralith (racial Class) // belator, a Mage blade (pathfinder magus like thing, from obscure 3pp 3.5 splatbook) // soulknife, and Alfred a veteran // d20 modern dexterity hero using the pathfinder update Game Rules Creations made up.

Alfred is currently stomping across necro B's compound and shooting all of his minions, because zombies and guns and hes seen zombie movies. We then opened the door to the biggest tower and then there was a super goul in there who had A. DR/good B. Fast healing 5 and C. inflict serious being cast on it. Mortal Wounds decided that the goul cant have any of the shines that it was meant to have.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Does volley of arrows automatically hit or is it an attack roll or a save for half?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Does volley of arrows automatically hit or is it an attack roll or a save for half?
    There's no attack roll and no save. You just deal damage.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Does being an innately magic race, such as most fey, disqualify you from being a veteran? A guy in my game wants to be an Atomie (pathfinder monster) veteran.
    Last edited by nikkoli; 2015-07-28 at 07:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Does being an innately magic race, such as most fey, disqualify you from being a veteran? A guy in my game wants to be an Atomie (pathfinder monster) veteran.
    No. No race whose existence and presence are not (Su), (Sp), or (Ps), or indeed spells or powers, is disqualified. They must, however, forgo any abilities of one of those types, as well as extraordinary martial maneuvers, to avoid losing their conviction.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Does mortal wounds over come Resilience?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Does mortal wounds over come Resilience?
    Yes. The language in Resilience even specifies that certain things, such as flame strike's special untyped damage that results directly from divine power, overcome Resilience. Mortal Wound, on the other hand, specifies that it overcomes even "Any other clever way your opponent can think of to reduce the damage you deal", such as resilience.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sorry if this is a reference to something I don't get over here or haven't yet seen, but why doesn't the italicized writing beneath the first image rhyme?

As for the Veteran, I love it. You are epic, and I wish this forum had some kind of +1 system I could use to let you know how epic you are.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStone93 View Post
    Sorry if this is a reference to something I don't get over here or haven't yet seen, but why doesn't the italicized writing beneath the first image rhyme?

As for the Veteran, I love it. You are epic, and I wish this forum had some kind of +1 system I could use to let you know how epic you are.
    It's not a reference. It doesn't rhyme simply because it's a poem without a rhyme scheme: it's essentially free verse, though slightly more rigid than that.

Thanks, anyway. Any ideas for veteran tricks you'd like to see?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

There should be a morale focused party buff where if he hits things, others get a bonus hitting them.
    Spoiler: Quotes!!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Wouldn't a half-elf/half-orc be a Fork?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And besides, it's a ludicrous way of breaking the game by twisting rules beyond all recognition. Kobolds have to be involved in there somewhere.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elandris Kajar View Post
    There should be a morale focused party buff where if he hits things, others get a bonus hitting them.
    Added the Death Mark ability. Not morale focused, but the fluff fits the Veteran better, I think.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Perhaps something related to getting a bunch of commoners or something on your side, so you can train them into soldiers and allies and make a small squad?