1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Experimental PrC Ideas

Okay, to start, these classes are meant to be simple but effective improvements to some little ideas and combos I've had that I tended to like. Some of these are based on some feats (canon or homebrew) I've used that I thought could be a good basis for a class concept. There isn't much fluff for these, if any, but it's not meant to be flavorful beyond what they're used for as it is.

The first of these is the infusionist, which is designed to give the user a bit of a Panic Button ability. It's able to be entered at 4th level and has fairly lax requirements. However, for a commoner, which is the one that used the ability, it isn't able to be taken until 9th level unless they find a way to get Concentration as a class skill (I don't think there is but I could be wrong). This class might be a little abusable depending on what you get out of it, but it's fun.

The second is a take on one of Welknair's NPC PrCs for Incarnum, which he never touched for that little projects. It's quite a bit simpler since it doesn't give you much in the way of actual meldshaping, it simply makes your incarnum feats more usable without the need for going into a meldshaping class, which I think is nice and gives some options.

I will have more up later, but these are the two I have for now and am comfortable posting.

Spoiler: Infusionist
    Show
    Infusionist

Entry Requirements
    Skills:
    Concentration 6
    Feats: Psycarnum Infusion
    Special: Must possess an essentia pool.

Hit Die: d6

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special PP Essentia
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Extended Infusion 1 1
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Expanded Infusion 3 2
    3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 Invested Infusion 6 3
    Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Profession. Psicraft, Spot. 2 + Int Modifier Skill Points.

Wpn/Arm Prof: The infusionist does not gain any new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Extended Infusion (Ex): At 1st level, the duration of the infusionist's Psycarnum Infusion feat extends by a number of rounds equal to the infusionist's class level. At 2nd level, the infusionist increases the number of rounds by an additional one.

When the infusionist uses the Psycarnum Infusion feat, he may spend one or more power points (up to 5 or half the infusionist's manifester level, whichever is higher) to increase the duration by an equal number of rounds.

Expanded Infusion (Ex): At 2nd level, the infusionist can select two incarnum receptacles when they use the Psycarnum Infusion feat. At 3rd level, the infusionist can select three incarnum receptacles.

Alternatively, the infusionist may forgo infusing one of their incarnum receptacles to increase the essentia capacity of their incarnum receptacles benefiting from Psycarnum Infusion equal to the number of receptacles they chose not to infuse.

Invested Infusion (Ex): At 3rd level, when the infusionist uses the Psycarnum Infusion feat, they may invest a point of essentia into this class feature to retain their psionic focus. Each point of essentia invested in this class feature grants the infusionist a +2 bonus on Concentration checks to gain psionic focus. This class feature has an essentia capacity equal to the infusionist's normal essentia capacity.

After eight hours of rest, the essentia in this class feature is uninvested. Essentia invested in this class feature cannot be uninvested by any other means.

This class feature cannot benefit from Psycarnum Infusion.

Spoiler: Soulfused
    Show
    Soulfused

Entry Requirements
    Skills:
    Knowledge (The Planes) 3 Ranks, Any other Skill 6
    Special: Must possess an Essentia Pool

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Essentia
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Incarnum Ability +1
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Heightened Capacity (+1) +0
    3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 Incarnum Aura +1
    4th +2 +1 +1 +4 Heightened Capacity (+2) +0
    5th +2 +1 +1 +4 Incarnum Ability +1
    Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Profession, Spot. 2 + Int Modifier Skill Points.

Wpn/Arm Prof: Soulfused are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor, but not with shields.

Incarnum Ability: The soulfused gains a bonus Incarnum Feat at 1st and 5th level.

Incarnum Development: The soulfused gains a point of essentia at 1st, 3rd, and 5th level.

Heightened Capacity: The essentia capacity of the soulfused's incarnum feats increases by 1 at 2nd and 4th level.

Incarnum Aura: A soulfused of 3rd level has an aura of incarnum around them. As a standard action, the soulfused may compress this aura into a single soulmeld of the soulfused's choice. This shaped soulmeld lasts for one minute before unshaping, at which time it becomes an aura once more.

On shaping this soulmeld, the soulfused may bind it to a chakra it has open, if any.

While the Aura is active, all of the soulfused's incarnum receptacles count as if they had one extra point of essentia invested that does not count towards their Essentia Capacity.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2015-07-19 at 07:09 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Experimental PrC Ideas

I can't see a character wanting to take Infusionist. Psionic characters don't want it, since it doesn't progress psionics. Meldshapers don't want it, since it doesn't help with meldshaping. Casters certainly don't want it, since it doesn't progress casting and they probably don't have a psionic focus anyway. Skill monkeys don't want it because it tanks your skills. Fighters don't want it because it tanks your stats. So who's supposed to be taking it? It doesn't seem to have any niche.

Soulfused has a similar problem. I'm not sure what kind of character is supposed to take it. The most logical would be Soulborn, since they're the class that gets the bonus Incarnum feats, but the half-BAB isn't very friendly for them. And Incarnates and Totemists don't seem like they'd be interested in losing their meldshaper progression for it--and even if they were, they wouldn't want all 5 levels.

Also, regarding the names, Infusionists don't use infusions and Soulfused are apparently unrelated to the Soulfused template...so that's a little awkward.
    I made a homebrew prestige class.

Spoiler: Characters I'm playing
    Show

Spoiler: Campaigns I'm running
    Show
    The Purifiers: OOC, IC
    Incarnum Quest: OOC, IC.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I can't see a character wanting to take Infusionist. Psionic characters don't want it, since it doesn't progress psionics. Meldshapers don't want it, since it doesn't help with meldshaping. Casters certainly don't want it, since it doesn't progress casting and they probably don't have a psionic focus anyway. Skill monkeys don't want it because it tanks your skills. Fighters don't want it because it tanks your stats. So who's supposed to be taking it? It doesn't seem to have any niche.

Soulfused has a similar problem. I'm not sure what kind of character is supposed to take it. The most logical would be Soulborn, since they're the class that gets the bonus Incarnum feats, but the half-BAB isn't very friendly for them. And Incarnates and Totemists don't seem like they'd be interested in losing their meldshaper progression for it--and even if they were, they wouldn't want all 5 levels.

Also, regarding the names, Infusionists don't use infusions and Soulfused are apparently unrelated to the Soulfused template...so that's a little awkward.
    ...Did you read what I said at the start? These classes are based on nice little combos I liked when playing a commoner character. Ex:

Infusionist is based on a concept I had of a character with Wild Talent, Cerulean Will, Cerulean Toughness, Improved Essentia Capacity, and Psionic Meditation. Had the ability to charge up his mental abilities then gain some Temp HP when he needed it so he'd survive. This PrC takes that a few pegs higher, giving the ability to maintain those effects for longer than one round and more than just one. It works fairly well for its intended purpose, to make a useful feat more useful. That's its entire purpose, sure, it doesn't directly improve meldshaping or manifesting like a theurge class would, but it gives a viable and flavorful ability that sets it apart. I like the class, personally, and will be getting a playtest for it fairly soon, actually. One of my PCs is gonna take it.

Soulfused is a NPC PrC, like the ones welknair created, it leads them into an Incarnum using class, it's not meant to be taken by an incarnum using class. However, it also has its uses, it improves the capacity and strength of Incarnum feats, gives a soulmeld you can change every minute that buffs up anything that uses incarnum in your possession, which also works to passively buff all of your soulmelds as an added bonus if you can shape them. So yes, it's not a powerful class and it doesn't boost existing meldshaping, but that's not what it's designed for, it's designed to give an NPC like a commoner access to improved Incarnum abilities.

I said it in the opener, these are ideas designed to give some nice little options, maybe not integral to a concept, but nice all the same. Most of them will be no longer than five levels, and many will only be three levels, so you can take them as a little side option without having to invest too much. Put them on an NPC to give them a little quirky ability to spice up a character. I'll modify them as I go so they're more balanced, but I prefer to aim low for these things.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The Infusionist is actually pretty great if you know what you're doing. After all, Incarnum classes don't really care about multiclassing all that much - and this really helps with Meldshaping.

For most Incarnum classes, the Infusionist will drop them by one Chakra Bind and one Soulmeld in comparison with going from 1-20. I would gladly trade that for Extended Infusion - with a proper build, that can be the equivalent of 10 Essentia on its own.

And, at the same time, it isn't too strong - it happily fills its little niche.

On the other hand, the Soulfused is pretty par for course, matching Welknair's old classes, so well done there.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    The Infusionist is actually pretty great if you know what you're doing. After all, Incarnum classes don't really care about multiclassing all that much - and this really helps with Meldshaping.

For most Incarnum classes, the Infusionist will drop them by one Chakra Bind and one Soulmeld in comparison with going from 1-20. I would gladly trade that for Extended Infusion - with a proper build, that can be the equivalent of 10 Essentia on its own.

And, at the same time, it isn't too strong - it happily fills its little niche.

On the other hand, the Soulfused is pretty par for course, matching Welknair's old classes, so well done there.
    I'm glad you like it. As I said I'll be getting a playtest of the classes some time soon, so I hope to iron out any kinks they may have.

I also have another batch incoming sometime tomorrow. I'll be working on a few different ones, but I've got two in the works right now, one based on Soulsight from Magic of Incarnum and one based on Poison Healer from Fiendish Codex 1.

First one's the Soul Seeker, simply put, it's a class that makes the limited blindsense from Soulsight a little less limited and a little better (it takes a swift action every round rather than a move action, has an extended range, and some blindsight mixed in). If you have nothing to do with your swift actions (such as from being a fighter) this is a good class to take even with the drop in BAB. This one's actually based on a monk character I made a long time ago.

The second one is all about healing. Self healing in particular. It lets you build up a resistance to poison by being exposed to it, eventually nets you an effective immunity to poison (treated as rolling a nat 20 on Fort Saves vs Poison instead of getting actual immunity, and since a nat 20 is an auto succeed on saving throws... it may actually be better than poison immunity), and gives you a natural defense against biters (most animals) by storing poison in your blood. Wanted to give a little self buff somewhere, but couldn't find a way to do it without being potentially broken. This one can get a little expensive, but a simple mug of ale becomes a great way to heal up with this kind of class. Not quite infinite healing, but it is extremely cheap healing.

I'll give little previews like this for all the classes I make so I can get some basic feedback and ideas before I post them.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Well, here's the new batch I mentioned. The Soul Seeker and the Bane-Booded

Spoiler: Soul Seeker
    Show
    Soul Seeker

Entry Requirements
    Skills:
    Concentration 6 Ranks, Listen 6 Ranks, Spot 6 Ranks
    Feats: Soulsight

1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Improved Soulsight 1
    2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Extended Soulsight 2
    3rd +1 +1 +3 +3 Superior Soulsight 3
    Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Listen, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot. 2 + Int Modifier Skill Points.

Wpn/Arm Prof: A soul seeker gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Improved Soulsight (Ex): The soul seeker may activate Soulsight as a swift action instead of a move action. Additionally, the soul seeker gains a bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks equal to twice the essentia invested in the Soulsight feat.

Extended Soulsight (Ex): The soul seeker's Soulsight reaches farther and more accurately than it otherwise would, the blindsense going out to 10ft per point of essentia invested into the feat instead of 5ft. The soul seeker may spend a move action to double the range of their blindsense from soulsight for one round.

Superior Soulsight (Ex): When the soul seeker uses Soulsight, he gains blindsight out to half of the range of his blindsense. Additionally, the soul seeker gains an insight bonus to their AC equal to the essentia invested in the Soulsight feat against creatures he can sense with the Soulsight feat.

Spoiler: Bane-Blooded
    Show
    Bane-Blooded

Entry Requirements
    Skills:
    Autohypnosis 6 Ranks
    Feats: Poison Healer

Hit Die: d8

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +0 +2 +0 +0 Tainted Health
    2nd +1 +3 +0 +0 Bleakblood
    3rd +2 +3 +1 +1 Blighted Health
    Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Craft, Heal, Intimidate, Profession, Ride. 2 + Int Modifier Skill Points.

Wpn/Arm Prof: The Bane-Blooded does not gain any new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Tainted Health (Ex): Whenever the Bane-Blooded heals hit points with the Poison Healer feat, they heal a number of aditional hit points equal to their Con score - 10 instead of their Con modifier. Whenever the Bane-Blooded uses Autohypnosis in place of a Fortitude save to tolerate poison, they gain the benefit of Poison Healer if they succeed on the skill check.

Additionally, each time the Bane-Blooded is exposed to a poison, they gain a +1 circumstance bonus against that poison. This bonus stacks up to +10. This includes Alcohol of any kind.

Bleakblood (Ex): Whenever the Bane-Blooded heals hit points with the Poison Healer feat, they gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the save DC of the poison they saved against - 10 multiplied by their class level. Ex: A 2nd level Bane-Blooded that saves against a dose of Drow Knockout Poison gains 6 temporary hit points. At 3rd level, this same Bane-Blooded saves against the same poison instead gains 9 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points gained from this ability last for one minute.

Additionally, whenever the Bane-Blooded is exposed to poison, whether they make the save or not or are immune, the poison is stored in their blood for 24 hours. This automatically affects any creature that bites the Bane-Blooded or otherwise drinks the Bane-Blooded's blood. The Bane-Blooded may consume this poison by making an Autohypnosis check equal to the DC of the poison to activate the Poison Healer feat. A Bane-Blooded may only have one poison stored in their blood in this way.

Blighted Health (Ex): The Bane-Blooded counts as rolling a natural 20 on Fort saves against Poison (effectively gaining immunity to poison). Additionally, when the Bane-Blooded gains hit points from Poison Healer, the number of hit points healed is increased to Xd3, where X is equal to the Bane-Blooded's Con score - 10.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2015-07-18 at 11:26 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Does the Extended Infusion allow one to pay any number of power points? So I could for example pay 20 points to extend 20 rounds?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Does the Extended Infusion allow one to pay any number of power points? So I could for example pay 20 points to extend 20 rounds?
    The intent is for it to cap out at your character level, but I'm thinking of Capping it a little lower, TBH. Maybe 5.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    The intent is for it to cap out at your character level, but I'm thinking of Capping it a little lower, TBH. Maybe 5.
    Maybe half character level?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Maybe half character level?
    I went with 5, it works for the purposes I have. Actually, that'll work
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2015-07-19 at 07:08 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Alright, new batch of two!

Here we have the Spirit Healer, based on the Healing Soul feat, it is an incarnum class based around healing, obviously. It has a mechanic similar to the Dragon Shaman from the Player's Handbook 2, granting it a good deal of flexibility with its healing, in addition to providing a sort of buffer at 3rd level that lets it apply healing before injuries accrue so they heal passively after taking an injury.

The second is the Echoed Mind, a psionic class based entirely around gaining multiple instances of psionic focus using the Dreamscarred Press feat Subconscious Containment. It's also one of the harder to get into because this can give some serious burst potential, even if it does take a while to fully charge up for a second burst (2 rounds minimum). It also has the unusual benefit of increasing the benefit of feats that provide static bonuses while psionically focused, making things like Psionic Dodge a bit more useful.

Let me know what you think.

Spoiler: Spirit Healer
    Show
    Spirit Healer

Entry Requirements
    Skills:
    Heal 6 Ranks
    Feats: Healing Soul

1st +0 +2 +0 +2 Incarnum Healing 1
    2nd +1 +3 +0 +3 Incarnum Chirurgeon 2
    3rd +1 +3 +1 +3 Incarnum Vitality 3
    Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot. 4 + Int Modifier Skill Points.

Wpn/Arm Prof: A spirit healer gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Incarnum Healing (Su): When the spirit healer invests essentia into the Healing Soul feat, they gain a pool of healing that acts much like the paladin's lay on hands ability equal to their class level x their Con mod x the amount of essentia invested in the Healing Soul feat. The healing from this class feature is not positive energy and can be used to heal living, undead, and construct creatures equally.

Additionally, the healing provided by Healing Soul is doubled and may be expended to add to the pool of healing provided by the Incarnum Healing class feature or to heal a touched target.

This class feature can be affected by the Azure Touch feat, adding the essentia invested into it to the Essentia invested into the Healing Soul feat rather than to their class level to determine the healing provided.

Incarnum Chirurgeon (Su): The spirit healer can expend five points of healing to cure 1 point of ability damage or remove the dazed, fatigued, or sickened condition from one individual. The spirit healer can expend ten points of healing to remove the exhausted, nauseated, poisoned, or stunned condition from one individual. The spirit healer can expend twenty points of healing to remove a negative level or the the blinded, deafened, or diseased condition from one individual.

The spirit healer can remove one or more conditions and heal damage with the same touch, so long as they expend the required number of points.

Incarnum Vitality (Su): The spirit healer can spend healing from Incarnum Healing on an uninjured target. Should the target take damage afterwards, they begin to heal at a rate of 1 hit point per round until they've healed a number of hit points to bring them to their maximum or until they heal a number of hit points equal to the spent healing. This can apply to conditions that can be removed with Incarnum Chirurgeon, healing at a rate of one condition per round starting with the highest cost condition and continuing from there.

Healing spent to this effect lasts until the spirit healer's essentia is uninvested from the Healing Soul feat.

Spoiler: Echoed Mind
    Show
    Echoed Mind

Entry Requirements
    Skills:
    Concentration 9 Ranks
    Feats: Narrow Mind, Subconscious Containment, Psionic Meditation

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Special
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Echoed Focus 2
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Focused Mind 6
    3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 Psychic Echo 12
    Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (Psionics), Profession, Psicraft, Use Psionic Device. 2 + Int Modifier Skill Points

Wpn/Arm Prof: An echoed mind gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Echoed Focus (Ex): The echoed mind may gain a number of additional psionic foci equal to their character level. These additional foci are gained as if with Subconscious Containment except the DC is increased by 5 for each additional Foci gained (20 for Subconscious, 25 for first Echoed Focus, 30 for second Echoed Focus, and 35 for their third Echoed Focus).

Focused Mind (Ex): When the echoed mind may gain psionic focus as a Swift Action, Move Action, or Standard Action and may attempt to gain multiple psionic foci in a single round.

Psychic Echo (Ex): The echoed mind gains the benefits of psionic feats that require maintaining psionic focus a number of times equal to the number of psionic foci they are currently maintaining (so Speed of thought would grant +20ft to move speed if the echoed mind had two psionic foci and +50ft if they had five psionic foci).

If a feat has a conditional bonus that is only active under certain conditions, such as the Duck and Weave feat, you must meet those conditions for each instance of the bonus (Ex: with Duck and Weave you'd need to move 20ft for a +4 bonus, 30ft for a +6 bonus, etc.).

NOTE: Yes, it is possible to expend multiple psionic foci on the same psionic feat to boost its effect, but the burst effect for that requires expending all five psionic foci, which you can gain a maximum of three of in a turn with this class (unless you break action economy in which case you have worse things to worry about) and even then would take a full round action and some decent rolling. I think it balances, personally.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2015-07-23 at 07:05 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show