Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 5th Edition low-level game [IC]

It is mid-morning in the bustling harbor town of River Rock. The last of the westbound barges, on the way to the elven-held city of Plainsfort, load up their wares after a night in port. Across town, on the large crest of stone from which the town takes its name, sits Riversedge Keep, home to Count James Farimol and current site of a meeting of River Rock's High Council. There, they are just finishing up interviewing some local mercenaries, whom they have selected to venture into the nearby woods to clear it of the various fell beasts which reside therein.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just write a short, IC introduction, and mingle with each other while we wait for everyone to reply.
    Last edited by jkat718; 2015-07-20 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added title
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 5th Edition low-level game [IC]

Skitarii, an odd sight as a 10' tall spider, skitters out, waiting for the rest of the group to catch up. Under his breath, he mutters a song to himself, blissfully unaware of any malicious looks he receives.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2015-07-20 at 07:31 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by AsteriskAmp, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Clarabel
    An uncertain, forced grin marred Clarabel's pretty face as she glanced over her compatriots. It didn't take any time for her to notice, that amongst this motley crew, she was the only fully-human member, and though only one of them could match her strength, she couldn't help but feel slightly ill-at-ease at the prospect of hunting in the woods with such companions as a dragonborn, a stone man, a bird man, and a giant, talking spider. Clara froze awkwardly as she watched the spider walk out from the room without so much as a by your leave, winching its legs inward and hunching over so that it could fit through the door.

After a pause, Clarabel shook her head ever so slightly and said, "I assure you we will be more than capable of dealing with these wood creatures straight away."
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2015-07-22 at 02:54 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Skitarii

Ah-were we not finished? My apologies, Skitarii says, his voice high and airy, as he crawls back into the room.I thought your last sentence was a dismissal.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Hope walked to meet the others, smiling as she tuned her lute. They all looked like very good meatshields for her to buff from the back. Hope waved as she skipped into place.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Twi glances from one mercenary to the other, they all towered over her by a head at least, several of them by even more. "Pardon me" she says awkwardly, poking her long beak between Hope and Clarabel. Twi blinks her beedy little eyes at (the count?) and says Ahh...sir what can you tell us about these eh, Fel Beasts? I mean, a fel beast, well those can't be very nice, it's right there in their name She stammers slightly and bobs her head at Hope er no offense to present company of course"

Really Twi was just looking for some quick currency so she could visit the nearest pub and try out those potato things she'd heard about. She really wanted to do here homework to make sure she didn't get her wings clipped so soon after coming to the material plane.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ettenial turned to take his first good look at the rest of companions. Some were a bit on the small side, but they had the look a fighters. A good group. Unconventional, perhaps but a good group nonetheless. So, these are the scoundrels that show up when there's money to fight? laughed the dragonborn. He then pivoted back towards the council. Don't worry, your honors, we'll have the woods under control in no time. Why, we might not even need to burn them down!
    ke palulu o ka pono, ka ihe o Ku
    I'm building a campaign setting! Latest update: Gnomes!

Hobhekili credit to linklele.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Clarabel had to stifle a laugh at the dragonborn's jest.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

We aren't, um, planning on burning them down, are we? I rather like the forests-it reminds me of home.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Hearing the dragonborn's stirring words, Hope quickly strummed her lute. "I concur!"
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

11. - Top - End - #11

Aggak (who had thus far remained quiet) furrowed his brow slightly at the Ettenial's words, "I am quite certain that we shall accomplish our task, but I can assure you that if you attempt to burn down the forest you will have me to contend with."
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Clarabel
    Careful to hide it as she rolled her eyes, Clara flicked a mote of dust from her left glove adding, "No need to be so severe, friend shaman, of course nodody plans to burn the forest down." Lords and ladies! she thought to herself, I get saddled with one of these uncouth wood-warlocks, and on top of that he's as rigid as the stones fused with his skin... "Surely our draconic ally was being sarcastic?"
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2015-07-22 at 02:53 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Count Farimol looks over at the bird-woman, and thinks to himself, "It's irksome, really, the Crown's insistence on fostering 'good relations' with these so-called 'extraplanar douarak.' Really, though, they do seem quite imposing. Perhaps it truly is for the best." Speaking aloud, he continues, "Sorry, ah...Twi, was it? The Thanderyn Forest has presented quite the conundrum to the people of River Rock. The first settlers of River Rock supposed it an easy source of construction material, but were quickly proven incorrect in their assumptions by its inhabitants, the fey. Any logging expeditions we send into the forest return broken, not in body, but both in mind and in spirit. That is, if they return at all; many fine men and women enter Thanderyn and are never seen again. We fear that, without adequate lumber, we will be unable to reinforce our fine city wall and fend off the Orcish hordes which plague us from the north. It is your mission, as well as your compatriots, to find the cause of the feys' hostility and report back to Major Fredricsson of the town guard, so he may advise me on how to proceed. Unless there is anything left to discuss, please follow the steward to our stables, where he will outfit you for your expedition."
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal

Full Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Fear not-as a fey creature myself, I should be able to sacertain their grievances quickly.

However...
    Skitarii mimics as best he can a human expression of hesitation. They may hold grievance with all logging. If that is the case, another solution my have to be sought.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Ettenial was about to clarify that he did, in fact, not intend to burn down the forest, when the Count started speaking. Hearing the stories of whole groups lost to the fey, Thorn felt his hand wrap instinctively around the silver amulet at his throat. Before we depart, your honor, might I pick up some last minute supplies? You know, oil, chain, a signal horn. That sort of thing.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Of course, my good man, of course! The County of Riversedge is nothing if not generous. Merely alert the steward as to your desired acquisitions, and I would be happy to supply you with any reasonably-priced provisions you may require."
    At the Count's beckoning, a stooped, elderly gentleman shuffles forward with his head bowed. "It is my office and my pleasure to serve you, brave warriors. How may I be of assistance?"
    Show

Full Signature

17. - Top - End - #17

Thorn reached into his belt pouch and brought out nine gold coins. It was a good bit of his funds, but he'd be getting it back soon. Plus, he was going to have great fun with these purchase.
    10 feet of chain, 5 flasks of oil, and a horn should suffice.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Er... Friend, what do you need the chain and oil for? Skitarii asks as he places a forelimb on Thorn's shoulder.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Oh, chain's always useful to have. The oil is for if some part of the forest is what's causing this. Burn away the evil, and the darkness will not stand. Then, with a chuckle, he added also, it'll come in handy if the trader I got my torches from gypped my again.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure we can resolve this without the need for fire.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Thorn looked hard at the spider for a minute, then nodded. Very well. Hold the oil. We won't need it. If he's wrong, he thought to himself, then I've fire enough still.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Fantastic! May I hug you, Thorn? Skitarii asks, his front two limbs held open for a hug. I ask because many people would not wish to receive one, but I'm simply glad you've agreed!

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

With a bow, the steward hands off the money to a waiting page, who departs after a brief, whispered exchange. Count Farimol leans forward, entering the fire-related conversation, "While your, ah...enthusiasm is much appreciated, Mister Thorn, I thank you for keeping in mind that the objective is to retain as much wooded acreage as possible. If that is all you require, please proceed to the stables. Good day, and I shall see you soon...I hope." The steward, now empty-handed, gestures to the door. "I have sent a servant down to the marketplace to make your purchases for you, sans combustibles. He will meet you at the gates before you depart. If you would follow me, sirs and madams...?"
    Last edited by jkat718; 2015-07-21 at 06:51 PM.
    Show

Full Signature

24. - Top - End - #24

Thorn accepted Skitarii's hug, making sure the spider came into contact with his amulet, then nodded to the steward. We will return victorious, your honor. He said, and started to follow the steward to the stables.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I will do my best to keep everyone safe, Skitarii says as he follows the group down to the stables.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Twi nods a few times to the steward, waits for everyone to pass, then dodders out after the rest of the party looking thoughtful, or perhaps slightly spaced out.

27. - Top - End - #27

The steward takes you down a long, winding staircase down the side of the hill upon which the keep is perched. Upon reaching the stables, he waves over three stable hands, quietly gives them instructions, and sends them off. They return shortly, holding the reigns for two horses each. After tying up the mounts, one stable hand opens a nearby crate, pulling out various riding gear. Together, they set about kitting up the horses for travel, with bits, bridles, saddles, and a large set of saddlebags for the last horse. Upon completing their work, they bow and exit the room, heading deeper into the stable. After a brief inspection of the horses, the stewards turns to you, saying, "Very good work, I should think. We pride ourselves on efficiency in this household. To get to the forest, take the East Gate; the young man I sent to go shopping for you should be waiting there by now. Good day!" With that, the old man hobbles out of the barn, heading back to the keep.

Show
    I'm going to wait a bit before time jumping you into the forest. Gotta go have dinner! I'd rather take some time to make the post, and make sure it's well-written, than rush it and have it be poorly-written.
    Last edited by jkat718; 2015-07-21 at 08:15 PM.
    Show

Full Signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Skitarii approaches one of the horses, slowly and carefully so as not to spook it. Hey there, friend. Don't worry-I'm not very heavy, so me riding you won't be too hard.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

FIVE HOURS AND TEN MILES LATER...

After passing through the outlying farms of River Rock, your small contingent crosses the plain towards Thanderyn under blazing sun and little cloud cover. Luckily, the Count (or perhaps the steward) thoughtfully included spare waterskins in the saddlebags, so you experience little discomfort from the heat.
    After traveling along the bank of the massive lake, the entrance to which River Rock presides over, the forest finally comes into view on the edge of the horizon. For those of you less accustomed to traveling by horseback, the ride might be nearing the point of unbearability. Luckily for you, it is now closer to nightfall then it is to their departure, so the trek is nearly halfway done. While, over the course of their journey's first leg, you passed a caravan and a singing minstrel, the second half of your journey proves much less eventful. Out here, the road becomes much patchier, and there far fewer signs of use.
    As you ride closer to the tree line, the trees seem to become brighter somehow, more verdant. By the time you enter the fringe of the Thanderyn, everything is so affected: colors seem more saturated, the sun seems brighter, and the very air feels thick and syrupy. The shade, however, provides a welcome respite from the unrelenting heat. You find yourselves at the end of the road, in a small clearing just inside the Thanderyn Forest.

Show
    So, the post I left open over dinner got eaten by my automatic tab suspender. I'm working on re-writing it (and saving it as a go this time!), but it'll be a little bit. Sorry for the delay, but please bear with me for a bit. When this blurb goes away, the post is ready. Ready to go! Sorry it's late.

While you're waiting, does anyone have an issue with all of you traveling in the front rank across the plain, and then traveling like so?
    Front Rank: Aggak
    Mid Rank 1: Twi Ettenial
    Mid Rank 2: Clarabel Orianna
    Back Rank: Skitarii
    I put Aggak and Skitarii on the ends because they have high Passive Perception, with Aggak on point because he's proficient in Nature (could help you not get lost in the woods). Twi and Ettenial up front, because they're tankier, and Clarabel behind Twi because she and Ettenial are primary healers, and therefore shouldn't be too close together, which left Orianna to go behind Ettenial. How does that sound?
    Last edited by jkat718; 2015-07-22 at 10:12 AM.
    Show

Full Signature

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Clarabel
    Along their road, the heat from the sun was unbearable leaving Clarabel a disheveled, soppy mess. Once they approached the tree line she eagerly leapt from her saddle to take refuge in the shade of the Thanderyn tree line.

After playing at her hair, and readjusting the top braid she'd pulled it into before the party's departure, Clara felt somewhat more human. "Now then," she began, "There was talk of slaying fell beasts wasn't there? You don't think the Count wants us to kill these fey creatures that are bothering his logging efforts do you? I'm not sure I'm up for that..." Protecting and securing the wellbeing of the commonfolk was one thing, and operating in their best interests another, but killing ancient natives to the forest in the name of business... even to help secure River Rock against the orc horde... that couldn't be justified, could it? Her father, Lord Anseed of Chateau deBatrieuz had often spoken to her of the hard choices that faced all nobility, of sacrifices to one's own principles in the name of a greater good. She wondered now, a sad smile shining in her eyes as she suddenly noticed the color and beauty of the forest around her, if this was the sort of thing he had meant...
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2015-07-22 at 05:40 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show