New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Oh, you crazy Brits.... I need help understanding our language difference.

OK, so I realize that there's a good bit of terminology that's different (elevators and lifts, trucks and lorries, apartments and flats), but it's usually a straight translation. However, I'm always a bit flummoxed by biscuits. My understanding is that they are more cookie-like than American biscuits, but the context clues I try to take are always confounding any attempt to lock it down to a specific food. Are they like generic American cookies? Are they some form of British cookie that I cannot experience without going to a Sir Fancy-Pants World Food Store? Is it punishable by law to have a British author write a book or story that doesn't include the eating of biscuits in a unique setting or time?

What's the deal with biscuits?[/seinfeld]
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Oh, you crazy Brits.... I need help understanding our language difference.

Jammie dodgers
    digestives
    Pink wafers
    nice biscuits
    rich tea
    ginger nuts
    custard creams
    Hob Nobs
    ... We have so much to teach you.

Right in now, in the loosest definition cookies are biscuits. but they aren't really biscuits are hard not like cookies. legend has it that in some language it means twice cooked but i honestly can't see that being the only feature... this is hard, try describing red to someone who is colour blind, it looses something in translation.
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2015-07-22 at 02:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Oh, you crazy Brits.... I need help understanding our language difference.

Biscuit is as diverse a category as cake is (not to mention the abominations that can't decide if they're cakes or biscuits). American cookies are a type of biscuit from a British perspective.

British biscuits tend not to be as big as American cookies and British cookies tend to be big as biscuits go.

Shortbread is sometimes a biscuit, shortbread biscuits (aka English Shortbread) is rarer than the more aggressively marketed Scottish Shortbread (which doesn't get called a biscuit but basically is, according to my recipe book shortbread biscuits are cooked for half the time at a higher temperature but don't expect that to be a rule) but lots of biscuits have what is basically a form of shortbread in them (jammy dodgers and custard creams for example).
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-07-22 at 02:27 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #4

Whoah, hold on a second.

You guys have cookies too?!?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Whoah, hold on a second.

You guys have cookies too?!?
    "Cookies" generally refers to "those round things with chocolate chips that come from America".
    EDIT: This might help.

Why do Americans use the term "dog biscuit" rather than "dog cookie", anyway?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2015-07-22 at 02:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Right in now, in the loosest definition cookies are biscuits. but they aren't really biscuits are hard not like cookies.
    American "cookies" can also be hard. I don't know what type of cookie to call them, but the "Chessmen(R)" cookies are crunchy, just for example. Not "Ow, my tooth!" hard, but far from squishy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    "Cookies" generally refers to "those round things with chocolate chips that come from America".

Biscuit originally comes from a couple of roots that, taken together, mean "Twice Baked."

Dog biscuits meet the original definition, even though my favorite bread product of all time (drop biscuits) are only baked once.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #8

That does help a lot. So "biscuit" is more like a very generalized term for a large variety of cookies and crackers, and of course there are hundreds of different kinds. I do love some of the names, like "jammie dodgers;" that just sounds fun.

And in retaliation for the dog biscuits, why do Brits use the term "flat" instead of "vertical" when referring to apartments, since most of them are more than one story (at least in urban areas)?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

That does help a lot. So "biscuit" is more like a very generalized term for a large variety of cookies and crackers, and of course there are hundreds of different kinds. I do love some of the names, like "jammie dodgers;" that just sounds fun.

And in retaliation for the dog biscuits, why do Brits use the term "flat" instead of "vertical" when referring to apartments, since most of them are more than one story (at least in urban areas)?
    Because most flats, as I understand it, occupy a single story within a building, whereas a house is more often two stories/have a basement/are otherwise vertically integrated. Flat actually used to be an alternate word for story/floor/etc, but it got associated with apartment buildings instead.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Because most flats, as I understand it, occupy a single story within a building, whereas a house is more often two stories/have a basement/are otherwise vertically integrated. Flat actually used to be an alternate word for story/floor/etc, but it got associated with apartment buildings instead.
    That... makes perfect sense, actually. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

In general our cookies are sweet and our biscuits are savory. I'd say since dog biscuits aren't sweet they fall into being a "hard biscuit". I don't have any problem calling hard tack biscuits "biscuits". If dog biscuits were thinner I think we'd call them "crackers". Now our crackers are usually savory, but can be sweetened like graham crackers, which are similar to British digestive biscuits. Hmm, do we otherwise agree on what crackers are?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    In general our cookies are sweet and our biscuits are savory. I'd say since dog biscuits aren't sweet they fall into being a "hard biscuit". I don't have any problem calling hard tack biscuits "biscuits". If dog biscuits were thinner I think we'd call them "crackers". Now our crackers are usually savory, but can be sweetened like graham crackers, which are similar to British digestive biscuits. Hmm, do we otherwise agree on what crackers are?
    The board rules prohibit me from answering that question.

I'd say a cracker is a thin, crispy bread product.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

That does help a lot. So "biscuit" is more like a very generalized term for a large variety of cookies and crackers, and of course there are hundreds of different kinds.
    Crackers aren't usually called biscuits. They're called crackers.

Hmm, do we otherwise agree on what crackers are?
    Sort of. You don't tend to get Graham's crackers in the UK. UK Crackers are savory thin hardish wafers eaten with butter and usually cheese.

Jacob's Cream Crackers is the normal brand.

Flat actually used to be an alternate word for story/floor/etc, but it got associated with apartment buildings instead.
    'block of flats' is a building. No-one calls a whole building 'a flat', but it might be called 'flats' as a short-hand for 'block of flats'.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-07-22 at 04:13 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    No, not at all. You don't tend to get Graham's crackers in the UK. UK Crackers are savory thin hardish wafers eaten with butter and usually cheese.

Jacob's Cream Crackers is the normal brand.
    Graham crackers are an outlier of the cracker family. I'd say those cream crackers look similar to our Saltine, but the saltine is thinner and more flaky and brittle. Good with cheese. Nom nom nom. The other big popular American cracker is the Ritz, which from that is apparently available in Britland, but in different variations and only "Original" in common. Mmm, sliced Italian dry, hard salami goes well with Ritz, but I could eat a box just plain.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Sort of. You don't tend to get Graham's crackers in the UK. UK Crackers are savory thin hardish wafers eaten with butter and usually cheese.
    Yes but in my parents house these were always referred to as 'cheese biscuits' not crackers
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Yes but in my parents house these were always referred to as 'cheese biscuits' not crackers
    Your parents are weird.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2015-07-22 at 04:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

American "cookies" can also be hard. I don't know what type of cookie to call them, but the "Chessmen(R)" cookies are crunchy, just for example. Not "Ow, my tooth!" hard, but far from squishy.
    Oh, someone else has said those cookies may be close to Scotch shortbread.

ETA: And that's pretty amusing if one item we have identically in common is "shortbread" as a cookie/biscuit.
    Last edited by BannedInSchool; 2015-07-22 at 05:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Crackers aren't usually called biscuits. They're called crackers.
    Crackers are frequently called biscuits. Google image search: cheese and biscuits. All crackers (apart from one pic where some weirdo has put Jammy Dodgers and Bourbons and cheese in the same bowl).

"Water biscuits" are definitely crackers.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Graham crackers are an outlier of the cracker family. I'd say those cream crackers look similar to our Saltine, but the saltine is thinner and more flaky and brittle. Good with cheese. Nom nom nom. The other big popular American cracker is the Ritz, which from that is apparently available in Britland, but in different variations and only "Original" in common. Mmm, sliced Italian dry, hard salami goes well with Ritz, but I could eat a box just plain.
    I'd say cream crackers look to me more like Social crackers (club Social, or Sociables, or all the others), which is what my family going back to at least the 50s has put out for gatherings, parties, etc. with a bit of schmear...

Love social crackers.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

the hovis loaf biscuit a staple of cheese boards everywhere!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

21. - Top - End - #21

ETA: And that's pretty amusing if one item we have identically in common is "shortbread" as a cookie/biscuit.
    "shortening" means "add fat" in cooking terms.

Shortbread is just fat, flour and sugar.

Technically all biscuits/cookies/crackers are a just a specific weird subtype of unleavened bread.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"shortening" means "add fat" in cooking terms.

Technically all biscuits/cookies/crackers are a just a specific weird subtype of unleavened bread.
    Leavened biscuits are a thing in the states.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Your parents are weird.
    No arguments here
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I thought what the Americans called "biscuits" was most similar to some sort of plain unsweetened scone.

My main evidence for this is a picture I saw of "biscuits and gravy" which appeared to be scones liberally coated in baby vomit.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like a cookie to me.
    It's not adding yeast and cookie dough isn't bready enough to end up as bread, but many cookie recipes do add baking soda which is leavening.

Crossing over to another thread, if the rest of the world doesn't have peanut butter cookies I feel sad for you. Oh, when the edge is dry and crumbly, but the middle is still soft. Mmmmmmm. It's just not right if you don't end up with bunches of crumbs.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I thought what the Americans called "biscuits" was most similar to some sort of plain unsweetened scone.

My main evidence for this is a picture I saw of "biscuits and gravy" which appeared to be scones liberally coated in baby vomit.
    That's probably buttermilk biscuits, which are leavened and savory and I would compare to a dense french bread in texture and flavor more than scones, which are completely different, and are commonly served with sausage gravy (which isn't the best, being made from drippings from bacon or sausage and combined with milk, flour, and pepper I find it overly salty and insufficiently gravy, and it does look kinda like baby vomit).

Britain and the US. Two nations divided by a common tongue.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Ahh regional dialects, they can lead to such amusing things at times :)

Of course, all this talk of biscuits vs cookies is now making me think of chips ;)
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Leviathan View Post
    Ahh regional dialects, they can lead to such amusing things at times :)

Of course, all this talk of biscuits vs cookies is now making me think of chips ;)
    Now, do you mean "crisps" or are you referring to potato wedges?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

so what do British people call soft drinks?

cokes? colas? soda? pop? soda pop?

30. - Top - End - #30

Now, do you mean "crisps" or are you referring to potato wedges?
    Yes :D
    Crisps, wedges, fries. They're all the same name in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    so what do British people call soft drinks?

cokes? colas? soda? pop? soda pop?
    Unsure about Britain, but in Australia they're all just "Softdrink". Coke & Cola are specific brands/flavours and 'pop' is something that a bubble does :)
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme