New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Reach weapon. Yay or nay?

Mm. If I took a Psicrystal I could get a Warblade Staff. Those seem cool and give an automatic proficiency so there wouldn't be a need for house rules. On the other hand it seems pretty sub-optimal, especially since the Greater version doesn't double the personality bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    I'm just telling you what it can do. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to. But psicrystals using Autohypnosis is perfectly RAW legal, and it's not even any sort of rules abuse. It's just something you can do. If your group doesn't like it, that's their issue, not mine.
    By RAW it lets you memorize information but it says nothing about how that would affect Knowledge checks.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's a creature. All creatures can utilize items, though oftentimes body-slots are a requirement. But items such as the healing belt don't actually have to be worn to be used, IIRC, and certain items such as belts and rings would be easy enough to wear for a psicrystal with the right shape.
    I don't know if there's a way around this in 3.5, but in PF you definitely need the Waist slot to use a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbodied View Post
    By RAW it lets you memorize information but it says nothing about how that would affect Knowledge checks.
    It might do nothing, might be a circumstance bonus, or it might obviate the need for a check. Though I will point out that simply memorizing something does not mean you have "knowledge" - you have to know where to apply the information too, otherwise it's just data. I could memorize several pages in a medical textbook but that wouldn't tell me when to apply them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Male

Well, the psicrystal would make a DC 10 Knowledge check using its skill ranks. The Autohypnosis would merely give it perfect recall for any information in any book it had read, so if you keep a list of which books it has read, it should automatically know any and all knowledge in those books. If it's reasonable for the information you need to be in those books, the DM should give you that information without a Knowledge roll.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The link in that thread doesn't work by the way. Kind of a shame since I just recalled that pathfinder viking land is absolutely infested with Fey so it might actually be a fitting trait.

Edit:
    If it's reasonable for the information you need to be in those books, the DM should give you that information without a Knowledge roll.
    Only if you know what you're trying to recall and remember that you actually have that information stored. If you go around memorizing libraries worth of information the GM can just as easily rule that you can't keep track of what you're trying to recall unless you succeed on a knowledge check. Or they could rule that recalling knowledge from a book takes just as long as it would to read it normally. Not ideal in the situations where you usually have to make knowledge checks.

The wording and rules don't make it seem like it was intended to replace Knowledge checks.
    Last edited by Unbodied; 2015-07-29 at 05:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Male

The link in that thread doesn't work by the way. Kind of a shame since I just recalled that pathfinder viking land is absolutely infested with Fey so it might actually be a fitting trait.
    It's buried a little ways in here: http://www.thursdaygaming.com/conten...ionalfeats.pdf

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Okay I see it.

Nope that doesn't work. Doesn't fit the character or the backstory.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Male

Okay I see it.

Nope that doesn't work. Doesn't fit the character or the backstory.
    Meh. Fluff is fluff. If the DM is willing to work with you, +Int to hp isn't exactly something that can't conceivably be gotten in any number of ways.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Meh. Fluff is fluff. If the DM is willing to work with you, +Int to hp isn't exactly something that can't conceivably be gotten in any number of ways.
    Probably can't get them on board anyway. Int to HP is absurdly broken. I could dump the everloving sh#t out of Constitution to buff up my other stats and the only thing that would suffer would be my Fortitude saves which don't come up that often anyway.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

-PATHFINDER-
    The dwarven longaxe seems like a perfect fit fluff wise, forged by dwarves and designed to kill giants. Plus its an axe. On the other hand when I try to imagine what an axe with Reach would look like it ended seeming kind of silly and a google image search confirmed my fear.

Ich fail to see why this weapon looks silly.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HammeredWharf View Post
    However, here's another restriction: charging can be more difficult with a Reach weapon. Why? Because...

Example scenario:

You're a large-sized human without any special feats or abilities that modify charging or reach. An ogre with a spear approaches you and stops 15 feet away from you.

1) You're wielding a longspear. You can't charge at the ogre, because you're already in the closest space from which you can attack it.
    2) You're wielding a greatsword. You're not threatening the ogre yet, so you charge at him by moving 10 feet in his direction.

This is a rather common scenario and why you should always carry a shorter weapon as a charger with Reach. If you do that, in case 1) you can drop your spear and charge while drawing your weapon. However, it gets less optimal when your spear is a cool magic weapon and your sword is a piece of normal metal.

So, as most things, it depends greatly on the other parts of your build. Anyway, carrying a decent spear around is never a bad idea, because swapping weapons mid-combat is usually easy enough. It's not like you have to focus on a single weapon type.
    You are wrong.
    Sure, if the enemy stays exactly 15 feet away from you, you do give up ability to charge him - but you can 5-foot step and full attack instead!
    And you can charge enemies that are at the range of (your movement + reach) that you couldn't charge before. Since circumference of a circle is proportional to radius, the number of squares you can attack with a reach weapon is going to be greater than the number of squares you could attack without it.
    Last edited by SinsI; 2015-07-31 at 12:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I'm thinking of playing as a sword and board character. It seems pretty iconic for a viking.

http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Trai...tral%20WeaponI also discovered the Ancestral Weapon trait recently and it seems perfect for a sword and board viking. Fluffwise an ancestral sword is a perfect match for a viking and the standard viking land (Linnorm) in pathfinder is infested with Fey so a cold iron weapon makes even more sense.

Crunchwise the +1 bonus on any weapon made of cold iron also seems like a better fit for a sword and board character than the old Family Heirloom trait. Unless I'm mistaken I should be able to add cold iron Shield Spikes to my shield and get the +1 damage bonus on shield bashes as well correct?

Assuming the GM let's me take this Feat how would you suggest I distribute the points I normally would have spent on Constitution?

I was thinking I could dump Con to get Wisdom to 13 in order to qualify for Psionic Meditation. Does that seem like its worth spending attributes and a feat on or would it be a poor use of Move Actions?
    Would it be better to buff Strength or Dexterity instead? I'm starting at level 10 so I decided to get an implanted Nacreous Grey Sphere and start at Venerable age to get that sweet +3 on all my mental stats, mostly so that the -4 racial penalty on Charisma doesn't turn me into a drooling imbecile incapable of independent thought. Plus I'm picking up immortality as my capstone ability so there's no reason to be afraid of dying of old age.

My current idea for stats is

Str 14 (+2=16) Dex 14 Con 7 Int 17 (+2+3=22) Wis 10 (+3=13) Cha 3 (+3=6)

Should I dump Wisdom somewhat instead so that I can increase my Strength instead?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Male

Assuming the GM let's me take this Feat how would you suggest I distribute the points I normally would have spent on Constitution?

I was thinking I could dump Con to get Wisdom to 13 in order to qualify for Psionic Meditation. Does that seem like its worth spending attributes and a feat on or would it be a poor use of Move Actions?
    Would it be better to buff Strength or Dexterity instead? I'm starting at level 10 so I decided to get an implanted Nacreous Grey Sphere and start at Venerable age to get that sweet +3 on all my mental stats, mostly so that the -4 racial penalty on Charisma doesn't turn me into a drooling imbecile incapable of independent thought. Plus I'm picking up immortality as my capstone ability so there's no reason to be afraid of dying of old age.

My current idea for stats is

Str 14 (+2=16) Dex 14 Con 7 Int 17 (+2+3=22) Wis 10 (+3=13) Cha 3 (+3=6)

Should I dump Wisdom somewhat instead so that I can increase my Strength instead?
    Physical stats are easy to boost (as is Int, for that matter; see 3.5 PAO), so the Wis boost is a good idea.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Physical stats are easy to boost (as is Int, for that matter; see 3.5 PAO), so the Wis boost is a good idea.
    So Wis at 13 or higher?

Is the Meditation feat worth taking or is it a waste of precious Move Actions during combat for a melee character?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Male

So Wis at 13 or higher?

Is the Meditation feat worth taking or is it a waste of precious Move Actions during combat for a melee character?
    Well, for one, you probably won't have much to do with your Swift actions, and Hustle is a thing. Swift action and Hustle, regain your focus, and there you are.

By the way, Linked Power is great for any psionic martial type, because you can toss out lots of buffs without losing your combat actions. There's a reason why psionicists are known for their action economy abuse, and it's there from level 1.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, for one, you probably won't have much to do with your Swift actions, and Hustle is a thing. Swift action and Hustle, regain your focus, and there you are.

By the way, Linked Power is great for any psionic martial type, because you can toss out lots of buffs without losing your combat actions. There's a reason why psionicists are known for their action economy abuse, and it's there from level 1.
    Isn't Intimidate a immediate action for Brutal Disruptors? Or were you thinking of breaking Focus for something else?

But yeah I can see your point. I had thought of that combo but I wasn't sure if it would be best to use Hustle on that.

I don't think Linked Power is a thing in Pathfinder. Do you have a.... link? :P

16. - Top - End - #76
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's not, it's from 3.5. It's also broken to hell as written (overriding the manifesting time of... well, anything) so good luck getting your GM to port it in unchanged.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    You are wrong.
    Sure, if the enemy stays exactly 15 feet away from you, you do give up ability to charge him - but you can 5-foot step and full attack instead!
    Depends on the exact rules (like 3.5 feats being allowed or not), but sometimes you want to charge instead of full attacking. Of course, if your build doesn't rely on charging, being unable to charge is not a problem.

And you can charge enemies that are at the range of (your movement + reach) that you couldn't charge before. Since circumference of a circle is proportional to radius, the number of squares you can attack with a reach weapon is going to be greater than the number of squares you could attack without it.
    True, although in my experience situations where you're too far away for charging are pretty rare after a certain level, at least if you've optimized properly.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

You can always take a free 5-foot step and take a full-attack action, so for a medium character, you are never hindered by the lack of that 5 foot attack zone. I mean, the enemy can prance around in your zone without provoking attacks of opportunity, but who does that anyway? If you've got a spell caster in your reach, why would they take the 5-foot step towards you, rather than away? For melee opponents, they actually provoke attacks of opportunities from you for getting into range, unless they also have reach, or they sit outside your reach, and wait for you to move in, which means you still get attacks in before they can on you. Not to mention some reach weapons can brace against charge. The melee attacker moves in? You 5-foot step away and full attack. Then he 5-foot steps towards you and full attacks. There are also feats which increase your basic reach, and reach weapons double your reach, if you want to invest more into it.

Overall, reach weapons are pretty good, and there's really no mechanical reason not to use them over non-reach melee weapons, aside from the relatively small change in weapon damage, you're in cramped quarters, or you have a specific build in mind. Not to mention, nice DMs will let you pole vault with your weapon. (And in real combat, if you could retain full effectiveness with your spear by simply backing up when someone charges you, then you'd bet they'd do it.)
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2015-08-10 at 10:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    You can always take a free 5-foot step and take a full-attack action, so for a medium character, you are never hindered by the lack of that 5 foot attack zone. I mean, the enemy can prance around in your zone without provoking attacks of opportunity, but who does that anyway? If you've got a spell caster in your reach, why would they take the 5-foot step towards you, rather than away? For melee opponents, they actually provoke attacks of opportunities from you for getting into range, unless they also have reach, or they sit outside your reach, and wait for you to move in, which means you still get attacks in before they can on you. Not to mention some reach weapons can brace against charge. The melee attacker moves in? You 5-foot step away and full attack. Then he 5-foot steps towards you and full attacks. There are also feats which increase your basic reach, and reach weapons double your reach, if you want to invest more into it.

Overall, reach weapons are pretty good, and there's really no mechanical reason not to use them over non-reach melee weapons, aside from the relatively small change in weapon damage, you're in cramped quarters, or you have a specific build in mind. Not to mention, nice DMs will let you pole vault with your weapon. (And in real combat, if you could retain full effectiveness with your spear by simply backing up when someone charges you, then you'd bet they'd do it.)
    Damn it now I'm uncertain again. :(

I think I'm just going to stick with sword and shield though.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post

Now I'm tempted to go with the Longspear again. Maybe have a backup weapon on hand, if I take the Ancestral Weapon trait I get a +1 no matter which weapon I use. It has to be cold iron or silver though.

Does Psychoportive Talent seem like a good trait for a Reach weapon user?

Benefit: You can expend your psionic focus as an immediate action to make a five-foot step. You may do this even if you have already moved in the round in question, although not if you have already taken a five-foot step, and doing so does not prevent further movement in this round. This talent grants no benefit if you do not have the ability to gain psionic focus.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Benefit: You can expend your psionic focus as an immediate action to make a five-foot step. You may do this even if you have already moved in the round in question, although not if you have already taken a five-foot step, and doing so does not prevent further movement in this round. This talent grants no benefit if you do not have the ability to gain psionic focus.
    That would help those with reach weapons the most, yes. Sure, if your opponents only have 5ft reach anyway, then it's great for all melee. But, if you're facing someone with reach, all that extra 5ft step is going to do is prevent 1 extra AoO, where as if you had equal reach to them, then you could likely back out with that feat, and avoid any AoOs.
    Its best application is retreat, so in most D&D games (so far that I've played), it's one of the weaker feats you can have.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Male

Reach weapon. Yay or nay?

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Question: Like a lot of races the Forgeborn get a +1 Natural Armor bonus. However they have an alternate Racial Ability that instead decreases Armor Check penalties by 1. As a Cryptic I only get proficiency with light armor. However my build is focused around strength so I don't really need armor with a high cap on Dexterity to AC. Would it be a good idea to grab the armor penalty reduction from race and another armor penalty reduction with a trait and then deck myself out in Mithral Hellknight Plate or Mithral Field Plate?
    Last edited by Unbodied; 2015-08-12 at 11:14 AM.