Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    This is the thread for discussing Rebecca Sugar's show about a conspiracy of sapient space rocks who take over America. Sneeple may be involved.

    Keep Beach City weird!



    Threads:





    Steven Universe returns on August 6th with "Super Watermelon Island" where we learn the fate of all the Watermelon Stevens.

    Also, it's been renewed for season 3! Yay!
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-07-24 at 07:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Imagine if the combat system was as well thought out and explained as the skill system. You could cut it down to a page and a half, monsters would be about three sentences long. Best of all you don't have to remember any tables for conditions or detail the special abilities because you've got rulings instead of rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Admiral Squish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On my back, in my heart
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Ahh, that new-thread smell. So lovely.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

    Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

    Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    I'm curious as to what we'll see in the new episode. This show has a good 50/50 track record of "oh this episode description sounds innocent OH GOD LAPIS IS BLEEDING WATER OUT OF HEY SUNKEN FACE HOLES".

    Also that reminds me, remember to spoiler stuff!
    MtG 3.5e Campaign: Set 1 - Service

    Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight

    Here's a list of all my LPs in Extended Signature form. Please enjoy!


    Momo Zodi by Cuthalion. This is truly the most adorable Zodi!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    So you know some fusions have more eyes than others, and generally more arms?

    Like Garnet has 3 eyes, but Ruby and Sapphire have a total of 3 eyes between them so nothingreally changes. Opal has four arms, but two eyes. Alexandrite has 6 arms and presumably 7 eyes, but she also has 2 mouths. I think one of them is specifically Pearl's because she doesn't like eating. Or maybe it's Amethyst's because she goes out of her way to eat things. But it still makes sense because there could have been up to three mouths.

    What would you say about Malachite having 6 arms when only four came into the equation from the beginning (assume my theory about Jasper being a fusion is incorrect).

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Malachite has 6 arms, but also no legs. Given that all fusions tend to stay at 2 legs, it's a pretty standard 6-limb configuration that a lot of fusions (Opal, Sardonyx, Sugilite) have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Imagine if the combat system was as well thought out and explained as the skill system. You could cut it down to a page and a half, monsters would be about three sentences long. Best of all you don't have to remember any tables for conditions or detail the special abilities because you've got rulings instead of rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Yes, but generally the extra arms/eyes that fusions have don't just come out of nowhere. Lapis and Jasper have four arms and four legs between them, but Malachite has 6 arms and 0 legs. The only other 6-armed fusion is Alexandrite, and her, er, "components" have a total of 8 arms among the four of them, so she stI'll technically loses two arms. Malachite gains two arms and loses two legs. That's just... weird.

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Admiral Squish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On my back, in my heart
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Maybe it's related to compatibility?

    Okay, let's look at the fusions.
    Ruby+Sapphire=Garnet: three eyes.
    Pearl+Amethyst=Opal: Four Arms.
    Pearl+Rose=Rainbow Quartz: Four eyes
    Amethyst+Ruby+Sapphire= Sugilite: Four arms, five eyes
    Pearl+Ruby+Sapphire= Sardonyx: Four arms, four eyes
    Pearl+Amethyst+Ruby+Sapphire= Alexandrite: Six arms, two mouths, eyes unknown
    Jasper+Lapis= Malachite: Six Arms, no legs, four eyes.

    I dunno, there doesn't seem to be any notable trends in this data. Some of them add features together (eyes, arms), merge other traits in the process. Like, Opal adds the two's arms together, but the eyes merge. Garnet adds eyes, but arms and legs merge. Sugilite adds arms and eyes. Sardonyx adds arms, and adds most of the eyes. Malachite adds eyes, and somehow add extra arms while losing all the legs? It's very strange.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2015-07-24 at 12:01 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

    Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

    Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Vulkan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Well maybe Jasper was the first attempt at putting Gem fragments together and in her case it worked out and she just forgot who she was before?
    I know that's grasping at straws but fusion is kinda weird. Plus she's like the only Gem with two skin tones aside from those abominations at attempted forced fusion in the episode "Keeping it together."

    Either that that or they thought the design looked cool.
    That's also a possibility I mean Jasper's aren't solid colors in real life so~ that's probably why too.
    (But it could make for good drama later on down the line if they wanted)
    Last edited by Vulkan; 2015-07-24 at 12:04 PM.

    Avatar by Cdr.Fallout

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Admiral Squish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On my back, in my heart
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    I admit, I'm rather fond of the 'Jasper as forced fusion' theory, it makes a lot of sense, and it would be a really cool narrative. But I can't imagine that homeworld would still be interested in the Cluster if they had a walking, talking, functional and very effective forced fusion warrior on hand.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

    Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

    Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Phase's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Vulkan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    mystery solved!

    Avatar by Cdr.Fallout

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Admiral Squish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On my back, in my heart
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Not arguing this particular point, but keep in mind, for future reference, writers lie.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

    Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

    Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    What would you say about Malachite having 6 arms when only four came into the equation from the beginning (assume my theory about Jasper being a fusion is incorrect).
    She's screwed up, that's what it means.
    I would like to preemptively apologize if I say or do anything rude. I have Asperger's syndrome and therefore sometimes come of as being rude when I do not Intend to. I answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw, and in Homestuck I'd be the Page of Life

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: My OC, Bookmark
    Show
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    She's screwed up, that's what it means.
    Maybe Lapis' water hands count as real hands or something in the fusion.

    Or maybe Jaspar has two hands for her feet.

    Or maybe, and stop me if you've heard this before, but since they're bodies are made out of light energy they can afford to change themselves a little during fusions.

    Though yes Jaspar definitely has problems. Basically every gem we've seen so far except for maybe Rose have some issues they need to work out.
    MtG 3.5e Campaign: Set 1 - Service

    Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight

    Here's a list of all my LPs in Extended Signature form. Please enjoy!


    Momo Zodi by Cuthalion. This is truly the most adorable Zodi!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Basically every gem we've seen so far except for maybe Rose have some issues they need to work out.
    I'm still convinced that the only reason Rose sounds perfect is because we've mostly heard about her from people who adore her, and everyone else has still been someone who greatly respected her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Imagine if the combat system was as well thought out and explained as the skill system. You could cut it down to a page and a half, monsters would be about three sentences long. Best of all you don't have to remember any tables for conditions or detail the special abilities because you've got rulings instead of rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lurkmoar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm still convinced that the only reason Rose sounds perfect is because we've mostly heard about her from people who adore her, and everyone else has still been someone who greatly respected her.
    She seemed to treat Greg like a passing fancy until they actually started talking... though that might be a sound mentality when you're ageless and living around mortals.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Well, we know before she really got to know Greg that, however much she liked humans, she could be quite condescending on an individual level to them, saying, "Oh, I love humans!" the way most people might say, "Oh, I love dogs!" Also, like most Gems, reading human emotions was not her strong suit.
    On a more speculative level, something, we don't know what yet, made her want to make her take a stand and protect this planet and its humans. That's likely quite a shift in behaviour, given what we see of the Homeworld gems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm still convinced that the only reason Rose sounds perfect is because we've mostly heard about her from people who adore her, and everyone else has still been someone who greatly respected her.
    I didn't include Rose because her entire time with Greg basically had her fix those problems she had, I think. Like, I would not be surprised if when we learn she's Pink Diamond, we also learn she was the most violent of the Diamonds. I feel like the Rose we've seen is one, in that movie Steven watched, was the Rose at a long, looong end of a character journey that brought her from horrific tyrant to a person who'd give up her own life just to make the world just one person more beautiful then it was before.
    MtG 3.5e Campaign: Set 1 - Service

    Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight

    Here's a list of all my LPs in Extended Signature form. Please enjoy!


    Momo Zodi by Cuthalion. This is truly the most adorable Zodi!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    So are you suggesting that we're seeing her through Rose-colored glasses?

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    So are you suggesting that we're seeing her through Rose-colored glasses?
    I would like to preemptively apologize if I say or do anything rude. I have Asperger's syndrome and therefore sometimes come of as being rude when I do not Intend to. I answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw, and in Homestuck I'd be the Page of Life

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: My OC, Bookmark
    Show
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    So are you suggesting that we're seeing her through Rose-colored glasses?
    My response is-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Thank you.
    MtG 3.5e Campaign: Set 1 - Service

    Zodi Plays: Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight

    Here's a list of all my LPs in Extended Signature form. Please enjoy!


    Momo Zodi by Cuthalion. This is truly the most adorable Zodi!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Connie, before her eyes got licked cured, literally had rose coloured glasses.
    Symbolism? Signs point to yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I didn't include Rose because her entire time with Greg basically had her fix those problems she had, I think. Like, I would not be surprised if when we learn she's Pink Diamond, we also learn she was the most violent of the Diamonds. I feel like the Rose we've seen is one, in that movie Steven watched, was the Rose at a long, looong end of a character journey that brought her from horrific tyrant to a person who'd give up her own life just to make the world just one person more beautiful then it was before.
    Eh. There's only slightly more evidence for Rose the past villain than there is for Peridot the future hero. I'm a little reminded of a line from Alan Moore, which I'm probably misquoting- "why is it the most noble have the most guilty consciences?"

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Eh. There's only slightly more evidence for Rose the past villain than there is for Peridot the future hero. I'm a little reminded of a line from Alan Moore, which I'm probably misquoting- "why is it the most noble have the most guilty consciences?"
    Well, she was sorta villain because she was working for, maybe even leading, a regime that was using a planet with sentient life for its Gem experiments/breeding that would result in the eventual extinction of all life on that planet. But I don't see any indication she was the ' she was the most violent of the Diamonds', at least yet.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2015-07-25 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Well, she was sorta villain because she was working for, maybe even leading, a regime that was using a planet with sentient life for its Gem experiments/breeding that would result in the eventual extinction of all life on that planet. But I don't see any indication she was the ' she was the most violent of the Diamonds', at least yet.
    *shrugs* It's conceivable the kindergarten experiment might happened some time after their arrival though, and not with their active cooperation. I guess the default interpretation would implicate her to some degree, but the details are still very fuzzy.

    You know what this actually reminds me of? Kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum hardness-wise, but Dragon's Egg was a pretty good take on encounters between species that live on vastly different timescales.

    "Garnet, could you check on the humans? I swear- if they develop agriculture again we will never get them out of the walls."

    ...And they never did. *shakes head sadly*

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    RP limbo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    *shrugs* It's conceivable the kindergarten experiment might happened some time after their arrival though, and not with their active cooperation. I guess the default interpretation would implicate her to some degree, but the details are still very fuzzy.

    You know what this actually reminds me of? Kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum hardness-wise, but Dragon's Egg was a pretty good take on encounters between species that live on vastly different timescales.

    "Garnet, could you check on the humans? I swear- if they develop agriculture again we will never get them out of the walls."

    ...And they never did. *shakes head sadly*
    If we presume her to have been one of four ultimate rulers of Gem society, then it's almost certain that the kindergarten would have been set up with either her knowledge or direct approval rather than being something that just somehow got lost in the shuffle or never would have come to her attention. I mean, unless the kindergarten being set up was exactly what caused her to go rogue, anyway.

    Nor do we know that the kindergarten was an experiment rather than just their modus operandi for baking new gems.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-07-25 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    I wonder why they were making so many. Remember, this was something they planned to do to the entire planet, and Gems are Immortal and pretty damn hard to destroy. That implies a need for sudden population increase, which potentially implies something else: War. Not just the rebellion on Earth, but a War out among the stars.Was Homeworld fighting other Gems, or is there Something Else out there?
    If so, is it still out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    If we presume her to have been one of four ultimate rulers of Gem society, then it's almost certain that the kindergarten would have been set up with either her knowledge or direct approval rather than being something that just somehow got lost in the shuffle or never would have come to her attention. I mean, unless the kindergarten being set up was exactly what caused her to go rogue, anyway.

    Nor do we know that the kindergarten was an experiment rather than just their modus operandi for baking new gems.
    Can someone tell me where the 4-diamonds thing came up in the show again? I seem to have completely missed that.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I wonder why they were making so many. Remember, this was something they planned to do to the entire planet, and Gems are Immortal and pretty damn hard to destroy. That implies a need for sudden population increase, which potentially implies something else: War. Not just the rebellion on Earth, but a War out among the stars.Was Homeworld fighting other Gems, or is there Something Else out there?
    If so, is it still out there?
    Accidents happen over time and the Gems, while immortal, don't seem to reproduce naturally. Perhaps it was just time (or should I say, random accidents that will happen overtime) that was dwindling the gem population.


    On the other hand Pearl said she was only a few thousand years old when she fought in the Gem Wars and we know she was not born on Earth unlike Amethyst. Was Pearl created using a Kindergarten on another planet? Her conversation with Amethyst seems to indicate that not being the case. So if Gems aren't normally born through the Kindergartens then how are they normally made?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-07-25 at 08:19 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Accidents happen over time and the Gems, while immortal, don't seem to reproduce naturally. Perhaps it was just time (or should I say, random accidents that will happen overtime) that was dwindling the gem population.
    On the other hand Pearl said she was only a few thousand years old when she fought in the Gem Wars and we know she was not born on Earth unlike Amethyst. Was Pearl created using a Kindergarten on another planet? Her conversation with Amethyst seems to indicate that not being the case. So if Gems aren't normally born through the Kindergartens then how are they normally made?
    Yes, but why make so many at once, especially if this was an unnatural means of reproduction for gems. Even if it's typical, so many at once implies a sudden increase in demand. Sure, Gems don't need to eat,but why increase their population so immensly if there was no need beyond the normal rate of natural death from misadventure. Even if life bearing worlds are rare in the cosmos, they were planning to do the Kindergarten to the whole planet. That's a lot of Gems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •