New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Megaman NT Warrior/ Battle Network-esque setting.

Ok, so... back in middle school I was a big fan of the Megaman: Battle Network series. I kind of outgrew it after a while as I learned more about writing, finding the story in both series kind of "meh." However, I still very much like the concept behind the setting, depicting a world where computer networking is advanced to the point where a separate, interactive "Cyberworld" is created, as well as Personal Terminals (PETs) which house sentient, customizable Artificial Intelligences known as Network Navigators (Or NetNavi's). These AI's would be used to interact with the Cyberworld, as well as defend it from sentient viruses and various forms of cyber-criminals/terrorists with the use of innate antiviral weapons and weapon programs sent via battle chip.

I think this could be a pretty cool roleplaying game. Thing of it is, I think it could be... edgier. Cooler.

Ideas?
    Last edited by Sir Grave; 2015-07-24 at 01:34 PM.
    Very busy these days and so posting will be sparse.

Extended Sig.

Lady Cordelia of Grimmfell Avatar created by yours truly.

Spoiler: Full image
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Megaman NT Warrior/ Battle Network-esque setting.

Man, I always wanted to play in a game like this, but I'm the only one in my social circle that even knows who Megaman is. :(

What system do you want to use? I've heard GURPS can do anything, but have never used it myself. Keeping your player's NAVIs as varied and customisable as possible is important to maintain that awesome uniqueness of each main character NAVI like in the games, so I'd look at the Eidilon rules from PF's summoners or the Droid rules from SWSE to get an idea for what kind of stuff is possible when customizing your character.

Sorry I don't have any better starting suggestions, and good luck!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

This idea sounds like it might work somewhat similarly to running a Digital Web game for Mage: The Ascension - with some modification and updating it might be possible to utilize those rules as a baseline for this game. The digital spirit phenomena in particular are very flexible once you get a handle on them, though the barrier to entry is fairly high. I suppose it depends on whether you want to go rules-light or favor something heavier, which as wizardpants suggested might be a good call to look into GURPS.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Arguably you could use Shadowrun rules for something like this- there's already the split between the Matrix and the real world kinda like how the real and cyber worlds worked in MMBN.