New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default What's the best dimension to live?

I must confess I'm kind of getting tired of earth; people are horrible, lots of violence, corruption and injustice...

So if I was a powerful wizard i would just pack my things and leave... The question is where.

Out of all worlds, universes, dimensions, realms and planes of all forms of media which one you guys think is the best place to escape to?

OBS: No, afterlives since I bet heaven or the realm of the devas are really nice but you have to be dead to go there (And the rules don’t allow us to talk about religion), I'm looking for a place I could go to alive, with no or the minimum of violence, injustice and a place where you can relax and have fun with the least of worries, immortality is always a plus.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What's the best dimension to live?

I prefer the first dimension. Really cuts down on moving costs.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Drop me off at Iain M. Banks The Culture universe on your way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I prefer the first dimension. Really cuts down on moving costs.
    Are you sure you want to live there?

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Are you sure you want to live there?

Excuse me sir, that is at least two dimensions.

6. - Top - End - #6

Excuse me sir, that is at least two dimensions.
    Well, if two dimensions are this bad can you even picture how it must be like living in one dimension?
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Well, if two dimensions are this bad can you even picture how it must be like living in one dimension?
    I've never heard any complaints.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Star Trek universe might have promise; though I'd recommend staying out of Starfleet (and for the love of Roddenberry, if you must see the galaxy, stay out of Security). Good technology level, pseudo-utopian society, and as long as you aren't unlucky to get caught by the odd Borg invasion, things are pretty peaceful. Immortality is unlikely here, but a technological solution may be partially successful.

Redwall is another potential destination, if you don't mind a very low tech level, and no real magic (so no immortality). The Abbey is a very safe and friendly place most of the time, and small enough to avoid problems that come with larger populations. There are occasional attacks by roving bands of vermin, but the Abbey has only been captured once. The cooking is known to be particularly good (and they do eat fish regularly, so you don't have to be entirely vegetarian).

Overall, your best bet for a safe, peaceful reality is probably My Little Pony's Equestria. Versatile, abundant magic offsets the lack of technological development, and the most serious incidents are merely friendship problems (or monster attacks, but those are usually wrapped up in half an hour or so). Most settled areas are very safe, but mildly dangerous regions do exist if you feel the need to adventure (also, avoid Ponyville; it's not as idyllic as it sounds). Simply report anything disturbing the peace to your local Princess and let her deal with it. The climate is tightly controlled, so no worrying about thunderstorm messing up your weekend plans (as long as the weather factory in Cloudsdale is operational), and the produce is reputed to be excellent. Due to primarily hosting a population of herbivores, meat may be hard to come by, but there's the possibility of importing it from carnivorous neighbors (no pun intended). Local metaphysics may require a translation into an ungulate form; unicorn is recommended to preserve spellcasting, and obtain telekinesis as a replacement for hands. Immortality is believed to be possible here, but may require some form of ascension.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Best dimension to live in? The 24th century of the manga/anime series Aria by Kozue Amano. There are no existential threats, no real significant social problems, it's a utopia for people to actually live in not a sterile bubble or a "if people all agreed with me it would be perfect"-kind of world.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know.

most of the stuff I know is pretty problematic or dark or whatever.

but I guess thats what happens when you go for nothing but action/adventure, fantasy, and anime. lots of worlds you like to watch, not a lot you'd actually like to live in.

though I could go for El Goonish Shive, if I get transformation magic. solving my gender/sex problems with a single spell would be pretty nice, and it seems to be one of the safest urban fantasy universes out there, and would have the same tech level.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suttle View Post
    I'm looking for a place I could go to alive, with no or the minimum of violence, injustice and a place where you can relax and have fun with the least of worries
    If those are the criteria you're probably ending up in some form of kids show. How does Teletubbie land sound? Sesame Street maybe? The Care Bears? My Little Pony, either version? Those places tend to have the least violent and easiest to solve conflicts, and sometimes people just entirely get along for episodes at a time.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-01-29 at 02:42 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, equestria should be fine if you want to be as safe as possible. I'm also sure there must be some universe where there are no injuries or death, period. Probably some other kids show. Or looney tunes where all pain is comedy.
    On the other hand I feel like I would want some excitement in my universe.. And the possibility of more... mature fun. With the possibility to be at least a little bit powerful myself. Maybe the dragonball universe? If I could put in the effort to train... And there's always resurrection in case you die.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    On the other hand I feel like I would want some excitement in my universe.. And the possibility of more... mature fun. With the possibility to be at least a little bit powerful myself. Maybe the dragonball universe? If I could put in the effort to train... And there's always resurrection in case you die.
    Marvel Earth prior to the start of the latest Volume of Venom might be your digs: The Symbiote, fresh off a heal/face turn during it's time with Eugene "Flash" Thompson was looking for another host to be a hero with, so as long as you're willing to try and be a good person and help people if you time things right you can prevent two of the biggest "god damn it, Marvels" in the last year and get some high end Super Powers.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to argue for the "violence, chaos and general unpleasentness" dimension we live in. Living in bad times make people strive to live in good times. When you live in the best times, what's the point in making it better? There is no better. You're already at the best. I for one would rather take the crap we've got. Warts and all.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I think the Pokemon universe might be a good baseline.

As much fun as it is to deconstruct that universe (parallels to dog fighting, child neglect etc) from what we see most places are inhabited by happy people, getting seriously hurt is hard work (this is true for a lot more cartoons, but in some cases it applies specifically to the heroes while normal civilians are still squishy, that doesn't seem the case here) so it's a great place for adventuring, costs of living seem to be nonexistent to trivial and you can choose to have a bunch of animal buddies who will automatically like you and almost automatically obey you, and they have all sorts of cool powers that make life easier. Getting around is easy as distances are short, yet the three trees between Whereyoucomefrom Town and Thisplaceisgreat City house a full ecosystem of awesome natury stuff, except with half tame animals.

If I did decide to leave this universe (leaving, family, friends, valuable skillsets, stuff, I'd have to think about this) I'd probably go somewhere like that. I can always go gambling in the Team Rocket hideout when the ten year olds saving the world get too annoying.

Silly enough action movie universes could also be nice. As long as people don't die from jumping between rooftops and getting shot at a bit.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-01-29 at 07:00 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I'd have to say that the world of the Curious George cartoons looks pleasant, except possibly for The-Man-in-the-Yellow-Hat, but even so that guy is rich, a multi-room apartment in a building with a Doorman, and a country cottage, plus all the free time he seems to have?

Why nicer than what the working stiffs on the Island of Sodor deal with.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I'd like to argue for the "violence, chaos and general unpleasentness" dimension we live in. Living in bad times make people strive to live in good times. When you live in the best times, what's the point in making it better? There is no better. You're already at the best. I for one would rather take the crap we've got. Warts and all.
    Hah! By that logic, I'd go for Dragon Ball Z. At least then the constant struggle to make things good will give me ultimate power as I train harder and harder to become a martial god until you you can destroy the entire universe, and you can wish for true no-strings-attached, no-one-can-kill-you immortality. sure its a grimdark universe far worse than ours if you look at it objectively without its happy appearance, but if struggle is whats meaningful then any shonen anime has struggling much more meaningful than anything you'd do in real life.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I seem to remember a Cracked video on this point, the key takeaway from which is that they're all bad.

Think about it. In every movie or comic or story or what-have-you in which our dimension exists in parallel with another dimension, things from that dimension are trying to get here because that dimension is legitimately horrible at best, or outright Hellish at worst. You pretty much never encounter truly altruistic beings from another dimension coming to this one and promising access to their paradisiacal world, which turns out to actually be paradisiacal without strings attached. There's always a catch.

Now, if we rule out worlds that exist in parallel with ours, and just look at worlds that exist in a vacuum, that's a different story. I'm honestly kind of a fan of Cephiro (Magic Knight Rayearth). If you get past the admittedly dark concept of servitude that exists within it (one person is forced to spend her entire life in constant devoted meditation to maintain the world's existence), it's a true meritocracy. Cephiro is a world "where your will determines everything" in a very literal sense - the stronger your will is, the more powerful you are, a fact that is recognized and generally embraced by the people. It's the ultimate opportunity to be everything you can be. Heck, there's one point where a child mage, attempting to impress the girl with whom he is infatuated, ages himself into maturity, not with magic, but simply by wanting it enough. Pure willpower. Imagine what you could do.

Imagine what I could do.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Hah! By that logic, I'd go for Dragon Ball Z. At least then the constant struggle to make things good will give me ultimate power as I train harder and harder to become a martial god until you you can destroy the entire universe, and you can wish for true no-strings-attached, no-one-can-kill-you immortality. sure its a grimdark universe far worse than ours if you look at it objectively without its happy appearance, but if struggle is whats meaningful then any shonen anime has struggling much more meaningful than anything you'd do in real life.
    If you go with DBZ as it was shown in America, most conflicts occur in either 1) miles of deserted land not close to population centers, or 2) abandoned warehouses and buildings. I didn't want a lot of the stuff post the Namek/Freza saga, but I think the only time we see humans dying is when Nappa destroyed a fleet of ships/airplanes.

Barring the occasional destruction of the planet (which is then undone via a Dragon Ball wish), mundanes are pretty safe.
    I wonder if that world has monster insurance

I'm expecting at least one reply rebutting my view of this universe, which I reckon will be a legit counterargument. But maybe this applies to other universes. What about the original Power Rangers? Sure you might get brainwashed or see monsters from time to time, and the world almost gets destroyed/conquered occasionally, but as long as you aren't in the abandoned warehouse district business, you'll probably be okay and get to see cool stuff on the news.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, being honest I can myself see "doing the Momonga" with one of my favourite Fantasy Settings.

A World you know very well, and love, while being at the absolute apex of its power Level check most of my boxes.

But for your limitations, OP, Equestria actually does sound amazingly well suited.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I've never heard any complaints.
    The zeroeth dimension, on the other hand...

(source)

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

You could try the Land of Oz, it's a calm and nice place, everyone who lives there gains immortality most of the regions are settled with prosperous and contented people.

The only problem is that magic is not allowed there unless you are Glinda and Oz is completely surrounded on all four sides by a desert which insulates the citizens of the Land of Oz from discovery, it also kind of turns anyone who touches it to sand, so there's that.

Also, sometimes the you have to deal with the Gnome King and General Jinjur attacks but you will be a civilian so you won't have to worry.
    Last edited by Amazon; 2018-01-29 at 12:57 PM.
    "The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can I write Fanfiction and then choose that Universum?

24. - Top - End - #24

By that logic, should we actively try to make the world worse, so that we have more potential improvement to look forward to?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    By that logic, should we actively try to make the world worse, so that we have more potential improvement to look forward to?
    Or at the very least it means that the former United States in the Fallout world is the best place to live.

Becuase with raiders, everything being radioactive, cannibals, and at least two entirely differant classifications of monstrous mutant, with "used to be human, now a barely sapeint flesheater" being a subtype of both, it is one hell of a heckhole to live in, and thus will drive one to do their best.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    If you go with DBZ as it was shown in America, most conflicts occur in either 1) miles of deserted land not close to population centers, or 2) abandoned warehouses and buildings. I didn't want a lot of the stuff post the Namek/Freza saga, but I think the only time we see humans dying is when Nappa destroyed a fleet of ships/airplanes.

Barring the occasional destruction of the planet (which is then undone via a Dragon Ball wish), mundanes are pretty safe.
    I wonder if that world has monster insurance

I'm expecting at least one reply rebutting my view of this universe, which I reckon will be a legit counterargument. But maybe this applies to other universes. What about the original Power Rangers? Sure you might get brainwashed or see monsters from time to time, and the world almost gets destroyed/conquered occasionally, but as long as you aren't in the abandoned warehouse district business, you'll probably be okay and get to see cool stuff on the news.
    Cell eats entire populations of cities, Buu killed the entire population of Earth without destroying the planet, then there is the alternate timeline where Future Trunks is the only hero and the Androids killed tons of humans then Goku Black came along and kill the entire remainder along with all the gods until the Future Trunks timeline was wiped out entirely by an even greater god.

and the latest arc is literally about Zen-Oh, the top most god of Dragon Ball, erasing universes from existence, simply because they lose a tournament.

Basically? any timeline where there are no Dragon Balls, everything on Earth is screwed, and they're not common things- Dragon Balls are rare artifacts, with only three sets in existence. while ki fighters capable of destroying planets are far more common. so imagine how it is out there where a vast majority of the universe of Dragon Ball has no access to Dragon Balls but lots of access to planet destroying attacks.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    "Don't be so gloomy. After all, it's not that awful. You know what the fellow said: in Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." -The Third Man.

28. - Top - End - #28

Someone already said Pokemon so I'll just double down on that. It looks like a positively pleasant place to live whether you want to be a trainer or not.

What ultimate power? You're a human being and, this is the important part, not Goku - so whatever power level you'll manage to reach will be insignificant. From all the worlds to pick from, Dragonball Z's is probably the worst (EDIT: And you know that, I realized your post was tongue in cheek a little too late).
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2018-01-30 at 09:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Cell eats entire populations of cities, Buu killed the entire population of Earth without destroying the planet, then there is the alternate timeline where Future Trunks is the only hero and the Androids killed tons of humans then Goku Black came along and kill the entire remainder along with all the gods until the Future Trunks timeline was wiped out entirely by an even greater god.

and the latest arc is literally about Zen-Oh, the top most god of Dragon Ball, erasing universes from existence, simply because they lose a tournament.

Basically? any timeline where there are no Dragon Balls, everything on Earth is screwed, and they're not common things- Dragon Balls are rare artifacts, with only three sets in existence. while ki fighters capable of destroying planets are far more common. so imagine how it is out there where a vast majority of the universe of Dragon Ball has no access to Dragon Balls but lots of access to planet destroying attacks.
    clarification: Zeno-sama was going to erase the universes anyway. It's not so much your universe gets erased as punishment for losing as much as the prize for winning is that your universe is off the chopping block.

Other issue with Dragon Ball: Bad Guys just tend to come out of flipping nowhere and be stronger than anything or anybody you've ever faced before and the Red Ribbon Army just will not die.

Especially if we're throwing movies and videogames into the mix, in which case Doctor Gero has a bazzillion backup plans hidden all over the planet(poor android 21) and the very fabric of time and space is in constant danger.

And in the GT timeline, the Dragon Balls are booby-trapped and will kill everyone if used seven times in one century.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The Culture, as mentioned.

Pretty much untoppable in terms of uptopias.

So you are saying that the reality in which we are, leaving aside all the other massively problematic issues, where there are large numbers of people miserable and dying every day from catastrophic lack of basic potable water, food, shelter and/or medicine is perfectly fine?

Or am I just making people annoyed again by bringing that up again?
    Well, tough.